Suddenly, There was Kai

By asallan

"I thought I was in decent control of my life, I thought I understood everything. I was so, so, wrong. How co... More

Author's Note and Back Ground
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author note
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30: final

Chapter 11

376 35 1
By asallan

Being at the Met Gala was everything I imagined it would be, Ian had been correct when he said that everyone would love me. I made so many new connections and met quite a few individuals who shared a common friend or business associate. Everything was still a whirlwind within my mind, but I was able to separate myself from it for the most part.

As the evening went on, I became resolved with what I needed to do next, and that was to find a way to see Kai and tell him everything. Little did I know I would soon come face to face with him.

I was walking through one of the exhibits on my way to the ladies room when I saw them.

I froze at first; I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was almost as if I had caused him to manifest before my eyes. He was wearing a mask, but I would know him anywhere. He was speaking with another man and woman. A woman who looked a lot like the one in the photos I had seen. She was speaking very animatedly about an art piece causing the two men to laugh.

As the sound of his laughter and the others voices reached me, I felt a trill all along my body and I closed my eyes. I wasn't ready to see him so soon, and I definitely didn't want to see him with his girlfriend.

I wanted to turn and make a run for it. His back was toward me, so I would be able to make a getaway, but I had already been holding it for the past hour and wasn't in the mood to locate another bathroom. I could forget about treading quietly as the heels of my stilettos made that impossible. I could only hope that I would be able to glide past at the greatest possible distance from him.

I took in a deep breath then changed my path circling wide close to the wall. The longer I walked, the more certain I became that this was a bad idea. The room was only so large; he was bound to see me. I had to hope that my change in hairstyle would be enough of a disguise as to not garner his attention. I took my hair from behind my ears so that it could cover the sides of my face and I kept my gaze downward.

I glanced up briefly. I was halfway there and he still seemed very much engaged by what his girlfriend was saying.

About thirty feet...

Fifteen...

It looks like you are in luck-

There was a loud gasp that seemed to echo throughout the space. "It's her! Look at that gown! That is amazing!"

I cringe, hard, at the sound of footsteps running in my direction and my shoulders sag in defeat.

"Excuse me, but your gown is AH-maz-ing!" She sang the last word like an angelic choir as she came around to stop in front of me. "I had seen you earlier and thought if I ever got the chance to tell you, that I would. Guys, this is the woman I was telling you about!" She said as she waved them over. "This golden mesh material is divine, and that bodice!" She sighed happily. "I am Seon-Joo, by the way."

"Gabriel." I said simply, the smile I held was getting heavier by the second. I could feel him come up behind me, but he had stopped a few feet away. The uneasiness in my stomach begged me to not turn around to see him, but it was inevitable.

"You see this dress right here Kai? From this moment, this gown is going to be the inspiration for my wedding dress. I know I told you that I had found it already, but-"

Wedding?I suddenly felt very cold inside. It was as if everything had faded away into a vast abyss and I alone remained. My breathing increased as my heart tried to pound its way out of my chest. Against everything, I slowly turn to face him and we stand there for what feels like an eternity just staring at each other. I could still hear Seon-Joo talking, but she sounded far away.

"Oh, where are my manners? Gabriel, I would like you to meet my fiancée Kai, and this fabulous gentleman right here is my younger brother, Joon-Hae.

"Nice to meet you." Joon-Hae said smoothly extending his hand when it was apparent that Kai had no plans to speak. Amazingly enough, Seon-Joo hadn't taken notice.

I gave him my hand and he shook it enthusiastically. I didn't want to look at Kai, but it seemed to be quite impossible. It also seemed that he had the same internal conflict. Of all of the events that I could go to, this was the one where I encounter Kai Shin. As I watched him, the thing I noticed most were his eyes. I always notice them, but today they seemed to have an entire story within them.

His lips moved several times in an attempt to say something, but nothing came out.

"-And I just love those wings!" She said reaching out to touch them. "Do they open?"

"Wings? Yes, they open." I reached into my clutch for the remote and pushed the button.

Seon-Joo squealed clapping her hands. "That is so cool! Listen, I know you just met me and all, but would I be able to borrow those? I think that I would like to take my bridal photos with those. What do you think Kai? Kai?" She eyed her fiancée for a moment. "Are you feeling ok? You don't look so good. What happened?" She asked as she left my side to join his.

"I think it could've been something I ate, but I am fine." He said, his eyes only leaving my face momentarily to reassure her. Unable to withstand his gaze any longer, I cast my own downward. It was no use though; I could still feel the weight of his eyes on me.

"Do you want to leave? It is getting late anyway and I still need to get up early for my flight back to Chicago." She turned back to me as she looked for something in her purse. "Gabriel, I am dead serious about those wings and I am very interested in your designer. Here is my card. Please contact me with the information; I will love you forever. Soo-Yi is going to be so jealous when I tell her about this."

"Sure." I said taking the card. "It was nice meeting all of you." I say with a half smile then I walked away as calmly as I could.

I entered the ladies room in a flurry. The door swinging open so wide that it hit the wall behind it with a loud bang. I entered the stall slamming the door shut then leaning against it. I had no idea that I was crying until I sniffed rather unattractively and the sound echoed through the space.

Why was I crying? I knew from the start that he wasn't mine. I was foolish to even think that kiss ever meant anything. No wonder he hadn't returned my phone calls, he kissed me and then proposed to his girlfriend; his beautiful, gorgeous, lawyer girlfriend as the business card she handed me revealed.

Of coarse he would choose her, she seemed to be better matched with him in the area of status and background. I remember Greg mentioning something about how that kind of thing is important.

Why would he be interested in someone as ordinary as me? The only thing I bring to the table is that we look nice together, but...

I sniffed loudly again, the sound echoing again off the walls of the seemingly cavernous space. It is of no use to feel like this, what was done is done. Oh, how I wish I could believe that.

I remembered suddenly the reason I sought out the ladies room to begin with.

After what felt like an eternity and a quick check in the mirror to make sure I hadn't totally ruined my makeup, I found the courage to leave the ladies room. If it wasn't for Ian getting worried about where I had run off to, I don't think I would have ever come out. I could only hope that Ian was still waiting where I had left him because if I suddenly needed to find him, I know I will end up bee-lining it back to the limo.

He was indeed still near the bar located in the corner of the classical exhibit. He looked slightly worried but his expression lightened considerably when he noticed me coming toward him.

"There you are!" He said taking my hand then raising it so he could press his lips against the back of it. "I was starting to miss you. Long line?"

I mustered the best smile I could for him. "Some what, it was more or less people stopping me to give me a complement." Believable enough.

He eyed me in the dim lighting. "Are you ok? You look a little worn out."

"I think the long day is starting to catch up to me. Not to mention my feet are beginning to ache a little." -Also a little bit of truth there. "I don't know how these chicks do these stilettos for hours on end."

"Well I think this whole thing will be over in another hour or so, do you just want to leave now?"

As tempting as that sounded, the chance of running into Kai again was pretty likely if they were also leaving and I knew that I would not survive another run in. I felt pretty dried out and hollow from the session in the ladies room. Seeing him again could put me into hysterics."We can stay for a bit longer, I can always take off my shoes if need be. I have already seen several other women who have done that already."

"Are you sure?" I nodded. "He wrapped an arm around my waist drawing me close to peck me on the cheek. "Just say the word then."

For a moment I was glad to have him there with me, his kindness and attention making me feel slightly less crappy.

The ride back to Boston was uneventful which was a shame because that meant that I was left alone with my thoughts until I passed out from exhaustion and anguish.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

85.1K 5.3K 57
My name is Nikito Travis. I'm a junior in High School. And I have an interesting problem. My very unusual and strange fear of beautiful men. Asian ma...
2.2K 216 27
He feared that she would always be an obsession to him until he finally decided to do something about it.
54.8K 1.4K 32
It was simple. She was beautiful. And I almost killed her. ---------- cover by AvaBrielle being edited
271K 9.4K 17
What if your roommate was an assassin from South Korea? This is an AMBW story ;)