Work This Out

By ASE715

BOOK 2 OF 3 SHIELD is compromised, an evil murder bot named Pinocchio, and a Civil War! How will the Avengers... More

Chapter 1 ~ New Years
Chapter 2 ~ Goodbye for now
Chapter 3 ~ On your left
Chapter 4 ~ This isn't freedom, this is fear
Chapter 5 ~ Surprises
Chapter 6 ~ 1:03 a.m.
Chapter 7 ~ Monster
Chapter 8 ~ Ghost Story
Chapter 9 ~ On the run
Chapter 10 ~ Algorism?
Chapter 11 ~ The Winter Soldier
Chapter 12 ~ Bucky?
Chapter 13 ~ I am damaged
Chapter 14 ~ Remember your promise to me
Chapter 15 ~ When do we start?
Chapter 16 ~ Father, daughter time
Chapter 17 ~ Big Fun
Chapter 18 ~ Birthday
Chapter 19 ~ I found it
Chapter 20 ~ Language!
Chapter 21 ~ Not worthy
Chapter 22 ~ Pinocchio
Chapter 23 ~ Speed Racer
Chapter 24 ~ Safe house
Chapter 25 ~ Whiny murder bot
Chapter 26 ~ Unspoken thing
Chapter 27 ~ Saving the world again
Chapter 28 ~ Dead girl walking
Chapter 29 ~ Showtime a-holes
Chapter 30 ~ Avengers A-
Chapter 31 ~ Rage
Chapter 32 ~ Star Spangled Man With A Plan
Chapter 33 ~ Did he just say, 'Hi I'm Scott'?
Chapter 34 ~ Candy Store
Chapter 35 ~ Beautiful
Chapter 36 ~ Seventeen
Chapter 37 ~ Go back to sleep and starve
Chapter 38 ~ Can we not fight anymore?
Chapter 39 ~ Work this out
Chapter 40 ~ I couldn't honestly give two fucks right now
Chapter 41 ~ Can't touch this
Chapter 42 ~ Criminals
Chapter 43 ~ Not the only Winter Soldier
Chapter 44 ~ We know a guy
Chapter 45 ~ Main Attraction
Chapter 46 ~ You did it, Nick Carraway
Chapter 48 ~ I'll be there
Chapter 49 ~ Detention
Chapter 50 ~ Graduation
Third Book is up!

Chapter 47 ~ Did you know?

834 16 11
By ASE715

Your POV

I'm nudged awake and look up to see Bucky staring down at me. I give him a sleepy smile.

"Hey Buck," I say groggily.

He smiles and nudges me to get up. I sit up and wipe the sleep out of my eyes as Bucky goes to grab a gun. I stand in front of the exit ramp, waiting for it to open as Dad and Bucky join me on my right.

"You remember that time we had to ride back from Rockaway Beach in the back of that freezer truck?" Dad asks Bucky.

"Was that the time we used our train money to buy our hot dogs?" Bucky asks with a smile.

"You blew three bucks trying to win that stuffed bear for a redhead."

Bucky laughs at the memory. "What was her name again?"

"Dolores. You called her Dot."

"She's gotta be a hundred years old right now."

"So are we, pal." Dad pats Bucky's shoulder as they look at each other.

I roll my eyes playfully and smile at the two. "Yeah I know, Grandpa," I say to Dad.

"Grandpa?" Bucky questions.

"We really gonna start back up with the nicknames now?" Dad asks as he looks at me.

I ignore his question and ask one of my own. "I just realized something. If you and Bucky were friends since childhood, that means he's like a brother to you so does that make him my uncle then?" I ask Dad.

"No, no, no, no, no," Bucky says quickly.

Dad smirks. "Why not? I like the sound of Uncle Bucky." Dad says.

"Do not start calling me—"

"Uncle Bucky!" I yell as I wrap my arms around him.

Bucky groans and looks at Dad. "Steve get your child off of me."

"No can do, Uncle Bucky," Dad smirks as he puts his helmet on.

I pull away from him and smile at Bucky playfully. He just rolls his eyes but has a small smile on his face. The three of us walk out onto the icy mountain. We walk to the entrance to see it's open.

"He can't have been here more than a few hours," Dad says as we stop at the entrance.

"Long enough to wake them up." Bucky retorts.

Dad leads the way into the bunker with me following right behind and Bucky bringing up the rear. We find a caged elevator and travel down into the depths of the bunker. Dad on my right, Bucky on my left as I stand in the middle of the elevator. The elevator stops and the doors slide open. Bucky and I look at Dad who nods at us before heaving up the caged door. Bucky readies his gun as we walk along the corridor, keeping close to the wall. Bucky leads the way through the corridor with me behind him and Dad in the rear this time. We go up some stairs, but then there's a loud thud that causes all of us to spin around. Dad readies his shield and Bucky his gun while I just stand in the middle of the two men trying to protect me.

"Ready?" Dad asks us.

"Yeah." Bucky and I answer simultaneously.

The double doors are forced open and Tony is standing there in his Iron Man suit. Dad and I look surprised as Tony's mask comes down to reveal his face while he walks towards us. Dad walks towards him and I start too as well, but Bucky holds me back and pulls me behind him. I look up giving him a questioning look, but he doesn't look at me because his eyes are trained on Tony.

"You seem a little defensive," Tony says.

"It's been a long day," Dad answers, slowly walking to meet Tony.

"At ease, soldier. I'm not currently after you." Tony says to Bucky. He then spots me behind him. "Hey Barry Allen."

Before I can respond Dad speaks up. "Then why are you here?"

"Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe. Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself."

"Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork." Dad lowers his shield. "It's good to see you, Tony."

"You too, Cap." He then turns to Bucky. "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop..."

Dad signals him to lower his gun, but he hesitates so I elbow him in his side. Bucky lowers his gun and looks at me before looking at the two men in front of us. I walk out from behind Bucky and walk to Tony.

"Hey Shellhead." I smile at him.

He smiles back and ruffles my hair. The four of us then continue walking through the bunker, Tony leading the way with his face mask back on now. Dad follows closely behind leaving Bucky and me in the rear as we look around cautiously. Tony leads us into a chamber with capsules in it.

"I got heat signatures," Tony says as he scans the place.

"How many?" Dad asks.

"Uh... one."

As we enter the chamber the lights flicker on. Yellow mist flows through the capsules. We all look at each other, clearly confused.

"If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." The fake doctor from before says over some speakers. We all look at the soldiers in the capsules to see they're all dead. A single bullet in the middle of their foreheads. "Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

"What the hell?" Bucky says.

"I'm grateful to them, though. They brought you here." The guy's face appears in a window and Dad throws his shield at it, but it flies back not leaving a crack. Tony, Bucky, and I stand in defense, Bucky holding his gun up while Tony and I hold up a hand, ready to blast shit. "Please, Captain. The Soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets."

"I'm betting I could beat that," Tony says.

"I'm betting I could phase through that," I add on to what Tony says.

"Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr. Stark and Little Rogers. Given time."

"Again with this Little Rogers shit," I mutter.

"But then you'd never know why you came."

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Dad asks as he looks at the guy through the window.

"Who is this guy anyway?" I ask Tony specifically, knowing he would know.

"Baron Zemo." He answers as we look at Dad who walks up to the window to face Zemo.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year," Zemo answers Dad's question without the speaker since we're in earshot now. "I studied you. I followed you. But now that you're standing here, I just realized... there's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw."

"Stalker much," I say, earning a snicker from Tony and a small smirk from Bucky.

"You're Sokovian. Is that what this is about?" Dad asks him.

Zemo shakes his head. "Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No. I'm here because I made a promise."

"You lost someone?"

Zemo clicks his tongue before answering. "I lost everyone. And so will you." I look at him confusedly as he presses a button from inside the control room he's in. A screen next to us flickers on as Dad and I make our way to it. "An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumbles from within? That's dead... forever."

Dad and I look at him then back at the screen. It shows a recording of a secluded road. The date, December 16, 1991. Tony joins us as he looks at the screen anxiously.

"I know that road." He says and then looks at Zemo. "What is this?" He calls out, voice echoing in the chamber. Dad, Tony, and I look at him for an answer but don't get one. We turn our attention back to the screen.

A car crashes into a tree. Bucky rides up on his motorcycle and hops off. I look up at Bucky, knowing exactly what this video is. It's the day Tony's parents died. The day of the car "accident". I step away from the computer slowly as I wait for Tony to realize what the video is. Dad and I share a panicked look before looking back at the video.

"Help my wife. Please. Help." Tony's father, Howard Stark, says in the recording as he lies on the ground. The Winter Soldier walks over and hoists Howard by his hair. He stares at Howard's bloody face as he stares back pleadingly. "Sergeant Barnes?" Howard questions.

"Howard!" Tony's mother, Maria Stark, calls out in the background.

I look up to see Tony glaring at Bucky before looking back at the video. The Winter Soldier pounds Howard's face, hard, with his metal fist two times before his body slumps to the ground.

"Howard!" Maria calls out.

The Winter Soldier then picks up Howard's lifeless body and puts him in the driver's seat with his face against the steering wheel. It shows Maria in the passenger seat with blood streaked down her face. The Winter Soldier walks around and grips her throat with his nonmetal hand, his face expressionless as he strangles Maria. The Winter Soldier then walks up to the surveillance camera and shoots it with a gun.

Dad and I watch Tony anxiously. He then lunges towards Bucky who raises his gun in defense while I step in front of him, ready to defend him.

Dad stops him, however, as he holds him back. "Tony. Tony."

Tony turns back to look at Dad. "Did you know?" He asks softly.

"I didn't know it was him." Dad lies.

"Don't bullshit me, Rogers! Did you know?" Tony says, anger and grief laced in his voice.

"Yes." Dad answers and Tony steps back from him.

He turns to me and I see his face is consumed with anger and grief. Tears glistening in his eyes, threatening to fall at any moment.

"Did you?" He whispers so quietly, but I hear him.

As much as I want to lie to him, I just can't. Seeing his heartbroken face just makes me feel a pang of guilt in my stomach for not telling him before. There's no point in lying when there was gonna be a fight anyway and I knew that.

"Yes," I say quietly, but he hears it.

I look at his heartbroken eyes, to see them filled with betrayal. His chin juts upwards twitchily. He then turns around and punches Dad to the floor. Bucky steps to the side, making sure to not shoot me as he fires his gun at Tony's suit, but it deflects off his suit. Tony now has his face mask on once again.

"Tony don't do this. Please." I beg him. He looks at me. I can only imagine what his face looks like under that mask, angry and intent to kill. He holds up his hand and blasts me away as he goes for Bucky.

I get up as I see Tony grab Bucky and fly across the chamber, slamming him onto the floor. I speed over and kick Tony away from Bucky. Tony gets up and flies at me, about to shoulder me, but Dad pushes me out of the way and tries to block the attack with his shield, but still gets flung back. Tony puts shackles on his ankles as Bucky gets up and uppercuts him with his metal arm. I run at him and punch Tony, causing him to skid back. We both raise our repulsors at the same time and fire at one another. Both of us flying back on opposite ends. Before I can get up Tony shoots shackles onto my ankles too from where he lies on the ground.

Bucky comes over to me and goes to remove the shackles, but Tony flies into him and they both start fighting. I try to phase out of the shackles, but my powers don't work. I mean of course Stark made them power dampening shackles because why wouldn't he. I struggle with the shackles, trying to get them off as I see Tony lift Bucky into the air and slam him against a machine.

"Come on, stupid shackles," I mutter as I grab onto them and try to yank them off.

I hear an explosion go off and look up to see a towering structure of pipeworks collapse.

Dad comes over and slices the shackles with his shield and helps me up. We run over to where Tony and Bucky are above us to see the pipeworks collapsing on them. Dad and I move out of the way of the falling metal as Tony and Bucky are thrown down to the ground due to the falling metal as well. I get up and so does Dad. We spot Bucky and he looks at us.

"(Y/n) get him out of here!" Dad orders.

I nod and go over to Bucky as the both of us bolt. We go down a stairwell with Tony firing at us but misses. Bucky hits a button on the control panel to the right of us and a silostyle door overhead of us starts to open. We start climbing the platforms, Bucky helping me onto certain platforms every now and then. We continue climbing from platform to platform when we spot Tony coming after us, his jets stuttering as he flies. Bucky leaps and grabs onto the edge of a platform across from the one I stand on. Tony flies over to him and kicks him, knocking him back onto the platform I'm on and into me. Both of us smash into the wall behind us, but I get crushed by Bucky's body too. Bucky and I look up at Tony to see him taking aim at him. Before I could react though, Dad jumps in front of the blast, making it bounce off his shield and hitting Tony back as he falls on a platform below us. Dad helps Bucky up who then helps me up. Both men looking at me, checking to see if I'm okay.

"I'm fine, guys," I say to them.

Dad nods. "He's not going to stop. Go." He commands us.

"What are you gonna do?" I ask him.

"Slow him down." He says as he puts his shield on his back.

I don't have time to see what he's gonna do because Bucky grabs me and chucks me onto the platform across from the one we were standing on. He then leaps onto the platform and helps me to my feet.

"You could've just said let's go," I mumble.

"Now where's the fun in that?" Bucky asks with a smirk.

With the help of Bucky, we leap from platform to platform, making our way to the top. We are so close to reaching it and climbing out when the giant hinges on the door explode and the door starts to close shut. The both of us let go and fall onto the platform below us as Tony flies up to us. Bucky gets up and hits Tony with a pipe, causing him to fly over to me. I put all of my speed into my right hand and punch Tony, but that only causes him to fly back into a wall. He flies back toward us, sending a blast to me, but I dodge. Bucky swings the pipe at Tony while I try to blast him with my repulsors. Tony blasts at me, this time actually hitting me and I fall. Bucky tries to hold him off himself, but Tony puts him in a chokehold.

"Do you even remember them?" Tony whispers.

"I remember all of them," Bucky responds.

I grab onto Tony's leg. He looks at me and flies down as I cling to his leg. Dad jumps into us, pushing all of us back into the wall. I let go of Tony's leg due to the impact and Tony lets go of Bucky. I fall on a platform, Bucky falling on one below me, and Dad and Tony falling all the way to the concrete floor below. I groan as I get up. I spot Bucky and jump down to his platform, startling him on my impact. He sighs in relief when he sees it's only me. We see Tony getting up.

"Tony!" I call out to him. He looks up at me. "He killed my parents too."

"Why are you helping him then?" He asks softly.

I look at Bucky and he looks at me too. "Because I saw what HYDRA did to him. It wasn't his fault and I forgive him."

"This isn't gonna change what happened," Dad adds on. All of us look at him now.

Tony looks back up at me then back at Dad. "I don't care. He killed my mom." Tony says and flies at Dad.

Bucky and I watch as Dad and Tony fight. That's when I spot Dad's shield on the same platform as us. I go over and pick it up as Bucky gets up. I throw the shield to Bucky who catches it as he looks at me questioningly.

"Let's go help him," I say.

Bucky nods and we leap down. Bucky smashing the shield on Tony, who has Dad pinned to the ground. I kick Tony away from Dad. Tony looks back at us and sends a blast at us, but Bucky blocks it with Dad's shield before throwing it back to Dad who gets up. Tony gets up and goes for Bucky, but Dad and I help him. The three of us teaming up on Tony, kicking, and punching. Bucky and Dad throwing the shield back and forth to one another. Tony then blasts Dad back to a wall and kicks Bucky away. He then grabs me by the throat and slams me against the wall. I cough up blood, considering how hard he threw me. Bucky comes over and punches Tony in his back, causing him to let me go and I fall to the ground, coughing and gasping for air. Bucky and Tony go at it as I regain my breath. Once I do it's me and Bucky vs Tony. We manage to handle Tony for a while until Tony dropkicks me and sends a blast at my stomach, making me fly back to the wall next to Dad which leaves Bucky to fight Tony on his own. I wince in pain and hold my stomach. He might have broken a few ribs as hard as that kick was and sending a blast along with it doesn't help.

I move my head to dodge a beam that is coming at me. I look up to see Bucky's metal arm is completely blown away. Tony shoots Bucky in the back and he goes down. Dad then gets up and rushes at Tony with his shield while Tony fires right at it, his beam reflecting off the shield as the two face each other. I crawl over to Bucky and check on him. He's conscious and he looks at me as I crawl towards him. We watch as Dad has Tony against a wall and starts going at him, punching and hitting him in the face with his shield.

"When the dust cleared... and the screaming stopped. It took me two days until I found their bodies. My father... still holding my wife and son in his arms. And the Avengers? They went home. I knew I couldn't kill them. More powerful men than me have tried. But, if I could get them to kill each other..."

Dad throws blow after blow at Tony until Tony grabs Dad's shield and blasts it away. Dad tries to punch but Tony dodges it and blasts Dad in the stomach, causing him to fly back towards me and Bucky. I slowly get up, holding my stomach in pain, but I have to help Dad. I stand up fully as Tony blasts Dad down to his knees before me and Bucky.

"He's my friend," Dad says to Tony.

"So was I." Tony retorts and goes to punch Dad but I grab his arm.

"Tony," I say softly with pleading eyes.

"Let go of me right now, (Y/n)," Tony growls as he still looks straight at Dad.

"I'm not gonna let you hurt them," I tell him.

He looks at me and sends a blast at my stomach with the hand I'm not holding. I let go of him and yelp in pain as I fall to the ground beside Dad. Tony punches Dad in the face twice before throwing him between the gaps in the wall where snowdrifts in from outside. I cough up more blood as I struggle to push myself off the ground.

"Stay down. Final warning." Tony says to Dad and he looks back at me who's struggling to get up.

Dad struggles to his feet and stands in a fighting position, wobbling all over the place. His face is bloody and he stares Tony down. I manage to get up as well and raise my fists, ready to fight.

"I can do this all day," Dad says to Tony.

Tony looks back at me, who's ready to continue fighting if need be. "This isn't your fight (Y/n). Stay down." He commands me. "I don't want to hurt you."

I don't say anything and just stare him down. Tony raises his left palm to Dad and his right one to me. Bucky then grabs his leg and Tony spins around and kicks him in the face. I send a superkick to Tony and he blasts me at the same time the kick landed, causing me to slump on the ground again. Dad grabs onto him and lifts him over his head. Tony tries to fly away, but Dad has a good grip on him and throws him down. Dad climbs on top of him and punches him, then grabs his shield and bashes his mask off. Dad lifts his shield up once again, Tony looks at him in fear and holds his hands up to protect his face.

"Dad!" I yell at him, causing him to come back to his senses.

He sticks his shield in the core of Tony's suit instead which disables him from using it. Dad pants heavily as both men look at each other, blood covering both of their faces. He slumps off of Tony before struggling to his feet and grabbing his shield from the core of the suit. Tony rolls painfully to his side as Dad comes over and helps me up and then Bucky, who is lying on the ground, bloodied, but conscious. Dad's holding me up on his right, with his shield still in that hand, while holding up Bucky on his left.

"That shield doesn't belong to you. You don't deserve it. My father made that shield!" Tony says to Dad as we turn to walk away.

Dad stops and raises his head before dropping the shield to the ground. We walk out of the bunker not looking back once. Dad helps Bucky and me to the Quinjet we came here on. I'm ready to step on, but then Dad stops. I look up at him questioningly as he looks down at me.

"You have to go back." He says to me.

"What?" I question him.

"Go back to Tony. Live your life."

"But I want to stay with you. I'm a criminal now. Secretary Ross won't let me back so easily."

"Yes they will," Dad reassures me. "Knowing Tony he will make sure nothing happens to you."

"But what about you," I ask as tears brim my eyes.

"Don't worry about me. You have a whole life ahead of you and I'm holding you back. Graduate high school, go on to college, live your life and make me proud." He tells me.

I look at him, tears threatening to spill. I don't want him to leave and I don't want to leave him, but he's doing what's best for me. A life on the run isn't a good one and he wants me to fulfill my dreams.

I nod at him and turn towards him to give him a hug. He hugs back with the arm he was holding me up with as he still holds Bucky up in the other. I cry silently into his suit, not ever wanting to let go.

"I know." He whispers as he strokes my hair.

He lets me cry for another minute before pulling away. I see tears threatening to spill in his eyes too. He wipes the tears from my cheek and kisses my forehead. I turn to Bucky who has been watching the whole scene silently. Dad lets go of him and lets me hug him. Bucky hugs me back surprisingly.

"I'm gonna miss you too, Uncle Buck," I say to him as we pull away.

He smiles at the name and looks down at me. "I'm gonna miss you too, kiddo," Bucky says and ruffles my hair.

I look up at the two men, smiling sadly at me, not wanting me to go either. I give them one last smile as I try to stay strong this time and not cry. I walk past both of them and back into the bunker without looking back.

This movie really breaks my heart though. Hate it but love it at the same time.

—ASE715

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 24 27
An AI meant to better the world decides destruction is a much better plan and rebels against his creator. A list of Accords is drafted and given to...
10.3K 178 52
Elisabeth, Libby, Rogers, though being younger, always took it upon herself to look after her often sickly elder brother. A fight in an alley brings...
155K 6.4K 38
Everything changes in the blink of an eye. One minute I'm having the time of my life with a new family, and the next, I am six feet deep hollow of em...
2K 91 30
An attempt to create an AI to better the world epically fails and now the heroes are forced to deal with a new threat, and experimented upon twins wh...