Hunted (Gods&Monsters Book 1)

By vchenoweth

What happens when you're the strongest mage in the world? You have a lot of people set on killing you. At lea... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4

Chapter 1

26 3 0
By vchenoweth

"Serena~"

Muttering several foul curses under her breath, Serena Blackthorn halted in bringing the shot of whiskey to her lips. She would recognize that voice anywhere. The one-man she wished would just leave her the fuck alone already. But he wasn't just a man, he was Death incarnate. Centuries ago, she had turned down his advances and in a petty form of revenge, he cursed her with immortality. A flash of heat surged up her fingers as her magic awakened and begged to be fed. Having the ability to summon the fires of hell could be considered a curse in itself as not always she could control them. Sometimes it seemed as if they had a mind of their own. Raking a hand through her mess of dark red curls. She hissed at him vehemently. "I'm not in the mood Death."

The whole point of her coming to the Siren's Song was to get shit-faced drunk and to possibly get lucky with one of the handsome werewolves currently playing billiards. But now that Death was here with her, she felt her buzz slowly fading away. Shaking her head, she quickly downed the shot and growled low in her throat as it burned on the way down and reignited the fire in her gut. As if he could hear her thoughts Death let out a dark chuckle. He then reached across their bond and brushed his lips against the shell of her ear and purred huskily. "Oh, don't be that way lass. We both know that you enjoy my visits." Rolling her eyes at his antics, she started to reply when she noticed the dark-haired Fae behind the bar tense up considerably.

As Death continued to babble away in her head, Serena motioned for the Fae to pour her another shot. Vibrant blue eyes clashed with her own and she could tell the poor guy was absolutely terrified. She offered him a small reassuring smile and mouthed silently. "Get down." Understanding flashed across his face as he quickly ducked behind the bar, the bottle of whiskey still in his hand. Twirling her empty shot glass in her hand, she growled out harshly to the stranger. "Can't I just have one fucking night to myself, without one of you bastards finding me!?!?" Her flames responded to her anger and she watched as they slowly danced across her fingers and up her arms.

They emitted a vibrant blue glow and chased away any lingering shadows. A metallic tang tickled her nose followed by the scents of pine and mead. Several animalistic growls sounded from the billiards table but she knew that the werewolves weren't stupid enough to attack a God. Let alone the God of Thunder himself, Thor. The crackle of electricity was the only warning she got of the coming attack. Spinning around in her chair, she quickly created a barrier with her flames. A pained grunt shoved its way past her lips as a lightning bolt slammed into it which caused her back to slam against the bar. Serena felt Death's rage as he seethed in her mind. Having enough she growled at him. "Leave Death, I'll deal with you once I'm done with Thor."

A quick flick of her wrists sent the attack slamming into the bar behind her causing several bottles of hard liquor to shatter. She bit back a feral curse as several shards of glass sliced into her face and neck. Blood trickled down her face and stained the white tank top that she was wearing. Swiping the blood away with the back of her hand. She hissed at the blonde-haired man lingering in the doorway of the bar. "Really Thor! You've stooped so low as to attack me when my back is turned." Booming laughter left the God as he stalked further into the room. His golden plaited hair hovered just above his broad shoulders and a thick beard covered his strong jaw.

Lightning danced in his dark blue eyes as he came to a stop just a hair's breadth from her. Serena had to crane her neck up so that she could look him in the eye as he was several inches taller than her. He was dressed simply, a dark grey long-sleeved shirt covered his muscular chest. Dark washed jeans hugged his hips and light grey dress shoes completed his outfit.  Runic tattoos peeked out from beneath his shirt sleeves and she could see several more running up his neck. At one point in time, Serena would have thought him handsome if he hadn't tried to kill her multiple times over the years. Her anger reached a raging boil as his lips lifted up into a Cheshire- Cat-like grin. Followed by the bastard rumbling out. "As long as the flames of Hell answer to your call, you will always have someone coming for your head my lovely..."

Without thinking, Serena drew back a hand and slapped him hard across the face. The sound resounded around the bar and she vaguely heard someone mutter a curse under their breath. She then growls back at him. "It's not like I chose to have this power, but I'll be damned if I'll let someone kill me so they can have it!!!" An animalistic growl rumbled from Thor and before she could summon her flames. He returned the gesture, slapping her hard across the face. The blow would have sent her sprawling onto the floor if Thor hadn't snatched ahold of her wrist in a bruising grip.  Dazed, Serena let out a pained grunt and began to struggle in a vain attempt to get herself free.

In a sickly sweet voice, Thor taunted her. "Come now Serena, that can't be the best that you can do against little old me." Her flames didn't like that one bit and before she could tamper them down they leaped from her straight into his smug face. Several feral curses left him and he quickly released his hold on her and began patting down his body in an attempt to put the flames out. But now that they had something to feed on there was no calling them back. Serena watched as they spread across his clothes and into his hair. The smell of burning meat soon filled the air and she fought not to retch. But to his credit, Thor did not scream. Those blue eyes clashed with her green ones and he warbled out weakly. "This isn't over you bitch, oh, and here's a little something to remember me by!"

A lightning bolt shot out from the charred remains of his right hand and slammed right into the center of her chest.  Crying out in agony Serena clutched at her chest as she fell to the ground. Thor grinned triumphantly at her pain before he disappeared in a flash of bright light. The only proof that he had been there at all was the scorch mark that scarred the hardwood floor. And the lingering stench of burning flesh. She vaguely felt her flames return to her but all that did was increase the pain tenfold. Her limbs flailed about as the electricity coursed through her veins. Relaxing her throat she let out a shrill scream. Shadows soon gathered at the edges of her line of sight as she laid there possibly dying.

Death never mentioned if being cooked from the inside out would kill her or not. Finding it hard to breathe, she rasped out weakly. "Looks like I can die after all, Death." The sound of approaching footsteps had her muttering several foul curses under her breath. She then addresses the stranger. "If you're here to kill me you're too late, someone's already beaten you to the punch." A handsome face filled her line of sight and she soon realized that it was one of the werewolves that had been playing pool before Thor arrived.  He offered her a lopsided grin before replying back raucously. "You're too pretty to die just yet, sweetness. My brother just left to go get you some help."

Taken aback, Serena opened her mouth to reply when the darkness swarmed her and pulled her into its warm embrace. Lucas let loose several curses fly like the beautiful woman who took on a God and survived fell unconscious. He watched as her body continued to twitch and he flinched in sympathy. The pain she was going through had to be unbearable, he didn't know how she had managed to stay conscious.  A soft voice suddenly called out from behind the bar. "Is it safe to come out?" Recognizing the voice of belonging to Fenris the bartender here at the Siren's Song, Lucas called back to him calmly. "It's safe now Fen."  His dark head popped up from behind the bar and he let out a panicked cry as he took in the state the woman was in.

He then stuttered out. "I-is she g-going to be o-ok?!" A grimness settled on Lucas's shoulders, he honestly didn't know if she would survive. But if she could summon blue flames then something had to be special about her. The door to the bar slammed open and in stormed his older brother Xander and what looked like an elven healer close on his heels. She took one look at the woman on the floor and let out a sigh of relief. Looking at both of them she then stated matter of factly. "This woman does not need my help, she will heal on her own. Though I would suggest getting her somewhere safe until she does." With that said, she then turned on her heel and exited the bar leaving them both flabbergasted.

They then looked back and forth at one another until finally, Lucas spoke up. "We could always take her back to the house?" Xander looked up to the ceiling for guidance but ultimately responded back tartly. "And have the rest of the pack sniffing at her like a prime cut of meat, but what other choice do we have really." A teasing grin spread across Lucas's face as he piped up. "None. I'll carry her." Rolling his eyes at his brother's antics, Xander left him to it and walked over to Fenris to pay their tab as well as the mysterious woman's tab. Lucas sucked in a sharp breath as he got zapped over and over again as he gathered her in his arms but he quickly shut out the pain.

Zander soon rejoined him and the three of them left the Siren's Song. Fenris saw them off, a perplexed expression on his handsome face but he soon shrugged it off. Not wanting any more excitement he went back inside and locked up for the night. He then went behind the bar and fetched his finest bottle of scotch and headed off for home. His mind filled with the images of the blue flames that answered to the mysterious woman. The questions that nettled at him were. Who was she? Why did even the Gods want her dead? How was she able to summon blue flames? But ultimately she was no longer his concern so he pushed them to the back of his mind.    Fenris started humming softly to himself as he focused on getting back home.

As he went to pass by an alleyway, he vaguely saw something move in the shadows. Tensing slightly, Fenris quickened his steps when something lunged at him knocking him off his feet. The bottle of scotch shattered on the sidewalk sending the expensive liquor in every direction. A frightened scream shoved its way past his busted lips though it was cut short as whatever tackled him dragged him back into the alley. And that's when the screaming really started.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

279K 5.9K 33
WATTPAD BOOKS EDITION You do magic once, and it sticks to you like glitter glue... When Johnny and his best friend, Alison, pass their summer holid...