Hell Hath No Fury - Book One

By nicwritesbooks

(gxg) Aboard the Scorned Woman, there is a crew pirates that hail from all five Baethean continents. They rai... More

An Introduction to Baethos
The Beginning
A Room on Board
Line of Questioning
Pants
Treasure
The Feast
Raiders
Seasick
Mischief
Breaking Bread
Witness
Belonging
Convincing
Secret Lead
Decisions
Pirate Business
Preparations
Revelations
Explanations
The Aftermath
Visitors
An Election
Niveal Begins
The Bender v.1
The Bender v.2
The Bender v.3
The Bender v.4
Jewels
Weapons
Piercing
Searching
Three's a crowd
Breach of Contract
Don't Trust Pigs
A Night in the Infirmary
Officer's Meeeting
Suggestion
Unemployed
Vetting
Cheap Shots
Stubborn Squared
Xyra Approves
A Secret Exposed
Confrontation
Stormy Night
Training Begins
Longing
Culmination
Interviews
What Rhymes with Bliss?
Pika's Rock
No Interference
Watch It Burn
Bearer of Bad News
At Long Last
And She's In
Just for Clarity
A Group Consensus
Finally
Arrival in Gossem
The Tuskeri Manor
Riva, Are You There?
Hidden in Storage
Red and Black, Chest to Back
Dangers Lurk Below
Waking Up
A Shocking Display
Grog's Pub
Fire Consumes the Past
Initiation
Communication Works
A Meeting Looms
The First Meeting
This Can't Fail
Challenge Accepted
A Nefarious Plan
A Break From It All
Night After Night of You
Last Nights Together
Aired Grievances
Temple Times
I Bet
Freezing
A Bit Tied Up at the Moment
Journey Through Aeliz
Broken Chest
Elox at Last
Scheming
Routines Are Good
An Offer You Can't Refuse
Prison Break
Homecoming
Panic and Parties
Reunited
Too Many Talks
Fortune's Favor
Request for an Invite
The Constituency Ball
Merry Ment
More Revelations
One, Two, Three, Four Trials Too Many
Confrontations
Drowning
Finale
Epilogue
Art and Character Profiles

Journey

2.2K 144 31
By nicwritesbooks

Theo climbed the stairs and stood on the top deck, looking down at her crew. They were all gathered and waiting for her to start. Theo scanned the crowd and to make sure everyone had arrived. Xyra and Morgana were just emerging from the lower decks, escorting three women with them. Theo had sent them to make sure everyone was in attendance given the fact that the crew regularly tried to sleep through these assemblies.

Xyra made her way up the stairs and stood next to Theo, "All set. Everyone's here. Including your redheaded friend."

Xyra looked over to where Ava was and Theo's eyes found her. Theo almost wanted to laugh, of course, Ava the Inquisitive would attend. She probably followed the crowd.

"Good morning, pirates!" Theo began. "As you know, this morning we begin a long voyage to Takand. If the wind favors us and all goes well we should be there before the next cycle. I have a few announcements for us before we begin our journey."

Theo looked around, it was early and the pirates were tired. It was apparent not a lot of them were paying attention. After all, usually, these assemblies that Xyra calls are not very important and the women just want to get to sailing. Theo cleared her throat and spoke even louder.

"Cooker came to me with an idea for how to better divide up the labor. We will be switching to a system of a full working sun and a full sun off. You and your switch partner will decide which person works tomorrow and which will work right now. We will do this for seven sets of the sun and then come together for a vote."

The women's interests were stirred. Whispers were exchanged between them about the new system and Theo waited for a few moments, letting them get the chatter out of their system, before moving on.

"Second, Evana has decided to change her upcoming project. Due to many requests, she will now be making a training room. I will let her fill you in on the details as she is the expert on this," Theo motioned over to Evana who was walking up the stairs.

Once Evana arrived and the cheers the women had commenced had died down, she began to speak. Theo stepped back and stood next to Xyra who looked over.

"How did you sleep last night?" Xyra asked.

"Fine. Thanks for letting me sleep there," Theo whispered back, looking ahead at the crowd.

"Theo... You were having nightmares all night and were gone before I woke up," Xyra said, stare fixed on Theo.

"Now is not the time," Theo said as sternly as she could while whispering.

Xyra knew to drop the subject but she was worried. She knew that the news of Vaith was affecting Theo. It was even affecting her, she had been next to Theo for over 12 lengths and Theo's enemies were her enemies. Having to let him go like that was eating away at her, she couldn't begin to imagine the turmoil Theo was facing. Xyra also knew Theo well enough to know that the lead on Vaith coupled with the upcoming land raid would lead to unhealthy behavior. Staying up, lack of eating, fixating on the plans for the raid and ignoring her own needs and feelings. Xyra would do what she could to stop it but Theo was stubborn and reluctant to face her own emotions at times. This would be a conversation that Xyra had to push her into later. She reached down and took Theo's hand and squeezed it before letting go.

Evana finished speaking shortly after their exchange and Theo stepped forward, "Thank you Evana for the wonderful news. I need you all to pay attention to this next part because it is important. We have a lead on a small hidden island said to house the next camp for Baethian soldiers. They have stocked at least a length's worth of different items that we need.

Right now it is empty. Nobody but a group of soldiers left to guard the supplies. But, like most good things, that is not the case for very long. Training starts very soon and we need to waste no time in getting there. We had originally planned for two nights in Takand but we will not be able to stay for more than a few hours."

The women's mood shifted from excited to annoyed. An almost comical group groan was heard from the deck below and Theo lifted her hands as if to say she was sorry. Xyra stepped forward, willing to jump in with a lecture but Theo stopped her.

"I know this is a sacrifice on your parts but remember, we are running low on supplies and this is the only way to get them. More and more ports are closing to our trade and we need a backup stock more than ever now. Plus, to make up for it, I will allow you to put to a vote the next place we visit. After the raid, we'll go wherever you all choose. It will be put to a vote in seven suns time as well. I will be updating you all on plans as they are made. For now, take your positions and get ready to set sail."

Theo backed away from the railing and walked down the stairs and into her captain's quarters. Xyra was quick on her heels and made it in before Theo could shut the door in her face. Theo walked around to her desk and pulled out a few papers from her drawer and held it out for Xyra to take. Xyra walked over and took the papers, "What are these?"

"This is what Norhan gave us on the lead. I need you to study this and get back to me on what we are up against. I'm going to work now, you can take tomorrow," Theo said as she walked past Xyra, ready to go set sail.

Xyra caught Theo by the arm, "Do not take whatever you are feeling out on me Theo. That isn't fair. Talk to me instead."

Theo's face softened out of the scowl she had been sporting all morning but she still silently walked past Xyra and went outside. Theo knew Xyra was right and she felt bad for acting the way she had. The apology would come later but Theo was not in the mood for it right now. This secret she and Xyra were holding about the lead they had was a burden. Theo couldn't tell the crew or she'd face a mutiny. They'd commandeer the boat and head straight into the suicide mission. Lord Vaith had become their enemy too, whether because he was a symbol of all that was unjust with the world or because of their own experience with him.

Keeping secrets from her crew was hard. She would tell them eventually, but not until it was far too late to do anything about it. Each one of her pirates was braver than the last and they all believed themselves to be invincible but Lord Vaith was one of the most powerful men in all of Baethos and there was no way they would come out of that fight alive. It wasn't only the secret souring her mood it was the fact that she couldn't go after him. She was stuck and he had won again. She did not have enough to go after him, just as she never had before. She knew it was illogical but she felt she had failed.

The rest of the morning passed in a blur. Theo was just standing at the helm, not doing much of anything. The wind was cooperating and her crew was trained and had the ship under control. She had been staring out at the ocean for far too long when she decided she would check in on everyone. She retreated into the ship and checked in with Evana first. Multiple women were working in her shop and Theo was all but pushed out.

"Hello, Evana. How is it going?"

"Good. What is it you need?"

"Nothing, just checking in."

"There are 5 women in a shop smaller than my room. Please, Captain."

Theo got the hint and had walked away. She went down to storage and checked in with Miss Yurwa. She stayed for a while but she made up a lie to get out of it before Miss Yurwa could finish her long speech. There was only so much she could hear about how low they were getting on reserves and after this voyage, they were lower than they ever had before. When panic began to rise in Theo's chest, she knew it was time to leave. Walking out of the room and into the thin hallways, she took a deep breath.

This plan would work. She had faith in her crew and the information she had. She knew they'd be okay and sometimes Miss Yurwa knew just how to make a situation seem unsolvable. She reminded herself of these things as she walked away and back onto the deck. She decided it was time to check in on Tuni and Morgana, they would bring good news. Theo had hoped that the time away and a good time at home would make Morgana forget about any ill-feeling she had before she left. She walked into the infirmary and saw Tuni, Morgana, and Ava sitting around.

"So it's everyone's sun off?" Theo teased and walked in taking a seat in one of the beds in there.

"It is good to see you too, Theo," Tuni smiled, "We were just about to tell Ava how our trip went."

Theo motioned for them to go ahead and Morgana looked at Ava as she began, "So first, we show up to their house and no one is home. I almost keeled over right there, thinking he went off into the mountains again. They ended up coming back soon after, they were picking fruit."

Ava laughed at the story and leaned in, genuinely interested in what Morgana had to say. With grand hand motions and a dramatic storytelling ability, Morgana was perfectly suited to recount their short adventure in Morgana's home village. She had both Theo and Ava very entertained. She told the story of her reunion with her family, her father meeting Tuni, and all the new happenings in her town. Morgana seemed like she was glowing. She beamed when she told stories of her sister and how good she had been doing in school.

"That one is a smart one," she said, "Smarter than everyone in my family put together."

Theo wanted to stay for longer, had an urge to keep the conversation going and distract herself from everything waiting outside. No luck, she had been in there long enough and it was time to go back and check on those that were sailing. She called up to the mast and checked up on her pirates on the crow's nest and made her rounds around the deck. Once she was satisfied, she walked back into her quarters and found Xyra sitting on the floor with papers laid out in front of her.

"Any progress?" Theo asked and stepped over the papers.

She sat behind her desk and propped her feet up.

"Aye, I've managed to get somewhat of an accurate assessment of the land. I'm still deciding on the best points of entry. As of what this intercepted report says, there should be no more than 30 men on the island assuming that none have died of disease already," Xyra reported without looking up.

Xyra continued to shuffle through the papers and organize them in a way that made sense only to Xyra. The guilt Theo had pushed away earlier over being rude to Xyra rose again. Xyra was tough and sometimes her showing that she cared was hard. Theo had shut her best friend out.

"Xyra... I'm sorry for freezing you out," Theo admitted.

Xyra looked up from her papers and simply gave a nod, unsure of what to say.

"I am not ready to talk about it but when I am I will come to you," Theo said.

"Thank you," Xyra replied with a reassuring smile and turned back to the papers.

-----------------

Supper was mediocre. They had gone onto rations for the remainder of the journey to make sure there was enough for all of them. Theo had eaten with the crew but left early to go find Ava who was missing from supper. Based on the pattern Theo had watched her establish, she was most likely in the library. Theo walked into the library, Ava was sitting with a book in her lap and a plate on the table in front of her.

"Ava, hello," Theo smiled as Ava whipped her head over to face Theo, "I was just about to invite you up to my quarters if you need company tonight. I'll leave my door unlocked if the book gets boring."

A grin spread across Ava's face, "Got it."

Theo backed away slowly, watching Ava go back to reading her book. She turned away and went to her room. She threw herself onto her bed and let her whole body relax. It had been a long sun and she was stuck on her feet for most of it. She had been through way worse. Suns of nonstop work on the deck of a ship. She had known exhaustion and this was far from it. Mentally, it was a different story. All sun she had been battling with the guilt and the anger in her head.

She got up from the bed and made her way to her dresser. Opening the drawer she picked out the most comfortable outfit she owned and changed into it. The door opened after she had managed to slip on all her items of clothing and she turned round to see Ava.

"You came," Theo stated and Ava laughed, closing the door.

"Yes, I did. You've changed."

"Aye."

Theo walked over to her balcony and opened the door out. She stepped out and Ava followed. They both took a seat and Theo leaned her head back against the wood and took a deep breath, staring out into the ocean.

"I've been out on the water for all of my life and it never gets less mesmerizing to just look out," Theo said.

Ava followed Theo's lead and stared out into the water. The sky was clear enough to see gorgeous stars littering the sky. Like the night before, Ava was speechless at the sight of them. Theo took her gaze off the horizon and looked over at Ava. She doesn't know how long she was looking but Ava caught her. She laughed a little and Theo laughed back, unsure what of.

"What about the library has you so interested in it?" Theo asked.

"I was taught the history of each classification period. I had tests on it. Tutors on end teaching me about the politics behind it. The supposed history. But these books... they're different. All of what I learned has been twisted. Or... or everything that is in these books is twisted and what I learned is right. Either way, the library has books and I'm going to read until I have answers."

Theo laughed, "Or you could ask someone."

Ava shook her head, "Captain, I don't think I can. I'm afraid they'll shove me off the boat for being pro-government if I ask the wrong thing."

Ava was being a tad dramatic and she knew it but it was entertaining Theo.

"Ask me, then" Theo suggested.

"You're being serious?"

"Aye, you're not the first confused high born we've had around here."

"Is it true? What I've been reading?" Ava asked.

Theo nodded her head, "Aye, I'm afraid so. The history of Baethos, especially early Baethos is not one of peace and equality."

"That is not what we were taught," Ava confessed.

"I know. We've read the books you've read too. Understand the enemy, you know?" Theo mused.

That is where Ava was confused. Why were the rich hated? Her family had many philanthropic projects always running to help no namers. She did not understand.

"Why are we-they the enemy?" Ava wanted to be conscious as to how she presented herself here. Not only for safety but also because she was unsure of where her loyalties even lied at that point.

"People in the greater houses and those in the noble houses own a lot and don't give back as much as they collect. That maybe would be fine if their nobility and wealth weren't on the backs of the poor. Unfair taxes, inequality, the overstepping of the military... There is a lot," Theo explained, "I'm no good at explaining these things very well though. Cooker is amazing at it and if you like to read you can ask her for a recommendation on the topic."

"How did Cooker come to be on the crew?" Ava asked. She wanted to know more about her, but Cooker never offered up much about herself.

"Cooker was the crew before there was one. It was just me and Xyra for a while before Cooker came along but once she did it we were inseparable. She's been with us since almost the beginning," Theo said, "Cooker is the smartest person I know."

Ava smiled. The way Theo talked about the people on this ship melted her heart. It was kinder and more heartfelt than anything her family had ever expressed in her entire life. This ship truly seemed like a family. Theo began to tell a story about one of the early suns on the ship they were trying to uncover a plot for something Ava did not quite understand. Apparently, Cooker had engineered a plan that fooled Baethean authorities by assuming the cover of an undercover agent and feeding them false information all while getting information from them to get leads. This worked for a while and helped them establish themselves as a pirate crew worthy of song.

Theo, whose demeanor had been tense all night, finally loosened up. Telling stories was her favorite, a born entertainer Theo could entrance any audience. The more Theo told Ava, the more she wanted to get to know Cooker. She seemed like a fascinating individual. It had gotten a little too windy outside so both of them had made their way inside.

"So, moral of the story, Cooker has got you covered for any of your intellectual needs," Theo finished with a chuckle.

"Thank you for all of the guidance," Ava said, "Before I go, I wanted to ask if there was anything I could do? I know we are going to be at sea for many suns and I wanted to pull my weight."

"Aye, I have a job for you. Keep me sane?" Theo asked.

"Excuse me?" Ava tilted her head.

"Come up at night and have these talks with me. Really makes the time fly and it's fun to pick your brain," Theo elaborated and Ava found herself smiling at the words.

"I will take my job very seriously," Ava joked, she was only half kidding though.

"It's settled then. Here, I'll walk you to your room." Theo held her arm out and Ava took it.

She was intending to go back into the library but the walk to her room was longer and she wanted as much time as she could with Theo. Ava couldn't explain why she was so drawn to her. If only her friends back home would see her now, arms locked with a nox pirate. What would they say? Even more, what would they say if they knew Ava was enjoying her time with Theo.

They said their goodbyes after Ava unlocked her door. Theo turned around and walked away but Ava never opened her door. She just watched as Theo walked down the hallway so she could make her escape back into the library without giving herself away. Except, Theo did not turn to go back to her room. Instead, she stopped right at the end of the hallway and knocked on someone's door.

Xyra opened up and let Theo in. Once Theo was gone, Ava began to walk down the hallway towards the library. That morning, Ava had seen Xyra and Theo hold hands during assembly. The night before, after she and Theo had been on the deck together Theo had gone into the ship and not come out. Is that where she went? Were Xyra and Theo together?

Ava was curious now and she wanted to know but knew she would probably be crossing some boundaries if she asked around about it. It was probably something they kept under the radar if it was anything at all. Her curiosity made it so that she now had about 300 things on her 'ask around or investigate this topic' list. Admittedly, it was a problem. She walked by the room and slowed her pace, trying to catch any stray noise or phrase.

Ava sped up soon after, guilt overtaking her for even considering to eavesdrop on someone that had been so hospitable. She made a beeline for the library and closed the door once she got there. She had originally been planning to read the history of the classifications. She was on the second of 17 volumes but there were a lot of things that went over her head. Certain phrases or schools of study she knew nothing about often came across the literature. She was going to take Theo's advice and speak with Cooker about recommendations. Never one to leave something unfinished, Ava picked up the second volume of the classification series and set out to finish it, eventually falling asleep in the chair.

The next morning Ava woke up to shuffling in the library. She opened her eyes to see Cooker quietly making her way around the room, looking for a book. Ava lifted her head off the chair and a sharp pain shot down her neck. She groaned and brought a hand to rub her neck. Cooker looked over an awake Ava and laughed.

"Can't say I haven't done that exact thing before. Several times," Cooker commented and pulled a book out.

She took the book she had chosen and found a chair in the library to sit in. Ava watched as Cooker dove into the book she had chosen without another word. Ava shifted in her seat trying to find relief for her neck and back. She looked down in her lap to find the book she was reading still open on the page she fell asleep on. She shrugged to herself and followed Cooker's lead and began reading again. Cooker laughed from her spot in the library and when Ava looked over she was being watched.

"Yes?"

"Just picking up the book right where you left off. No breakfast or break or walk around the ship," Cooker pointed out.

Ava just shrugged and went back to reading the book. She wanted to ask for advice on books but she figured she would let Cooker get settled in before bombarding her with questions. She turned her attention back to her book and Cooker did the same with hers. As Ava flipped through the pages, she found herself thinking and not reading. Her eyes were scanning the words but her mind was not absorbing them. She rubbed her eyes and put the book down, maybe she did need a break before jumping back in.

"Cooker?" Ava asked.

"Hm?" Cooker responded, not looking up from the book.

"Theo said that you could give me some recommendations on what to read," Ava said and immediately Cooker looked up.

"I am in love with that woman," Cooker joked and stood up, "What were you looking for?"

"I'm not sure how to say this... But I guess inequality? Or something about the history of upper houses," Ava stumbled.

"Ah, I see. Rich girl wants to understand the reason her status is more dangerous than helpful out here," Cooker teased and began to roam the shelves.

Cooker was right but there was more to it. Ava didn't just want to understand why being from an upper house made it so she was disliked. She wanted to understand the nature of the relationship between upper and lower houses. Understand why there was inequality and why it hadn't been addressed yet. Ava explained this to Cooker while the librarian was searching through the books.

Cooker worked in silence for a bit. After Ava's remarks, she had put one of the books she had grabbed back and restarted her work. Ava was not expecting anything this serious. She had assumed Cooker would give her a title and Ava would look for it and that would be the end of the conversation. The opposite was true. Fifteen minutes later and Cooker still had not finalized her picks. Instead, she was climbing onto a chair to reach a higher spot. She pulled the book down and hopped off the chair. Grabbing the three books she had curated, she set it on the table that was in front of Ava.

"Here," Cooker pointed to the first book, "That first one is a history of the development of the upper houses over the classifications and how they came to develop the power they have. The second one, an analysis of how the house system has negatively impacted our societies. That last one is a history of the rebellions in Baethos since the first classification, the reasons for it, and how it ended."

Ava reached forward and grabbed the books, smiling as she did. Her fingers traced over the titles of them and she had to remind herself she needed a break before she started these.

"Thank you," Ava said and she stood up with the books, "I am going to start on these as soon as I can."

"You're welcome. If you need to talk through the book you can come to me," Cooker offered.

"Thank you but I'm sure I'll understand it," Ava said, a little bothered that someone would think she needed help going through the books.

Cooker laughed a bit, a soft smile on her face, "I just meant you can come to me to talk through the emotions that the book might bring up, not the content."

Ava wasn't sure what Cooker meant by that but she said her thanks and walked out of the library. Now that the books were in her hands they felt like fire. She held here the beginning of the answers to her questions. The information in the books could lead her to think the way that the other pirates thought, was she ready for that? She had already run away but this felt like she was turning her back on where she came from.

She wanted to clear her head from books and the library for a bit. She dropped her books off in her room then set out to find anyone that would want to train with her.

----------------

Theo had an uneventful sun. When she had woken up that morning in Xyra's room, the last she wanted to do was spend her time doing nothing. Xyra had been still peacefully sleeping next to her so she decided to give Xyra a second sun off. It was not like Xyra took the time off, she had ended up locking herself up in Theo's room going over the lead. Theo kept herself busy for most of the sun, helping those that were short-staffed and catching up with crew members she hadn't sat down with for a while.

Dinner was still going on when she made her way back to her room. Dinner was usually her favorite time of the sun. She got to sit around with her friends and be able to be in the same room enjoying the same meal with her crew. But when Theo's mood was not at its usual peppiness it was noticeable and she did not want to drag the room down. When she arrived at her door, Ava was standing there with a few sheets of paper in hand.

Theo smiled at Ava and unlocked her door, "You're here."

"I am."

"What is that?" Theo asked as she opened the door.

Ava held the papers up, "List of things we can talk about. I am taking my job to keep you sane very seriously."

Theo laughed and made herself comfortable. She took off her boots and sat in her bed. Ava stood awkwardly in the middle of the room looking around for the best place to sit.

"Don't be shy. You and this bed are familiar, if I recall," Theo patted the bed and Ava rolled her eyes.

Ava walked toward the bed and found a suitable place for herself. Theo's bed was massive. She wondered how they even managed to get it inside. Ava was a good distance away from Theo even though they were on the same piece of furniture.

"Alright, what's on the list? I'm intrigued," Theo asked.

Ava held out the papers, "You can look through it. I've organized them in different sections. Questions about you. Questions about the ship. Questions that I have questions about.

Theo laughed at the last comment, waving her hand to indicate she had no intention of taking the papers, "Sounds interesting. How about you pick something from that last section."

Ava nodded and flipped through the pages. She had spent a few hours at the library earlier in the aftermorning writing all of these things down. She had convinced herself that she was doing this so she could get some questions answered and have a way to organize her thoughts. She had argued that even though Theo's tone was joking, she had been serious about needing a distraction and Ava was going to provide that for her. The reality had been that she was putting off starting the book recommendations that Cooker gave her, unable to bring herself to open that box of mystery.

"Okay," Ava said, finally finding a topic she wanted to talk about, "How about Dove Island?"

"What about it?"

"Everything. I went into The Twins blind and I want to be equipped," Ava clarified.

"That is broad but, uh, I guess we can start on the things that will probably be the most relevant. You need to be 15 to find a place that will let you stay in exchange for money. Usually, places you'd want to look at are the houses that rent out rooms to other women, those are the cheapest and the safest. Uh, jobs are easy to come by in the beauty sector, janitorial duties, secretarial work for large companies. They don't pay much but it's better than most places," Theo explained.

She then talked about the social climate there. It was a place filled with many young women that came from all over. Young men flocked there too. Dove Island was emerging as one of the newest centers for innovation and science. The Efritian golden age was coming to an end and Dove Island was rapidly becoming a hot spot for social climbing.

Theo explained to Ava the demographics of the Island, the south was mostly lower houses and no-namers. Young people living in giant houses and splitting costs equally. Groups of them trying to establish the next thing that would bring in the most money. The north reflected more of the historical Dove Island. Theo warned that the North was not the best place to be and if she could avoid it, to not go near there. It was a stark opposite of the progressive south. The nobles there instituted harsh rules on marriage, a woman's role, religious freedoms, and language.

"Would you live there?" Ava asked when Theo was finished.

"I would never give up my life at sea. I will die out here," Theo said quickly. It wasn't a helpful answer but it was true.

"Say all the water dried up and you had to, I mean had to, find a place on land to live. Where would it be?" Ava asked.

"I would live where I was born. But if that wasn't available then yeah, Southern Dove Island is where I would settle down," Theo gave in.

"Where were you born?"

"Not the topic we are talking about. Dove Island, you thinking about it?" Theo avoided the question.

Ava was very entertaining to talk to, insightful at times, funny, very talkative. But Theo was not going to answer personal questions. She had admittedly gotten a little too close to Ava in a short period and there had to be somewhere that the line was drawn. What started as a question as to where she was from had the opportunity to turn into something much deeper and Ava was dangerous. For some reason she made Theo relax and want to open up.

Ava shrugged her shoulders at Theo's question, "I guess I am. I mean, if this is the best place to be then I guess I am thinking about it."

"If you decide that Dove Island isn't for you then you can continue to sail with us until we reach somewhere else," Theo said. She had offered the ship up to Ava for as long as she wanted many times before but she wanted to make sure that Ava knew.

"What about if I wanted to become a pirate?" Ava asked. Her question was asked slowly in a way where Ava could gauge Theo's reaction.

Theo's reaction was biting her lip and staying silent. Ava couldn't read what was going on in Theo's head but it didn't look promising.

"Being a pirate isn't easy... There are a lot of sacrifices to be made and sometimes the money isn't good. If you're arrested on piracy charges, it's life in prison with a nice judge. There is more of a chance of being on the end of a noose or a sword than there is to live past 30. Ava, it's serious," Theo reasoned, trying to steer Ava away from that road.

"Would I be able to become one though?" Ava pressed on.

Theo rubbed her face and shook her head, "Ava, it's not for you."

"Because I come from a rich family?"

"Ava-"

"Are you saying it's not for me because of where I come from?"

"I am saying it's not right for you because I have seen more high borns be killed trying to chase their dreams of being a pirate than actually succeed," Theo admitted.

It was a heavy conversation to have and she could tell that Ava was not thrilled with her answer. Theo was telling Ava the truth, though. Upper house people did not usually make it on the run. They either died or went back to their families. There were exceptions, of course, but the older the high born the less likely they were to adapt. It was a difficult life as a pirate, lack of showers, rationing, risking one's life every other sun, having to rely on the sea which bends to no one's will.

It also hurt Theo to say because, in the cycle that Ava had been on the ship, Theo had gotten attached to her as a friend. It was probably unwise but at least it wasn't clouding her judgment and she could be clear with Ava.

Ava got up off the bed, "I think I'm going to go to my room now."

"Ava, I'm sorry," Theo said, getting up too.

"There is nothing to apologize for, Captain. I asked a question and I got an answer. It's just late so I'm going to head back," Ava said.

It wasn't her right to be angry at Theo or get an apology from her but she couldn't stop the pettiness from coming through in her tone. It was just a question and something Ava had not even really considered. She was fine, she just needed a little time to get over it. She walked back to her room and picked up the first book that Cooker recommended to her.

Procrastination was over. She was going to read the books. Most high borns didn't survive because they didn't learn how to, Ava thought. Theo thought her unable to survive as a pirate simply because of her status and she was going to prove Theo wrong. Whether she settled down or became a pirate, Ava wanted to be able to survive and the best way she thought of doing that was understanding the world she was going to be living in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

224 38 39
A sweeping tale of magic, fantasy and romance, with a healthy side of adventure, revenge and redemption. Set in the lush garden kingdom of Wisteria...
35.3K 3.2K 36
40 years ago, Princess Inez was struck by a magical curse by the man she had been promised in marriage to. With her throne in the hands of the man th...
4.3K 200 12
A normal, everyday woman is down on her luck. She's single, lives on her own, and is about to lose her apartment. Her bar waitress job isn't enough t...
418K 16.3K 66
• Rhea just finished her first year of college, but with a strained relationship with her parents... she has no home to come back to during summer br...