Chasing in the Wild (Universi...

By 4reuminct

University Series #3. Sevi, the team captain of Growling Tigers, never expected to fall in love again after h... More

PROLOGUE
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
EPILOGUE
Author's Note
Anniversary Special Chapter

25

2.6M 70.9K 191K
By 4reuminct

"The table is now open for questions." 

I picked up my pen and my small notebook, where I wrote down my questions for the project. I already scanned the whole plan, but since I wasn't informed about what happened during their first meeting, I had a lot of questions on my mind. 

"So, the location is in Batangas, right?" I asked, looking at the folder. 

"Yes, Ma'am," the presenter answered. 

"How long would the construction take? In estimation?"

"Three years, hopefully." I looked at Engineer Camero when he answered. "It was already discussed in the last meeting." 

His voice was cold. He did not even look at me when he answered. He was just reading something in his folder, totally ignoring my presence. The side of my lips rose when I heard his sarcastic reply. 

"My apologies, then, Engineer Camero. You might not have noticed that I was not around in the last meeting." I almost scoffed. 

"He was also not around in the last meeting, Madam," Alice whispered. 

"Oh..." I couldn't help but laugh. This man! Kung makapagsalita, akala mo naman ay nasa meeting! 

"I would like to inform everyone that Miss Ledezma just got appointed as the C.E.O after we discussed the collaboration, and she was also out of the office for two weeks to meet with business partners in Europe, America, and other parts of Asia," my secretary informed. 

Austin was probably the one who attended the meeting for me, or maybe they held the meeting before I got appointed. I wasn't sure about that. They did inform me about a new project, but they did not tell me that Valeria Group Construction was in-charge of it. 

Or maybe I forgot about it completely? Ah, fuck, I still have jetlag. My brain won't function! 

Three years na ba? 

Going four. I can't say that I stayed in the U.S. for three whole years. I travelled a lot with the money I got after I became the major shareholder of the company. I smirked. 

I played a lot and explored a lot with my newly-found freedom until I realized that I wanted to do more. I wanted to keep myself busy, but I never knew that this job would really stress me out. I was still in my adjusting phase. I hoped that it will get better. 

Travelling and working were my ways to cope. I did everything to forget my guilt, pain, love, regret, everything. Along with the process, it seemed like I forgot who I was before and just changed until I couldn't even recognize myself anymore. I had to create a mask of my own in order to face the people in the company, scared that they might also become monsters like my dad. He ruined me so badly. 

"Alice, kindly compile everything about this project, including the calendar, budget, final design, past presentations, and other documents needed, then send it to my e-mail," I told her. "If you have a hard copy, you can bring them to my office." 

"Yes, Madam." She nodded. 

"When will the groundbreaking start, Engineer Camero?" I raised a brow. 

"As soon as we get your approval, Miss Ledezma." He looked at me now with no emotion in his eyes. How cold.

"I will inform your company." I nodded. "Meeting adjourned." 

Everyone stood up and started fixing their things. Tumayo na rin ako at kinuha ang gamit ko bago naglakad paalis. I was like walking on a runway. Everyone would stop walking to give way to me. 

"Alice..." I stopped walking when I remembered something. 

"Madam?" she nervously asked.

"Do you like my hair?" I curiously asked her. "Does it look weird?" 

I pointed at my ash grey hair in soft curls, ending just above my waist. I dyed my hair a month ago, and good thing the color wasn't that bright. Bagay naman sa 'kin. May pagka-ombré siya. 

"Hindi po weird, Madam! Bagay po sa inyo." She gave me a big smile. "You look like an international model!" 

"Thanks." I smiled cutely before walking again. 

I spent the whole day reading about the new project in Batangas. It was a large beach resort, so it would take years to finish. The architect in charge was our employee, si Architect Rosario. I actually liked the design. Austin probably approved this one. 

"Elyse..." Austin went inside my office. Speaking of. "Dinner?" 

I nodded and stood up to get my things. We grew closer together only because his dad was the new Chairman of the board, and I had to get along with them. Austin would also inform me about the company while I was away, so he really helped me a lot. 

"I didn't know they would put Engineer Camero in charge," Austin explained while we were eating. 

"It's fine." I laughed. "It's not a big deal anymore." 

At least makikita ko siya, duh! 

'Huwag ka nang babalik. Huwag ka nang magpapakita sa 'kin. Parang awa mo na.' 

The smile on my face faded when I remembered his last words to me. I stared at the glass of water for a moment as I felt a slight pain in my chest. In my head, I was already apologizing to him for showing up again. 

It wasn't my fault! It wasn't my plan, but I must admit that it made me excited. I wanted to impress him. I wanted to show him that I was doing fine. I wasn't the same anymore. I already changed.

But his attitude towards me didn't change at all. I smiled bitterly. I just wanted us to be okay or to act civil towards each other. 

"Hey, are you listening to me?" Austin caught my attention. 

"Oh, sorry, I was thinking of something else..." I laughed it off. 

"I said, masyadong maangas ang dating ni Engineer Camero. I don't like him." He shrugged. "Just because he's one of the most successful engineers in the industry doesn't mean that he's also allowed to talk back to you like what happened earlier."

"Come on, it's fine." I smiled. "He was not talking back. He was just answering my question." 

"Don't defend him. If it was another person, you would probably complain about it." Austin raised his brows. "Am I right, Miss Ledezma? Him, being your ex, has an advantage?" 

I did not answer. I just smirked at him and sipped on my water. After our dinner, kinuha ko na ang gamit ko at hinatid na niya 'ko sa labas. I went inside my white Lexus and put my bag by my side. Nilabas ko ang phone ko para i-open ang Waze. I was still bad at directions. 

I went home to our mansion. Since wala si Daddy, wala na si Mommy, and ayaw din tumira rito ni Kuya, ako na lang. It was renovated a little, and I changed some colors so it would look modern. My room also became bigger, and I used another room as my walk-in closet, which was bigger than the last time. It was connected to my room with a sliding door. 

We only had two guards and two helpers to maintain the cleanliness and security of the house. The two helpers would only go here to clean the house and do the laundry, and then they would go home already unless I still needed anything. Kuya Roel was still our butler. He was in charge of everything. 

I took my YSL heels off and walked upstairs to put them inside my walk-in closet. I also cleaned my bag before I placed it on the shelf. Wala ng guilt kapag gumagastos ako ngayon dahil alam kong pera ko 'yon. I was working for it. Sometimes, I would just make dumb excuses for myself and say, 'I deserve this.'

I took a shower and went to bed wearing my pajamas. I just stared at the ceiling in silence, realizing how lonely it was to live in a large mansion alone. Wala nang thrill sa buhay ko. It was the usual routine every day. Wake up, go to work, get stressed out, go home, sleep, and then repeat. 

I looked at my knot ring and remembered him again. I couldn't take this off ever since I started wearing it. When I tried to remove it, I just felt naked. I felt like something was missing. Hindi ko siya kayang alisin sa 'kin. 

"I already lost you years ago, but why the hell are you still on my mind?" I whispered. 

The next day, I asked for a meeting regarding the project. I wanted to make minor changes to the design. This time, I was ready to see him. I tied my hair in a high ponytail and put on my shades before going out of the car and giving the key to the valet. 

Every employee would stop walking to greet me as I walked my way towards the elevator, holding my cup of coffee. I did not smile. I just looked forward and ignored my surroundings because I felt... nervous. 

"Alice!" I called as soon as I went inside my office. 

"Madam!" Natatarantang pumasok sa office ko si Alice at inayos ang salamin niya. "Good morning, Madam! Looking good!" 

"Schedule for today." I took my shades off and sat on my swivel chair. 

I nodded as she went through my packed schedule. Someone would interview me for a magazine around lunchtime so wala na rin akong time mag-lunch. After that, meeting na with VGC, and after that meeting, another meeting with the executives. 

"Thank you," I dismissed her. 

I read some files on my desk before the interviewer went inside my office together with her team. I retouched my makeup while they were getting ready. They asked a lot of things about my success. I mentioned my school, my course, and my jobs. 

"Did you have time to play around or fall in love during your college days, or were you only focused on becoming the heiress of the company?" she suddenly asked. 

"Oh..." I couldn't answer properly. "I actually had a boyfriend." 

"Are you still together?" she asked, smiling. 

"No." I looked away. "Next question." 

Good thing she got the hint and completely steered away from the topic. I wasn't comfortable with that. Baka kung ano pa ang mahukay nila kapag nalaman nila ang tungkol doon. It was better to stay lowkey about it. 

"Miss Ledezma, meeting in ten minutes," Alice reminded me. 

"We're wrapping up," I told her. 

Mabuti na lang at natapos na rin agad ang interview kaya tumayo na 'ko at kinuha ang bag ko. Saktong two o'clock, umalis ako ng office at umakyat sa board room. Everyone stood up again to welcome my presence. 

Engineer Camero was already there, talking with another engineer. He was wearing a black dress shirt with three buttons opened and sleeves folded above his elbows. He looked more professional and mature, with his hair pushed back a bit. He was holding a pen, and a folder was in front of him. 

Architect Rosario stood up to present the final design again. 

"There, there," I pointed at the screen. "Is it possible to expand that area and make it a spa? Also, there shouldn't be any tent right here, so we can hold beach parties at night around that area. It should be located far away from the people so they wouldn't be bothered by the noise. It's already the best spot for parties. What do you think?"

"I will take note of that, Miss Ledezma. What do you think, Engineer?" she asked. 

"It makes sense," seryosong sabi ni Engineer Camero, nakatingin sa screen. "Let's go with that." 

I nodded. We discussed more of the changes in the project before I finally approved. They will start the construction in two weeks. They were just waiting for me. In the middle of our meeting, Alice distributed snacks. Ang sa akin lang ang naiiba. Naglapag siya ng fruit cup and pasta na nasa container for my lunch. 

"Madam, lunch mo po," she reminded me. 

"No, I'm good. I'm full." I gave her a small smile. "Let's have a break, everyone. Eat your snacks."

Umingay sa board room dahil casually nang nag-usap ang mga tao. Pinagpaplanuhan nila ang groundbreaking ceremony. Some stood up to go to the other side of the table, and some were still talking about the project in a less formal way. I remained in my seat, signing some papers. 

I stood up to get water on the other side of the room. I stopped when I saw Sevi get up to get water too. When he glanced at me, he stopped and gestured for me to go first. 

"Thanks," I awkwardly said.

He was standing so close to me that I could smell his expensive perfume. I bit my lower lip as I filled my disposable cup with water. 

"Madam, hindi ka po kakain ng lunch? Liligpitin ko na po ba?" Alice went to me. 

I glanced at Sevi, who was already looking at Alice with his brows furrowed a bit. 

"Yes, pakiligpit na lang," I told her, still getting water. "Anyway, Alice, can you ask the head of-"

"Shit!" Sevi suddenly held my hand and pulled it away. 

My eyes widened when I noticed that my cup was already full! Natapon na ang tubig sa sahig at nabasa pa ang sapatos niya. May mga napatingin na empleyado pero 'yong iba, abala pa rin sa pinag-uusapan.

"Madam! Papalinis ko na rin po 'yan!" Nagmamadaling umalis si Alice. 

"Sorry!" I looked at Sevi, who was already looking down at his wet shoes. I panicked and tried to get a box of tissue, but my heels suddenly slipped through the water. "Fuck!" 

"Ampucha," Sevi whispered, his arms around my waist. 

"I'm so sorry!" Tumayo kaagad ako at lumayo sa kaniya, nagkakalat na ng tubig sa sahig dahil sa heels ko at sa hawak kong baso. Natatapon na 'yong tubig. "Oh shit, the floor's already wet." 

"Hindi ba obvious?" Sevi whispered, looking away. 

Mabuti na lang, dumating agad si Alice kasama ang janitor. My gosh, I was embarrassing myself in front of the people! Good thing, kaunti lang ang nagkaroon ng pakialam sa nangyayari sa likod! I composed myself again and went back to my seat. 

Hindi na tuloy ako naka-focus sa meeting! Basta noong natapos, pumunta na 'ko sa susunod na meeting, sa mas malaking board room. The agenda wasn't that important. We just discussed some things and then I already went back to my office.

"My gosh! My gosh!" Pinaypayan ko ang sarili ko, walking back and forth. 

That was so embarrassing! Nakakainis naman! How could I mess up like that?! Damn, Eli! Pagkuha na lang ng tubig, palpak pa! Sevi's presence was really distracting. It was his fault! 

"Alice!" sigaw ko ulit.

"Madam!" She ran inside my office. "Do you need anything?" 

"My perfume from France," I reminded her. "I already talked to the owner. Wala pa bang stock? Can you check the site again?"

"I already checked it, Madam! On the way na po ang delivery." She gave me a smile. 

"Okay, good..." I calmed myself down. "I changed my mind about the limited-edition bag. It wasn't that pretty anyway." 

"Okay po, Madam." She nodded. "Anything else?" 

"Clear my schedule on the day of the groundbreaking ceremony," sambit ko habang pinapaypayan pa rin ang sarili gamit ang kamay. "I would probably feel tired on that day. Sobrang init. Also, start sending our invitations for our groundbreaking ceremony."

"Okay, Madam." 

I took my coat off and sat on my swiveling chair, swaying from side to side while staring in front. I was thinking of what to wear on that day. Maybe I should just wear something casual? Sleeveless dahil mainit? Then shades? 

That was really what I came up with on the day of the ceremony. I tied my hair in a bun and wore my shades. I convinced myself that I could drive to Batangas by myself since I have Waze naman, but damn, I still had a hard time finding the damn beach! 

"Is this it?" I asked myself when I saw some cars. 

I parked beside a silver Porsche Macan and went out, calling Alice. Mabuti na lang at tama ako! Sinundo niya 'ko at sinamahan sa venue ng event. They placed a large white tent on the sand and some balloons. I greeted and talked to some businessmen while waiting for the others. 

"I heard what happened to your dad. Good thing the company didn't go down with him, huh?" the old man said, laughing. 

"Yeah, they managed to pull it up." I smiled. "My dad actually deserved it, Salvador." 

"I see. You also hate your father. By the way, are you already married?" I scoffed at his question, shaking my head. "You don't have a boyfriend right now?" 

"No, I'm too busy to have a boyfriend." I glanced at Sevi when I saw him walking with Engineer Lavin. I got distracted for a bit. He was wearing a white short-sleeved polo and a pair of maong pants. May dala siyang hard hat at blueprint, pointing to an area. 

"Would you like to go out for dinner tonight?" Salvador smirked.

Napabalik ang tingin ko sa kaniya. I felt disgusted when I realized what he said. 

"What? No way." I rolled my eyes. "Would you excuse me, please?" 

I excused myself out of the conversation and started walking away from the tent. I went to Alice to ask about the catering and then I greeted more guests. Marami pang oras bago magsimula kaya naglakad muna ako papunta sa dagat at huminto sa buhanginan. I stared at the waves while memorizing my speech. 

The wind was calm, tinatangay ang buhok ko. Nakakakalma rin ang tunog ng alon. When I looked at my left side, nakita ko si Sevi na naglalakad din sa tabing-dagat, dala-dala pa rin ang hard hat. He was also talking to himself, probably memorizing his speech like me. I smiled as I watched him. His brows were furrowed a bit, medyo nasisilaw sa araw. Hinahangin din ang buhok niya pati ang polo niya. He looked so unreal. 

I sighed and looked away when Engineer Ramos called him. It was Bianca. I didn't know she would be here. Tumalikod na 'ko at naglakad na lang pabalik sa tent. I checked everything again before going back to my seat in front. 

I was quiet the whole ceremony. I went up to the stage to deliver my speech, thanking a lot of people for making the project happen and some boring stuff. When it was Sevi's turn, I was just looking at my nail polish with my legs crossed. 

"And we would also like to thank... Uh... Miss Amora Elyse Ledezma." I looked at him in an instant when I heard my name. 

He glanced at me for a second before looking away to continue his speech. Hindi ko na naintindihan ang iba pa niyang sinasabi. His deep voice was playing inside my head over and over. I think I was starting to go crazy. 

Everyone clapped, so I unconsciously clapped too. He smiled at everyone before going down the stage. After the ceremony, I took pictures with our partners. Alice handed me a hard hat and a shovel. 

I also took pictures with the engineers. I pursed my lips, not knowing where to position myself. Ang sabi nila, sa center daw ako pero si Sevi ay nasa center din so hindi ko alam saan ako pupunta! 

"Miss Ledezma, pwesto na po," the photographer said. "Sa tabi ni Engineer." 

I swallowed hard before nodding. Naglakad ako palapit kay Sevi at tumabi sa kaniya, dala-dala ang bwisit na shovel. I looked dumb and small beside him. He looked so professional, bagay na bagay ang hard hat habang ako, mukhang trying hard. 

"Baliktad," he whispered. 

Kumunot ang noo ko at lumingon sa kaniya. Was he talking to me? 

"Pardon?" I blinked. 

He sighed and almost rolled his eyes before getting the shovel I was holding. Inikot niya bago binalik sa 'kin. I looked down on it and realized that I was holding it upside down. Nang tumingin ako sa baba, nahulog ang maluwag kong hard hat. 

Sevi shook his head before picking up the hat and handing it to me again. I bit my lower lip before getting it from him. Other engineers were already looking at us dahil ang tagal namin umayos. Engineer Lavin was laughing on the side. 

"Ang tagal naman, nanginginig na labi ko kakangiti," reklamo ni Engineer Lavin while laughing.

"Miss Ledezma, Engineer Camero, ayos na po," the photographer said. 

I stood there, holding the shovel like a dumb person. It was so awkward. I was so stiff. Tiningnan ako ng photographer kaya inayos ko ang posture ko. I probably looked stupid. 

"Masyadong malayo kayong dalawa... po." The photographer looked irritated now when he pointed at us. 

"Sorry," Engineer Camero said before stepping closer to me. 

I smiled at the camera, ignoring Sevi's scent near me. Nang matapos, saka lang ako nakahinga nang maluwag. Tumalikod agad ako at naglakad paalis. Tinanggal ko ang hard hat ko at binalik ang shovel. It was so hot. 

"Hello, Tito," I greeted Anthony Guerrero, Austin's dad. 

"Hello, Elyse." He looked stern and strict. "Have you visited your father? He's on hospital arrest, right? I visited him last week. He's not getting any better." 

"I haven't seen him in a while." I pursed my lips. "And I am not planning to." 

It was my plan all along to take the company away from him, the same company that he created, the same company that he worked hard for. I planned to take it away from him and ruin him completely. He just made it easier by transferring his shares to me. He still trusted me, huh? Or was that his way of apologizing for what he did?

Well, he already lost me. Years ago. And he put our company at stake for what he did. Who would forgive him? 

I excused myself and went to the long table to get a plate. Kumakain na 'yong lahat kaya pumila na rin ako. Kaunti lang ang kinuha ko dahil sa diet ko. I picked the healthiest. A mixture of vegetables. 

I sat with some businessmen and women. I had to get everyone to like me, and it wasn't even that hard. I have known these people ever since I was a child. Tuwing may gathering, ako ang hinaharap ni Daddy. 

"You are so different from your dad, Elyse," the old woman said, smiling. 

I fucking hoped so. 

"Oh, isn't that right?" I smiled at her. "I got it from my mom." 

After eating, unti-unti nang nawawala ang mga tao. I stayed until the sky went dark para masiguro kong maayos na maililigpit ang mga ginamit. I thanked the people I hired for the event like the light and sound, catering, and event organizers. The engineers and architects were still discussing something. 

"Take care, Alice," I said when I saw her leaving. 

"Thank you, Madam! Ingat kayo, Madam!" She was so energetic. 

Kinuha ko ang gamit ko at naglakad na papunta sa parking. I opened the door of my car and went inside. Nilagay ko ang phone ko sa harapan ko at in-open si Waze. Then, I put my seatbelt on and drove away. 

It was so dark. May ginagawa pang daan sa gilid kaya medyo bumagal ako. I looked around, getting confused where to turn left. Hindi familiar ang daan galing sa beach! 

"Turn left," Waze said.

"Turn left where?!" I exclaimed. Sarado ang daan!

My lips parted when the screen suddenly went black. I stopped the car at the side of the road and tried to open my phone again. 

"Fuck," I whispered. 

Lowbat! Agad akong naghalungkat sa bag ko pero wala akong dalang powerbank. Wala rin ang cord ko! Naiwan ko sa office! 

"God..." I closed my eyes and massaged my head. "Okay, Elyse. You can do this. Get a grip." 

I looked around and noticed that there were no cars passing by. Naghintay pa 'ko, pero wala talaga kaya kinalma ko na lang ang sarili ko at dere-deretsong nag-drive.

"Where the fuck am I?" I started to get scared. Wala akong nakikitang tao! 

Umatras ulit ako at umiba ng daan. I was trying so hard to remember how I got to the beach. Sinubukan kong bumalik, hinuhulaan ang daan. 

"Oh my god, Mommy..." I started tearing up. 

I just stopped my car again on the side. Inuntog ko ang sarili ko sa manibela, naiinis. I started crying while hitting the steering wheel with my hand. It was so frustrating. Bumaba tuloy ako ng sasakyan at naghintay na lang ng dadaan. 

I started kicking small stones beside my car. 

"What the hell!" I shouted when I heard a beep. 

Napalingon ako sa sasakyang huminto sa harapan ko. It was the Porsche one. My lips parted when I saw Sevi through the window. He was holding the steering wheel with one hand. 

"Ano'ng ginagawa mo diyan?" He raised a brow. 

"I got lost!" amin ko kaagad. "My... My phone died. And I'm... I'm so bad at-"

"Directions." He sighed and looked away. 

"Yes..." I bit my lower lip and played with my hands, embarrassed. "Are you on your way to Manila?"

"Saan ba 'ko nakatira?" He raised a brow. 

"H-how would I know that?!" I panicked. "I did not stalk you, excuse me! I did not... hire someone din to search for your location! It's not like I am... I am still curious about you, 'no! You're not-"

"Tapos ka na ba?" He looked bored. "Alis na 'ko." 

When his car started to move, I panicked and ran in front to stop him. 

"Wait, wait!" I put my hands in front to stop his car. 

Napahinto siya at bumaba ng sasakyan. Padabog niyang sinara ang pinto at mukhang galit na naglakad palapit sa 'kin. 

"What the fuck?!" he exclaimed in disbelief. "Muntik na kitang masagasaan! Ano b'ang iniisip mo?!" 

"C-can you help me?!" I sounded so desperate. 

"Hindi naman talaga ako aalis." He still looked mad. "Ano ba 'to... Nabunggo ba kita?"

"What?" I blinked. "No... I'm fine." 

He sighed heavily and massaged his head in frustration. He put his tongue on the inside of his cheek before nodding. 

"Pumasok ka na sa sasakyan mo." He sighed. "Sumunod ka sa 'kin. Dalian mo." 

________________________________________________________________________________

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 462 47
[ epistolary #10: bangtwice ] recent tweet from star. "listening to love shot - people come & people ghost . . cHoUrr mali pala lyrics ko." - in whic...
73.7M 2.9M 53
UNIVERSITY SERIES #5. Ever since they were kids, Avianna Diaz from UST Architecture and Larkin Sanchez from UP Film were inseparable, not until Lark...
126M 4.1M 48
UNIVERSITY SERIES #4. Samantha Vera from Ateneo De Manila University, the epitome of kindness, empathy, grace, and solicitude got her life ruined whe...