Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
Into the Abyss:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Remire Village:

530 11 3
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

Byleth woke up to a loud bang on her door, she got up to open it and it was her Father. "We've got to go. Now" Jeralt said urgently

"Ok" Byleth replied

Jeralt let out a sigh "The situation in Remire Village has changed drastically, we don't know much more than that" he said "We're hearing reports that the villagers are killing each other, some say houses are burning. Regardless, we need to move" Jeralt added. Byleth nodded and went to gather her fellow classmates to follow Jeralt.

Once they got to Remire village they soon say that all of the reports had been true, there were villagers that seemed to be killing one another and the whole village was practically ablaze. "Kill! Kill! Ahhhh!" Byleth heard a villager say while slaughtering someone, while another villager laughed maniacally at the sight of it. She felt sick to her stomach at the sight of the chaos. There were screams of help coming from the remaining villagers.

Jeralt's eyebrows furrowed "What's going on her" he sighed.

"Ungh..." Dimitri grunted.

Byleth turned to him "Are you ok?" she asked.

"I... don't worry about me I'm fine" Dimitri replied "Don't waste your time on me, saving the villagers is far more important, We haven't a moment to lose!" he added.

"What can we do amidst such confusion?" Dedue asked.

"We'll have to take up arms against the villagers who are rampaging, if we strike up carefully, it should be possible to spare their lives" Felix replied.

"Oh dear... Isn't there a more peaceful way to deal with this?" Mercedes said.

"No matter how long it takes we'll need to check and rescue them all, one at a time" Ingrid replied.

"Those who have gone mad may be victims themselves, Is it possible to save them?" Ashe asked.

"We'll saving the poor people who aren't crazy is definitely our top priority! Let's get on with it!" Annette shouted.

"Slow down, Annette. It won't do anyone any good if we panic and get injured ourselves" Sylvain replied.

Dedue turned to something off in the distance "Isn't that..." he gasped "Your highness, suspicious figures spotted in the village. They seem to be... watching the chaos" Dedue reported.

"Are they the ones responsible for this madness? if so... it's clear what must be done" Dimitri said with a sinister tone. "Kill them all, Don't let a single one of them escape, severe their limbs and crush their wicked skulls!" He shouted. Byleth was not expecting that response, and it seemed that everyone else was just as surprised by this outburst.

The battle was gruesome, Byleth knew that in order to save the unaffected civilians she had to kill the ones who had gone mad but it didn't make it any easier. It turned out that one of the people who was watching the chaos from the back was none other than Thomas the librarian, when he revealed himself as Solon. He told them how the people of Remire village were just his test subjects and he wasn't picky with who they were. Midway through the battle the Death Knight showed up, however they managed to avoid an altercation with him and once Solon retreated the Death Knight followed.

Byleth saw her father looking at what remained of Remire Village, she approached him and he sighed "Looks like we somehow managed to sort things out, And casualties were... kept to a minimum" Jeralt said "They said they weren't picky about who they used as their test subjects" he added. "Because of them the people of Remire Village" Jeralt said with rage.

"There you are" A voice called out, Byleth looked to see that it was the Flame Emperor.

"That armor, so you're the Flame Emperor" Jeralt said.

"Yes, I believe you've met my subordinate the Death Knight" the Flame Emperor responded.

"Oh we've met alright but back to you, you're the one responsible for the destruction of this village" Jeralt furiously said.

"Do not get the wrong idea" the Flame Emperor said.

"What in Blazes does that mean?" Jeralt yelled.

"It is true that I am working with Solon, but that does not mean that our objectives are the same" the Flame Emperor replied "Had I known they planned to do this I would have stopped it, you have my word" the Flame Emperor added.

"Your words are meaningless, Now I'll have to insist that you accompany us back to the monastery" Jeralts said.

"I cannot abide that, however if you wish to join forces, I will now hear your plea" the Flame Emperor said.

"What?!" Jeralt said in shock.

"If left to their own devices, they will commit countless more violent acts like this one.Do you not wish to prevent that?" the Flame Emperor said "With the sword of the creator on our side Solon would not be a threat..." the Flame Emperor added.

"I must refuse," Byleth stated, holding back her rage.

"Pity, though not unexpected" the Flame Emperor said, then added "Pray that you do not live to regret your choice".

"Jeralt, Byleth, Have you seen his Highness?" Dedue asked in a panic.

"What's wrong kid?" Jeralt asked, turning towards Dedue, while the Flame Emperor made an escape. Jeralt turned back towards where the Flame Emperor had been "He's gone..." he mumbled. Jeralt let out a frustrated sigh then turned to Byleth "Hey, I've been meaning to talk to you, Since coming to the monastery... you've changed" he stated.

Byleth was a little taken aback by that "How so?" she asked.

"You've been angry since we first arrived to Remire Village" Jeralt began "And you look so happy when you're among the brats" he added "Before the monastery, I've never seen you bear your emotions like that. Not once" he said.

"You might be right," Byleth said with an exaggerated sigh.

"Then perhaps it's a good thing we came to the monastery, if only so I could see your face lit up like that" Jeralt said "Or maybe there was never any reason for us to leave the monastery in the first place..." he sighed.

"A reason to leave?" Byleth asked.

"Ah... I've put my foot in my mouth, haven't I? Though I suppose it may be nearly that time..." Jeralt sighed "Come to my office when you next have a moment to spare, There is something I need to tell you" he said. Jeralt then left to go and gather the rest of the Blue Lions to begin the trip back to the monastery.

"Just what was that about? I can't recall a time of old when you were at the monastery..." Sothis said "I wonder what is hiding in the mist that is your past..." she said softly.

Byleth sighed and made her way to prepare for the trip back to Garreg Mach.

Once at Garreg Mach Byleth began to make her way to report what had happened to Byleth, she hated how the responsibility of it seemed to fall to her every time, and she couldn't pass it onto Dimitri this time since he seemed odd at Remire Village. Byleth let out a sigh of frustration "I wonder why he acted like that" Byleth thought to herself.

"Byleth" A voice called out from behind, Byleth turned to see Dimitri approaching her.

"Perfect timing" Byleth thought to herself.

"Byleth... I... I'm sorry you saw that side of me in the village, It must have been quite a shock to you... and the others, I'm mortified by my own behavior" Dimitri said "When I saw the chaos and violence there my mind just went completely dark" he shuddered.

"I felt the same" Byleth replied softly, she tried to comfort him by taking his hand but Dimitri flinched at her touch and pulled away.

"I see... so that happens to you as well, then" Dimitri said sadly "I've told you before that someday we may find ourselves facing something we simply cannot accept" he added "That is what the chaos in Remire Village was to me" he mumbled "Solon and the Flame Emperor are both beasts who must be eliminated, Demons who kill the innocent, They aren't even human at this point" Dimitri said in a harsh tone, Byleth found herself flinching while he said it.

"Where is this anger coming from?" Byleth softly asked Dimitri.

"It must be hard to fathom, It's true that I don't have any strong connections to those villagers, and yet..." Dimitri began "You see, Byleth... I saw the same flames of torment just four years ago... in Duscar" he said.

Dimitri began to recount to Byleth what he had seen on that fateful, day the fire that engulfed the areas around him, Dimitri choking for breath surrounded by the corpses of those who he loved, his Father calling to him to avenge them as he was decapitated before Dimitri's eyes.

"Ugh... Gah..." Dimitri groaned "My Father... my Stepmother... four years ago they lost their lives to those flames" Dimitri said " I'll never forget... I still remember their faces, their screams, the tortured last moments of every person who died that day..." he said in anguish, he let out a small sigh "But right now... all that matters is we do whatever we can to help the surviving villagers get back to their normal lives" he said "Thank you, for everything" Dimitri said softly, and did a bow with it, he turned away to begin to leave but stopped "There's a reason that I came to the officers academy, Just one reason" Dimitri said with his voice taking a deeper tone "I came here for revenge, and one day I will have it" he said sternly then continued on and left.

"My, my It seems the prince has more going on than we initially thought" Sothis murmured. Byleth ignored her comment and carried on reporting to Lady Rhea.

"You did well handling that awful business in Remire Village" Lady Rhea began "I am certain the goddess shares in our grief at the senselessness of that calamity" she added "More importantly I was shocked to hear that our own Thomas was actually a dark mage" she sighed "I must reflect on our blindness" Lady Rhea said.

"You surely must! you failed to notice that a rat was hiding in your home, Pathetic!" Sothis said "Who are these wicked foes? How did Thomas escape your gaze?" she added.

Byleth also wondered about that "Who are these villains?" she asked. Seteth began to explain how Thomas came from the Ordelia territory in the Alliance, and Jeritza became a professor due to recommendation by imperial nobility, he concluded that the enemy had taken root in at least two territories.

Rhea sighed "In the long history of the Church of Seiros... No long before even that..." she began "There have been an endless number of threats to the peace of Fodlan" she said "Yet those who oppose us still operate in the shadows, their identities a mystery" she said " I believe that Solon and the Death Knight are one part of a larger whole" she added.

"A threat to Fodlan's peace? That means we have no choice, we have to stop them all!" Sothis said.

"They must be stopped" Byleth responded to Rhea.

Lady Rhea smiled at her response "I have truly come to rely on you, I believe that the monastery will remain safe so long as we have you" she said " We do not yet know the enemy's objective or whereabouts , For now, please devote yourself for whatever comes next" she added.

"That is all for today," Seteth said, and walked away.

Byleth began to leave as well "Byleth, please wait" Lady Rhea said, so Byleth turned back towards her "I know there is much that you still do not understand, However one thing is clear you posses great power" she added "I believe that you are destined to be a great source of hope for all" she said. "In any case I expect great things from you, walk this world proudly, dear Byleth" Rhea said "May the Goddess Sothis protect you" she added with a bow.

"The Goddess Sothis?! Is that what she just said?" Sothis said in shock.

"Is something the matter?" Rhea asked after seeing Byleth's eyes widen in shock.

"It's nothing," Byleth responded.

"I see in that case, farewell" Rhea said.

"Do not say something that we may regret! She... I... What exactly am I?" Sothis said "For now let's leave this place please... go!" she commanded, Byleth complied and left.

Byleth made her way to the dining hall, there was a lot on her mind. Was it possible that the Sothis that had been within her head is the Sothis that Lady Rhea had been talking about? "No that's absurd" she told herself, there was just no way that it could be possible.

Byleth entered the dining hall, she saw Edelgard and Hubert talking so she decided to approach them. Byleth wasn't able to hear what the discussion was about but assumed that it was wanting to be kept private when she heard Hubert hiss "Someone is coming"

"Byleth, I heard about your class's mission" Edelgard began "Something terrible happened in Remire Village. That's where you were when fate sent you our way, this feels... preordained" she added.

"Are the knights making progress with their investigation on the culprits?" Hubert asked.

"They are," Byleth responded.

"If what happened there was by design then, there must be someone pulling the strings" Hubert said "There is the Death Knight of course and the mysterious mages who were implicated by the Western Church" he added "They showed up when Flayn was kidnapped as well, and then this strange occurrence near the monastery" he said "It seems an unknown organization hopes to make the monastery it's stage for something" Hubert concluded.

"Do you believe that all of these incidents are connected, Byleth?" Edelgard asked.

"I do not" Byleth replied, despite what Dimitri had told her, she didn't share his beliefs.

"Oh? I'm surprised to hear you say that, but actually, I agree" Edelgard stated "It certainly appears that all of the events connecting the monastery are connected by a single thread, however..." she began, "I think it's possible that it may just be a result of different motives overlapping" she added "Remember, Byleth..." she said "If you think of people as simply enemies or allies, it may be impossible to grasp the truth" Edelgard sighed. Edelgard seemed as if she were about to bid Byleth goodbye but something stopped her. "Byleth would you like to accompany me for tea?" Edelgard asked

Byleth was a little surprised by the sudden invitation "I would be honored" she replied.

"Excellent" Edelgard said happily, she then turned to Hubert "Hubert I will meet you in the reception hall later in the evening" she said with a warning tone, probably so he wouldn't feel inclined to spy on her.

"Yes, your Highness" Hubert said with a bow, then he left the dining hall.

Byleth and Edelgard got the supplies they needed from the dining hall then went to the garden area nearby the Knight's training hall to host their tea party. As they made their way to their destination they were stopped by Claude "My, my are the two of you having a meeting? without me?" Claude said with an exaggerated sigh. I expected this from you Edelgard" Claude began "But not you Byleth" he added.

"Tch, I suppose you can join us" Edelgard said "But you'll have to retrieve your own tea cups from the dining hall" she added.

"I would be delighted to attend," Claude said with a wink. "I think I'll let Dimitri in on this meeting as well" Claude added before taking off to find him.

Edelgard let out a sigh "I should have known Claude would use this as an opportunity for all of us to bond" Edelgard said with a laugh then shook her head, "Come now Byleth let's get set up" she said while beckoning Byleth to a nearby table.

Once they were finished setting up Edelgard and Byleth took the two seats opposite to one another. "I heard the so- called Flame Emperor appeared in Remire village while your class was there," Edelgard said.

Byleth let out a slight sigh "He said he wasn't involved in this incident" she responded.

"And do you believe him, Byleth?" Edelgard asked.

"I believe him," Byleth responded.

"Oh? but how can you trust someone without even knowing who they are?" Edelgard said surprised "Even if his words are true, his objectives are still unclear" she added "But if the Flame Emperor should someday reveal his true intentions..." she began "Maybe then he will appear before you without his mask, and you can look in his eyes and decide what you believe" she concluded.

"I agree, there is no way to tell what motivates a person until you meet them" Byleth sighed "For now all there is to do is wait on the day that the Flame Emperor decides to do that" she added.

"Ah- it seems our company has arrived," Edelgard said, changing the subject.

Byleth turned and saw Claude followed by Dimitri "Sorry for taking so long" Claude said "Dimitri proved to be harder to find than I thought he would be" he said with an exaggerated sigh.

Dimitri made an apologetic face "Ah- sorry" he said.

Edelgard gestured towards the other two empty seats at the table and Claude and Dimitri quickly sat down. There was an awkward silence that fell over the table, after a while Claude finally broke the silence "So" he said "I heard that next month there is going to be a ball" Claude said.

"A ball?" Edelgard said as her eyes lit up

"Yup" Claude responded "Also there is supposed to be a dance competition between the three houses" he said "Hmm... I think it was called the White Heron Cup?" Claude said unsure "Anyways we're in for a treat" he said with a laugh.

"In any case I hope that you guys are prepared to lose, since the Black Eagles will be taking this victory" Edelgard proclaimed.

"Like the victory with the Battle of the Eagle and Lion?" Byleth responded.

"That was merely a fluke" Edelgard responded "Besides I have no doubt the professor will choose me to be the representative" Edelgard stated "And I happen to be quite skilled in dance" she added.

"You mean those stuffy noble dances?" Claude said, and Dimitri let out a chuckle which resulted in Edelgard glaring at them. "Besides I've got a plan" Claude said "And her name is Hilda Goneril" he added. "With her as our dancer we'll be unstoppable" he concluded.

Dimitri turned to Byleth "Perhaps you ought to participate and bring us victory" he said.

"Bad idea Dimitri" Byleth sighed "Unfortunately I don't dance" she concluded.

"Well I can teach you," Dimitri suggested.

"Hmm didn't take you for some one who dances" Edelgard laughed.

"Hmph, well I'll have you know I was taught as a child" Dimitri said uncomfortably.

"Anyhow" Edelgard began "Let's see what you're capable of Byleth" she added, while rising from her seat and walking over to Byleth. Byleth stood up and followed her to the clearing, Edelgard grabbed one of her hands and placed her other hand on Byleth's waist to guide her, Byleth put her free hand on Edelgard's shoulder and began to follow her lead.

"Man Dimitri it seems like your competition grows more and more each day" Claude said with a laugh, and Dimitri just ignored his remark.

"Hmm I have to admit you're doing much better than I was anticipating" Edelgard said to Byleth.

"I merely said I don't dance, not that I couldn't," Byleth responded.

Edelgard let out a laugh "I suppose you're right" she said, They began to finish their dance and did the ending curtsy to one another before returning to Claude and Dimitri.

"My, my If you are both going to be representatives I may just have to start pushing Hilda more with dancing" Claude said with a wink.

"Excellent job, to the both of you" Dimitri said with a smile. The four of them sat at the table for a while just chatting about the ball.

"So Byleth" Claude began switching the subject of the conversation "I heard a rumor that you got caught sneaking out to Zanado Canyon" he said.

"Ah- that would be true" Byleth mumbled, Edelgard tensed up a bit.

"Why sneak off to Zanado Canyon?" Edelgard asked.

"I was curious about it," Byleth responded.

Claude looked up with eyes wide with curiosity "So did you find anything interesting?" he asked.

Byleth shook her head "Nope, it was a bust" she sighed

Edelgard raised her eyebrows ''Was there something in particular you were searching for?" Edelgard asked but didn't give Byleth a chance to respond "You know there's an old legend... I've heard about Zanado Canyon" Edelgard said hesitantly "There it is said to have been home to a monster" she said "A monster that is believed to be controlling Fodlan in secret for a long time" Edelgard said.

Claude seemed to hesitate for a moment but then he spoke up "You know about the immaculate one?" he asked.

Edelgard shifted uncomfortably "I wouldn't say that so loud, especially not here in Garreg Mach" she hissed. "Either way there isn't much I know about it either" Edelgard sighed "Honestly I'm a little shocked that the three of you know about it" she added.

"The feeling is mutual" Claude murmured.

"Perhaps we should end our tea party here" Edelgard said while rising to her feet "I told Hubert I'd meet him, farewell" she said as she turned around and left.

"Ok the imperial princess definitely knows more than she is telling" Claude said once he believed Edelgard was out of earshot.

"I agree" Byleth said "But what could it be?" she murmured.

"Edelgard did mention not to discuss it here in Garreg Mach" Dimitri said "It's possible that the church might be covering up something" he suggested.

Claude let out a chuckle "Oh how Blasphemous the future King of Fearghus sounds right now" Claude joked.

"My apologies," Dimitri said.

"Don't apologize I didn't take offense and surly Byleth didn't either, it's more refreshing hearing tones that will criticize the church rather than mindlessly follow them" Claude said, Dimitri didn't say anything to that, Claude turned to Byleth "So really, you didn't find any evidence of it there?" he asked

Byleth shook her head "Nope, there wasn't anything as far as I could tell" she said.

"Hmm perhaps we need to visit it again" Claude suggested.

"Claude" Dimitri said sternly "Don't you dare, you too Byleth" he said "She almost died, if we hadn't shown up when we did she most definitely would have" he said in a harsh tone.

"I can decide for myself what I can and can't do, Dimitri" Byleth said "I'm not a child who needs to be coddled" she added. Claude was silent and Dimitri looked shocked, Byleth took this as her opportunity to leave from that area.

Byleth headed for her Dad's office, now was as good a time as ever to finally learn what secrets he had been keeping from her. "You're trying to distract yourself" Sothis said "Did the Prince's words and tone really bother you that much?" Sothis asked.

"It's not the word itself but the intent behind it" Byleth responded to Sothis "I am not a pet of his to spew commands at" she added.

"Hmm... I see your point but I don't think that's how the Prince meant for it to be" Sothis said "I think he did it out of good intent but said it a bit harshly.

Byleth sighed "Maybe you're right" she said to Sothis.

When Byleth got to her Father's office she saw that he was packing his supplies, "Are you going somewhere?" she asked as she entered his office.

"Crap kid" Jeralt said "You know there is such a thing as knocking" he added with a laugh "To answer your question, yes" he sighed "I know I promised we'd talk but Rhea just assigned me another mission to go on" he added. Byleth made a face, "Don't worry we'll talk as soon as I get back, and guess what else?" Jeralts said.

"What?" Byleth asked.

"I'll be accompanying your class on their next mission, I think Rhea said it would be checking out a chapel" Jeralt said, he finished packing his belongings "Well kid" Jeralt began "It's time I head out" he sighed "I'll see you when I get back" he said as he tousled Byleth's hair "You can stay in here for a while longer if you want, kid just be sure to close it after you" Jeralt said before leaving.

Byleth heard her Father in the hallway talking to someone "Good evening Dimitri" he said "Oh yeah she's in my office right now" he said, "Go ahead and head on in" Jeralt said before telling him goodbye.

Byleth knew Dimitri was coming in, sure she could have been a normal person and accepted her fate but nah. Byleth threw herself on the ground behind her Father's desk which resulted in a loud thump that gave her hiding spot away.

"Byleth?" Dimitri said as he approached her on the ground "Are you alright?" he asked while stifling his laughter, he grabbed her hand to help her up.

Once on her feet Byleth dusted her clothes off "I'm glad you find this amusing" Byleth sighed, she felt Dimitri pull her closer to him. "I'm sorry about earlier," she said softly.

"It's alright" Dimitri whispered in her ear, they stood there in each others embrace for a few minutes before Dimitri pulled away, he then proceeded to cup her face with his hands and give her a chaste kiss on the forehead. "Let's go, it's getting late" Dimitri said offering his hand to hers."I'll escort you to your room" Dimitri said, and Byleth grabbed his hand, and the two of them left her Father's office, door closed and all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 30 5
The Fall of Garrag Moch Monastery, Year 1180 had been a disaster and full of the unexpected. But lets follow a different flow in the time stream. In...
16.4K 440 26
Presea is a mythical being known as a Pterolykos, a winged wolf. She has been the best friend of Claude von Riegan since they met when they were smal...
39.8K 1.6K 110
Imperial year 1159 a nun of Garreg Mach monastery dies mysteriously during child birth leaving behind her beloved daughter Byleth. In a turn of event...
2.2K 35 5
In order to escape, Byleth made a deal with the Goddess Sothis. As a result, Jeralt was avenged but at what price did she pay? Before Dimitri's eyes...