Work This Out

Από ASE715

BOOK 2 OF 3 SHIELD is compromised, an evil murder bot named Pinocchio, and a Civil War! How will the Avengers... Περισσότερα

Chapter 1 ~ New Years
Chapter 2 ~ Goodbye for now
Chapter 3 ~ On your left
Chapter 4 ~ This isn't freedom, this is fear
Chapter 5 ~ Surprises
Chapter 6 ~ 1:03 a.m.
Chapter 7 ~ Monster
Chapter 8 ~ Ghost Story
Chapter 9 ~ On the run
Chapter 10 ~ Algorism?
Chapter 11 ~ The Winter Soldier
Chapter 12 ~ Bucky?
Chapter 13 ~ I am damaged
Chapter 14 ~ Remember your promise to me
Chapter 15 ~ When do we start?
Chapter 16 ~ Father, daughter time
Chapter 17 ~ Big Fun
Chapter 18 ~ Birthday
Chapter 19 ~ I found it
Chapter 20 ~ Language!
Chapter 21 ~ Not worthy
Chapter 22 ~ Pinocchio
Chapter 23 ~ Speed Racer
Chapter 24 ~ Safe house
Chapter 25 ~ Whiny murder bot
Chapter 26 ~ Unspoken thing
Chapter 27 ~ Saving the world again
Chapter 28 ~ Dead girl walking
Chapter 29 ~ Showtime a-holes
Chapter 30 ~ Avengers A-
Chapter 31 ~ Rage
Chapter 32 ~ Star Spangled Man With A Plan
Chapter 33 ~ Did he just say, 'Hi I'm Scott'?
Chapter 34 ~ Candy Store
Chapter 35 ~ Beautiful
Chapter 36 ~ Seventeen
Chapter 37 ~ Go back to sleep and starve
Chapter 38 ~ Can we not fight anymore?
Chapter 39 ~ Work this out
Chapter 40 ~ I couldn't honestly give two fucks right now
Chapter 42 ~ Criminals
Chapter 43 ~ Not the only Winter Soldier
Chapter 44 ~ We know a guy
Chapter 45 ~ Main Attraction
Chapter 46 ~ You did it, Nick Carraway
Chapter 47 ~ Did you know?
Chapter 48 ~ I'll be there
Chapter 49 ~ Detention
Chapter 50 ~ Graduation
Third Book is up!

Chapter 41 ~ Can't touch this

856 19 13
Από ASE715

Location: London

The funeral is being held at a church in London. Sam came along with us to the funeral to pay his respects. The weather is very dreary but it matches the mood for this occasion. Since Dad had such a close relationship with Peggy he scored Sam and I seats upfront with him. He doesn't sit with us at first because he was asked to carry her casket down the aisle.

I look around to see the church filled with mourners. Peggy impacted a lot of people's lives and they all came together to pay their respects to her. Those who are able to stand did and the choir of children sing as Dad and five others carry the casket, draped with a Union Jack, down the aisle. His eyes are red and puffy from crying and it was clear he was too. There's an altar in front of us with a candle burning by her framed photograph in black and white. Peggy's wearing her military uniform and the label reads 'Margaret Peggy Carter'. Once Dad and the other five people that are carrying the casket, set it down, they take their seats. Dad sits on the end of the first row on the right, then it's me, then Sam. I sit in between the two grown men.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words." The priest announces.

I'm looking at the ground, finding my feet very interesting and I see Dad doing the same. We don't see who walks up to the podium. I haven't known Peggy like Dad did, but funerals make me sad and I hate crying in front of people.

Sam nudges me and I look at him as he gestures to the podium. I look up to see Agent 13, aka our neighbor Kate from D.C., step up to the podium. I nudge Dad and he looks up to see Sharon, who's glancing at him, but quickly looks away as she takes a deep breath.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD... but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy." Sharon states. Sam and I look over at Dad as he takes a surprised breath. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She looks directly at Dad and me when she says that. Well that explains why she never told us. "I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said compromise where you can. But where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, 'No, you move.'"

After that there were closing words from the pastor, but as soon as the ceremony ended, Dad stood up. "I'm going to stay behind." Sam and I nod as he walks over to the casket. I know he's gonna wait until everyone clears out.

Sam and I wait for him out front on the church steps. It's drizzling, but a little rain won't hurt us. We don't plan on leaving him alone and we sit there in case he changes his mind too. Unexpectedly, Natasha shows up and walks right up to us.

"Why are you guys sitting in the rain?" She asks as she approaches us.

"We didn't want to leave him alone." Sam answers.

"You do realize he's inside then, right?"

"Why are you here?" I ask her.

"The same reason you guys are sitting here." Aww, Nat's being sentimental. "And I'd come to pay my respects." Sam and I nod.

"Who else signed?" I ask as I look up at the redhead.

"Tony, Rhodey, Vision."

"Figured," Sam says.

"What about Clint?" I ask.

"Retired." She answers.

"Wanda?"

"TBD." I nod and look off in the distance. "I'm going to Vienna after this. There's plenty of room on the jet for you two."

Sam shakes his head. "Pass." He says.

"Same here," I say.

She nods, knowing we already made up our minds. "The most important thing is staying together, not how we stay together."

"Yeah, but this is not it. I'm sorry Nat, but we can't sign it." I say speaking for both me and Sam. She nods and then walks into the church to talk to Dad.

Some time has passed. Nat walks out and heads to Vienna while Dad, Sam, and I go back to the hotel we are staying at. Sam splits off from us and Sharon decides to join Dad and me as we walk inside the hotel to make our way to our room.

"My mom tried to talk me out of enlisting, but, um, not Aunt Peggy. She bought me my first thigh holster." Sharon says to Dad as we walk through the doors of the hotel. I let them talk and linger behind but also listen in too because I'm nosy.

"Very practical." Dad answers.

"And stylish."

We make it to the elevator and Sharon presses the up button and waits for the elevator. They stand facing each other only about three feet apart. Honestly if he doesn't just kiss her already.

"CIA has you stationed over here now?" Dad asks her.

"In Berlin, Joint Terrorism Task Force."

"Right. Right. Sounds fun."

"I know, right?"

Dad nods and smiles at Sharon. I literally want to bash my head against the wall just looking at the two standing there having a casual conversation like there isn't any frickin' sexual tension going on between them.

"I've been meaning to ask you. When you were spying on us from across the hall..."

"You mean when I was doing my job."

"Did Peggy know?"

"She kept so many secrets. I didn't want her to have one from you." Sharon answers. Then the elevator arrives with a ding. "Thanks for walking me back."

"Sure," Dad says, nodding. The two stare at each other and I literally roll my eyes. I walk up behind Dad and push him as hard as I can and watch him stumble into Sharon. His hands lingering on her waist to keep her from falling over as he regains his balance. He looks back and glares at me as I mouth, 'You're welcome,' to him. Sharon has her hands lingering on Dad's chest and the two look at each other once again. I see Dad lean in a bit and I smile widely, trying so hard not to squeal.

"Steve, (Y/n)," Sam calls us and interrupts the moment. Sharon and Dad pull away from each other and look at Sam who comes over to us. "There's something you gotta see."

"Damn it, Sam," I mutter. He ruined the moment and my perfect plan I literally just thought of seconds ago.

Sam leads the way to the hotel room and turns the TV on.

United Nations Complex Bombed

Vienna, Austria. Site of Sokovia Accords Summit

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations." The news anchor says on the TV as the three of us watch the screen intently. Sharon comes in between us.

"I have to go to work." She says to us.

"So do we," I say as I continue staring at the TV.

Sharon leaves, leaving the three of us alone in the room.

"We have to find him first," Dad says.

"Shouldn't be hard considering seven billion people are on the lookout for him now," Sam says.

I furrow my brows, confused at something. "Why would he come out now of all times? And why bomb Vienna in the first place?"

Dad shakes his head. "I don't know, but the sooner we find him, the more answers we'll get."

Sam and I nod. "So what's the plan?" Sam asks.

"I'm going to call Natasha first. You two go to the coffee shop down the street. Wear disguises and order some food to try to blend in." Dad says.

"I was gonna order food regardless," I say.

Dad rolls his eyes. "Just go get ready."

Sam, Dad, and I change out of our funeral clothes and into some "disguises." Like I said before, a baseball cap, sunglasses, and an oversized hoodie is not what I call a good disguise, but we're just gonna roll with it. It fools most people anyway, but only because most people don't pay attention to details or others. Dad and Sam are wearing baseball caps and sunglasses while I'm just wearing an oversized hoodie so basically what I wear on a daily basis because oversized hoodies are awesome, snuggly, and fun to wear.

We arrive at Vienna and Sam and I go to the coffee shop down the street like Dad instructed while he checks up on Natasha. Sam and I sit at the counter and order food. I order all the food I can get my hands on and chow down like there's no tomorrow. A few minutes later Dad approaches Sam and me at the counter.

"She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asks him. Dad doesn't answer but his silence tells us our answer.

"Might have a point," I say.

"He'd do it for me," Dad says to us.

"1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you, usually wind up shooting at us." Sam says.

"They can shoot all they want, but they can't touch this." I smile and stuff my face with more food. I can practically feel Dad and Sam's eye roll. Sharon arrives and comes up right beside Dad.

"Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter Soldier goes to their gym. Most of its noise. Except for this." Sharon says and slides a file to Dad. "My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now, so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you," Dad says to her. She nods.

"And you're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight."

Only 9 chapters left of this book!

—ASE715

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

2K 91 30
An attempt to create an AI to better the world epically fails and now the heroes are forced to deal with a new threat, and experimented upon twins wh...
4.7K 250 17
𝐁𝐀𝐓𝐓𝐋𝐄 𝐎𝐅 𝐃𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 *SLOW UPDATES* ❝In which a little girl is cursed by the people she once trusted, and is forced to save the world. All...
155K 6.4K 38
Everything changes in the blink of an eye. One minute I'm having the time of my life with a new family, and the next, I am six feet deep hollow of em...
4K 181 43
After a mishap on a mission, it's decided the Avengers need to be monitored. But not all agree. And on top of all that, one is blamed for something...