Lifeline

By ndallejoy

She clung to people. He ran from people. She was broken. He thought he could mend her. She lost a baby. ... More

Chapter 1; Stalker Ex
Chapter 2; It's Not a Date.
Chapter 3; Emily.
Chapter 4; My Hope.
Chapter 5; Thank you.
Chapter 6; Good night.
Chapter 7; Coffee Thingy.
Chapter 8; Friends.
Author's Note
Chapter 9; Meet the Chef.
Chapter 10; Meet Emily.
Chapter 11; It's Official.
Chapter 12; Dad!
Chapter 13; Idina Menzel.
Chapter 14; Loss.
Chapter 15; Lie.
Chapter 16; Daddy?
Chapter 17; Pure Bliss.
Chapter 18; Love at First Sight.
Chapter 19; Not Exactly.
Chapter 21; Secrets.
Chapter 22; Christmas Wishes.
Chapter 23; Time.
Chapter 24; Gone.
Chapter 25; Pain.
Chapter 26; Lifeline.
Chapter 27; Breakdown.
Chapter 28; Thanksgiving.
Chapter 29; Forgive me yet?
Chapter 30; I have a Girlfriend.
Chapter 31; Christmas Eve.
Chapter 32; For real this time...
Chapter 33; Afternoon After.
Chapter 34; New Year in LA.
Chapter 35; The Police.
Chapter 36; The Therapist (Part 1)
Chapter 37; Olivia.
Chapter 38; Emily's Birthday.
Chapter 39; Meet the CEO.
Chapter 40; The Fiancée, Engaged?
Chapter 41; The Therapist(Part 2); Find your Parents.
Chapter 42; The Russells.
Chapter 43; Los Angeles.
Chapter 44; Warren King.
Chapter 45; Ethan's POV.
Chapter 46; Not Goodbye.
Chapter 47; I'm sorry.
Chapter 48; Baby.
Chapter 49; Marry me Again.
Chapter 50; Deal.
Chapter 51; Epilogue.
Author's Note...😭

Chapter 20; Diamonds, Bills and Parents.

3.5K 215 17
By ndallejoy

Dedicated to ZiniaB13.
"Where's the fun in life without diamonds??" Preach!!

One week.

One fudging week.

That's all what was left for Emily's heart transplant.

And yes, I totally forgot to mention, I. Am. Freaking. Out.

As I walk towards the hospital building with Emily in tow, it doesn't escape me how they already had the Halloween decorations up.

Emily didn't seem too keen about the idea of this particular holiday either.

Growing up with a weak heart, having a day dedicated to scaring the daylights out of you and possibly giving you a heart attack, didn't help much.

I walked straight past reception and into the elevator with a travelling bag in one hand and Emily holding the other.

We made our to the floor of Kenna's office and walked towards her assistant who let us know she'd been expecting us.

"There's my favorite baby," Kenna beamed as I opened the door and let Emily walk through at the same time placing the bag at the side.

Emily rushed behind Kenna's desk and lifted her arms up as an indication for Kenna to set her on her lap.

"Hi, aunt Kenna." You didn't need to be the smartest person alive to know my baby wasn't particularly excited about being here.

"Come on sweetheart, cheer up for me would you? After all, I am your favorite aunt who though her life is potentially endangered by chocolate, still managed to get you some Snickers." She squealed in a comic way causing Emily to jump in excitement and attack the piece of chocolate from Kenna's hand.

I wouldn't blame her cave man actions though, she hadn't seen any form of dessert in the past four months. Well, except for the occasional times Ethan gave her ice cream. Let's keep that to ourselves for now.

"It seems I'm in the background when both of you are concerned," I pouted.

"Oh shush right there." We both laughed. "I'm glad you're on schedule, her room is ready as well as her private nurse." She informed.

Apparently, Emily has to be admitted a week before the surgery for close monitoring and administration of some medicines to make sure she is ready before, during and after the operation.

"That's good. I'll just head down to make the initial deposit then." I told her and we both frowned.

As well off as I thought I was, a heart transplant was quite expensive.

Emily's total came up to $1.4 million. Her initial deposit came to a close sixty two thousand dollars which had me knocking on every insurance company's door I could lay hands on.

It was just my luck that my insurance company's health policy only covered minor surgeries and cases. Fudging lucky.

So yeah, I was left to find the money on my own. I'd been tempted several times to cash some out of Emily's college funds and even Ethan had noticed how edgy I had become when spending money.

I was grasping at what I could get.

I currently had the initial deposit with me, which included contributions from my parents and Kenna alongside some other staff members who knew me personally. Let's not forget the emptying of all my accounts. The only thing left were Emily's school funds.

Strangely, Dan had offered to help but Liv had stated they were running short of money and needed to start saving for their future family. Of course, I understood her point, I just couldn't help feel uneasy about it.

Then there was Ethan, who told me not to stress over it because he would take care of things. How he planned to, I had no idea.

There were also donations from the church given to me by Pastor Louis. I was shocked and reduced to tears. I hadn't even told them about it.

"You go make that deposit and I'll help Em settle in nicely. She is a VIP patient you know." Kenna winked at Emily still seated in her lap behind her desk.

I scoffed, "with how money is hard, I won't be able to afford the VIP room. And I'm not accepting that nonsense excuse they fed me with again."

Kendra looked up at me bearing the same suspicions I had.

"True, but the director specifically ordered Emily be given the VIP treatment. I can't do anything." She sighed.

"I'll go talk to him after I make the deposit." I then called out to Emily effectively stealing her attention from the chocolate bar in her hands.

"I'll see you soon okay baby, I have to sort out a few things while aunt Kenna stays with you."

She simply nodded and went back to her chocolate causing both Kenna and I to chuckle.

***

"I'm sorry, please check again."

The lady behind the counter looking extremely enthusiastic about helping me- note the sarcasm- sighed for what I think was the hundredth time.

"Ma'am for the last time, all your bills have been paid. And I have checked five times."

"Are you sure it's for Emily Wilson? A heart transplant?" I insisted, earning another sigh.

"Yes. Emily Cara Wilson. Heart transplant. $1.4 million... All paid." She read out robotically while scrolling through her computer completely disinterested.

"How?" I had passed the state of shock by now. I was bewildered. "Who?"

"Miracles do happen. Yay for you..." She raised both arms in a pathetic attempt to cheer.

"Can you please tell me the details of when such a transaction was made?" I inquired again.

"The money was sent in this morning at exactly," she paused looking slightly interested for the first time in all fifteen minutes I had spent here. "This is odd, the money was paid in at five am on the dot. Not even a second later. And it's anonymous." Her eyes had a kind of awe in them.

Finally, a clue! I smiled like a moron at finally having an idea of who it was and internally fuming inside that they did so without my permission.

***
Meet me at the parking lot. I have something to show you.

I stared at my phone for the millionth time as I stepped out of the elevator to the ground floor and internally cursed at the culprit who sent me such a text not even seconds after I'd dashed away from the cashier who I'm sure must think I'm crazy.

I took my time to reach the parking lot. Reason being that I was trying to avoid committing murder.

Another reason being I foolishly wore platform heeled sandals and a yellow midi dress underneath a flimsy sweater.

A very foolish decision if you ask me, because it's almost the end of October and I'm practically freezing my ass out.

I was hugging both arms around myself to try and conserve some heat.

I eventually made it to the parking lot and immediately took note of the Bentley my culprit was in.

How much was his salary??

I hastily opened the passenger door and slipped in gladly welcoming the heat.

"I really have no problem with your choice of clothing love, but it's freezing outside." The culprit said.

I glared at him. Hard.

He raised both hands in surrender.

"What did I do now?" He asked.

"Just drive." I simply stated.

"Yes ma'am. Hopefully you'll ease up when you see what I have for you."

"Yay..." I muttered with the least bit of interest.

"Aren't we excited?" He mocked, consequently receiving another glare before he turned on the ignition.

***
"THIS IS YOUR HOUSE????" I screamed.

"Last time I checked, it was." He was amused at my antics obviously. Those grey eyes of his had turned silver.

"No shit Sherlock!" My eyes scanned the space we were in. Nope, penthouse is the best word to describe where he lived.

Why didn't I become an HR manager?? My subconscious asked.

I didn't know it paid this much at the time, I thought.

I took my time to glance over the decor. The colours which stood out were Black, gold and little hints of white here and there.

The chandelier hung beautifully in a way you couldn't see when entering but it blew your sight away once you made it in.

The sun light was pouring in so beautifully it was almost ethereal.

He had a love seat and two couches in his living room all white placed on a black rug with gold at it's rims. The flat screen TV was placed just a few metres from the floor to ceiling windows which cast an amazing view of New York.

Gosh! His living room was thrice mine and that's saying a lot. I created the space so Emily could feel free and not claustrophobic or anything like that.

"I have something to show you, come."

I followed him up the flight of stairs, its railing seemed to be dubbed in what I'm assuming is fake gold.

Keep telling yourself that!.

He stopped walking at a door which was outstanding from all the others I'd managed to see.

It was painted in bright pink and had a huge E on it in glitter.

He seemed slightly nervous before opening the door and gesturing for me to step in first.

Oh. My. God. My jaw just dropped in a literal sense.

My heart beat had increased to a pace I didn't think was normal.

My eyes stung with tears and my throat was clogged.

"I would love for you and Emily to spend the Christmas holiday with me. Just us. As a family." He whispered.

I turned to face him finding it difficult to tear my sight away from the room because it looked like a princess fairytale.

I could already imagine how Emily would totally love this. Everything, I mean everything was done to perfection. Her princess styled bed, Frozen 2 sheets, her dresser, her reading table, a walk in closet, a tea table with it's chairs and tea set. He even managed a pink bathtub.

Christ! This guy sure knew how to steal hearts.

"I was thinking this could be Emily's room, and I also got something for you. A little bribe..." He scratched his neck and ran his hands through his hair before putting his hands into his back pocket and bringing to light a little velvet box.

I swear you could hear my heart beat all the way down to the last floor, and we were on the 70th floor!

He opened the box to reveal a beautiful diamond bracelet fit for a queen. It had intricate designs of vines dubbed in silver with diamonds scattered across.

It was beautiful.

"Say something..." He urged.

And then, I remembered why I was angry at him before.

"You paid Emily's bills." I stated.

He seemed stunned as he took in my words, but nonetheless, the guilt in his eyes and his nervous chuckle confirmed my suspicions.

"That is an outrageous amount of money to spend on someone who-"

"Who I love and will stop at nothing to make happy." He finished though not in the words I would have used.

He smiled,"how'd you figure it out? I was discreet."

"There's only one person I know who is such a perfectionist, he sends in money at exactly 5am. Not even a second more or less."

He laughed. I couldn't help but laugh too at his silly mistake.

"I'm sorry I did so without your knowledge, but I did say I'll take care of it." He said once we sobered up.

"Yeah, I didn't know dropping $1.4 million was your way to take care of it. That is so much money." I whispered the last part. It still seemed surreal.

"I don't even want to think where you got the money from," I continued.

"Sshh... No thinking for now okay. Just say thank you."

"Thank you." And I meant it. I engulfed him in a hug holding him tight I was scared if I let go, he'll disappear. But he didn't.

He pulled away and wore the bracelet on my right hand. It was truly beautiful.

"It's beautiful. Thank you." He nodded.

After a while, I silently chuckled remembering another thing.

"Diamonds and bills aside, we should probably get ready to pick my parents from the airport." And he tensed.

Please please please vote. And comment so I can know what you're thinking.

This Chapter is dedicated to ZiniaB13 for all her love. Thank you again.

Love Joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

571K 18.2K 54
Sequel to Mr Reigns The room echoed despite the fact that it was filled with furniture and papers spread everywhere. The doctor who was sitting in fr...
860K 29.7K 37
What happens when your feelings and thoughts don't agree? You feel like there's a battle happening inside you. Your heart tells you what you really w...
325K 12.2K 31
WARNING!!! I wrote this when I was a kid. The tropes and stuffs are no longer relevant 😀 BUT feel free to leave hate comments 😌🤙 They make me feel...
1.8M 45.3K 128
She was his motivation. Madison Connor, the only woman he had ever loved, the woman he had hurt, the woman he had left. Billionaire Damien Daniels ha...