Violent Heart

By AKeenReader

“Get me out of here,” she whispered hoarsely, they stared back at her silently. The loathsome Petey grinned a... More

Violent Heart
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Prologue

698 42 34
By AKeenReader

     “How long do you think it’s been since we’ve last seen Douglas?” Diane looked to her husband, watching him as he pondered silently. Presently, they were settled in a coach-and-four heading to said sorcerer’s residence.

        “Hmm… Well I’d say about two years.”

        “Oh yes, ‘twas the day of our wedding… my how time flies… To be honest, I thought we’d leave Lochton before we even had the chance to visit Douglas… Oh, how I’ve missed him.” Diane sighed happily; her cousin was so dear to her. They spent much of their time in each other’s company back in Erigate. Alas, Douglas grew more and more engrossed in his studies, and soon desired to continue his research elsewhere. He up and left to Orkeep, taking residence in a farm not too far off from the burnt forest; the object of his desire.

        Diane made sure to visit the sorcerer a few times a year, to check on his wellbeing. He would often forget himself, neglecting the numerous letters she’d send. That was before she married and moved to the capital. Unfortunately, Swynford was a demanding city, and as a wife of the advisor to the king, she was kept quite busy. Leaving her no time to visit family.

        Currently they resided in Lochton, a city not too far from Orkeep, where Edmund had business with Lord Morys Goldwell. Giving Diane a perfect opportunity to pay a visit.

        Edmund smiled affectionately. “I requested for a day off to see your cousin; evidently, Morys was happy to obli-” They both lurched forward as the carriage came to a sudden halt.

        “What on earth?” Diane looked to her husband bewildered.

        Edmund held up a finger. “Do you feel that?”

        Diane searched her surroundings, she sensed the driver’s pain; he was clearly stabbed. But there was something else…Diane concentrated. She felt the faint presence of a number of men, albeit something was shielding them from her.

        “Yes, they’re hidden in the trees somewhere to our left; however, I can’t make out much. Powerful magic is concealing them.”

        “I’ll have a look.”

        “I’ll go with you”

        “Diane, it’s dangerous… think of the child.” She unconsciously put a hand on her belly. Instinct told her to stay, but years of training urged her forward. Diane looked to Edmund in conflict. She knew not to take him lightly; he was one of the most powerful wizards of the kingdom.

        Sighing in resignation, Diane nodded. “You’re right, I’ll stay. But do be careful dear.”

        Edmund slowly opened the carriage door, silently disembarking. Meanwhile, Diane readied herself; he would surely welcome a little help from behind. Abruptly pushing at the barrier, she hoped to penetrate the unknown force. Evidently, the culprits had weaved their powers together, creating a seemingly impenetrable barrier. They came prepared, obviously familiar with Diane’s area of expertise. She cleared her mind focusing on pulling at the strands that bonded their magic together. The arduous process took quite a while, leaving Diane absolutely drained.

        “There” Diane puffed. They were exposed now, prey to Edmund’s wrath.

        He appeared at the door, not long after, seemingly unperturbed. “I appreciate your help darling.” Diane exhaled in relief. She stepped out into the afternoon light, welcoming the chirps emanating from the surrounding forest. Diane clutched her medical bag, dreading what awaited her.

        The coachman lay splayed over his seat, gripping his side. Sweat dotted his face, as he panted in pain. Diane could smell the poison on the dagger imbedded in his flesh; a fatal wound. Her heart ached as she remembered his cheery smile that morning.

        “Here Edmund help me.” They gently lifted the man, making their way to the side of the road, before lowering him against a tree.

        “Thank you m’lady,” he rasped.

Diane quickly searched her bag, before uncorking a vial, and putting it to his lips. “Drink this, it will ease the pain.” She helped him gulp down the sedative.

        “Please…my wife and son…they have none else.”

        “Rest assured Oliver, they’re in safe hands” said Edmund as he sat beside him. Diane took one of Oliver’s hands, and began to hum a sweet melody. He closed his eyes, smiling as she raised her voice in song. The tune calmed him, bringing happy memories to mind. The couple remained at Oliver’s side, comforting him until his very last breath.

        “Rest in peace Oliver.” Edmund brought his hand forth, closing the dead man’s eyes.

        Rising up, Diane made her way to the carriage, where she located a blanket. Together, they covered up Oliver’s body, before carrying him back to lay him inside. Diane stared at the lifeless body hidden in the cloth. ‘How many more would die for her sake?’

        Warm hands grasped Diane’s shoulders “We must hurry Diane, else his death will all be for naught. There might be more of the scoundrels,” urged Edmund.

        Wordlessly, she followed him to the front, squeezing herself beside him on the elevated box seat. Edmund sighed before turning to his spouse. “I would much prefer it, if you went inside.”

        “That poor, poor man… and his family… I cant bare to be held up in that enclosed space… not where his corpse lays,” Diane whispered. “That dagger was meant for me, and you know it Edmund.” It definitely wasn’t the first time they’ve seen the weapon…

        Upon announcing her pregnancy, four months prior, Diane had received many a gift. One of which came from an anonymous source, consisting of a peculiar looking dagger wrapped in the finest of silks. Strange symbols were vertically engraved in its steel, leading to a brown leather grip. An exact replica of the blade that slew Oliver; It hadn’t been a gift… it was a promise.

        “You know as well as I that it isn’t your fault.” Asserted Edmund, before he urged the horses onward.

        “They want our child dead Edmund… but why? Do you think it was a prophecy that caused this?”

        Edmund took his time before answering, “If the reason really is a prophecy, then Margaret would undoubtedly be behind it.” Diane glanced at her husband; she could feel his mind work quickly, as he searched for a way out of this predicament. Sighing, Diane leaned her head onto his shoulder, relishing his warmth as she listened to the bird’s tweet merrily.

        Not an hour later, Douglas’s farm appeared on the horizon; it looked lovely in the dwindling light. Groups of cows stood grazing inside a fenced pasture, holding a large portion of the farm’s left side. The wide, green planting fields were slightly obscured by the two buildings standing before them: a house and its corresponding barn.

        A feeling of impending doom came over Diane, as she felt a man’s presence up ahead, sitting atop a tree… he was aiming at her heart. Diane only had a second to throw off his perception, before he let the dagger fly. She let out a cry of pain as it lodged into her left arm, burning her with its lethal poison.

        Edmund shouted in rage, before he let loose, incinerating the man where he sat. Edmund turned to his beloved, eyes red with fury, on the brink of despair.

        “Douglas…” gasped Diane, “…quickly.” She saw tears burn Edmund’s eyes as he nodded to her, before bringing the horses to a faster pace.

         ‘He’s such a handsome man’ thought Diane; she stared at him, desperately trying to distract herself from the pain. Edmund possessed a strong chiseled jaw, along with hair that grew in thick, dark curls. A noble nose protruded from between his sharp cheekbones. Though, Edmund’s greatest features were his eyes; they were a stunning shade of violet, gleaming with intellect. Now, they held back tears, bringing an ache to Diane’s heart. What would become of their child? Diane could feel the poison burning through her flesh, spreading at an alarming rate. How long would it take to reach her infant?

        Edmund steered the stallions into the farm, bringing them to a halt in front of Douglas’s home. Jumping off, Edmund moved to Diane’s side, before gently lifting her in his arms. The front door flung open, as he climbed up the porch, revealing a shocked Douglas. He glanced at Diane’s contorted face before looking at Edmund questioningly.

        “Poison dagger,” was all he managed to utter.

        A shaken Douglas ushered them in, before leading them upstairs. He took the couple to his study; a room bordered by shelves crammed with, thick books, containers, liquid-filled flasks, and numerous peculiar tools. Edmund carefully placed his wife on the chair facing a large desk overcrowded with more strange items. He turned to Douglas with pleading eyes, “she’s pregnant Douglas.”

        Diane let out a distressed wail, her right hand rested on her womb, as she cried in misery. Without regard to her left arm, which hung forgotten, entirely drenched in blood.

        “How far along is she?” Douglas tore off her sleeve, before deftly cleaning the wound around the dagger.

        “Four moons.” Diane gasped. Douglas moved to one of the shelves bringing back a small flask.

        “Take a sip of this Diane” She drank the sweet liquid, feeling warmth spread throughout her body.

        After taking a sample of Diane’s blood, Douglas wrapped a temporary bandage tightly around her wound, slowing down the bleeding. Next, he set on identifying the poison; evidently he only needed a few minutes.

        “This dagger was soaked in a mixture of three of the most potent poisons known to sorcery. One of which has no known antidote; however, I do believe that I can slow down its spread; giving your child a higher chance of survival.” Douglas spoke as he worked, concocting a luminescent fluid.

        Hope filled Diane’s chest, as she heard her cousin’s words. He handed her the flask, urging her to drink it quickly. Diane downed it in one go, drinking every last drop.

        “How long does Diane have?” said Edmund, desperation in his voice.

        “It’s hard to say, maybe two to four years, but do not despair Edmund, an antidote could be right around the corner… Now, I’ll need your help removing the blade… Diane, we’ll need to put you to sleep, a painful process I’m afraid.”

* * *

        Diane was still groggy from the sedatives, and her shoulder throbbed relentlessly, but this was now or never. Her eyes found her husband’s; the sadness in those familiar orbs left an empty feeling in her chest. How could she even begin to convince him, while he lay trapped in the deep dungeons of despair.

        Diane used her good arm to push herself up to a sitting position; leaning against the headboard she turned to Edmund. He sat, crouched on a wooden stool by the bed. His hands were tightly clasped together as he watched her sit up; he knew what was coming.

        “Edmund…” She began, not knowing how to continue. His jaws clenched, eyes not wavering from hers.

        “Edmund… you must listen to me… please. I-I-I can’t go back… Edmund, they’re after me… after our child, they’ll keep trying until they succeed… And I won’t allow that… I won’t allow any harm to come to our babe… You must let them think they’ve won… You must return to Lochton in the morning… to announce my death… ‘tis the only way. Morys can help you stage my death… it doesn’t matter anyway… I’ll be dead soon enough”

        “-Diane”

        “No Edmund, I don’t know why they want us dead. But, I have a feeling that our daughter is destined for something… something important.”

        “D-Daughter?” His lips twitched into a small smile.

        “Yes, daughter.” Diane allowed herself to smile. “The shock, or the poison, has helped me sense her conscious mind. She’s a strong one… just like her father… and we must keep her safe. She’ll be raised here, in hiding, where no harm can come to her. To ensure her safety Edmund, you mustn’t visit... you mustn’t contact us in anyway... Your job is a dangerous one; however, it’s important that you go back. The King needs you, and so does the kingdom.” Diane reached over to hold her husband’s hand, tears running down her face. “This is farewell Edmund.”

        They wept, they kissed and they embraced, ‘till the morning sun rose to tear them apart.

* * *

The map was made by my wonderful sister @DesertFox96 whom I dedicated this part to. Hopefully she'll be posting more of her work on her DeviantArt account: lightfox96

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 54.6K 55
This book can be read as a stand alone Greyson Blake Rosen-Hower Who doesn't know that name? Everyone with a pulse knows his family. He's blessed wit...
11.3K 528 29
“And so the little lamb and his mama live happily ever after,” the girl finished reading her story aloud to the creature beside her. Hopeful orbs of...
4.5K 293 19
*Completed August 10, 2021,* (I may fix up a few chapters in the future because plain and simple I still don't like them, comment idea's for some of...
627K 18.4K 62
Book 1: "Allison where did you get that from the dollar store" the queen whore of the school looked at me with so much hate. There w...