Prologue

“How long do you think it’s been since we’ve last seen Douglas?” Diane looked to her husband, watching him as he pondered silently. Presently, they were settled in a coach-and-four heading to said sorcerer’s residence.

        “Hmm… Well I’d say about two years.”

        “Oh yes, ‘twas the day of our wedding… my how time flies… To be honest, I thought we’d leave Lochton before we even had the chance to visit Douglas… Oh, how I’ve missed him.” Diane sighed happily; her cousin was so dear to her. They spent much of their time in each other’s company back in Erigate. Alas, Douglas grew more and more engrossed in his studies, and soon desired to continue his research elsewhere. He up and left to Orkeep, taking residence in a farm not too far off from the burnt forest; the object of his desire.

        Diane made sure to visit the sorcerer a few times a year, to check on his wellbeing. He would often forget himself, neglecting the numerous letters she’d send. That was before she married and moved to the capital. Unfortunately, Swynford was a demanding city, and as a wife of the advisor to the king, she was kept quite busy. Leaving her no time to visit family.

        Currently they resided in Lochton, a city not too far from Orkeep, where Edmund had business with Lord Morys Goldwell. Giving Diane a perfect opportunity to pay a visit.

        Edmund smiled affectionately. “I requested for a day off to see your cousin; evidently, Morys was happy to obli-” They both lurched forward as the carriage came to a sudden halt.

        “What on earth?” Diane looked to her husband bewildered.

        Edmund held up a finger. “Do you feel that?”

        Diane searched her surroundings, she sensed the driver’s pain; he was clearly stabbed. But there was something else…Diane concentrated. She felt the faint presence of a number of men, albeit something was shielding them from her.

        “Yes, they’re hidden in the trees somewhere to our left; however, I can’t make out much. Powerful magic is concealing them.”

        “I’ll have a look.”

        “I’ll go with you”

        “Diane, it’s dangerous… think of the child.” She unconsciously put a hand on her belly. Instinct told her to stay, but years of training urged her forward. Diane looked to Edmund in conflict. She knew not to take him lightly; he was one of the most powerful wizards of the kingdom.

        Sighing in resignation, Diane nodded. “You’re right, I’ll stay. But do be careful dear.”

        Edmund slowly opened the carriage door, silently disembarking. Meanwhile, Diane readied herself; he would surely welcome a little help from behind. Abruptly pushing at the barrier, she hoped to penetrate the unknown force. Evidently, the culprits had weaved their powers together, creating a seemingly impenetrable barrier. They came prepared, obviously familiar with Diane’s area of expertise. She cleared her mind focusing on pulling at the strands that bonded their magic together. The arduous process took quite a while, leaving Diane absolutely drained.

        “There” Diane puffed. They were exposed now, prey to Edmund’s wrath.

        He appeared at the door, not long after, seemingly unperturbed. “I appreciate your help darling.” Diane exhaled in relief. She stepped out into the afternoon light, welcoming the chirps emanating from the surrounding forest. Diane clutched her medical bag, dreading what awaited her.