Panic Room || Jughead Jones

By jetblackashx

Savanna feels like there's nothing that can surprise her anymore after living in Riverdale. The town with pep... More

I Got You // THE SERIES PLAYLIST
Introduction
The Characters
In Memoriam // Part One
In Memoriam // Part Three
Fast Times at Riverdale High // Part One
Fast Times at Riverdale High // Part Two
Fast Times at Riverdale High // Part Three
Dog Day Afternoon // Part One
Dog Day Afternoon // Part Two
Halloween // Part One
Halloween // Part Two
Halloween // Part Three
Witness for the Prosecution // Part One
Witness for the Prosecution // Part Two
Witness for the Prosecution // Part Three
Hereditary // Part One
Hereditary // Part Two
Hereditary // Part Three
The Ice Storm // Part One
The Ice Storm // Part Two
In Treatment // Part One
In Treatment // Part Two
Tangerine // Part One
Tangerine // Part Two
Varsity Blues // Part One
Varsity Blues // Part Two
Varsity Blues // Part Three
Quiz Show // Part One
Quiz Show // Part Two
Men of Honor // Part One
Men of Honor // Part Two
The Ides of March // Part One
The Ides of March // Part Two
How to Get Away with Murder // Part One
How to Get Away with Murder // Part Two
How to Get Away with Murder // Part Three
To Die For // Part One
To Die For // Part Two
The Locked Room // Part One
The Locked Room // Part Two
The Locked Room // Part Three
Wicked Little Town // Part One
Wicked Little Town // Part Two
Wicked Little Town // Part Three
Killing Mr. Honey // Part One
Killing Mr. Honey // Part Two
Killing Mr. Honey // Part Three
Climax // Part One
Climax // Part Two
Climax // Part Three
The Preppy Murders // Part One
The Preppy Murders // Part Two

In Memoriam // Part Two

1.2K 33 7
By jetblackashx

The 3AM phone call wasn't a surprise to me, or Jughead, for that matter. We were barely sleeping anyways, too awake with thoughts of the events of the day. Veronica didn't say much, just to come as soon as possible and probably grab some coffee. Mocha was sound asleep on my lap, barely awake to go to the bathroom before we piled back into my car to go to Archie's house. Betty and Veronica were both by his side when I parked, Reggie pulling up just across the street.

He tossed a set of keys over to Archie. "She's all yours, bro."

"How do you even have a hearse, Reggie?" Veronica asked the question everyone was wondering.

He shrugged. "It's been sitting on the lot for two years. No one wants to buy it."

"Well, I owe you, Reg," Archie sighed as he twisted the keys between his fingers. "Thank you. And, you guys, I'm sorry for calling so late."

I shook my head, curling further under my hoodie as I held Mocha between my arms. "It's no problem, Archie. Don't worry about it."

"I just.. I don't want my dad stuck in some weird town, and I can't wait until July 5th to bring him back. He'd want to be home. I know that."

The drive to Cherry Creek was eerie, to say the least. I had never ridden in a hearse, not that I planned to, but between Jughead and Betty, the three of us almost drifted to sleep multiple times as Archie drove through the night. I don't know how he managed to stay awake off pure adrenaline, but he did and by morning, we had arrived at our destination.

Archie and Veronica went inside to deal with the police while Jughead, Betty, and I busied ourselves with walking around to stretch out our legs. Mocha was having a field day, bouncing around with newfound energy as he tried to find a suitable spot to go to the bathroom.

"Guys, they're ready for us!" Veronica's voice interrupted our random conversation as we piled back into the hearse to head over to the funeral home. Mocha remained in my arms when we arrived, the five of us walking into the older building that was oddly quiet and smelled of sage, honestly.

"Hi, I'm Veronica Lodge. We just spoke," My sister introduced as we walked into an office space. "This is Archie Andrews, he's..."

"I'm Fred Andrews' son," Archie finished as he shook the man's hand.

The man in front of us nodded. "Yes, of course. My condolences. How can I help you, Mr. Andrews?"

Archie tucked his hands into his pockets as he spoke, "I want to bring my dad home."

The man didn't seem enthusiastic about the idea. "It was my understanding the deceased would be transported to Riverdale on the 5th."

"I know. That's.. It's not right. I.. I want him home. And I want to be the one who brings him home. Today."

"I understand," The director said, "But I'm afraid that's not possible. You're an underage adolescent. It's not within my jurisdiction to release the deceased to you without formal permissions."

Veronica was ready to argue to the death before Archie held his finger up. "Can I make a brief phone call?" The director nodded before Archie stepped aside to use his phone.

In seconds, the director was being handed a cell phone, no doubt with an angry Mary Andrews on the other half of the line. A few silent moments passed before the man was nodding. "I see. No, that won't be necessary, Mrs. Andrews. Of course, I'll just need you to sign an authorization form--No, I'll do it right now. Thank you." The phone was handed back to Archie as the man gave us a tight lipped smile. "I'll just go get your father's personal effects then."

"There was a set of truck keys," Jughead interrupted with a curious tone.

The funeral home director nodded. "They're in there. I'm going to need two to three hours to get him ready for transport. You can wait here, or you can come back at noon."

"Can I see him?"

Archie's question struck me with a heavy weight as I recalled the moments when I spoke those words about my mom and brother both. Nothing prepares you for the moment you see them, unresponsive and just there. It's heartbreaking, and it doesn't leave your mind unless you push it so deep that it's almost unreal.

"Archie, you don't have to," Veronica whispered.

"What if they made a mistake, you guys?" Archie theorized, "I'd like to see my father."

The director nodded. "Of course. He's just in the next room, if you'd like to follow me." The five of us stepped around the corner before freezing in our spots at the open door. I shook my head slightly and backed up, knowing I wasn't able to process something like this right now. Archie evidently had the same feeling, as he held himself in spot and told Veronica and Betty to go inside. With the nerves settling, Jughead, Archie, and I remained in the side room while the others went ahead.

"Jug, one thing you can help me with.." Archie trailed off as we sat down at a side table.

Jughead placed his hand on Archie's shoulder supportively. "Anything," He replied.

"My dad's obituary, could you write it?" Archie asked, "For the Register?" My boyfriend didn't hesitate to agree, no matter how hard the task would be for himself, he would make sure it was done perfectly.

Veronica and Betty entered the room at that moment, my sister with her hands full of a bag as Betty trailed behind. Archie asked if it was his father, to which Veronica nodded. "Yes, it is. I have his belongings."

Archie nodded, his throat tight with the response. "Are you sure?" He asked, wishing, praying, that they would say no.

"Yeah, Arch," Betty replied this time, her lip quivering with every word. "It's your dad."

Leaving the funeral director to do his work, our group moved next to the accident site, where Fred's truck still remained. The five of us piled out, Archie taking a few steps forward before simply staring at the vehicle in front of him with sad eyes.

The keys jingled in his hand as he moved to open the door and climb inside to sit in the driver's seat. We watched quietly as he shifted around a little bit, grabbing and moving things of his father's.

Another car pulled up behind him before a woman climbed out with a bundle of flowers in her hands. Archie was out of the truck before we could react and already questioning the visitor.

"Can we help you?"

She shook her head, clearly caught off guard by his aggressive tone. "N-No, I'm paying my respects."

"How do you know what happened here?" Archie asked as we finally caught up to him.

"Wait.. are-are you Archie?" She asked, to which the redhead followed up with a question of how she knew his name. "Your father told me," She answered, "One of my tires blew, and uh, I was stranded out here." She kneeled down to place the flowers gently in the grass.

"You're the one he was helping," Archie concluded.

The woman nodded tearfully. "I think cars, just you know, they kept... they kept whizzing by, nobody would stop, but your dad did... He talked about you the entire time. Just, his son, how he couldn't believe that a man like him was blessed with such a thoughtful, kind boy."

"You were with him when he..."

"We were working on the tire... and a car just, it came out of nowhere, speeding and... Sorry," She apologized as she wiped tears from her cheeks, "I just, I froze in its path and your dad, he just... he pushed me out of the way. He saved my life. If he hadn't done what he did, there's no way that I would be here right now. I know that."

I pushed my cheek further into Jughead's shoulder, tears of my own no doubt soaking his t-shirt sleeve as I held onto him tightly. There was so much I wish I could do, that any of us could do, to make this easier on Archie and his mom, but I knew nothing would ease the pain they were both feeling right now.

"I'm so sorry," The woman apologized, "There is nothing I could do to ever repay him, but... but I would like to say a prayer for him. Maybe you'd like to join me."

Jughead moved first, tugging myself with him as he gave Archie a reassuring pat on the back. Veronica fell in place between us, tangling her hand with Archie's and Betty's as Jughead and I finished off the line with Mocha in grasp.

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day, our daily bread, and forgive us for our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom and the power, the glory, for ever and ever. Amen."

--

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104K 1.7K 62
When Betty Cooper applies for a job to help provide for her family, she meets people who change her life for the better. Past secrets are working the...
159K 4K 62
They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. What happens when life gives you an organ-stealing cult, a horror game come to life, and drug-de...
104K 2.9K 32
Betty is left broken-hearted after her boyfriend humiliated her in front of the entire audience during the last football game of the year, as Betty r...
47.5K 1.1K 10
a story in which a good girl becomes bad due to a new influence. Betty and Archie were best friends, prepared to take on yet another year at Riverdal...