BETRAYAL

By princessuniy

Have you ever had someone you loved more than anything betray you? Inseparable, triplets from different mothe... More

Author's note
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
Final author's note

9

159 7 3
By princessuniy

Haroon was walking home, a lot of thoughts in his head. He saw a figure standing outside his house. He walked closer and saw that it was someone he knew.

He approached her, "Winnie!! What are you doing here?"

"What!? Can't I just randomly come and visit you?" She asked him jokingly.

"Of course you can. Wanna come in and have tea or something?" He asked before scoffing in realization, "I don't even think I do have tea or anything at all."

"Are you okay?" she asked him, concerned.

"Yeah I am," He smiled but his eyes said otherwise. Winnie didn't miss that, she also didn't miss the small dark circles under his eyes, neither his untrimmed hair that were a bit long from how he always had them, or the small growing beards from the usual clean face he always had, and his worn out, not so clean clothes and boots that covered his thin pale body. Her heart pained seeing his haggard look he was trying so hard to mask with his smiles.

"I'm so sorry Haroon," Winnie said sadly. "And I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner. I only heard of it few hours ago from mom Katherine."

"It's ok. Thanks for coming. And you didn't have to come this late, you should have just visit tomorrow."

"It's because I don't think I'll be here tomorrow."

"Why? Are you going somewhere? Is that why you're all dressed up," Haroon asked, refering to the bright red dress and high heels she was wearing.

Winnie looked down at the brand limited dress she was wearing, she hated red. She has never been a fan of it, especially the bright shade she was wearing.

"No, I had to dress up to be able to get out of the house," She rolled her eyes at that. "I'm going to get some fresh air. And clear my head, come with the new plan. Changing my parents while I'm at it."

"Are you running away from home?" Haroon's eyes widened.

"Yep," she snickered "I didn't even run away at home when I was a teen and here I am."

"Why? Did something happen?" Haroon asked in concern.

"They're forcing me to marry Calvin."

"Oh! That must be awful."

"Why? Isn't Calvin your best friend!!" Winnie was surprised at his comment.

"No, I meant it's awful to be forced to marry someone against your will," He said "But also You and Calvin don't look good together"

"Exactly. Why can't he just see that? He thinks he can just buy my love with money!" She rolled her eyes.

"I see he still hasn't changed," he snickered. "But Calvin is a good guy, it's just that sometimes his methods ain't right."

"I know! But I don't know why I just can't warm up to him, even back then I was always kind of uncomfortable around him," Winnie shivered just thinking about those times, those stares. So awkward!

"He can be like that sometimes," he smiled "I remember I myself was so uncomfortable around him when I first met him, he looked like the types that would always bully me. If it wasn't for Michael I don't think I would have ever befriended him. Michael was the one who brought us three together." 

"Is that why you guys don't talk nowadays? Because Michael is not here?" Winnie asked him, avoiding the sharp pain she felt in her heart as she mentioned his name, "Calvin didn't even know your Mom passed away, for a minute I felt sorry for him. He seemed shocked and hurt."

Haroon just looked down, It's true they haven't been as they used to be ever since Michael died. How could they?

"You guys shouldn't be like that! Michael would've wanted you guys to continue to be together even when he is not around," Winnie told him "I know what you guys mean to each other. Michael wouldn't go a day without mentioning at least one of you."

"I know," he smiled sadly, remembering how fondly Michael used to be of them. He treated them like his own brothers. He actually considered them his own brothers.

"Just try and make up, will you?" Winnie pleaded. Although she wasn't a fan of Calvin she knew the duo was like brothers to Michael and for that she wished them well.

"Okay," he smiled.

"That's good," she smiled back "Anyway I should go now, it's late."

"Where will you go at this hour? And dressed like that! My house is a mess but you can stay until tomorrow and leave then," Haroon suggested.

"No, I can't stay here. Calvin might come looking for me. And speaking of the way I dressed, can I borrow a hoodie?" she smiled sheepishly.

"Of course you can. Also wait I'll call a taxi for you. You shouldn't be walking around alone in the dark like this," Haroon told her before quickly running to his house and come back with a hoodie and a few dollars on his hands.

"Here take them, you will need as much money as you can get when you're are away from home," he told her after she finished to put the hoodie on.

Winnie looked at the money on his hand and gave him a hug , "Michael was right!! You're indeed the nicest person in the world. I should be the one offering you money, not otherwise. I'm sorry I can't do much for you. But I would be too shameless to take money from you instead." She freed Haroon from the hug and smiled at him.

"I'm not the nicest person in the world, he is wrong. I don't deserve to be called a nice person," Haroon could feel tears welling up in his eyes, he took a big breath to prevent them from falling. "You've run away from home and the first thing you do is come to my house to console me, you are the one who deserve that title. Also its not shameless if I'm the one offering. Just take it, it's not even that much. Don't worry about me, I have a lot of money left."

"Then show me."

"What?"

"Show me if you have some money left, then I'll take these."

Haroon looked down defeated.

"Exactly!" Winnie sighed "Don't worry Haroon, I have a lot of money with me. I had a stable well payed job so of course I had some money saved up. It's a pity I can't take my credit cards with me but I took all the cash I could find. I don't know what made you say earlier that you don't deserve to be called a nice person but you're a nice person. You're a really really nice person so please don't ever forget that. I know you're having a tough time right now but all this will pass. Just hang in there a little more and have some faith."

Haroon just looked at her and smiled. He was thankful for her words, even though he didn't believe in them himself it was still nice to hear them.

"And will you please call mom Katherine! Do you know how worried she is?? She is worried sick about you. Can you at least take her calls when you see them? Or call her back when you missed them!" Winnie reprimanded him.

"I'm sorry. I'll call her back," he sheepishly scratched the back of his neck.

"Oh, I already called the taxi, it will be here any minute," he told her in an attempt to change the subject.

Winnie thanked him.

"Those heels? Will you be alright with them?" he asked her.

"I know right!! I will just have to buy something on the way," she sighed.

"You won't be able to find anything at this hour. Wait here I'll grab something for you," Haroon told her before quickly running back inside. Winnie didn't even have a chance to object. She just looked at him as he disappeared and smiled.

Haroon came back a minute later with a woman's flats. He put them down infront of Winnie and stepped back

"Try them and see if they fit," he told her.

"Are these...?" Winnie trailed off, unable to finish the whole sentence.

"Yes they're my mother's. And you don't have to give me that look, I'm not that weak. I won't break just because you mentioned her."

Winnie smiled and tried the shoes, they were a bit big but not too much. They were much better than wearing those heels.

"Thank you," she told him. She turned her head when she heard a car horn.

"Yeah, that's the taxi," he told her

"I'll leave these with you, I don't need them," she pointed at the heels she was wearing.

"Okay. Take care. And call me when you reach where you're going."

"Okay, I will," she waved before entering in the taxi.

"Now what?" She sighed.

*******************************************

~7 years ago~

"Umm I'll go help Mike," Winnie said to Calvin before she quickly walked to the kitchen. She released a sigh of relief when she entered the kitchen. She was relieved she finally escaped the most awkward silent she has ever been in.

"What are you doing here? I thought you wanted to finish the game? Did Cal and Haroon bail on you?"

"No, not really. Haroon just stepped outside for a moment to speak with his Dad. And I thought I should help you." She said as she walked towards him "So what should I do?"

"You can help with the salad," Michael suggested.

"It's actually the only thing I can help with, why did I bother even asking?" She laughed, already relaxing from her previous tension. Michael laughed with her.

"So...what's with your friend Calvin?" She asked him after a while.

"Why? What's with him?"

"I don't know. I feel like he is more quiet around me, and he kind of...of stare at me," Winnie shrugged.

"I think the word you are meant to use is glare," Michael laughed. "Cal is like that. He doesn't know how to be nice to new people. But once he warms up to you, you'll get along well."

"And I don't think you've had it worse. Ask Haroon to tell you when he first met him, he almost shitted his pant." Michael smiled at the memory.

"Poor Haroon! I can only imagine. The six year old shy Haroon meeting the grumpy scary seven year old Calvin," Winnie laughed. Michael joined her.

"Anyway I'll talk to him and tell him to stop scaring you. I understand he can be scary at times. But trust me underneath that muscled giant there's a softie who is very nice and caring."

"You don't have to talk to him, I guess I was only overthinking. He wasn't actually being that scary. He has been nothing but nice to me. It's just me overthinking little details."

"I'm telling you you're lucky! He likes you. If he didn't like you he would've scarred you for life!"

"Oh then I'm honored!" She smiled.

"You three are so different, I don't even understand how you're friends!" She said after few seconds.

"We are not that different really, we've a lot more in common than how we appear outside."

"Like what?"

Michael thought for a moment, "We all love sports."

"Haroon doesn't. Plus didn't Calvin only started doing sports as a way to release his anger, you told me he got in a lof of fights before that!"

"Yeah, he did. And Haroon didn't like sports at first but he got to enjoy them over time and now he loves them. He now can't live without basketball," Michael reasoned.

"Maybe he does play because you guys still do, how can he bond with you guys otherwise?"

"Maybe, maybe not. Okay let's see..what else...oh Haroon and I love to read!"

"Michael, I hate to break it to you but Haroon is a nerd and you aren't. You only read when you find extra time while Haroon find extra time from reading. There's a difference."

"Cal and I likes to workout," Michael raised his eyebrows at her.

"Who are you kidding Mike! When was the last time you went gym? Calvin is literally living in the gym. You on the other hand go once in a month as if you're going to collect a rent or something, you should just be grateful for your blessed genes otherwis-" Winnie was interrupted by a handful of flour that was thrown on her.

Her mouth dropped in disbelief. "You did not just..!!"

Michael stared at her in amusement, "Yes I did. How dare you compare my love for workout with collecting rent. Well I admit I'm not a regular in gym but I do jog every morning, don't I? Plus who needs to go gym everyday or every week religiously when we've football or basketball practices almost everyday, Calvin is just overdoing it!"

"And you could not explain that without covering my face with flour?" Winnie raised her eyebrow at him. Michael shrugged. Winnie quickly sprinted towards him with both her hands full with flour and before Michael could realize what was going on and start running she poured all the flour on his hair. She had to tiptoe to do that but after looking at her work afterwards it was worth it.

As she admired her work and smiled Michael caught her off guard and hugged her, making half of the flour on his head to fall on her hair. Her smile fell as Michael's laugh fills the room.

"You crazy!" She playfully hit him on the chest as she tried to release herself from his embrace but Michael's hold was firm.

They were interrupted by a cough. Michael released her so they can look at the person and they were met with Calvin's cold glare.

"Hey Cal, did you need anything?" Michael asked him, a smile still on his face. Calvin glares might have been intimidating and scary to everyone else but not to him. I guess that's why they became friends in the first place. Unlike others who crumble when they meet his glares.

Cal didn't say anything, he just turned and walk away. Michael and Winnie looked at each others before they fell on another fit of laughter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 106 35
When you lay awake at night thinking about that special someone who managed to steal your heart or was your first ever crush. It's hard to get them o...
290 8 13
It started with two strangers a text message & now being best friends; what could this mean ?♥️ Do you ever feel if a best friend... could be your lo...
38.6K 1.4K 52
It was only her comments that made her feel worthless. Only one bully. Only her betrayal made him give up on love, making him ruthless. Only one woma...
Serena By Lana

Teen Fiction

11.6K 324 15
Serena and her family weren't close. As soon as Serena started high school she distanced herself from them. Her attitude changed and it was like she...