Suddenly, There was Kai

By asallan

"I thought I was in decent control of my life, I thought I understood everything. I was so, so, wrong. How co... More

Author's Note and Back Ground
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Author note
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30: final

Chapter 8

542 45 6
By asallan

As it turned out, finding something last minute to wear was way easier than I had thought it was going to be, what a relief. Having a great friend here and there does wonders, though at first, it did look like the evening was not going to go well.

After waiting a short time while Kai changed into his tux, we began my search for an evening dress. Many of the shops were closed and it looked like I wasn't going to make it to the party. Kai was starting to get huffy, which made me laugh, which in turn made him even grumpier. He seemed to be taking this way too personal. After all, I was the one that wouldn't be able to go if I couldn't find something decent to wear. It had been almost an hour; I was about to call it quits and just go as I am, even though I knew I would regret that decision as soon as I entered the building. That was when Kai's phone rang.

When we arrived at a boutique thirty minutes later, the woman there looked as if she had been called back in. My suspicions were confirmed moments later.

"Are you Gabe?" She asked with some confusion, her eyes darting back and forth from Kai to myself.

"Yes, I am Gabe." I said holding out my hand. The look of relief on the woman's face was priceless.

She took it happily. "Oh that is wonderful." The woman said with a beautiful Spanish accent. "I thought Rena was pulling my leg when she asked if I could help her friend Gabe get something to wear tonight. I don't live far from here, but I was actually on my way to my studio. If this were a joke she was going to hear it from me. Then again," she said, as she looked Kai over. "I have helped a few Queens get ready for their revue." She said with a laugh. "I am Carmen, welcome to my boutique."

"Thank you so much for coming back to help us. She was starting to get annoying and pouty."

My jaw dropped as I looked over at him in disbelief, but there was a huge grin on his face. I took a light-hearted swing at him, but he managed to dodge out of reach. Carmen looked at the two of us as if she knew a secret.

"It was my pleasure, I can do almost anything for Rena. Take a look around, whatever you choose is yours."

"Thank you!" I took off around the shop with a giggle.

This was going to be tough, there were so many cute designs and I was finding it hard to make a decision. I didn't want to take too much longer, so I decided to pick five favorites and just try them on when normally I just find it and buy it.

"You have so many wonderful choices here, Carmen! You are making it very hard on a girl, so I am going to need to try all of these." I told her as started toward the changing rooms.

"Here, try this one too."

I turned to see Kai approaching me holding up a long, black dress, it was gorgeous. Not sure how I missed that one. "This is pretty! Wow Kai, I need to take you along with me for shopping from now on."

"I thought Greg was your shopping buddy?"

"He is, but most of the time, I end up helping him shop." I hear him laugh and since I am in the changing room where he can't see me, I allow myself a moment to smile. That sound can be such music to my ears. Well, any sound he makes is music to my ears.

It is really too bad the man is completely taken. I thought wryly

Even if he wasn't, you are, sweetheart.An exasperated voice answered back causing me to scoff at myself.

"This is the one, no need to try on the others." I say aloud as look myself over in the mirrors. "Seriously Kai, you are my new shopping buddy." I twirl around admiring the dress from all angles. It's a floor-length layered black chiffon skirt with an off-shoulder, mid-drift blouse that showed just enough. It really was too perfect.

"Good." He said. Then, "Are you going to come out anytime soon so I- we can see you?"

"Oh! Right!" I open the door and step out. I stand in the middle of the changing area.

Kai is sitting off to the side casually like he is used to this exact situation, phone in his hands tapping away. When he finally looked up, he almost dropped his phone making me laugh as he fumbled with it for several seconds.

"I take it that you agree with me? No need to try on the other dresses?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "It looks okay." He said casually, attempting to play off what happened seconds before. He tried to go back to what he was doing on his phone, but I saw his eyes following me as I gathered my things from the changing room.

"So, you choosing this one?" Carmen asked me smiling as well. "It looks great on you! I'll tell you this, if you really like those other selections, they are yours."

My jaw dropped. "Seriously? No, Carmen, that isn't necessary!"

She entered the stall to gather the other clothes. "It's no problem really. Besides, Rena is getting the bill. You can thank her later." She motioned for us to follow her to the counter. "Just tell me where you are staying and I will have the courier drop it to you first thing after the shop opens."

"Carmen, you are the best! I cannot wait until I wear all of this." I write down the address of where I am staying.

She sighs recognizing the hotel I am staying at. "Oh, that is a nice place."

"You should see her room, the view is ridiculous." Kai chimed in randomly making Carmen chuckle.

She placed the clothes into several gift boxes that she had pulled out from under the counter. "I can send the clothes you were wearing also, that way you don't have to worry about carrying them with you."

"That is great, thank you so much!"

"Alright, get going you two. If I know my sister, she has already messaged Kai here at least ten times." He snorted in confirmation.

Jeez, even his sorts are cute-

Stop it Gabe.

"Shall we then?" Kai asked as he approached me, then offered his elbow.

I stared at him for a moment awkwardly.

"I am volunteering to play the role of escort for the evening." He continued when he saw I wasn't going for it. "You're going to need me. Looking like that, someone has to be around to protect your virtue." He explained with all seriousness, however I still wasn't going for it. "Just come on!" He grabbed my wrist pulling me toward the door.

I could hear Carmen laughing behind us. "Have fun you two!" She called out slightly gasping for breath.

"This venue is beautiful!" I was in awe, as I looked around wide-eyed. The design of the building and hall was from the art deco era, so everything was grandiose and charming from the staircases, to the intricate designs around the entryways, to the chandeliers.

Everything, and everyone was draped in black and gold, some choosing to wear designs from the era, while others chose a more modern form of dress. The only variances of color were the various flower arrangements in vases and the white fabric hung along the walls, illuminated by color-changing lighting that turned the room shades of gold, then green, then blue, then pink, and back to gold.

"From the moment I saw it, I knew you had to see it." Came a voice in my ear.

In spite of the innocence of the statement, it managed to set my mind a blaze sending a tingling sensation throughout my entire body. I swallowed hard.

"I have seen older buildings like this one in New York City, but there are not many in Boston. None of them are this awesome." I exclaimed, still looking everywhere and anywhere but at Kai. It was times like this where I was glad for low lighting. What I did seem to notice however, was how he never took his eyes off of me, even when I wasn't looking directly at him.

"Ready?" He asked offering his arm again.

I took it this time without hesitation as I was still distracted by all that was around me. Moments later I realized, but I decided to allow it, as I was really feeling like a princess with my beautiful gown, handsome companion, and amazing party. We entered the anterior main hall where we were greeted by attendees who offered a choice of accessories for the women and hats for the men.

"This is great!" I said again as I chose a set of Pearl necklaces of varying lengths and a hair band with rhinestones and feathers. The woman helps me put them on before handing me a mirror. I couldn't stop smiling. "This is perfect! Thank you." I said giving back the mirror before I turned to Kai who is now wearing a hat. Gawd! Is there anything that he doesn't look hot in?"I love that hat on you." I say a little sheepishly as I try to not look him in the eye.

"And you look amazing."

I froze as my eyes met his and I melted inside. If only he knew what he did to me. There was definitely something different about him tonight. At first, I thought it was just my imagination, but even now as I look at him, I can see it in the way he is looking at me and in that subtle smirk that is playing at his lips. I mentally shake myself. "Thank you." I managed to say eventually. I looked him over as I raised an eyebrow suddenly. "You are being awfully generous this evening, is there, perhaps, some horrible surprise waiting for me at the end of the night?"

His smirk only became wider as he continued looking at me. "Maybe. One can never be too sure."

I narrowed my eyes at him, but he only laughed.

"Aw, you two are looking so cute!" Said a voice that I would recognize anywhere.

I turned suddenly to see Rena gliding toward us looking like royalty in a white flapper dress complete with a large black feather boa with sparkles of gold throughout. She was sparkling literally and figuratively with her diamond tiara, choker, cuff bracelet, earrings and rings.

She reached out hugging me warmly. "Gabriel, I am so glad that you could be here with me tonight! You are looking so beautiful." She said taking my hand and spinning me around. "I hope my sister was nice to you."

"She was more than generous, thank you so much, and thanks for allowing me to come to this event."

"You are more than welcome at any and all of my events dear, we are like family." She turned to Kai. "And you, handsome as always Mr. Shin." She said standing on tipped toes to peck him on the cheek. "Thank you, so much for finding my Gabriel and bringing her here." She took my arm and led us into the main hall.

"It was absolutely my pleasure, Ms. Castellano." He said all smiles.

If I had thought the other rooms were wonderful, the main hall was out of this world! Where the other rooms were all black with gold, this one was all white with gold. Antique crystal chandeliers hung at intervals from the iron framework that constructed the ceiling while a collection of glass panes along with an intricately crafted dome made the night sky visible in the center of the floor. There was even a large fountain off in one corner of the room. Faery lights illuminated potted plants and trees and lighted stars hung from the rafters at varying lengths.

There was a live band set up over to the left playing swing jazz to the large crowd of people gathered at the event as several couples out on the floor twirled away. This venue is amazing!

"I just absolutely adore that dress on you Gabriel, almost like my sister had you in mind when she designed it. Simply show stopping."

"I love it so much. Really. I would not have even seen it if it weren't for Kai, he was the one who found it and told me to try it on. Afterward, I told him that he has no choice but to come shopping with me from now on."

"Well done." Rena said to him with a seemingly knowing look on her face.

I suddenly got this feeling that I am the only one who doesn't know a secret. Maybe they will tell me later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 132 11
Two years of working a job she was overqualified for. Ezra had finally had enough! She wanted more for herself and her future. Seeing her boss's girl...
272K 9.4K 17
What if your roommate was an assassin from South Korea? This is an AMBW story ;)
1.6K 78 21
Sometimes things happen to us that we can't control. Sometimes we fight back. Sometimes it doesn't work and the consequences are more than we barga...
1.1K 33 36
She needed to be saved, he wanted someone to rescue.