A Thorn In The Ice

By QueenOfGeeks

"I fully expected you to say that I was the sort of Prince whose story would involve going into cahoots with... More

Prologue
Chapter One: Dead Freeze*
Chapter Two: Bitter Cold*
Chapter Three: Walls Of Ice*
Chapter Four: Chilling Me Softly*
Chapter 5: The Melted Man*
Chapter 6: Thawed*
Chapter Seven: Stone Cold*
Chapter Eight: Cold Company*
Chapter Nine: On The Rocks*
Chapter 10: Fighting Ice*
Chapter 11: Avalanche*
Chapter 12: White Nights*
Part 13: Kiss To Chill
Part 14: Touch Of Ice
Part 15: Best Served Cold
Chapter 16: Piercing Ice
Chapter 17: Melted Resolve
Chapter 18: Frozen Solid
Chapter 19: Under Pressure
Chapter 20: Breaking The Ice
Chapter 21: Anything But Cold
Chapter 22: Snow Place Like Home
Chapter 23: Thawed Passion (Part 1)
Chapter 23: Thawed Passion (Part 2)
Chapter 24: Ice On Fire
Chapter 25: Caged In Ice
Chapter 26: As Unforgiven As Winter
Chapter 27: A Cold Bed Of Enemies
Chapter 28: The Temperature Of Pleasantries
Chapter 29: Blood On The Ice
Chapter 30: Cold Feet
Chapter 32: A Cold Day In Hell
Chapter 33: The Cold War
Chapter 34: Cold Light Of Day
Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 1)
Chapter 35: The Chilling Truth (part 2)
Chapter 36: Frozen In Shock
Chapter 37: Snow Time Like the Present
Chapter 38: Ice No More
Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 1)
Chapter 39: Over Ice (Part 2)
Chapter 40: White Wedding (Part 1)
Chapter 40: White Wedding (Part 2)
Chapter 41 Ice Breaker (part 1)
Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 2)
Chapter 41: Ice Breaker (Part 3)
Chapter 42: The Warmth Of Weddings (Part 1)
Chapter 42: The Warmth Of Weddings (Part 2)
Chapter 43 (Final Chapter)

Chapter 31: Chilled Depths

1K 105 10
By QueenOfGeeks

The cannons boomed from beneath the belly of The Guardian: causing the entire deck to wobble at each blast as they fired onto the horde armada.

The seasickness in his stomach that Simon had finally fought off through the night was now being replaced by nerves. He feared for Adelaide, and wondered if they had made it there to her in time, having sailed all through the night at top speeds.
Niether himself nor the prince had slept, and he knew the other man also dreaded the slaughter ahead.
The unclean feeling from his actions the day before still had not faded, as killing went against everything he had been raised by. Simons parents had apprenticed him early to the original castle Stablemaster, so that their boy would never have to step foot in a barrack; but despite his father's best efforts, Simon knew more killing would be something he'd have to do today. 
The loud blasts of the cannonballs being ejected startled him yet again, it was a noise he doubted he would ever grow accustomed to.

"More speed!" Barked Iolas, glaring at the dark ships ahead of them.
"Angle the ship, concentrate on the smaller vessels first. Spare no ammunition. "
The Royal expertly led the troops.
Simon had to admit, he was impressed.  Good or evil, Iolas appeared born for this job. 
"Get down!"
The Commodore yells at Simon.
It was getting dangerous up here.

Feeling the need to do something, Simon sprinted over towards the Prince. 
"Man the upper deck cannons."
Iolas orders and all the men who weren't below deck operating the cannons, slide down from the sails they were adjusting, and run for the extra cannons, those of which lined the outskirts of the upper deck. 
10 of the world's finest humongous black cannons on each side of the ship.
"How can I help? " Simon asked.
The red haired prince glances between the taller blonde and the only unmanned cannon, then back again.
"How's your aim?" He asked.

Before he could really think too much on it, the prince had him basing a cannon.
 Iolas loaded the barrel and pressed the fodder while Simon followed his instructions to prepare the fuses.
 "Aim for the lower hull, so the ship will take on water once hit. "
Iolas called out, hoping to god the stable boy could handle it.
Simon swiveled the black hunk of metal around.
"The men know this is basically a suicide mission right?" Simon asked. "Yes." He responded, busy with his work, lifting the ball into the barrel.  "Do you?" Simon struck the fuse as he questioned.

The prince looks straight Simon as he wipes the grease off his hands and onto his breaches.
"It's better to die for something right?" Then he smirks.
"And she is something, isnt she?"
He said quietly, almost under his breath.

A cheer of victory resonated from The Guardian when the second fleet ship started to take on water, thanks to their heavy firepower; it's enemy crew abandoning ship, diving into the water and swimming for the island.
But the moment of victory was quickly dispersed with the ear splitting sound of a cannon ball crashing into the port hull. The side of the front of the ship.  Wood splintering and flying into the sea below.
"Dodge and weave. Release all the sails. We must take on the mothership!" The Prince called up to the Commodore who held the helm, the giant wooden wheel that steered the Guardian.
The nautical skills of these islanders never ceased to impress. They expertly outran the heavier, bulkier ships and close in on the mother ship. The giant monster ship coming closer and closer. it's blood red sails looming like a bad omen.

"Aim for the rudder." Iolas orders the cannon operators at the bow of the ship.
"So they can't turn towards us." 
The 6 cannons at the front end all aim for the rudder, the blade on the back of the ship that controls the steering, which sits just below the surface of the water.
Simon closed one eye and took aim, any second now the fuse would burn out. With an almost deafening set of booms the other cannons set off. Some missing the ship by just inches. One hitting the back of the stern. He positioned the cannon and faster than the eye can see a ball launches out, landing just below the surface, but still crippling the rudder.
"Great shot!" Iolad slapped him on the back in congratulations. 
"Men, get ready to take the boat, we have just minutes till the rest of the ship's catch up with us."

"Lock my newest wife in the chamber with the others." 
The villain growled after setting a metal circlet atop her head. He then roughly pushed her towards Groaa. 
The skinny gangly barbarian picked her up and tossed the queen easily over his shoulder, like a baker would a sack of flour.

Adelaide picked this time to put up a fight, pounding her fists into his back, but it was useless. Groaa was as immovable as a rock. 
He carries her down the stairs and pushed her into a dimly lit room.  
She pounded on the door after he shut it, but it was of no use.

Adelaide jumped in surprised at the touch of a soft hand. She turned and was further surprised at the sight of a strange young girl. She had long, smooth, raven black hair, almond shaped eyes teeming with a foriegn mystery stared back at Adelaide with a mixture of concern and pity. She was dressed in faded, but beautiful embroidered red silks, and judging from the way her garment bulged tightly at her stomach, she was with child.  In the low candle light of the chamber, the Queen could make out four other feminine figures behind her. Each of which looked like nothing the Aelford royal had ever seen before. They were standing in what looked like a large bed chamber, with several beds lining the walls, as well as some assorted furnishings.

The first woman that caught her eye was a brazen beauty with skin like umber, a dark, cool shade much like the deep brown jewels once favored by her brother. So captivated by her intense beauty that momentarily Adelaide was frozen in place, she had never seen such a person before. Her eyes were like amber, fierce and strong;  a small baby girl with slightly lighter skin, and spiraled, honey colored hair she held tightly against herself.

Beside her was a woman with intense hair so red it made her own seem brown in comparison, a large toddler supported himself by this woman's knee. To her right tall, thin brunette women dressed wearing what looked strangely, like a bed sheet wrapped elegantly around her body, she as well was with child. Finally another woman, if you could call her that considering she appeared so young, more like a girl; with bronze skin and dark hair, she had it braided and wore what looked like a dress of tanned animal skins and a necklace made of bone. Again, also with child.

All  remarkably beautiful In the most different of ways. In that moment Adelaide realized why he wanted to marry her rather than just kill and conquer. He was a collector. 
Despite their strikingly different garments, all of these woman wore a gold circlet atop their heads.
Symbols of Barbaric stature, and Adelaide realized that like herself, these woman were likely also all royalty.

"Are you ill?" The woman in the silk dress asks through an almost innegable accent. Concern filled her hauntingly beautiful gaze.
The one with the red hair steps forward. 
"What Meili means is are you hurt?"  
Immediately Adelaide recognized her voice, her dialect was that of an island far to the south, one called Aileena.
Once in a blue moon Aelford would receive a trade ship in the port that had wandered far from home. It was also her understanding that the current queen of the Southern Isles was originally from this land. Hence the famous red hair that Iolas and all his siblings bore.
"You are from Aileena?"
Adelaide asked. 

"Yes, I am.” A look of long forgotten familiarity takes root in her bright green eyes. 
“What are you doing here? How are you on this ship. You are royalty are you not?” The questions fall from Adelaide's lips quickly. 
“I am princess Ava.”
Her voice seemed sounded tired, and not in the way that could be cured by sleep.
 “A decade ago my ship was captured by the Scourge and I have been a prisoner ever since."
Said Ava.
"And these others,  are you all royalty as well?"
 Adelaide questioned, but already knowing the answer.  
Each of the woman nodded in turn except the one in the strange white dress.

"I am Callisto of Gennadios." She introduced herself, her voice also tired.
“My homeland has no monarchy.
It is a democracy. Run by elected officials instead of a lineage. But my mother was one of those officials so...."
So basically the same thing as a royal, at least as far as this barbarians were concerned.
Thought Adelaide.
"I was aboard a merchant ship with my father when it was sized.... I was traded for the life of the passengers."
She hangs her head low as she explains. Adelaide heart breaks as she began to contemplate the combined suffering these women must have endured at the hands... and in the bed of Lord Dregg. A suffering she too might soon endure.

Adelaide attention returned once again to the beauty with the darkest skin she had ever seen. 
"Its rude to stare." She snaps at Adelaide, narrowing her eyes and pulling her child closer. 
"Please relax Amoya," Ava speaks.
"I am sure the girl means no harm. She is one of us now..." 
Reasures the Eileenian.
 “She my dear, is Amoya, and is princess of another, beautiful, far away island that these cretins once touched their filthy boots down upon.” 
Adelaide next look to the leather clad girl. So quietly she stood at the back of the room. One hand resting on her swollen midsection. She couldn't have been much older than 12 or 13.
"What about you?" I ask her.
"That is Enemene." Aileen responds.
"She was the newest of us until you. She comes from a land of which distance cannot be fathomed. A land so far away and with warriors so fierce that even the Scourge could not conquer. She instead was stolen from her homeland, snatched right from it by these monsters, given as a souvenir by the brother of Lord Dregg; only 6 months ago as a gift.” 
Disgust struck Adelaide like a punch in the gut. How could living, breathing humans being be treated like a parcels? Apparently it was a great and profitable trade among these barbarians.

The ship wrenched violently side to side and Adelaide reached out for the nearest bed post to grip.
With each fire of the humongous cannons the whole vessel vibrated. She could hear shouting above, The Bloodhound had lost the rudder and another ship was coming up fast.

The Isles flagship rammed into this one. Above she could hear battle cries and the sounds of the physical fight beginning. Cries of pain mixed in with the clashing of steel. Adelaide covered her ears, trying to block out the screams. 

The other wives and the few children had barricaded themselves between the beds. Adelaide heard the crashing of heavy footfalls on the staircase above.
 Glancing frantically around, she reachef for the nearest object to use as a weapon, a piece of lumber from the stack beside the fireplace. 

The lock on the door is slid open and in the dim light, two men burst in. 
As quickly as they enter, they turn and press themselves against the door. 
One man reaches for the nearest chair to barrage the door with. 
She caught a glance of the face of the other, red hair, dark eyes, and the sharpest jawline is what greeted her
"Iolas!" She cried, running into his arms and burying her face into his shoulders.  
"You're alive!" She pulled back and happily cupped his cheek in her hand. 
"You came back for me!"
He is battle weary and his armor is encrusted with dried blood.
 Iolas smiles down at me and covers her hand with his.
"I had a good reason."

The other figure clears his throat. Pulling off his helmet Adelaide is greeted with soft, unkept blonde hair and the most soft and caring eyes.
Her heart stops in her chest. 
She cannot believe her own vision. 
 "SIMON?!?"

_____________________

A/N: Happy(ish) Friday Y'all!
For those concerned about my wellbeing, I am so incredibly humbled.
You are all such wonderful people.
So far no word when this virus will be over and allow me to return back to "real" work.
I unfortunately did not yet receive one of the stimulus checks sent out by my government, so and as much as I straight up hated too, I have since filed for unemployment. Hopefully I get approved soon, but I will be alright at least for now. How are you guys all doing? Anyone else (or your parents) lost their job and had their lives flipped around because of this?
Much Love
-QueenOfGeeks

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.2K 729 54
Enemies to Lovers - Forced Proximity - Historical Romance • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •...
550K 44.1K 97
❃ MULTIPLE AWARD WINNER ❃ Born in Westfall to a poor family, violet-eyed Idira endures hunger, isolation and abuse at the hands of her cruel father u...
A Simple Deception By Laura

Historical Fiction

480K 47.5K 42
At three and twenty, Lady Susanna Beresford is at dire risk of being considered an old maid, though she is determined that nothing but the deepest lo...
43.2K 3.2K 35
[COMPLETE] After returning from 1869, Tilly Fletcher is determined to keep her time-travelling a secret from her friends and family. She attempts to...