Among The Darkness

By LunaMoon1947

Book #2 in the Into The Woods Series For the last six years, Tabari has been plagued by terrifying nightmares... More

A/N
Prologue
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Options
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty
Epilogue
Out Of The Woods
New Book

Nineteen

2.8K 148 17
By LunaMoon1947

The next morning, Tabari and Bowyn sat outside on their balcony eating their breakfast. Ambrose babbling and squealing as Bowyn bounced him up and down on his knee. Tabari could not help the wide smile that spread across his face as he watched his mate and son. Bowyn had taken a liking to the nicknames "Little Beast" and "Beastie" for Ambrose. He even made up a song to sing to the little boy as he bounced him on his knee.

"Stinky Beastie in a carriage. Rolling down the street. Little Beastie hits a bump. Making him bounce in his seat. Bump! Bump! Bump goes the little Beastie! Bump! Bump he goes! Bump! Bump! Bump! From his seat, he rose. Bump! Bump! Bump, oh his poor little rump!" 

Ambrose loved the song. Squealing and cooing as Bowyn sang the song to him. Oblivious to the fact that Bowyn's nicknames were meant to insult the little pup. 

Tabari turns back to his breakfast, taking a small bite. He felt so much better now that he had told Bowyn about his past. Even more so, that Bowyn had still accepted him even though he was used. The mark in the crook of his neck tingled with pleasurable sparks. He places his hand over the sensitive area, loving how he was now officially Bowyn's. 

Bowyn's eyes glow as he watches Tabari touch the mark. His mark tingled the more he watched his mate. 

Ambrose begins to whimper as Bowyn stops singing his song and bouncing his knee. His little cries knock Bowyn out of his trance, taking the pup into his arms and lifting him so he was settled on his chest. 

"What is wrong, Little Beast?"

Ambrose whines in response, his pink bottom lip jutting out and quivering the more he looked into his father's eyes. Bowyn smiles, blowing a raspberry on his chubby cheek. Ambrose's mood immediately lightens, giggling as he is tossed into the air. Bowyn catches him, delivering another raspberry to the boy's face. 

Tabari was nervous about what King Blake was planning. Especially if his mother was involved in planning. She was a conniving woman and needed to be stopped immediately. He was afraid for his family's lives. No one knew what Blake and Angelica were planning. Especially now that Efrem was dead. They had no way of knowing what to expect from the two psychotic wolves. All they could do at this point was prepare for war and make sure that the townspeople would be protected.

"Are you feeling alright, Tabari? You are looking a little pale." 

Tabari turns back to his mate, forcing a wide smile onto his face. 

"I am fine. Just a bit tired still."

Bowyn nods, not convinced in the least bit that Tabari was telling the truth. But he lets it go anyways, turning back to Ambrose. The little pup was yawning, rubbing his eyes with his little fists. 

"How about we go take a nap? The three of us. Since we are all so tired all of a sudden. I have to go to a meeting with my warriors to discuss what to do in order of an emergency. So I can only stay for a short while. "

"Of course. Let me get Ambrose into more comfortable clothing. I will meet you in bed." 

Tabari stands from his chair, taking his small pup into his arms and walking back inside. Bowyn remains seated, breathing in the crisp winter air. His head ached frequently with how much stress he was under. He feared that his kingdom would fall victim to King Blake.

Bowyn had contacted his friend Wilbur the day before. Wilbur was the King a small country off the coast of the Northern Isle's ocean. Bowyn had requested that Wilbur assist Ansel's Kingdom even though they had no alliance. As he spots the carrier bird, he knows that Wilbur's response to his letter was attached to the bird's leg. 

The small bird lands on the table, chirping as Bowyn reaches for it. He lets the bird step onto his finger, gently taking off the small tube which held the letter. He unravels the small scroll, smiling at the contents. 

To my dearest Bowyn, 

Of course, I will assist King Ansel's pack. In all my years, I would have never thought you would have asked anyone for help. You have always prided yourself on being an independent pack that fends for itself. The fact that you are aiding in another pack's affairs is proof that you are growing. I will send a great portion of my warriors over by ship. They should arrive within a few hours after you receive this letter. Every one of my warriors knows the risks that come along with assisting you and your allied pack. They are all willing to help, despite the risk of being slain. I have faith that you will lead our packs to victory. Please reach out to me when the war is over. I would like to discuss plans for an official alliance with you. Of course, I would never allow you to use my warriors without a price. I believe that it is fair enough to ask for. I wish you the best of luck and hope for very few fatalities. 

-Wilbur 

Bowyn breathes a sigh of relief, pulling out a quill and paper from his pocket and writing back to Wilbur and sending out a letter to Ansel. Tabari will be happy to hear that there would be extra help during the war. Another barrier between the townspeople and his family. 

He could only hope that the war was over soon. That Black slips up and ruins his plans. Blake was a smart King, but a King fueled by his anger. He was making a huge mistake, going after Ansel's pack. Especially now that Bowyn was mated to one of his nephews. And Bowyn was going to teach Angelica and Blake a very strong lesson. 

That no one messes with his family...

~~~

Tabari hums softly as he dresses Ambrose into his nightclothes. The soft fabric instantly making the young pup more relaxed. 

Although Ambrose slept in a crib in Bowyn's bedchamber, he had a separate one made up for the pup. One where his clothing and toys were stored until he was old enough to play with them. A small changing station was also in the room. So when Ambrose needed a nappy change, Tabari could come into the room to change him in privacy. 

The walls were covered in tapestries. Handmade by the townspeople and gifted to the small pup. Depictions of exotic animals and various landscapes woven into the threads with such care and intricate detail. 

When Ambrose was old enough to sleep on his own, a bed would be moved into the room. Although, Tabari wanted his little pup to stay with him forever. To cuddle with him and love on him. Oh, how we wished that Ambrose would stay this small forever. One day he would have a mate and grow a family with them. The thought filled Tabari with apprehension. 

Tabari finishes putting on Ambrose's clothes, smiling as the pup squirms and coos. He tickles his son's belly, Ambrose giggling at the feel of Tabari's touch. He kicks out his little legs and squeals happily, babbling and laughing joyfully. 

Ambrose's giggles stop abruptly, turning into stressed whines. The whines turning into wails. 

"Ambrose, what is wrong," Tabari asks. He pulls the pup into his arms, rocking him and rubbing his back in attempts to quell his cries. "Shh, it is alright, Ambrose. You are okay. Shh, my sweet baby, shh." 

Ambrose's cries only worsen, Tabari's eyes widening as a shadow begins to form over them. Tabari's body becomes rigid with fear. He turns slowly, afraid of what awaited behind him. As his eyes lands on the figure behind him, his mouth opens to let out a scream. A hand is placed over his mouth before any sound can escape. 

Ambrose's cries are silenced as a powder is blown into his face, his small body going limp in Tabari's arms. Tabari sobs, twisting to get out of the intruder's grip. 

Tabari's fear was so potent in the air that he could not smell if Ambrose was dead or unconscious. Tabari was scared. So terribly scared.

Bowyn... 

Please help me...

~~~

Bowyn sat on his bed, waiting for his mate and pup. He could not wait to tell him the good news that they would be receiving more help from another pack. His wolf paced in his head as Tabari's scent became clearer. The door creaks open slowly, only a small bit though. He could barely make out the outline of his mate. 

"B-Bowyn," Tabari whispers. He sounded distressed. Bowyn stands to approach his mate but Tabari's voice stops him. "No! No, please do not come any closer."

"Tabari? Are you okay?" 

"No. I-I will be fine though. I... am having a tough time. I am sorry but I think I need to be alone for a little while. I feel stressed and need a little alone time. Do not worry, I will take care of A-Ambrose..." Tabari's voice falters as he says his pup's name. 

"Are you sure that I cannot do anything to help you?" 

"I have not been dealing well with showing you my memories. I will be fine I only need a few hours to calm myself. I- I love you s-so much, Bowyn. I love y-you. And so does Ambrose. Goodbye, Bowyn..."

Bowyn is left alone and confused. Tabari was fine a while ago. He considers going after Tabari but decides against it. He did not want to anger or sadden his mate by going against his wishes. He knew that Tabari would be safe. 

But what Bowyn did not see from the other side of the door, was the knife pressed against Tabari's throat...

Hours later, Bowyn is informed that Wilbur's warriors had arrived. He calls on a servant to retrieve Lenore and Tabari as they would need to be involved in plans as well as the head warriors. 

Bowyn waits outside the war room, not wanting to start the meeting without his brother and his mate. He spots Lenore, smiling at his youngest brother. His eyebrow raises when the usually happy Lenore does not smile back. His cheerful facial expression is replaced with one of panic and worry. 

"Bowyn! I cannot find Akio anywhere. His scent is very faint. And his mind link is not working. I have tried to reach out to him but am met with resistance. It is like something is blocking him from contacting me. I fear the worst has happened. What if someone used a scent cloaking potion and snuck into the palace? What if Akio is in trouble?" 

Before Bowyn had the chance to answer his panicking brother, three servants arrive. The same expression painted on their faces. 

"Your Majesty! I cannot find His Highness. His scent is still there but it is not fresh. We cannot track him." 

Bowyn's heart stutters in his chest. He tries to reach out to Tabari through the mind link and his mating mark. But he is met with a barrier, making his head throb painfully.  And if things could not possibly get worse, a guard races over to Bowyn. 

"Your Majesty! King Ansel has sent a warrior over with a message for you. They cannot find Miss Arabella. It is like she disappeared. They are panicking because they have also spotted King Blake leading an army to their Kingdom. We need to send the rest of our troops over immediately. King Blake has another pack ally with him. We need to leave now or they will be greatly outnumbered!" 

"Gather the troops and go to King Ansel's pack now! Bring all the weapons and armor you can grab. Bring extra medical equipment as well. Try to intercept and ambush Blake's army before they make it to the palace if you can!"

"Yes Your Majesty!" 

The commotion within the palace was almost too much for Lenore. He was afraid, fearing the worst had happened to his sweet little Akio. 

"Lenore get to the safe room."

"But why?! I want to find my mate! I need to know if he is alive!" 

"We will find Akio. My mate and child are missing as well. I am terrified! But I need to fight alongside Rumi and his army. I will send a few warriors to search for them but in the meantime, I need you safe. I love you, Lenore. I need to go now."

Lenore sobs as he makes his way to the safe room. Worried about his eldest brother. His mate. Tabari and Ambrose. He did not want anyone to die. But anything could happen. War was unpredictable. 

All Lenore could do was pray to the Moon Goddess for the best possible outcome. To a quick war with few fatalities. Lenore wanted nothing more than to hold his little Akio in his arms. For his mate to be safe. 

He could only pray...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

445K 19.8K 27
~BOOK 1 Saviour series ~ **UNDER RECONSTRUCTION** Not everything is as it seems. Evan has never been loved, never been cared for. He has always been...
426K 17.9K 47
Book 2 - Gyres of Hunger (MxM) Celian Quillios was lost. He ruled a Kingdom, now after only a few years on the throne, heading to war. The vampires...
961K 39.3K 31
[Book #1 in the Blackwood Pack series] Currently in the process of rewriting (it'll be uploaded as a separate book) ________________ ...
4.6K 438 13
Fifth book in 'Into The Woods' series. Can be a stand alone. Blue's Mama didn't know, but he remembered everything. Flashes of his terrible past liv...