Run For Your Life

By sirtoadstool

Mental institution breakouts, breakdowns, murders, and more. The Losers are a dysfunctional group of misfit... More

Introduction
Little Girl
Isolation
Sane
Nothing Can Stop Me
Curious
Cold Blood
Taking Over
To Hell
They're After Us
Abilities
Ablaze
Warped
Rooftop
3:15
Happy Birthday, By The Way.
Freak
Paradise
Apologies
Go Fish
Absolutely Mad
Richie, What The F-Fuck
The Journey Starts Now
Blood Bath Bev
Welcome To The Freak Show
Something More
Unbelievable
King of Idiocy
Introduction 2.0
Brother
Messed Up
Beautiful
Sirens
Hum
He's Gone
Sedative
The Great Escape
Bourgeoisie
Coverup
Big Stuff
Oklahoma
Bright and Colored
Colorado
Hello
Fuckity
The Facility
Training Time
Introduction 3.0
The Desperate Attempt
Reunited
Power Submerging
Stanley Stanley
The Lab
Groundbreaking
Tranquility
Always Forever
Plans
Hi
Shit Show
Plot Twist
People Are Strange
Some New Info
Book 2 Out Now

Everyone's Last Choice

1.3K 68 127
By sirtoadstool

Song: Runaway by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

May 4

Beverly and Ben ended up stealing a vehicle two minutes into their walk. Ben insisted on the walk, but she grew tired and complained about her shoes being too wet and squishy. And, well, the man holds a place for her in his heart. He just can't say no when it comes to those eyes.

Plus the rain really was annoying.

"To mine first?" Ben's the one driving, much to her dismay. Now he might care for the girl, but he can only imagine Beverly behind the wheel. He hopes he only has to imagine and never live it out. It would practically be a death sentence, not that he would tell her that.

"Yeah that's cool."

Ben lets his eyes drift away from the road every now and again. He's just checking. "I wonder if she noticed I was gone. Have the police talked to her? Maybe going there isn't such a bright idea. Is it better to let her think I'm dead?"

The girl hums. "I don't know. But let's do it anyways. You deserve the chance to say goodbye to your mom. And she deserves to know you're not hurt."

"Yeah I suppose you're right." He's parked the car now.

"Is this it?" Beverly looks to the brick house and smiles. There's flowers and statues and chimes hung from the porch. "It's pretty."

"My mom is strange. Wait until you see the inside?" He's already unbuckled himself.

"Wait I'm going in too?"

Ben stops getting out and turns to her. "I mean you don't have to. I just thought it would be better to have you by my side rather than out here alone."

"I don't need protected." She looks to him with a straight face.

Ben laughs. "No one said anything about you being protected." He smirks and hops out. "So come on."

Beverly's cheeks heat, but she does as told. "Whatever."

Ben doesn't knock before entering. He waltzes right in to find his mother sat on her couch, watching the Golden Girls. He smiles at this, but his lips turn down at the sight of her IV.

Beverly knows what he means now. The house is completely cluttered, but in the most delightful way. Plants hang from the ceilings, as do lanterns. There are even more fairy statutes inside than out. Old Renaissance paintings hang from the walls. A suit of armor lingers in the corner. It's wonderful.

Beverly travels through the kitchen while Ben checks on his mother. The girl doesn't want to invade. So instead she checks out other things. Like the odd cookie jars and handmade bowls. Even the crocheted oven mitts are as cool as can be. In the corn of her eye she spots a candle collection, which brings out her curious side. She smells each one before deciding. Her finger lights up a bit as she burns each wick. She didn't even know she could do that.

Soon Ben is in the kitchen too. He smiles at the redhead, who leans against the counter, admiring the room. Her eyes eventually drift back to him. "This has to be the coolest place I've ever seen."

"I told you she was odd."

Beverly notices the bag in his hand too. "How is she?"

Ben's smile falters a bit, which makes Beverly wonder if she should've even asked. "She's great. A nurse comes a few times a day. She's still up and baking."

"Was she happy to see you?"

Ben sighs. "Yup. Which makes this even worse."

"Well you can keep in touch, surely."

Ben only shrugs. "I'm going to try and send over as much money I can when I can."

"It's going to be okay. We just have to lay low for a bit." Beverly tries her best to comfort. It's never been her strong suit.

Ben turns on his heels and heads for the door. "Yeah."

The girl swallows the lump in her throat. Ben is long gone, but she still mutters out a few last words. "It's gong to be okay."  Then she leans forward and blows, causing the flames to die.

————————

"What did you say your mothers name was again?" This slim nosed woman has been flipping through the files for fifteen minutes now. Every few seconds she'll ask this same question, always receiving the exact same answer.

Beverly rubs her head and sighs. "Maggie. Maggie Marsh."

"And you're Beverly?" Even the woman's voice is obnoxious.

"Yup."

The woman hums. "Let me check online."

Beverly sighs out of annoyance, but there's nothing more she can do. She's just glad the lady didn't call the cops when she came in. Of course she'd be recognized. But luckily the woman was completely naive and believed her sob story about how her dad laid his hands on her. Which is, in reality, the actual truth. Kind of. Just not for this exact case scenario.

"I've been staying with a friend until I turned eighteen. I didn't want them to take me back to him."

It was too easy, really. People eat that shit right up.

"I'm sorry, hon, but there is no Maggie Marsh in the system. Is there a maiden name I can use?"

"Uh, I think Bennet?"

The worker's eyes light up as she finally comes across the name. "Maggie Bennet, now Maggie Novak. Honey I couldn't find the will because there is no will."

Beverly shakes her head, obviously confused. "No she died years ago. My father always told me I'd get the will when I was eighteen."

"I couldn't tell you if she passed or not, but what I do know is that there is no will. I'm sorry, but there's nothing more I can do." The woman looks genuinely apologetic, but it doesn't stop the rage coursing through Beverly's entire body.

"W-Wait you said Novak? So she's still alive?" Beverly tries to wrap her mind around the situation, but it feels like she's about to burst.

"I'm sorry, dear. There's really nothing more I can say on the matter. You might try the police station? Maybe they can help you more."

Beverly feels her eyes twitch and she's turned away from the woman in a matter of seconds. "Thanks." She mumbles before stalking out of the building.

She slams the car door shut once she's inside. Ben wants to say something, but he decides against it when he spots her red eyes. Either he'll ask later or she can start the conversation. All Ben wants to do is drive.

The two are parked outside of the apartment when Beverly finally turns to Ben with glossy eyes, which are back to normal. "I didn't get the money, Ben. I didn't get anything."

Ben's brows furrow. "Did she not leave you anything."

Beverly grunts and squints her eyes shut. They're twitching again. She needs to stay calm. "She left nothing because she's still alive."

"Well that's good, isn't it?" Ben actually doesn't know if it's good or not.

Beverly only shrugs, eyes still closed. "I don't know. We used to be so close. I loved her more than anything. And honestly I think it's easier believing she's dead than knowing she's out there without me. Knowing that she left me behind. So on one note, I miss her. But on another, I don't think I could ever forget that. Then again, maybe this Maggie isn't even my mother. And what am I even going to do with that information?"

Ben's lips purse as he tries to come up with the best solution. "We could try to find her."

Beverly scoffs. "Yeah right. If she left me then, what makes you think she wants to see me now? I've always been the last choice."

Ben does something unsuspected. He brings her into his arms and holds her tight. "You're far from the last choice, Beverly Marsh. In fact, you're my only choice."

Beverly sobs now, which she always hates doing. The redhead hates letting herself become so vulnerable. But now, resting in Ben's arms, she starts to think maybe it was just the people she was being vulnerable around.

Maybe she should find her mom. Or at least find whoever this Maggie Novak is. Up until now her life has seemed meaningless. But with these powers and these people, and even a new mission? There's no way any of this is just random. How could she think that now?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

764K 42.2K 127
don't read this if you don't wanna hate richie started / 20.1.18 finished / 2.7.2020
6.3K 192 19
Still not knowing each other, the members of the Losers Club have been sent to an uncommon camp, without a clue about its reason. Once there, they al...
50.9K 3K 28
𝒂 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒂𝒃𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒐𝒚 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒏𝒂𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒆 𝒂𝒃𝒊𝒍𝒊𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒐𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒇𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒉𝒊𝒎.
185K 6.1K 59
The year is nineteen ninety three. Eddie is popular, kind, loved, and very pretty. Richie is nerdy, loud, funny, and very awkward. But these boys do...