Phoenix

By AmandaReneeBoulos

One day shy of eighteen Ember's pack and family are destroyed. She managed to escape with one other pack memb... More

Chapter 1- Ashes
Chapter 2- Shift
Chapter 3- Mate
Chapter 4- Nightmares
Chapter 6- Witch
Chapter 7- Home
Chapter 8- Family
Chapter 9-Meeting
Chapter 10- Bedtime
Chapter 11- Shopping
Chapter 12- Mark
Chapter 13- Letter
Chapter 14- Pack
Chapter 15- Luna
Chapter 16- Nevaeh
Chapter 17- Sharing
Chapter 18- Gather
Chapter 19- Meeting

Chapter 5- Emotions

33 1 0
By AmandaReneeBoulos

Ember's POV

Black. Pure nothingness. Empty. Hollow. That's all that greeted me as I slept soundly beside my mate. No nightmares torturing me. No screams of terror ripping through my unconscious mind. 

It was bliss.

"Ember, we have to get up now, mate." I was lulled from my deep sleep by the masculine voice of Alpha Zander Noveck. I peeled my blue eyes open and looked into his expressive green ones. 

"Good morning." I smiled lightly. He seemed surprise by the uplift of my lips, and for a moment I forgot the pain. For a moment, I was happy to be lying so closely with the man that was meant to spend his life with me. 

The moment passed quickly and my smile dropped. He seemed a little saddened by my sudden change in emotion and I watched his face fall. I felt a small sting in my heart that I was the one to cause such a beautiful man to frown. "Good morning Em. We should get ready so we can go meet the witch." He brushed the loose hair from my face and tucked it securely behind my ear. 

"Good idea." I said before a thought crossed my mind. Yesterday Zander loaned me a shirt and pair of shorts of his to wear around the pack house, but I can't very well wear his clothes out. "I don't have anything to wear." I said sheepishly. I felt a light blush creep up my cheeks for some reason. 

"Ah yes, I will have Aliyah bring you something from her closet. You seem to be similar in size, she's a bit taller, but they should be okay." He said referring to his sister. 

"Thank you." I said with a small grateful smile. I heard him intake a sharp breath yet again at the movement of my lips. He likes it when I smile. I will show him my real smile someday. 

"No problem. We will head out as soon as she drops off the clothes." He smiled at me and I nodded. 

I sat up in the bed and Zander followed my action. "Will anyone be going with us today?" I asked curiously. 

"I figured we could bring my Delta. You remember Christopher?" I nodded. "I would like some sort of protection just in case, so I thought we could also bring two of my warriors. Sam and Vinny." 

"Sounds good." I agreed with his plans. 

Aliyah could you bring me some of your clothes for my mate? I heard in my mind.

You met your mate?! A girly voice answered and I looked at Zander with a lifted brow. He didn't notice my look as he was concentrating on talking to his sister.

Yes. I guess with everything going on I forgot to mention it to you guys. She's here and you can meet her if you bring her some clothes. He offered.

What's she like? Is she nice? Is she beautiful? Will she be a good Luna? How'd you meet her? She's better than Caroline right?

Her name is Ember. She's very nice, I think. She's gorgeous, and Caroline doesn't even hold a candle to her.

Who's Caroline? I interrupted. 

"I forgot you could do that." He jumped and blushed. I couldn't help the small chuckle that escaped at seeing my mate so flustered. 

Who's that? Aliyah asked through the link.

Come to my room and you'll see. Zander urged before cutting off the link.

"So you think I am gorgeous?" I asked him.

"Unbelievably so." He said confidently.

"Thank you." I looked down shyly.

"Okay I'm here!" We heard at the door. Zander stood and opened the large slab of wood separating us from the rest of the house. A girl came tumbling into the room. Her hair the same dark shade of my mates. She was a bit taller than me as Zander had suspected, and a little thinner as well. She's beautiful. 

"Hello, I am Ember Fallen." I stuck my hand out to shake.

She bowed in submission "Alpha," She greeted and my brows furrowed. This will take awhile to get used to.

"None of that, Ember will be just fine." 

"Yeah, Okay." She said enthusiastically. "I'm Aliyah. You can call me Ali. I'm that butthead's little sister. I have been waiting to meet you basically my entire life." She grinned almost evilly, but in a good natured way. She likes to tease her brother. 

"Why's that?" I asked, playing her game.

"I couldn't wait to see who would be strong enough to be stuck with that bozo forever."

"HEY!" Zander protested with a laugh. "Rude." 

"Whatever. I can't wait to get to know you Ember, but first how did you guys meet?" She smiled wide at us.

"Uh, maybe now isn't the best time Liyah." Zander said. 

"Why? I love hearing these stories." She looked so excited, and I didn't want to ruin that for her so I gave her a short version. Not a lie, but not the full truth.

"Your brother offered me and my Beta a place to stay for awhile. I met Beta Jaxon in the forest and had no idea that your brother would end up being my mate." I gave her a small smile. 

"Why did you-" She started

"Not now, please Aliyah." Zander urged. "Later. Right now she needs the clothes you're holding. We have to go visit someone." 

"Okay," She said quietly. I think she read his tone. She knew it wasn't a happy thing. "I didn't know what to bring, so I grabbed some yoga pants and a t shirt. I grabbed a bra too, just in case, but I don't think mine would fit." She chuckled nervously.

"This will be great, thank you Ali." Zander had my underwear washed, so that will be fine to wear. My top and jeans tore while I was running otherwise I would have gladly worn that. 

"When we get back, we will sit down with you and mom and dad to get everything out on the table okay?" Zander told her before giving her a brotherly hug.

"Deal. I'll see you guys later." She smiled before skipping out of the room.

"I will have her get some more clothes for you while we're gone." He smiled at me.

"Thank you." I pulled off his oversized t shirt before slipping into the clothes that were waiting for me. I heard another quick breath fill my mate's lungs.

"Sorry, er uh-" He stuttered.

"It's fine. In my pack we never really took nudity to be a big deal." I shrugged my shoulders. 

"It isn't. A big deal I mean. I guess it's just different seeing your mate bare." He spoke candidly. 

"Fair." I turned around to face him, he was turned away facing the door. "You may turn around, I'm dressed now." I informed him. 

"Perfect." He smiled. "Let's head out now."

Zander called the three men that would be journeying with us today to the front of the pack house. Last night he gave our Betas instructions to keep the pack going while we were gone. There wasn't much they needed to do. Just make sure the border was still being watched, be on the lookout for rogues and such. Normal stuff like that.

We were met out front by the three men. No one knew we were leaving really so there wasn't some big goodbye or something. I took a few steps towards the tree line before Zander placed a gentle hand on my bicep to stop me.

"Let's drive." He said with a small smile. He pointed towards the side of the house when I noted a few cars lined up.

"Right. I almost forgot those existed. My pack never really drove anywhere. I think we had like one emergency car hidden somewhere, but I'd never been in it before." I told the men, feeling a little embarrassed by my lack of knowledge about the vehicles. 

"Well then you're in for a treat, love. Let's go." He grabbed my hand and pulled me towards a large vehicle. The black beast in front of me was a little daunting. The metallic machine reflected sunlight in an almost blinding manor. "What do you think?" Zander asked with a sort of smirk.

"I think it's a little intimidating." I told him honestly, to which he chuckled. I love that sound. 

"Here." He opened the front door for me and I climbed in with only a little hesitation. "Our three escorts will be taking their own car. They will drive ahead of us to watch for any threats to your safety." 

"Okay, you said it was about a day from here?" I asked him.

"On foot yes, I believe it'll only take a few hours since we're driving." Zander helped buckle my seat belt before walking around to get to his side. 

"That's not so bad then." I told him.

Zander twisted the key and the engine roared to life. The sound and the vibration frightened me for a moment, but I recovered quickly. He turned a bit in his seat to peer out of the back windshield so he could back out of the driveway. "Do you like music?" He asked once we made it onto the main road.

"I do." I smiled internally as I recalled memories of my mother, father and I laughing and dancing around the house while music blasted through the radio we had. "We used to have these silly dance parties. My parents and I, I mean." I told him. 

"We can do that too, if you want." He offered quietly. So quiet I could have imagined it, so I didn't respond. I wouldn't know what to say anyway. Those moments were some of my absolute favorites, but would it be a hit to their memory if I shared moments like that with someone else? 

I know deep in my gut that my parents wouldn't want me to be this way. They would want me to smile and do everything I can to move on from this grief. They wouldn't want me to forget them, but they'd want me to live and love and enjoy life. They would want me to remember the happy moments, the times where we were smiling. 

"I'm sorry." I whispered to my mate. I felt my eyes well up with tears. I know I promised myself two days ago that I wouldn't cry, I would be hard and strong, but I can't help it. I'm not that person. I have always been the girl that smiles at everything. I am the product of the two gentle souls that were my parents. 

"Why are you sorry, love?" He asked, glancing at me but not taking his eyes off the road for too long. 

"I know this isn't what you wanted for your mate. I come with so much baggage, and-" I was cut off by a sob. I felt the car veer a sharp right as Zander pulled off the road. 

Alpha? Everything okay back there? Delt Chris asked in the mind link

We're okay, pull off just ahead. We just need a minute. Zander answered before cutting the link.

He pressed a button on the dash and unbuckled his seatbelt before opening the door and hopping out. He walked swiftly around the vehicle and before I knew it the door was torn open. He reached over me and pressed the button that released my seatbelt. After removing me from my seat and setting my feet gently on the gravel we were parked on he pulled me tightly into his chest and walked farther off the road to the line of trees.

"None of that." He whispered, I continued to cry into his black t shirt. "You are everything I've ever wanted in my mate. You're so strong. You're beautiful, and kind. I know I don't know very much about you yet, but I can already tell that you're going to make an incredible Luna." He placed a small kiss to my temple, "I know you're going through a lot right now, but I am here. I here to help you in anyway you need me. I am here." He urged. I nodded my head as my sobbing calmed down a little. 

"I'm sorry, I don't know where that came from." I said in a stern tone wiping my face of all of the tears I let fall.

"You never need to apologize for your emotions. They are yours to have and you owe nobody an explanation. Not even me." He kissed my cheek. The tingles I feel when he touches me are nothing compared to what I feel when his lips are on me. 

I turned away from Zander so we could get back on the road. I must have turned too quick, because I almost lost my balance. I placed me tear stained hand on a tree to stabilize myself. "Woah, you okay?" My mate jumped to help me stand properly.

"Yeah. I think I'm just overwhelmed." I shook my head to try and clear the rest of these heavy thoughts. "We should get back on the road."

"Are you sure?" He peered into my eyes looking for any sign that I wasn't ready.

"Yeah, let's go." I gave him a small smile and grabbed his hand leading him back to the awaiting vehicle. 

My mate opened my door for me again, this time I buckled the seatbelt myself. He got into his seat and looked at me one more time before starting up the car again. He flipped something and looked behind him and we waited for two cars to pass before we were ready to pull out onto the road.

I looked back to the spot where he provided me such comfort once more. My eyes caught on the luscious green patch of grass just below one of the trees where we had been standing. In the center of the grass stood a single lilly. How did I not notice that before?

"Why don't you take a nap, my mate. I will wake you when we are close." Zander suggested, and I nodded. A nap sounds perfect. 

It didn't take long for me to fall asleep, lulled by the vibration of the vehicle.

'Emmy' I heard an almost hollow voice echo through my mind. 'Emmy, you need to go home.'

'Dad?' I called back one I placed the voice.

'Yeah, baby.'  He appeared in front of me. His masculine features the same as I last saw them, minus the fear and devastation. 

'What? I don't understand what's happening' I told him 'Where's mom?'

'I'm right here, moon.' She smiled at me. Her blue eyes shining with unshed tears. 

'I met my mate, and my wolf.' I told them.

'We know. I'm please to see that Zander Noveck is the man you're destined to be with my sweet Emmy.' Dad said with one of his comforting smiles. 

'And Phoenix, you're beautiful.' My mother spoke.

'Thank you.' My wolf responded proudly.

'Listen, baby we don't have much time.' Dad started, 'When you're done speaking to the witch, you have to go home. You need to go back to our territory okay?'

'Why, dad? I don't think I can handle seeing that.' I told him.

'You can Emmy. You're so very strong. There's something there you need to find. It's very important okay?'

'What is it?' I asked, but they began to fade from my mind as I began to shake. I used all of my strength to hold on to this dream like state.

'No time baby. Just know that we love you and we are so proud of everything you are going to do with your life. Remember that, Alpha Ember Fox Fallen. Remember that forever please.' My dad urged as him and mom faded completely from me.

"Hey, we're here love." Zander smiled at me once I opened my eyes. He was standing beside me as I was still seated in the car.

"Thank you for letting me sleep. I needed that." I told him and he nodded before kissing my temple.

"Let's go figure out what's going on with you okay?" He reached a hand out for me to take. 

"Let's." I took his hand and hopped out. "Wait." I called and he stopped walking.

"You okay?" He asked and I nodded.

"Yeah, just when we're done can we go to my territory? I need to see it." I told him. I decided I'd explain my reasoning after we spoke with the witch.

"If that's what you need to do, then absolutely."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 36 7
Humanity has fallen, the supernaturals have come out of hiding and taken control. Years after watching the chaos of The Fall Emelia is faced with her...
1.3K 43 20
After loosing her mom in a rogue attack Ava takes the leap to move in with her Birth Father in a new town, new state and a new pack! Expecting nothin...
68.2K 1.6K 26
After Layla is forced on a rip across the country to visit all of the packs in the U.S.A. a lot of unexpected things happens. She meets her mate for...
65.2K 2.3K 20
Mark is the alpha of the intelligence pack. He was raised by the power pack and when other packs realized the need for a smarter pack, they all turn...