Work This Out

By ASE715

BOOK 2 OF 3 SHIELD is compromised, an evil murder bot named Pinocchio, and a Civil War! How will the Avengers... More

Chapter 1 ~ New Years
Chapter 2 ~ Goodbye for now
Chapter 3 ~ On your left
Chapter 4 ~ This isn't freedom, this is fear
Chapter 5 ~ Surprises
Chapter 6 ~ 1:03 a.m.
Chapter 7 ~ Monster
Chapter 8 ~ Ghost Story
Chapter 9 ~ On the run
Chapter 10 ~ Algorism?
Chapter 11 ~ The Winter Soldier
Chapter 12 ~ Bucky?
Chapter 13 ~ I am damaged
Chapter 14 ~ Remember your promise to me
Chapter 15 ~ When do we start?
Chapter 16 ~ Father, daughter time
Chapter 17 ~ Big Fun
Chapter 18 ~ Birthday
Chapter 19 ~ I found it
Chapter 20 ~ Language!
Chapter 21 ~ Not worthy
Chapter 22 ~ Pinocchio
Chapter 23 ~ Speed Racer
Chapter 24 ~ Safe house
Chapter 25 ~ Whiny murder bot
Chapter 26 ~ Unspoken thing
Chapter 27 ~ Saving the world again
Chapter 28 ~ Dead girl walking
Chapter 29 ~ Showtime a-holes
Chapter 30 ~ Avengers A-
Chapter 31 ~ Rage
Chapter 32 ~ Star Spangled Man With A Plan
Chapter 33 ~ Did he just say, 'Hi I'm Scott'?
Chapter 34 ~ Candy Store
Chapter 35 ~ Beautiful
Chapter 36 ~ Seventeen
Chapter 37 ~ Go back to sleep and starve
Chapter 39 ~ Work this out
Chapter 40 ~ I couldn't honestly give two fucks right now
Chapter 41 ~ Can't touch this
Chapter 42 ~ Criminals
Chapter 43 ~ Not the only Winter Soldier
Chapter 44 ~ We know a guy
Chapter 45 ~ Main Attraction
Chapter 46 ~ You did it, Nick Carraway
Chapter 47 ~ Did you know?
Chapter 48 ~ I'll be there
Chapter 49 ~ Detention
Chapter 50 ~ Graduation
Third Book is up!

Chapter 38 ~ Can we not fight anymore?

929 21 5
By ASE715

"I can't believe he made us go to school instead of helping out!" I yell at Roy as I slam my locker shut. "I'm the one who found him in the first place!"

"Well we only have a few more months until we graduate and we need to keep our grades up." Roy tries to reason.

"I have managed to keep a 4.0 GPA throughout the school year even though I missed a few days so missing one more wouldn't hurt. Especially since it's Rumlow!"

"It's also a government law to go to school too." Roy points out.

"Fuck the government!" I yell.

"Keep your voice down," Roy says.

I shake my head. "I'll meet you in class. I'm gonna use the bathroom."

Roy nods. "Alright."

I make my way to the bathroom. I make sure that it's empty before taking an earpiece out of my pocket and putting it in my ear. If I can't be on the mission I want to at least hear what's going on. I turn it on and immediately hear Rumlow's voice.

"There you are, you son of a bitch. I've been waiting for this!" I hear Dad grunt so I'm guessing Rumlow's talking to Dad and punched the shit out of him. "Where's the kid?"

"Not here." Dad answers and I hear more grunts from both men.

"She's probably listening right now," Rumlow says.

Damn, Rumlow knows me too well. I so wish I was there right now but I'm stuck here in school while they get to have all the fun. I hear more grunting from the men.

"This is for dropping a building on my face!" I then hear Rumlow say.

It took everything inside of me to not burst out laughing because if I do I'll blow my cover. I can't let Dad know I'm listening instead of being in class. Again I hear more grunts until Rumlow speaks again.

"I know you're listening (Y/n). I have Steven here in a chokehold and won't hesitate to snap his neck unless you show your face here."

How will he know if I respond?

"I'm close enough to his earpiece to hear you speak." Rumlow then says.

Well that answers my question.

"You have until the count of three."

He can't be serious.

"One!"

He's bluffing.

"Two!"

I hear Dad struggling for breath and my stomach drops. He's not bluffing.

"Thr—"

"Alright," I respond. "Alright I'm coming."

Well at least I get what I want, to have some part of the fun. I hold my ring out and my suit comes out of it. I run into my suit and then take off to Lagos. I find Rumlow and stand in front of him. He's wearing some weird sort of metal armor that covers his whole body. He pushes Dad to the side and he falls gasping for air.

I turn and start towards him. "Dad are you—" I'm cut off by Rumlow hitting me in the stomach.

The force of the punch plus his metal armor makes me fly back and skid across the ground. Rumlow comes and towers over me.

"I've waited a long time for this!" He says and lifts up his foot.

I roll to the side to avoid being stomped on. I stand up, holding my side. I don't know if he cracked my ribs or just bruised me, but my side hurts so bad. He goes to attack me but I dodge all of his attacks and then put all of my speed into my right fist and punch him.

Dad recovers and makes his way to me. "I'll deal with you later." He says to me and then goes over to Rumlow who's on his knees and removes his helmet.

Even though I'm a distance away from the two I can still see Rumlow's scarred face from the side. Dad grips up Rumlow.

"I think I look pretty good, all things considered." I hear Rumlow joke.

"Who's your buyer?" Dad demands.

"You know, he knew you. Your pal, your buddy, your Bucky." Rumlow says, dodging the question.

What's he planning?

"What did you say?" Dad says.

"He remembered you. I was there and so was Little Rogers." Rumlow says and jerks his head in my direction. "He got all weepy about it. 'Till they put his brain back in a blender. He wanted you to know something. He said to me, 'Please tell Rogers. When you gotta go, you gotta go.' And you're coming with me." I see Rumlow about to press the trigger for what I'm assuming is a bomb in his vest.

I knew something was up, Bucky never said that. I run as fast as my legs can, to get that trigger away from him. As soon as I'm about to take it, he presses the button. Dad and I flinch back, ready to be obliterated, but Wanda shows up behind us and keeps the blast contained with her powers as Rumlow grimaces in agony. She lifts him up in the air near an office building. Time slows down around me as I see Wanda lose control and some of the explosion hits the building. I run inside the building to where the explosion is about to occur. I grab the people nearest the explosion and run them out of the building one by one since that is all I can carry and some of these people are heavy. I come back inside to see there are still a lot of people to save and little time. I look at the explosion that's about to erupt on the building once more to see it got bigger meaning I'm slowing down. I'm already out of breath, but there are people counting on me. I save a few more people before I collapse on the ground outside, time is still slowed down. I struggle to get up and make my way over to Dad who is looking up at the explosion waiting to occur. I know he won't be able to hear me, but I still speak to him.

"What am I supposed to do?" I say to him. "I won't be able to save everybody and I'm slowing down."

I already knew I wasn't gonna get a response. I sigh and run my fingers through my hair trying to think. This is giving me too much stress and usually when I'm this stress I cry, but there's also no time for that either. I mean I could still try to get the people out or put them in a safer part of the building. I just have to try.

Determined to finish the mission, I go back in once again. I stumble all over the place, trying to keep consciousness. I buckle to one knee but manage to get back up, determined to save these people no matter what. I save the people that I know will be affected by the explosion if I don't get them out. I come back in for another round, but that's when I give in and time resumes back to normal and the explosion takes place. It hits me, causing me to fly back and hit a wall, hard, because of the impact and since I was really close to it.

Somehow I'm still alive. There's a horrible ringing in my ears and my vision is very blurry. I try to get up, but all my muscles ache and resist my command to move. I'm wondering why I just didn't die from the explosion. Things happen for a reason, I guess, so there must be a reason for me to still be alive but I just want the agony to end. The ringing in my ears still didn't subside yet but I can hear a bit and right now I hear Dad's distant voice calling out for me in panic.

"(Y/n)!" Dad calls my name once again.

I try to respond, but all that comes out is a horrible cough that makes pain shoot through my whole body. I wince in pain and shut my eyes tightly.

"(Y/n)!" Dad says again, but it sounds much closer this time. I open my eyes, my vision is still a little fuzzy, but I make out his body figure as he comes over to me. "Oh God." He breathes. I give him a tiny smile, on the brink of losing consciousness.

He picks me up bridal style and runs out of the building with me in his arms as I lay my head against his chest.

"What happened? Why is she here?" I hear Sam asks as he swoops down and lands next to Dad as he sees him come out of the building carrying me.

"How the hell is she still alive?" Natasha asks. I can't look that bad.

"We need to get her back to the jet!" Dad says. "You guys help evacuate the rest of that building." He commands them. I see them nod through my blurred vision as Dad takes off towards the jet.

"I tried..." I start to say. My voice is hoarse and I start coughing. I wince as pain shoots through my whole body.

"Save your breath," Dad says to me.

My vision stops getting fuzzy and I can see everything around me so clearly. The ringing in my ears subsided so now all I hear is people screaming and crying for their loved one. I feel like that's on me, every bit of it. I wasn't fast enough to save everyone or strong enough either even though I almost died in the process.

Dad brings me to the jet and lays me down on a table. I turn my head even though it hurts, but I need to see how bad I look. My suit is all torn and ripped due to the fire. I have burn marks all over my body and blood is dripping from I don't know where. No wonder why Natasha asked how I'm still alive, but my speed healing kicked in the moment I got hit so it's doing its thing.

I look at Dad and give him a small smile. "I... told you... he'll be here."

The rest of the team makes it in the jet and we take off to the compound. Wanda sits in the corner in a fetal position, her head in her knees.

I hear her mutter, "It's my fault."

"Not... your fault." My weak voice says to her. She lifts her head up and looks at me with teary eyes as I give her a small smile.

"(Y/n) I say this with much love, shut your ass up and get some rest," Natasha says.

I look at Dad with a knowing look and he rolls his eyes.

"You're still not over that." He says.

I smile to myself and close my eyes as I drift off to sleep or unconsciousness. Either way I'm sleeping.

                                                                                       ...

My eyes flutter open and I look around. I'm in the medical bay of the compound and the whole team is gathered around my bed, some sleeping while others are doing their own thing. I look down to see I'm not in my suit anymore but in a pair of black shorts and a plain dark blue shirt. There are bandages on my left leg around where my calf is and one on my thigh on my right leg. There are bandages on both of my forearms that go up to my biceps and I feel another one around my stomach.

I try to speak, but all that comes out is a nasty cough which startles everybody and wakes up the people sleeping. When I'm done I finally regain my voice, "How long was I out and who changed me." I ask slowly.

"You've been out for at least five hours." Roy answers.

"Five hours!"

"Yeah. I knew something was up when you never came out of the bathroom so I called Natasha and she told me what happened." Roy says.

"Rumlow knew me too well. He knew I was listening on the coms and threatened to snap Dad's neck if I didn't show."

"I had that handled." Dad answers.

"I wasn't gonna risk losing you too!" I snap at him. He looks a bit hurt when I say that. "Sorry," I mumble.

"I'm sorry I put you through that (Y/n)," Wanda says to me.

I shake my head and I feel another stupid bandage around my neck. "It's fine Wanda. I tried my best to save everyone, but I was too slow." I look down to the ground, disappointed at myself.

"Well the good thing is that you're safe." Vision says and everyone nods in agreement.

I look over at Dad who's looking at the ground.

Sam notices and speaks up. "Anyone up for a movie?" He asks.

"I'm down." Rhodey agrees and one by one they all leave the room, leaving Dad and I by ourselves.

"Soooo...," I say.

"You shouldn't have come," Dad mumbles.

"He was gonna snap your neck!"

"And look what happened to you!" He snaps back. "You know how many times I almost lost you. I can't lose anybody else (Y/n). You're all I have left." He looks at me with sadness in his eyes.

"That's not true. You have Bucky and you have everyone here in this compound."

"Bucky is nowhere to be found and nobody in this facility can compare to you."

I smile at him. I love that he cares so much even though I'm not his biological daughter.

"You know you're grounded right?" He asks me.

"Oh come on! If I wasn't there then more people could've died in that explosion!" I defend.

"I get that, but you were supposed to be in class and you weren't." He points out. I groan and rub my hands on my face, even though it hurt to move my arms. "And I'll need all of your electronics."

"Even my laptops? What about finding Bucky?"

"I can get Sam to do that while you're in your room."

I slowly sit up and wince in pain. Dad tries to push me back down, but I swat his hands away.

"You need to rest more." He says to me.

"I can rest in my room," I say to him.

I get off of the bed and almost collapse to the floor if it wasn't for Dad to hold me steady. He walks me back to my room and takes all of my electronics. My laptops, consoles, and TV remote. He holds his hand out and I sigh as I give him my phone. He helps me to my bed and I just sit on the edge of it.

"Is this all necessary?" I ask him.

"Yes it is." He says, holding all of my electronics in his arms.

He closes the door behind him and I huff as I slowly lay back on my bed. All my muscles aching in protest. Well I might as well get some rest then.

Steve's POV

I join the others in the living room after taking (Y/n)'s electronics and putting them in my room. I plop down on the couch in between Sam and Natasha.

"What did you do?" Sam asks.

"Grounded her and took her electronics." I sigh. "She's in her room."

"Lookout. Rogers' parenting mode is on." Nat snickers.

I roll my eyes. "What are you guys watching?"

"Zootopia," Roy answers as he stares at the screen intently.

All I see is talking animals on the screen, but I listen in to try to understand the movie better. I doze off a bit during the movie, but Sam nudges me to keep me up. After the movie ends we all sit around and talk or do our own little thing.

"I think I should go check up on (Y/n)," Roy says as he gets up.

I get up too. "No, I'll check on her."

Roy holds his hands up in surrender and sits back down on the couch. I walk out of the living room and down the hall where all our rooms connect. I know she's probably mad at me, but I knock on her door anyway. I get no response though so I try again, but still nothing. I look down and sigh. Time for plan B, to sing my way to forgiveness since I know she loves music so much.

(Play song here)

"(Y/n), open the—open the door, please

(Y/n), open the door," I sing as I lean against her door.

"(Y/n), can we not fight anymore

Please, can we not fight anymore," Still no response.

"(Y/n), sure, you're scared,

I've been there. I can set you free!

(Y/n), don't make me come in there!

I'm gonna count to three!

One! Two! Fuck it!"

I open the door to see she's sound asleep.

I pout. "So much for singing my way to forgiveness," I mumble.

I shut the door quietly and leave her to sleep.

Your POV

I hear Dad close the door behind him. He thinks I'm asleep, but I heard everything. He knows me so well, trying to sing his way to forgiveness, but the thing is he's already forgiven because he's just doing his job as a parent. 

Civil War has officially begun. This is gonna be fun!

—ASE715

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

613 24 15
soɐɥƆ puɐ ɟǝıɥɔsıW ⸻Earth 08912: A similar universe to earth 616, but With a new character to change the course of the faith of our heros...⸻ Started...
89.6K 1.8K 28
BOOK 1 OF 3 (Y/n) (L/n) is a not so normal fourteen year old girl with powers. She was kidnapped when she was five, experimented on, but she doesn't...
2K 91 30
An attempt to create an AI to better the world epically fails and now the heroes are forced to deal with a new threat, and experimented upon twins wh...