Gate of Dimensions

By ManOfIllusions

1940, two years after a brutal civil war that saw the return of Kaiser Wilhelm II, the revived German Empire... More

Prologue: A Fallen Kingdom
[Act 1] Chapter 1: Attack on Berlin
[Act 1] Chapter 2: Order of an Empire
[Act 1] Chapter 3: Tor Korps
[Act 1] Chapter 4: A New Dawn
[Act 1] Chapter 5: The Usurper
[Act 1] Chapter 6: The Empress-In-Waiting
[Act 1] Chapter 7: Occupying Forces
[Act 1] Chapter 8: The Girl with Deceiving Looks
[Act 1] Chapter 9: A Timely Arrival
[Act 1] Chapter 10: Battle on the Outside
[Act 1] Chapter 11: Relieved from Within
[Act 1] Chapter 12: Meeting of Dimensions
[Act 1] Chapter 13: City of Hope
[Act 1] Chapter 14: A Suicidal War
[Act 1] Chapter 15: A Break from War
[Act 1] Chapter 16: Two Worlds
[Act 1] Chapter 17: Germania
[Act 1] Chapter 18: Train to the Gate
[Act 1] Chapter 19: Arrival at Hindenburg
[Act 1] Chapter 20: Emperor's Gamble
[Act 1] Chapter 21: Beyond the Gate
[Act 1] Chapter 23: Two Leaders
[Act 1] Chapter 24: Two Soldiers
[Act 1] Chapter 25: Losers of the Last War
[Act 1] Chapter 26: After Negotiations
[Act 1] Chapter 27: Knowledge of an Empire
[Act 1] Chapter 28: Service of Nobility
[Act 1] Chapter 29: Start of a Journey
[Act 1] Chapter 30: Blackness
[Act 2] Chapter 1: Warlord
[Act 2] Chapter 2: New Age of Industry
[Act 2] Chapter 3: Compassion, Courtship, Cooperation
[Act 2] Chapter 4: Battle against Fate
[Act 2] Chapter 5: Dawn

[Act 1] Chapter 22: Empires Collide

3.1K 58 66
By ManOfIllusions

Guinevere and Werner sat right next to each other in the atrium on a single couch, both too nervous about the meeting to talk to each other, twiddling their thumbs simultaneously. Werner considered holding her hand, but that would certainly anger Vera, who was sitting on the other side, staring at both of them. Instead, both of them could only sit and share the same fear of being the centre of attention in front of a large group of powerful men in a single room. Erenn was noticeably absent from the atrium, having been told to wait outside the Kaiser's office after the meeting is finished.

Everyone spent the entire morning preparing for the meeting. The elves, as per Werner's instructions, dressed in large robes to hide their faces and their ears in order to deal a shock when they reveal the existence of other species from beyond the Gate. Vera kept herself in a militaristic fashion, standing guard with her hand on her sword, the only guard Guinevere was allowed to bring to the meeting. Elaine had her magic be prepared, assuring Guinevere that it will completely blow away the entire Reichstag.

Guinevere had most of the night before going over a translated book about the history of the German aristocracy, trying to get something that could give her an edge in the coming meeting with her own words rather than displaying it, anything that could sway the Germans to her cause. But their prestige, their power and their influence dwarfed hers completely. What was she to them?

"They make us wait an entire day for the meeting and now they make us sit for hours?" Sera groaned. "Why can't they just put the Empress in a room with the Kaiser and sign the treaty already?"

Werner sighed and told, "This is not some medieval negotiations between two rulers and the simple signing of a treaty, we have updated the process. Now, it involves careful deliberation from all party members as well as a lot of convincing on your part. Then, it would take about a week to get all members to vote. It is the only way to ensure negotiations benefit their own nation."

"Their nation, their rules, Sera," Cara told. 

"I still don't understand why a nation of such prestige would allow such a meeting to take place,"  Sera said. "I am sure this Reichstag has more on their hands than discussing anything with six women from someplace that has nothing to do with their original homeworld."

"Just don't think about it, Elf," Vera told. "Her Majesty doesn't need you adding more to her plate."

Despite not speaking it, Guinevere was thinking what Sera was saying, more times than she should have. 

"Maybe it is like what I heard a noble said one time," Elaine chimed, grinning as she looked at a painting of the Kaiser, "they are just trying to make it interesting."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Vera demanded.

"Oh come on," Sera groaned. "You have to look around yourself and see the Germans are more than capable of taking over our entire world themselves."

As did the first Arthur did, Guinevere thought. She, as well as everyone else, knew the tale of the first Arthur one-thousand-five-hundred years ago. A single king marched through the Gate with an entire kingdom, as well as the Saxonian precursors, to destroy the Great Elven Kingdom, sending the elves within scattering to find themselves again - though, historians believed that the elves were already weakened with a cultural identity crisis. But, it was done with swords and shields. I don't think they even need to bring their entire empire, Guinevere thought, just a larger army.

"I hate to say anything, but she is right," Werner said, earning himself a look from everyone. "The Reich aren't ones to serve you dinner and call you an ally, they'd serve you fire and blood and call you a servant. After the Civil War, they aren't going to take too kindly to the people who went straight into their capital and slaughtered their people."

"Do you have to scare us like that?" Guinevere demanded, shaking slightly. "You could have held it to yourself."

"No, you need to know everything about what we are about. With that in mind, perhaps this can be solved through diplomacy."

"That is if you can convince the Kaiser!" a loud and commanding voice emerged.

Guinevere noticed a man walking towards them before Werner did. An old, ageing man of not-so-great physique but with a very fashionable moustache. Judging from how he is being guarded by two super-soldiers, he must be important in the German hierarchy. 

When Werner noticed, he jumped up from his seat in great haste and screamed, "Kanzler Paul von Hindenburg," and bowed.

"The Kaiser instructed all members of the Bundesrat and Reichstag to speak English fluently when out of the camera's eyes when in front of the Empress, so save yourself the fear of offending your betters," Paul responded.

Guinevere read about him in a book, a man who was both a general of the German military and a politician of the defunct Weimar Republic. Currently, the Chancellor of Germany and leader of the German National People's Party. It was only a dream for Guinevere to ever wish that a man in her court could be able to handle both the pen and the sword without breaking. Judging from Werner's reaction, he truly was good in both affairs.

Paul then stepped forward to Guinevere, who was joined by Vera - though, it didn't do much to deter anything - and Bela, and spoke in a very aged voice. "You must be the one we have been waiting for. The Empress from another world not of our knowledge."

Empress responded with a bow, "It is a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Mister Hindenburg."

"The pleasure is all ours," Paul greeted, tilting his head slightly while coughing into a handkerchief. "And at the courtesy of our beloved Kaiser."

Guinevere raised an eyebrow, noticing sarcasm. "You don't sound that enthusiastic to be here, why is that?"

"Not to offend you, but I am not. I, as well as the other politicians of the current two-year government, could be spending their effort deciding on the future of our beloved country right now, sorting through the rapid amounts of requests sent from the Reichswerke on development or trying to keep our people focussed on the true threat here in our world but, we are forced here to deal with matters that should have been sorted out from beyond the Gate in a meeting between you and Erwin Rommel."

Guinevere sunk herself into her own body. She was the one who brought herself here, called upon this meeting and brought all German leaders to this very day to discuss the terms on neutral ground. She just might have annoyed the entire German leadership and dearth herself a political blow.

"You could at least spare a single day to sit down and pay attention to us," Vera told, much to Werner's despair. "It is a weak notion to think that an empress of a mighty empire should negotiate the partition of her own territory to a military officer. No. This needs to be negotiated between my empress and your emperor so we can build proper respect for one another."

"If the fact that you are a mighty empire is true, then why is it you need us to help end your war?" Paul asked, grinning slightly.

Silence.

Werner nudged Vera slightly before looming his head above her. "Show some respect! He is the Chancellor of the German Empire. He is the head of the federal government and has the power to direct national resources to and from beyond the Gate. You would need to count on his help if you are to convince the Reichstag that helping you would benefit the German people."

"Though I fear my time is nearing its end, Lord Von Goldberg," Paul told, coughing into a handkerchief. "Soon I am to step down and hand the torch to Ludwig Beck, who I would expect would be able to bring power to the title."

"Ludwig Beck?" Werner questioned. "But Beck is a military man, the Chief of Operations Staff. Why would you want him to replace you?"

"If you really want to know, we need more military men in high positions, men who can strengthen our positions against the tide about to come from all directions and from within. It must be the power that our government must project, not sentiment. We all swore an oath to the Kaiser and it is up to us to help him keep it."

"So the German Army holds vast power within the empire?" Guinevere asked. From the perspective of feudalism, such power is very dangerous. "I thought the military is supposed to be loyal to their liege lord. Why is the army has more power than it should."

"For years the kaisers of the Fatherland have been instilling into their people reverence for the omnipotence of militarism, of which the holiest symbol is the German uniform," Paul told. "Offenses against this have incurred condign punishment. Officers who have not considered themselves saluted in due form have drawn their swords with impunity on those who offend with their incompetence."

"In short, the military is pretty much part of the German culture and officers are greatly respected enough to incur their own wrath upon lower-ranking members," Werner said to Guinevere, sweating.

"That's what I said, Oberstleutnant," Paul groaned. "You must not use miniature words in the presence of nobility, otherwise we'd be talking like peasants throughout the meeting. I hope you are here to translate for her, Werner. Because when we are in that meeting room, there will be cameras broadcasting this entire meeting to every television in the Fatherland and possibly every foreign television if they happened to tune in to this historical event. We are not going to force our own people to listen to something they can't understand."

"Does he mean that black glass that projects little men?" Guinevere asked.

Sweating nervously, Werner turned to her and said, "That black glass is what almost every person in the Fatherland happens to possess. It means that when we are in that very room, the entire German nation is going to watching us through those black glasses. I have no idea why this is necessary, but it is."

"It is because we are just about on our last legs in this debacle," Paul told. "The people have demanded that we reveal what is happening in the heart of the Reich and we are inclined to tell them everything in the form of a nationwide television broadcast. Though, I certainly hope they won't think this is some sort of fantasy movie, judging by how . . . colourful these women are dressed as."

"What does he mean by that?" Vera asked.

"He means that people in the modern world are not accustomed to wearing bright colours as we were back hundreds of years ago," Werner answered. "We are more accustomed to simple black uniforms of both formal and military professions."

Vera said, "So when we get in there, we are are all-"

"Going to stand out?" Werner answered. "Yes. When those cameras are going to come on, the whole country will be looking at you, seeing you, judging you for what you say and how you look."

"Why do I feel like I am going to faint?" Guinevere huffed, succeeding in making Vera run over and grab her shoulders.

"These men are from Prussian aristocracy," Paul told. "These are the most powerful men in the entire empire. You have every right to feel nervous. This isn't going to be some meeting between servants and masters but an official meeting between an emperor and empress."

"Hindenburg, nam nuzhno dopolnitel'no obsudit' moy zapros na oborudovaniye," said a man approaching from behind. Hindenburg, we need to further discuss my request for equipment.

From behind Hindenburg, a man approached slowly. He had a tall but lean figure had very short hair and wore a pair of round glasses. Guinevere would have to let Werner introduce her again since his face wasn't on any of the German books she read.

"Andrey Vlasov?" Werner stuttered. "C-Chancellor Hindenburg, why is there a Soviet soldier here?"

"Whose that?" Guinevere inquired.

"Andrey Vlasov, a decorated general of the Red Army," Werner answered, "receiving the Order of the Red Banner and the Order of Lenin. But for some reason, he is wearing a uniform stylized like our uniforms but with the Russian tricolour on it, the obvious sign for one of the Whites."

"Whites?"

"The Russians who lost the last civil war."

"Enough of that, Werner von Goldberg," Paul demanded, bringing Andrey close to him, who simply shoved himself away and walked off. "Andrey is here under the protection of Kaiser Wilhelm himself. His men

"What do you mean exercise?" Werner asked. "You mean we're at war?"

"Didn't you read the newspaper? The newly established Franco-British Union is invading the neutral United States while their Confederate allies watch on. Our soldiers will be heading there to join the war as an expeditionary force."

"Americans?" Werner chuckled. "Are we going to let those who cry for freedom while ostracising entire races join the Central Powers? But seriously, they did help crush our beloved empire during the Weltkrieg so why are we sending our men to help them?"

"Mutual advantage," Paul chuckled. "Any fool can see that. With their help, we can benefit from the American's prosperous trade in resources, like oil and Fanta. In exchange, the people of the Vaterland sleep peacefully, knowing they need not suffer interference from the slavers of the southern state. If relations fall through, we'd be getting ourselves an ally on the American continent and full access to resources."

"Well, as long as the Yanks keep the fascist Dixies out of our hair, I'd be glad to have them in the alliance. Ironic, since they both smashed our armies during the Weltkrieg."

"They have since apologised for that. What made them consider the alliance was when Winston Churchill issued a demand that the North accept the South as the legitimate owners of the southern part of the United States and go back to the neutrality agreement. Obviously, this was a greater insult to them than the Silver Legion."

"I thought the declaration of the CSA was the greatest insult?"

Paul chuckled. "That too."

Guinevere had no idea what they were talking about, but she relented to tell them to stop while she was there. Though, while Vera jumped at the word, "Fanta," she jumped at the word, "Slavers." She started to sweat at the notion that some states on this side of the Gate still practised slavery, thinking of her girls and the potential of her people being exploited.

"Um, Lord Hindenburg," Guinevere called, getting the old man's attention, "what did you mean by slavers?"

"Are you fearing we might go into your little empire, steal your people and sell you to these slavers? Ha! We are not a backwards people. But to answer your question, the term slavery is not used literally, but the CSA somehow managed to create a system that uses slavery but calls it exploitation."

Despite having great disgust, Guinevere breathed a sigh of relief.

"Anyway," Paul continued, "the meeting is starting very soon and I must prepare. It was a pleasure to stand in the graces of royalty and I offer my sincere apologies for having to wait this long. Right now, I need to be in my seat."

Without even waiting for Guinevere to say her parting words, the Chancellor walked in the opposite direction with his guards in tow, leaving the Empress with a vacant expression.

"Sorry he cut you off," Werner said, "but men of his rank have a lot more to do than idle conversation."

"I understand," Guinevere reassured, "but at least I got an idea about what kind of ally your people want."

"Oh, don't think we are simply going to use you as a shield against those who dare to try and cross the Gate again. The Kaiser wouldn't allow his own troops to take a seat as others fight his battles for him."

The Kaiser! He was the man Guinevere had to convince the most, not entirely the Reichstag. If the Kaiser truly held the power over the Bundesrat and influence in the Reichstag, then the Reichstag would have no choice but to follow him.

"Werner I need to know about the Kaiser as much as possible," Guinevere told. "Please, give me your honest opinion of the Kaiser. And please, do not respond with blind patriotism."

Werner gave her a proud look and took a deep breath. "Kaiser Wilhelm . . . strong as he presents himself, his decisions are based upon emotion rather than logical thinking, a thing me and him have in common. Any decision the old leaders let him make harmed Germany in the process, which I already mentioned. The Weltkrieg showed us that the role of the monarch didn't need to be filled out that much, as the generals had no such problem directing troops on their own. In fact, it was a military junta for most of the war, although not officially. When you speak to him, try to sound as if you are a true leader, one of courage and spirit, but don't dare try to present yourself as over him."

Despite finding the entire description demeaning, especially one for one loyal to his country, Guinevere found hope in the fact his emotions are in front of his own thinking. Perhaps it would be the thrill of forming another kingdom from beyond the Gate that would make the Kaiser's nerves jolt with excitement, Guinevere thought.

"I see," Guinevere said, grinning her teeth. "So I really do have to use every card I have in swaying the Kaiser and his underlings."

"If you can," Werner told.

"I am guessing that 'if' has a lot of emphases?"

"You are going to be convincing them to divert national resources beyond the Gate to another dimension that has no matter in the current state of affairs in our own present universe. It isn't going to be as easy as convincing a minor lord to sell his estate for a lump sum of money."

"Not if you offer him something he truly wants," said Sera, giggling like a little girl, earning herself a slap from Cara.

"Is that what your dark elves offer every human lord you encounter?" Werner jokingly asked. "No, I don't think the Empress needs to do something like that. At least, I think she shouldn't."

Guinevere and Vera shared a look, reminding each other of the dining conversation she had about marriage. 

"Maybe," said Elaine, "they would see the fact that a Gate in their own capital city. They would see this as a threat to their own security of their entire country and decide anyway that the best course of action is to join forces with people who know the terrain the best."

Sera sniggered. "Or they would pull their troops out and just blow up the Gate and leave everyone stranded."

"That's what the military leaders wanted to do after the first attack," Werner revealed. "They opted to blow up the Gate to prevent another wave of dragons from being unleashed upon our city, which would have been the wisest thing to do, but instead, Wilhelm wanted to send an entire detachment lead by one of our greatest military leaders to investigate."

"I guess we have to thank the Kaiser for that," Guinevere said, sitting back down. "If it wasn't for that decision, then I would probably be on stage before the people of Camelot getting my head hacked off or sold into the underground's slave trade."

"So your people still practise slavery?" Werner asked, visibly shocked.

"Slavery has long since been out after the Emancipation Accord done by Her Majesty's grandfather," Vera told. "But if our intelligence is to be believed, the bastard Mordred has been acquiring wealth off the trade of slaves in the underground, trading women to privately-owned brothels and men to nations who still do practise slavery, like far north."

Werner grinded his teeth, visibly disgusted with the idea. "Then I'd take great pleasure in blasting him and all those who defend him with my panzers."

"That is all we hope for," Vera said, smiling.

Guinevere hung her head down. Sure, the proposition of German soldiers fighting her war would have been a good thing in the eyes of a desperate monarch, but from the eyes from a long

"Why is it I am suspecting the presence of her Knight-Commander isn't needed here?" Vera sighed. "It seems the only ones needed are my Empress, the elves and the magician."

"Not really," Werner chuckled. "I seem to recall you rejecting my offer to stay back in the hotel room and watch the television. It isn't like you have been studying the German language at all, unlike your Empress, and it is not like you as her bodyguard would be able to deter the dozens of guards who are going to be in there."

"Sure, you don't need the Knight-Commander of the Silver Hand here right now but you definitely need the elves here."

"Let me tell you something," Sera chimed, "during you and Werner's first meeting, he used us to show you, blue-blood women, that they are willing to work with those who help them in any way they can. Us being here right now means he wants to present us again. I mean, what are we, the circus?"

"Easy, Sera," Cara ordered, "I am sure Werner didn't mean to offend you. I am sure he has his reasons."

"Yeah, well she sure doesn't mind using us for granted."

"Well, what do you expect me to do?" Werner told, raising his voice. "I didn't bring you here for a vacation, I brought you here to help with the negotiations. Yes, by presenting yourselves when I give the signal. I could have given you transport to the refugee camps but instead, I brought you here in great luxury. If you want to complain about how I handle things, you can go back to the hotel with the rest of the Silver Hand bodyguards."

Sera groaned as she leaned back in her seat. It didn't last long as they were all soon approached by several armed guards, heralding that the time to talk was to start immediately. Everyone gulped on their own saliva, all nervous at the fact they will soon be in front of the most powerful men in the world.

"This is it," Guinevere whispered. "Paragons, please don't let this start another age of conquest."

...

The doors that led to the meeting hall opened and the motley group entered the hall with eyes coming from all directions staring at them, murmuring all the while. The meeting hall of the Reichstag was, just like every other German building, massive, with each of the walls stretching kilometres apart, banners of the German Empire stretching down the walls, super-soldiers standing near each door and a giant silver eagle staring right above the main seat. A true display of power that Guinevere could bask in. Is this how power is projected on the person in Germany, Guinevere thought? 

Looking around her, Guinevere saw how much her people stood out. Everyone either dressed in black, ornate military attire or a suit of black, clearly supposed to signify power, while she, the elves, Vera and Elaine were extremely colourful, more than decorations. Their beards and moustaches, they would make the lords of Camelot feel ashamed. But judging by their professional mannerisms and dissatisfied faces, none of them wished to be here. It truly was surprising that none of them was leering at the women, it must have been the Prussian virtues the television back at the hotel kept mentioning. The only people who wore something different were a few obviously foreign men in blue uniforms with a fleur-de-lis armband, who Werner was eyeing more than his commanding officers with a confused expression, one that deterred her from asking what it was all about.

Right at the other side of the meeting hall sat a man on the elevated seat above everyone else. Judging by his age, his uniform and his stern face, this was indeed the leader of the entire German Empire. The man who Guinevere so desired to meet.

Despite this man commanding the most powerful civilization she had ever seen, the Empress saw a geriatric man with his left arm withered. Despite her trying her hardest to retract all her imaginations of expecting a seven-footer with muscles that bulged like tree trunks, she instead tried to question how a man could hold onto such power over his subjects from such a ceremonial position. Perhaps he was without a doubt a very powerful and influential ruler? Or perhaps he wasn't the one who was truly pulling the strings. Perhaps the military had more power than she thought, just as Werner said.

Guinevere and her entourage stood right in the centre of the meeting hall where the only open seats were available. While everyone else, including Vera, was visibly nervous being in a room with so many men staring at them, Guinevere tried her hardest to stand firm and look directly into the Kaiser's eyes, showing mutual respect.

Wilhelm spoke in a commanding voice his age allowed him to. "Jetzt, wo wir hier sind, können wir jetzt beginnen." Now that we are here, we may now begin.

Every person in the room sat down in their chairs, leaving Guinevere the only one standing. The urge to run out of the room left her as she continued to stare at the Kaiser, her purple eyes staring directly into the blue.

Staring up at the man at the top of the stand, Guinevere spoke, "Kaiser Wilhelm der Zweite, eine Freude, Sie endlich kennenzulernen." Emperor Wilhelm the Second, a pleasure to finally meet you.

"Und eine Freude, auch in Ihrer Gegenwart gesegnet zu sein, Kaiserin Guinevere," Wilhelm responded. And a pleasure to be blessed in your presence, Empress Guinevere.

The tone of the meeting was set. Everyone around them was intrigued at a person from another dimension who could speak their language so fluently. Even Werner was satisfied with the reactions. Guinevere cast him a smile, her way of thanking him for the dictionary. Vera and the three elves only sat confused, not understanding a single thing spoken. 

While Elaine was busy drawing an accurate depiction of the Kaiser, Werner slowly leaned towards Elaine and whispered in her ear, "When I tap you, you step forward and perform your magic, please?"

Elaine looked at him nodded silently, going back to her drawing.

"Ich vertraue darauf, dass Sie Ihren Aufenthalt im Herzen Deutschlands genossen haben, als ich hörte, dass Ihre Nation zu einer Zeit eingesperrt war, als der Strom nicht erfunden wurde?" Wilhelm asked. I trust that you enjoyed your stay in the heart of Germany when I heard that your nation was locked up at a time when electricity was not invented?

"Es ist in der Tat faszinierend, Euer Gnaden," Guinevere responded. It is fascinating indeed, Your Grace.

"Das würde ich mir vorstellen. Ich kann mir nur vorstellen, dass Ihre Gebäude im Vergleich zu dem, was wir in zwei Jahren gebaut haben, kurz sind." I would imagine that. I can only imagine that your buildings are short compared to what we built in two years.

The whole room, the cameras and perhaps even everyone watching their televisions watched clearly as two empires collided in idle talk. It was a look from Hindenburg that made Wilhelm rethink his next question.

The Kaiser said, "In wichtigeren Dingen haben wir Sie um Ihre Anwesenheit gebeten, da Sie diese Allianz vorgeschlagen haben. Wir möchten zunächst Ihren Vorschlag hören." We asked you to be present on more important matters because you proposed this alliance. We'd like to hear your suggestion first.

At that, Hindenburg stood up and walked around the room to the desk in front of the Empress, glaring all the while. Guinevere gulped on her own saliva.

"Kaiserin Guinevere," Paul started, "Berichte von jenseits des Tores erzählen von Ihrem Reich, das angeblich in den Händen Ihres usurpierenden jüngeren Bruders liegt. Dank der Bemühungen eines unserer Offiziere haben Sie überlebt, um Ihren Kampf fortzusetzen." Reports from beyond the Gate tells of your empire that is supposedly in the hands of your usurping younger brother. Thanks to the efforts of one of our officers, you have survived to continue your struggle.

Guinevere struggled to speak for a moment, realising she owed the Germans her life. "Ja, ich schulde deinem Volk mein Leben. Jetzt suche ich ein Bündnis zwischen unseren beiden großen Reichen, um diejenigen zu Fall zu bringen, die Ihnen und mir Unrecht getan haben. Wir können es nicht alleine schaffen, wir brauchen Hilfe." Yes, I owe my life to your people. Now I am seeking an alliance between our two great empires to bring down those who wronged you and me. We can't do it alone, we need help.

"Aber warum sollte das notwendig sein? Hast du keine eigene Armee?" Paul questioned. But why would that be necessary? Don't you have an army of your own?

"Wir sind bis zu unseren letzten Beinen fertig, wir haben kaum genug Männer, um den Rückstoß zu machen." We are down to our last legs, we have barely enough men to make the push back.

Paul glided around the table and leaned himself over it. "Sag mir, welche Art von Armee hat deine Nation?" Tell me, what kind of army does your nation have?

"Unser Militär basiert auf der langjährigen feudalen Gesellschaft. Mordred war derjenige, der seine eigene Privatarmee bilden sollte, aber er verwandelte sie in eine Gruppe von Abtrünnigen, die so groß war, dass sie sich über die Grenzen ausbreitete." Our military is based around the long-running feudal society. Mordred was the one who was supposed to make his own private army, but he turned it into a band of renegades, one so large that it spreads across the borders.

"Und als Gegenleistung für unsere Armeen, die Sie bei Ihren Bemühungen unterstützen, was können Sie unserem großartigen Land bieten?" And in return for our armies to support you in your efforts, what can you offer our great country?

"Wir sind bereit, Ihnen den westlichen Teil des Kontinents zu gewähren. Was auch immer Sie den Eingeborenen antun, liegt bei Ihnen, aber wir brauchen Ihre uneingeschränkte Zusammenarbeit, um unser Land vor einem wütenden Verrückten zu retten." We are ready to grant you the western part of the continent. Whatever you do to the natives is up to you, but we need your full cooperation to save our country from an angry madman.

Wilhelm sniggered a bit and said, "Noch vor drei Jahren wurde dieses Land von den Männern, denen Sie helfen wollen, vor einem wütenden Verrückten gerettet. Abgesehen davon bezog ich mich auf das, was Sie uns als Gegenleistung für unsere Hilfe anbieten können. Sie müssen etwas haben, von dem wir profitieren können, außer einem Bündnis und einem ehrenwerten Königsmord." Just three years ago this country was saved from a raging madman by the men you want to help you. But besides that, I was referring to what can you offer us in return of our aid. You must have something that we can benefit from, other than an alliance and honourable regicide.

"Wir haben Magie in unserer Welt," Guinevere said with a smile. We have magic in our world.

While the entire room began to murmur amongst themselves, debating if what was said was true, Werner quickly tapped Elaine's arm and she walked forward beside the Empress. 

When the whole room fell silent at the sight of the short, large-hat-wearing girl, Elaine whipped out her magical staff and started to chant an incantation. The whole room held onto their breath as a blue aura circled around the tip of the staff. The cameras all around were recording and broadcasting everything. And then suddenly, sparkles came out of the staff. What came out was magic in the shape of a fairy, which flew right around the room, right past almost every officer and right in front of the Kaiser's face, kissing him on the nose before fading into thin air.

And just like that, everyone was in their seats. The proof that magic wasn't just in children's stories or folk legends anymore. This was real magic being displayed before them. 

Guinevere's questions about the possible existence of magic in their world were answered: there was none to create such a reaction. Apparently, science was indeed the only tool the people on this side of the Gate had to advance in to further their civilisation, but they did it in a way so powerful that they were ahead of the Arthurian Empire, which had existed for over a thousand years.

"Wir haben auch Elfen," Guinevere announced, confidently. We also have elves.

"Elfen!?" the King of Bohemia yelled, causing a slight stir. Elves!?

Before anyone could say any else or deny the fact, Sera, Cara and Bela stepped up after Werner looked at them and took off their hoods, revealing their ears. The amount of shocking gasps or exclaims at the sight of the large-eared women of white or dark skin laid down the milestone of a new era in human history.

"Die Dunkelelfen sind mehr als bereit, sich unserem Territorium in der Saphirregion anzuschließen, solange sie den weitgehend dichten Wald am Fluss erhalten. Sie kündigten ihre Verwendung als treue Untertanen und großartig im Spionagespiel an," Werner spoke out. The dark elves are more than ready to join our territory in the sapphire region as long as they maintain the largely dense forest on the river. They announced their use as loyal subjects and great in spy games.

Guinevere looked up and couldn't help but smile at the fascinated face of Wilhelm. It would appear he had been swayed to her side the moment he saw the magic be displayed.

"Ich glaube, der Reichstag hat gesehen, welch großes Wunder die Menschen jenseits des Tores haben," Wilhelm announced. I think the Reichstag saw what a miracle the people beyond the gate have.

He then turned back to Guinevere, pulling out a parchment and saying, "Dies ist der Vertrag von Imperien. Ich bin zu dem Schluss gekommen, dass wir, solange das Tor aktiv bleibt, nicht hoffen können, den Konflikt zu beginnen, auf den wir uns zwei Jahre lang vorbereitet haben, wenn wir einen Angriff von innen riskieren. Wir werden so viele Männer wie möglich schicken, um den Kontinent fest im Griff zu haben und Ihnen Ihre Krone zurückzugeben." This is the Treaty of Empires. I have come to the conclusion that as long as the gate remains active, if we risk an attack from within, we cannot hope to start the conflict we have been preparing for two years. We will send as many men as possible to keep a firm grip on the continent and give you your crown back.

"N-No!" Guinevere called out, speaking too fastly, shocking everyone. "Forgive me, but I have come to request that you use your forces as nothing more than allies in this conflict. If you'd understand, then I need not explain. The line of Arthur has been held into the arms of a hedonistic, chauvinistic usurper who one the minds of the people who think he is a god through lies and propaganda. Has spread the deception that I have demons, meaning you all, aligned with me. If I was to commit your troops fully to the conflict, not of their own accord, then I will be nothing more than a pathetic child who used other people to gain back my throne, not through my own tactical genius. Please, reconsider the prospect of using your forces as the main force."

Werner had to translate for her.

The entire room started to deliberate again. All of them, especially the Kaiser, found it hard to argue with her assessment. If she was to use the German armies to gain back her throne, then she might as well declare them their overlords since the people would likely refuse to back a person who relies on allies to fight. The last thing a ruler of a powerful dynasty would want to be is a puppet, even if they weren't given a choice. Wilhelm knew this much too well.

"I see," the Kaiser whispered. "Dann muss ich das mit Ihnen persönlich besprechen." Then i will have to discuss this with you personally.

The Kaiser then stood up an announced, "Vor diesem Hintergrund habe ich beschlossen, die Entscheidung zur Erörterung der Vertragsbedingungen auf morgen zu verschieben. Ich erkläre diese Sitzung bis auf weiteres für abgewiesen." In light of this, I have decided to postpone the decision until tomorrow to discuss the terms of the treaty. I declare this meeting dismissed until further notice.

The dissatisfaction in the groans of the men around her made Guinevere realise she overstepped her boundaries. Within only seconds, every man got up and proceeded to walk out the way they came in, the camera operators shut off the cameras and Wilhelm walked out of the room through a separate entrance with the other higher-ups. Whatever Guinevere said, it got the Kaiser interested.

"That was without a doubt the shortest meeting I have ever been to," Werner groaned. 

"Why was it?" Guinevere asked.

"I expect it is because the Kaiser wants to have an emperor-to-empress discussion with you based upon your fear of being obsolete. You at least gave the leaders something to think about and you sure gave the people of this nation a show. I believe he became convinced when magic and people of different species became revealed to him."

"Do you mean I am going to meet with him personally?"

"Isn't that what you wanted, to discuss the terms of the treaty face to face?

"What about you, Werner?"

"Me? I got a meeting with the head of the entire Wehrmacht himself. I will see you all back at the hotel."

"You mean you are leaving me? What am I supposed to say?"

"This is your doing, Guinevere, and I can't tell you everything, you need to learn this stuff yourself. Just remember what I told you. Goodbye and good luck."

Guinevere only sat and watched as Werner got up and joined the other men leaving the room. Within only minutes, the only ones who were left in the room were the only women and the guards. They all immediately got up and walked out of the room, being followed by guards as they made their way to the atrium.

...

Without Werner leading them, the women were forced to sit together and await some sort of escort back to the hotel. All but Guinevere were confused at what just happened, how it stopped abruptly with nothing being gotten done except an exchange of foreign languages. There was not even a treaty to be presented and signed.

"What happened?" Vera asked. "Why did they all leave the room?

"I believe the Kaiser wants to discuss the treaty with me personally. You heard what Werner said."

"So you rejected his offering to literally blow up all your enemies out of fear of being a puppet?" Sera asked, visibly annoyed. "Guinevere, you would be nothing but dust in the air if the Germans didn't lend their hand and give you their army."

"Hush, Sera," Bela demanded. "If the Kaiser wants a meeting to discuss the terms, then this could be a good thing to turn things around."

"That is all I hope for," Guinevere told. "Two leaders of two great empires coming together to meet in private. Perhaps I can truly get an idea of what the German people have in mind for us. I have no idea what they think of us, especially when they witnessed all I have done through their . . . televisions."

"You spoke well," Elaine told, "they all heard you speak as if you are a true leader sticking up for her nation than a docile pet willing to trade up the keys to her empire."

"You understood what I said?" Guinevere asked.

"I'm a magician. During the entire sitting, I cast a spell that allows me to translate their dialect into my own."

"I guess there are going to be two people who can understand that damn language," Vera groaned.

"You could understand it too if you'd have a read," Guinevere told, stepping forward and giving her the translation book. "As my royal command from beyond the Gate, I want you to read it and understand it. There is going to be a lot of German to be spoken both here and on our side of the Gate."

Soon, they were stopped by a lone blue-coated guard. "Fräulein," he spoke, "I am to escort you to the Kaiser's quarters immediately. I would recommend that you come alone. The rest will be escorted back to their quarters."

Guinevere gave Vera a look and nodded to her, walking off with the guard, leaving Vera and the others to be led away by a different set of guards. Please don't let this start a new age of conquest, Guinevere thought for the second time in her fragile life.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.2K 1.1K 18
The fall of Afghanistan and the situation within the pacific has the United States begun to loosen its grip on the coalitions they once established...
2.4K 67 23
A GATE: Thus The JSDF Fought There fanfic The two World Jumpers continue their adventures after their experience in the Rising of the Shield Hero uni...
4.7K 226 21
Our protagonist awakes in a run down control room with collapsed command consoles and fallen computers entangled by a nightmare of wires. He finds hi...
4.2K 142 14
[Story under heavy WIP, feedback very greatly appreciated. Title and description subject to constant changes.] "You never know what you truly have un...