Cells at Work: Ebola

By ViktorDale

The human body is suddenly infected by a virus that turns immune cells against each other. Join Natural Kille... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Acquaintances
Chapter 2: The Ancient Ones
Galleries
Chapter 3: Heroes and Villains
Chapter 4: A Teamless Little Leader
Chapter 6: Betrayer
Chapter 7: Kouhai
Chapter 8: Duty
Chapter 9: Duty, Destiny, Lies
Chapter 10: Heresy Grows From Idleness
Chapter 11: Grey Deliverance
Chapter 12: The Burden of Command
Chapter 13: The Greatest Disappointment
Chapter 14: You Failed, But It's Not Your Fault
Chapter 15: Interlocking Fates
Chapter 16: A Little Leader's Nightmare
Chapter 17: Notice Me Senpai
Chapter 18: The Greatest Erythrocyte
Intermission (Why NT4201 suddenly became a martial arts expert?)
Chapter 19: Fated
Chapter 20: Intimacy
Chapter 21: The Council
Chapter 22: Consciousness
Chapter 23: I Am Loved

Chapter 5: The First Plot Point

301 14 0
By ViktorDale

U1146 strode toward the back row of the battalion-sized Killer T Cell formation. The KT battalion, about five hundred cells strong, had established a checkpoint outside of the entrance of the liver, erecting barricades to slow down any potential threats. To emphasize the seriousness of the situation, all KT cells now wore special black riot armor and helmets instead of their usual military uniform and caps. They've also brought heavy riot shields, and short swords called a gladius instead of their usual arsenal of daggers and brass knuckles.

Opposing the KT cells stood fifty or so macrophages clad in heavy grey cloaks as well as hiding their faces with hoods. U1146 have never seen macrophages concealing themselves like these, though occasionally, they do wear monocyte armor when they patrol inside the blood vessels. Still, he found it unusual for them to wear such getups when the whole world was burning with high fever.

"Hey bud," U1146 finally approached a KT cell standing on the last row corner of the formation. "What's going on here?"

The KT cell, who wore a full-plated helmet, turned his head to look at him. He didn't immediately respond, but instead studied him for a couple of seconds.

U1146 raised his hands to his side, showing his opened palms, indicating he was not holding any weapons.

"Potential trouble," the helmeted KT cell finally revealed.

"Trouble?" U1146 raised an eyebrow. "They are macrophages. Why would there be any trouble?"

"They won't be if they didn't insist on getting inside the liver,"

"Why would they want to get inside?" U1146 asked.

The helmeted KT cell shrugged. "Beats me. All major organs are in strict lockdown. All cells going in and out must subject themselves for inspection."

He then pointed his gladius at him. "In fact, you'd also be considered as trouble if you suddenly tell me that you have some business inside the liver."

"Maybe, but I'm not sure," U1146 admitted, though he kept his arms raised at his side. "I got a tip that something bad was about to happen here, and my receptors are picking odd signals in this section, but I've yet to see any enemy."

The helmeted KT cell sheathed his sword back on his scabbard before placing a hand on his chin. "Hmm... Sorry bud, I can't help you with that. You should go and explain that to the battalion commander."

"I guess I would then," U1146 shifted his gaze toward the front of the formation. From his vantage point, he could only see the head of the KT commander amidst the sea of KT cells standing at attention. The KT commander seemed to be busy talking to the leader of the cloaked macrophages.

U1146 tiptoed to get a better view of the front. Then he saw her, and his eyes went wide.

"Wait, is that Lady Em?" he asked.

In contrast to her subordinates, the leader of the macrophage didn't wear a hood or a cloak but instead donned a large bonnet hat that seemed more appropriate for an evening stroll rather than a headgear for battle.

"Aye," the helmeted KT cell concurred. "And she's with her whole entourage."

U1146's face twisted into confusion as he slowly shook his head.

That, that can't be right... He thought. Lady Em was supposed to be...

The disappearance of Lady Em and her entourage had only been disseminated to a selected few, and it just so happened he was one of those given access to such a piece of information.

Though he never got sent out to search for them, he did receive an order that got rescinded later, to do just that after they went missing for several days. He also heard those that were indeed sent out to find them ended up either missing or dead.

U1146 took in a deep breath. Nothing made sense anymore. First, he got an anonymous tip of trouble brewing in the liver, second, his receptors were going haywire all day long, and now, a missing unit of macrophages had suddenly appeared out of nowhere and was demanding entrance to the liver.

"Something's not right out here," U1146 wondered out loud.

"I couldn't agree more," the helmeted KT cell responded dryly. "Just stay sharp and expect the worst."

U1146 nodded but didn't say anything.

--0--0--0--

The five-hundred versus the fifty.

Lady Em watched with glee at the Killer T cells all lined up into a formation fifty rows in length and ten columns deep. A formidable force, she admits, but one that her entourage of fifty macrophages could definitely handle. While the Killer T cells all donned the proper gears for war, her subordinates instead wore heavy dark cloaks and hoods to conceal their usual maid outfits.

As for her, she wore no coverings to hide her immaculately white maid uniform and bonnet hat.

"Milady, are you even listening to me?"

Lady Em shifted her gaze from looking at the KT battalion to looking at the battalion commander standing directly in front of her.

The burly KT battalion commander loomed over her, but she stood her ground, composed and unintimidated. Their height difference meant nothing to her, and it instead reinforced her image as a cell who could even have a staring match with a veteran Killer T cell without blinking.

"My dear commander," Lady Em started, completely ignoring whatever he was talking about. "I assure you, my presence here in the li-"

"And as I said, milady," the KT commander interrupted before she could finish her sentence. "I have orders from HQ to have the liver in lockdown, and that means I can't let you and your group enter the organ without inspection."

"And rightfully so," Lady Em concurred. The enigmatic smile that had become her trademark trait started to creep on her lips. "After all, we do not want enemies who seek nothing but our complete and total annihilation."

"Right." the KT commander nodded curtly. "So if you understand, then you mu-"

"But I would like for you, dear commander, to make an exception for us," this time, Lady Em's voice turned low but firm. "Our objectives are confidential, and we cannot disclose it to anyone, but I assure you it comes directly from Dendritic-dono."

"And I'm telling you we are attempting to contact that bloke, but he is currently unreachable." the burly commander responded.

"That is a shame, but not a reason to hinder us." Lady Em immediately countered. "That does not change our mission. Give us passage, commander, our presence is most definitely needed inside the liver."

The KT commander didn't respond. He continued his stare-down with her, not even budging an inch to her request.

Finally, a couple of seconds later, he narrowed his eyes as he took a step closer toward the macrophage leader to the point where his forehead almost touched the tip of her bonnet hat.

"You were missing not too long ago," he muttered in a low voice, almost like a growl. It was not a question. "And suddenly, you and your handmaidens appear out of nowhere to demand entrance as if nothing has happened at all."

"If you would prefer to have that narrative slant, then yes, I'm afraid you are correct." Lady Em conceded.

"Then you must understand why I'm apprehensive milady," he explained with just a tiny hint of irritation in his voice. "We have not gotten any heads-up about your mission, and with Dendritic unreachable, we cannot let you all in without subjecting you all to a thorough inspection. "

This time, it was Lady Em's turn to pause. She averted his eyes by staring down on the ground as if in deep thought.

For about a minute, the two leaders remained silent. Lady Em placed a hand on her mouth while she started nodding to herself while the KT commander waited unmoving, like a stone statue, for her to respond.

Finally, Lady Em raised her head to stare directly into his eyes. She raised her hand, and an attendant from behind started to move toward her, carrying what looked like a pole completely wrapped in grey linen.

"Commander, you say you are unable to contact Dendritic-dono, correct?" she asked. At the same time, her attendant stood beside her, handing her the wrapped pole.

"That is correct," the KT commander replied curtly. "I need confirmation."

Lady Em's lips widened from ear to ear as an arousing chill ran all over her body.

"Oh, worry not, commander..." she mused, almost sounded aroused. "I can give Dendritic-dono's orders directly to your battalion, though I must regretfully inform you that you will unfortunately not be able to comprehend it."

The KT commander's visage twisted into confusion. "Um, I do not understand Milady?"

This time, the leader of the macrophages could no longer control herself as she finally let out a chuckle that slowly warped into an eerie crackle. "It's quite simple really... How would you be able to comprehend Dendritic-dono's orders when your head is no longer attached to your body?"

The KT commander's eyes widened as alarm bells inside his head screamed at him of impending danger. His right hand instinctively went to his side to pull out his sword from his scabbard while his feet already moved forward to engage with the macrophage leader. His lips parted as his mouth formed into a snarl.

Treachery had finally revealed its face, and he would confront it without hesitation, without compromise, and without merc-

But before he could deliver his attack, Lady Em swung the wrapped pole in her hands and suddenly, heaven and earth swirled, and he could now see his body tumbling forward without his head.

To his horror, he finally realized what happened to him, but unfortunately, it would be the last thing he would ever think before everything went to black.

-----

A/N:

Originally Posted on Apr. 13, 2020

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 597 9
In the human body even daily work can be life-threatening. Faced with dangerous incidents once again, among them Malaria, caused by a red blood cell...
29.9K 567 13
These are One Shots about U-1146 and AE-3803, enjoy :> Started at: September 2019 Ended at: May 28 2020 [Discontinued] why THE HELL ARE YOU HERE 9/15...
595 0 14
A deadly virus has spread Across the world, and it's up to two sister and their friends to survive the virus I do need to put a warning as the story...
1.2K 19 12
γ€π™±πš˜πš˜πš” πš‚πšπšŠπšπšžπšœγ€‘β‡Ύ Completed ⇨ 𝘎𝘦𝘯π˜₯𝘦𝘳 π˜•π˜¦π˜Άπ˜΅π˜³π˜’π˜­! π˜™π˜¦π˜’π˜₯𝘦𝘳 ⇨ 𝘍𝘦𝘒𝘡𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘴 𝘒 𝘣𝘒𝘀𝘬𝘨𝘳𝘰𝘢𝘯π˜₯ 𝘀𝘩𝘒𝘳𝘒𝘀𝘡𝘦𝘳! ❝ 𝑰 π’˜...