Chapter Seven

Violet planted her feet on the ground with a thump; her legs were sore from their continuous riding and she was relieved to finally have a break. Pulling out the wooden staff, she led Daisy to the riverbank, where Ellen sat hunched filling up their water containers. The clear water meandered past carrying a few fallen leaves; Violet licked her dry lips in anticipation and bent down to have a drink. Daisy’s head bobbed down beside her as they both quenched their thirst with the cool water. Dipping her hands in the river, Violet splashed her face, running her fingers through her dark hair, essentially cleaning it from any residing dirt. She sighed examining her bloodstained dress, ‘what I’d give to have a proper bath.’

        “Oh don’t look so glum there Violet, we’ll be there soon,” Ellen winked at her, closing the lid of one of the containers.

        Violet smiled in return, the wind nipping at her wet face as she pushed herself up. She led Daisy to some nearby shrubs to munch on, before turning to walk along the riverbank, exercising her seemingly stiff muscles. The salve Ellen used on her the day before had done wonders to her wound; in fact, it was nearly completely healed and no longer hurt Violet. It was just too bad that it couldn’t help strengthen her faulty leg.

        Sensing George’s return, Violet turned back, trekking up the river bend towards where Ellen stood. He emerged from the trees, trotting up to his wife, before swiftly dismounting. George held Ellen by her elbow as he spoke; it didn’t look like he brought bad news, in truth he seemed quite content. Violet steadily limped towards them, before looking up at George expectantly.

        “Well Violet, it seems you were right, although I didn’t sense them, I did find quite a few powerful wizards on our path,” he chuckled to himself.

        Ellen laughed, pushing him aside, “he found our friends… well, the superiors we had to meet in Lightlyn,” she smiled excitedly, “we should catch up to them.”

        “Well alright, but who is it we’re meeting?”

        “Oh you’ll be finding out soon enough,” Ellen winked at her cheekily, before guiding her over to Daisy, “better hurry up, or we might leave you behind.”

        Violet giggled, shaking her head, “oh no you wont,” she yelped in surprise as she was boosted up onto Daisy. Violet looked down to see Ellen grinning up at her, “you never know with someone like me,” wiggling her eyebrows, she backed away before turning to her own mount.

        Violet laughed to herself as she followed their lead, she was lucky to have met such a lovely couple. Though fairly quiet, George was always kind and gentle to Violet; Ellen, on the other hand, had quite a lively personality. She has shown however, that she could change to a doting mother-like figure in an instant. Violet caught up to her, riding astride her large stallion as they moved a little faster than their usual pace.

        Afternoon light seeped through the surrounding trees, their branches holding fewer autumn leaves with each passing day. The splashing of the river Dracwick had a soothing effect on Violet, it’s sounds mingled with the clatter of their horses’ hooves resulting in a steady rhythm echoing about them. She took a breath, filling her lungs with cold, fresh air and felt at peace with herself.

        Black feathers blinded her vision as a raven zoomed past; it’s wings nearly grazing her shoulders as it flew by. Violet let out a small shriek in surprise, she looked to Ellen in bewilderment, “where did that come from?”

        The woman chuckled in amusement, “I don’t know, it looked to have appeared from thin air.”

        Violet let out a shiver, goose bumps lining her arms; it was colder here near Lightlyn’s mountains. She rubbed her sleeved arms, viewing the neighboring rocky peaks; they towered over the landscape flanking Dracwick on either side. They were apparently insignificant compared to the Northern Alps bordering the horizon.