Emerald Rain

By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Ever wonder how the events in Fire Emblems Three Houses would have unfolded if Byleth had never been offered... More

The Beginning:
Three Houses:
The Blue Lions:
The Mock Battle:
A Day of Monastery Life
Eliminating the bandits:
Garland moon:
Castle Gaspard:
The Holy Mausoleum:
The Rite of Rebirth:
The Crest of Flames:
The Chalice of Beginnings:
Verdant Rain Moon:
Conand Tower:
Vanished:
Horsebow Moon:
The Battle of The Eagle and Lion:
Zanado Canyon:
Remire Village:
The White Heron Cup:
The Ball:
Fate:
Awakening:
The Holy Tomb:
Path of Thorns:
Reunion at Dawn:
The one-Eyed Beast:
Protecting Garreg Mach:
The Beast:
Ailell, The Valley of Torment:
The Master Tactician:
The Great Bridge of Myrddin:
Great Tree Moon:
To Gronder Field, Part One:
To Gronder Field, Part Two:
Gronder Field, Part One:
Gronder Field, Part Two:
The Aftermath of War:
Preparing for Derdriu:
Alliance in Peril:
Protecting Derdriu:
On Trek to a New Dawn:
Rumors of a Reaper:
The Sealed Forest:
The Baron Dominic:
Strategy meeting:
Preparing for Fort Merceus:
Deception:
The Battle at Fort Merceus:
Javelin of Light:
To Garreg Mach Monastery:
Jeritza Von Hrym:
Enbarr Strategy Meeting:
A Day at the Monastery:
To Enbarr:
Enbarr the Imperial Capital:
The Fall of the Adrestrian Empire:
Heavy is the Head That Wears the Crown:
A United Front:
The Dragon that Lurks in the Shadow:
Two Sides of the Same Coin:
The Church of Seiros:
The Princess of Brigid's request:
The Foreign Land and Sky
A Prince's Proposition:
Arianrhod Part One:
Arianrhod Part Two:
Love and War:
The Cool Before the Storm:
Tailtean Plains
Reclaiming Fhirdiad:
The Beginning of the End:
One Year Later:
The Return:
Those Who Slither in the Dark:
For the Freedom of Fodlan:
The End!

Into the Abyss:

699 13 3
By OhNoMySphaghettiOs

Byleth:

The students had been walking in the tunnels in silence for a while before Edelgard spoke up "Hmm... it seems this place is more than a simple passageway. There is clear evidence of human habitation" Edelgard said while looking around the passage

"People living under Garreg Mach..." Hilda murmured "Oh! My brother used to tell me stories like that back in his academy days. Hilda said

"Ah so Holst attended the academy as well, then? Claude asked

"Of course. Back then, there were tons of rumors about what goes on below Garreg Mach." Hilda said "Something about tons of passages and houses beneath the town, all inhabited by super shady people" She added with a shudder "And it had a real intimidating name too! Ah, what was it again..." Hilda said "I think it was called... Abyss?!" Hilda said with an unsure tone.

"That's two points for the pink haired gal! Welcome to the Abyss, strangers" A loud voice called out, The students turned and saw a large buff man with crazed black hair and brown eyes.

"Identify yourself" Dimitri shouted while drawing closer to him, "That uniform..." He said while staring at the strange man in-front of them.

"Welcome, curious students of the Officers Academy! What brings such, fine upstanding surface dwellers to our humble abode" The man said.

"We're tracking someone who was creeping around the monastery," Claude said.

"Our business here does not concern you" Edelgard snapped "Do you intend to let us pass?" she added.

"Ahaha!" A woman with curly blonde and purple hair stepped out besides the man laughing "Such indulgence simply cannot be permitted" she said "Your words may fool the fool, but I cannot be so easily deceived!" The woman laughed loudly "I Constance Von Nuvelle, shall divine your true intentions" Constance stated. "You are here by order of the church... which cruelly plots to eliminate the inhabitants of the Abyss!" She shouted.

"You think the church wants to eliminate you?" Byleth asked, looking to Constance with questioning eyes. while Edelgard muttered something under her breath.

"I don't care what the reason for this brawl is. A fight's on the menu, and i'm ready to feast" The man stated, "Let's get right to it, yeah?" he added.

Dimitri turned to his classmates "By the look of them, I'd wager they're experienced combatants. I'm not certain this is a wise endeavor" he said

"I was thinking the very same thing. Time to make a strategic retreat, then?" Claude suggested. As Claude said this another man stepped out, he was very feminine looking and had both purple eyes and hair.

"Turning back already?" The new man said, "Oh, but you'll make me so sad" he whined with a grin then said "Now why would you wanna do that?". they drew closer to them revealing another woman she was tan and had pink eyes and hair, the man continued on "Everyone here is so starved for amusement. They've been waiting for a good fight" he added.

"Wow, look at that" Claude said "A flawless example of a surprise attack" he said sarcastically "These aren't your run of the mill thugs" Claude added

"Claude" Dimitri groaned "This isn't the time to be impressed by our enemy" he scolded "We must find a way through at once" Dimitri said sternly.

"Wait..." The first man said turning towards Claude "Claude, is it?" He asked "As in the brand new heir of House Riegan?" the man said in shock.

"Who, me?" Claude asked "Nah. Wrong guy" he added "Claude's a common name in Fodlan, it's just too dashing for new moms to pass up" Claude said. "It's even a popular choice for fake names" he added with a wink "Just a good, solid, all- purpose moniker, you know?" Claude said looking at the man.

"Right" the man said "Except there's only one Claude enrolled at the academy this year" he said, then added "Looks like that's you".

A shocked look fell over Claude's face "How do you even know that?" He said surprised.

"Ha, you just gave yourself away, pal" the man laughed "Looks like my luck is finally taking a turn for the good" he added, His face turned serious "All right, so your choices are as follows" he shouted "Lineup for the beating of a lifetime" he said menacingly "...Or let us lock you up like the good boys and girls you undoubtedly are" he added.

Claude looked at Dimitri "I have no clue what this guy's going on about, but it looks like a fight is in order" He said, then sighed "And it's pretty much all my fault". He then turned towards Byleth and Edelgard "There is a saying from the east about fighting a flicker with a flame" Claude said "Seems pretty applicable right now" he added.

This resulted in the first man cheering for the fight that was about to take place "Finally! Let's do this already!" he shouted "Prepare to face the Almighty King of Grappling!" He yelled.

Hilda squinted at the man "Hmm... Why can't I shake the feeling that I know that wild man?" She mumbled, before the four split up to cover the exits so they couldn't escape.

Byleth looked around and noticed that more thugs had shown up to help them, Crap she thought. "Bet you wish you didn't follow those two down her now huh" Sothis teased and Byleth told her to zip it. No matter how well trained they were at whatever angle she looked at it from they were at a disadvantage. This won't be a regular fight Byleth thought, we're going to be fighting for our lives. She sighed frustrated by this turn of events.

"Same here Byleth" Hilda said walking up next to her, "This battle is going to suck!" she whined "Stupid Claude" she shouted while glaring at him "I knew I should have come up with an excuse to get out of this" Hilda added. The conversation didn't last for long, because a few of the thugs had already begun to close in on the students.

"Brace yourselves" Dimitri shouted, while the students fought off the thugs Ashe shouted out something about the gates looking complicated but that there must be a way to open them. Once they managed to fight off the thugs that surrounded them in that area they found a lever, but to no avail since it didn't open anything. This attempt at trying to open the gates led to the purple haired man calling out that only they were able to work the machinery. The first man from earlier popped out with a pair of gauntlets that looked an awful lot like a hero's relic. He ran at Edelgard swinging, she managed to miss his first hit but the second time around she wasn't so fortunate and he got a blow in, then Edelgard swung at him with her axe. The man looked stunned for a second that someone as petite as Edelgard could manage to deliver such a nasty blow. While he was distracted Ashe jumped in and shot him twice with his arrows.

"Argh" The man winced "You guys are tougher than you look" he said as he retreated from the fight.

Since there was no exiting through that gate the only option was for them to keep moving onward. They soon reached a hallway that only a few people could fit in at a time. Byleth, Claude, and Dimitri were the first students to enter it, and as they did the pink haired woman said something about there being an easier way to handle this and then a snake looking monster showed up. Byleth made the first move on the creature attacking it with her battalion in an attempt to dismantle it's shield. Dimitri then followed in her lead doing the exact same. The two of them managed to take down it's shield and then Claude swooped in and killed it off. The three of them continued on, once they were almost to the end of the hall Constance let out a loud laugh and then two more thugs came out from behind, Lucky for the three Ashe managed to take one of them out as he began to enter the hallway and Linhardt and Hilda managed to take out the other one, And Edelgard caught up once there was more space in the hallway.Once the students got out of the cramped passageway they found themselves in a small room.

"Dimitri look out!" Byleth shouted as a miasma ball came hurling right at Dimitri, he barely managed to dodge the attack in the nick of time. Dimitri thanked her, Byleth was thinking over where that attack could have possibly come from when she noticed on one of the walls it had a massive gap in it. Byleth approached it and sure enough this is where the attack came from, she peered over and saw the pink haired woman from before. "Claude, Ashe" Byleth hissed, the two came to her call "I need you both to attack her with your arrows from over here" Byleth said. The two nodded and began to follow their orders and got closer to the wall to attack. Claude struck first, he managed to hit the woman once but with his second hit he missed her completely. Byleth heard him curse under his breath.

Next Ashe took aim and shouted "I won't lose" as he struck the woman with a critical attack.

"This isn't fun anymore" the woman whined, "I'm going to retreat" she yelled towards Constance and the purple haired man, before she fled. The seven of the students continued on through another passageway that was nearby, there they ran into a few archers and mages. They fought with them until the students emerged victorious from the fight.

"Prepare yourselves" A shrill voice shouted "For I Constance Von Nuvelle will not lose" Constance laughed as she lunged an attack at Ashe. She landed a good blow onto Ashe , however Ashe was quick and attacked her right back and with one hit he managed to disarm the Pegasus she was riding on. Constance groaned as she fell to the floor "It's not that I'm defeated" she winced, then added "I'm just temporarily grounded"before she fled off to the sidelines with the other two. With Constance now out of the way a group of roughs being led by the purple haired man began to surround the students. The roughs attacked first and once they were defeated the man came and launched an attack at Byleth, he was fast and managed to strike her twice with his sword. Byleth fought back and managed to get a few of her own hits in, then Dimitri swooped in to finish the man off.

"Heh heh" the man laughed "Maybe I got a bit carried away, Nah..." he said while he waited for his three companions to join him to talk to the students.

"It's safe to say we won this round, don't you think?" Claude said approaching the four strangers, "Uh... what was it?" he asked.

"The name's Balthus" the first man said "I don't lose too often, but I can at least recognize what it looks like" Balthus added.

"Balthus... Balthus..." Hilda murmured then her head shot up and she shouted "Balthus?!" with a shocked expression. "From house Albrecht?!Baltie is that you?!" she asked "Whew, haha! You look, uh... old" Hilda laughed.

"Huh? Do we know each other, pal?" Balthus asked while examining Hilda "Wait a minute... That hair. Those eyes. That voice!" He shouted "Hilda?!" Balthus said in disbelief "I don't believe it! Holst's little sis?" he added with shock. "Heh" he laughed "I don't believe it. Little Hilda herself. Why didn't you speak up sooner?" Balthus laughed.

"Baltie" Hilda shouted "This isn't the time to catch up" she added "What would Holst think?! I bet you didn't even consider that, did you?" Hilda scolded.

"Yeesh... I dunno, but it wouldn't be nice" Balthus said embarrassed. Hilda just stared at him with a disappointed look on her face. "Look, sorry. Ok? Just don't tell Holst" Balthus begged, "If he knew I raised a hand against you, he'd have my head" he added.

"Ha! Like he'd stop at your head" Hilda scoffed "Fine though, just this once and just for you I'll keep quiet." Hilda said with a stern expression. Byleth thought about how this is the most serious she's ever seen Hilda normally she is so carefree.

Claude interrupted their conversation "Now that that's sorted..." he said questioningly "What did you mean about it being lucky that you found me?" Claude asked Balthus.

"Oh, that" Balthus said while scratching the back of his head. "Well one of the guys I owe gold to is Count Gloucester" he said "And he said something about forgiving my debt if I could dig up some dirt on you, Figured this was my shot" Balthus said with a shrug.

"Aha, so it was purely selfish" Claude said "But then, was a fight really necessary?" he asked.

"Really was. Best way to acquaint yourself with someone is to get into a tussle with 'em" Balthus stated "That's common sense right there" he laughed.

Byleth chipped in "That doesn't sound right..." she said while shaking her head.

"That's the correct response for a reasonable person" The purple haired man said "We're not all as far gone as Balthus here" he added while laughing. Balthus chipped in saying something about having to be sure that the church didn't send them. "Hmm... What could he mean by that" Sothis chipped in, Byleth told her to quiet down so she could listen. The four of them began to tell the students how the Abyss is being targeted by mercenaries, and they don't have the slightest clue as to who is pulling those strings. The purple haired man apologized for them attacking them, he just had to be sure that they weren't puppets for the church. Once that conversation began to die down Constance began telling them about the Abyss and how it is a haven to those who are shunned on the surface. "Enough with the niceties, Let's get these surface dwellers out of here" the purple haired man said.

"Nonsense! Intolerable nonsense!" Constance shouted "Why-ever would we let slip this chance to acquire their aid" Constance said.

"You need our help?" Byleth said surprised at the blatant manner that Constance asked. The four of them began telling them how there are others who live in the Abyss who do need protection from what is going on. Constance suggested that they look around and they will surely come to their conclusion.

"Right, what she said" Balthus said "Take a look around, think some thoughts. Consider yourselves our special guests" he added before turning around and leading them to the Abyss.

Byleth looked around the Abyss, it was dark but that's pretty much a given image based off of the name. It wasn't so dark that you couldn't see it just had a darker air to it than the one that the monastery had. Byleth found it interesting that there had managed to live a whole other society just beneath their feet, she had heard the rumors before but she had always imagined that it was just that, a rumor and nothing more. After a bit of exploring Byleth found herself in a room that seemed to be a classroom. In there Byleth saw Edelgard and Constance talking about something regarding the empire, and in the front of the room was the purple haired man and the pink haired woman. Byleth approached the woman first.

"Hey there new person, want my advice?" the woman asked and Byleth nodded "Don't wander too far off the beaten path, Abyssians like their privacy if you go snooping around there's bound to be trouble" she said "Wait" she said then paused for a second "Did I introduce myself? My name's Hapi" she introduced. Byleth followed her lead and introduced herself as well "Well I guess it's best we become acquainted with each other now huh?" Hapi said and Byleth nodded in agreeance. Byleth then went over to converse with the purple haired man, he seemed to be the leader of these four Byleth thought.

"You're not a holy knight, and you don't seem all that special, but you're certainly mysterious especially since you wield that Hero's Relic" the man said as Byleth greeted him "Yeah, I've heard all about you. But I never figured I'd see you down here, chasing after someone and getting lost in the process" he added, Byleth was a bit surprised that he had known about her prior to their meeting.

"What is this place?" Byleth asked.

"This is the classroom for the Ashen Wolf House '' he said then added "Just so we're clear, we're not affiliated with the officers academy", this confused Byleth a bit but she thought to hold back her questions for the meantime. "Since we're not a part of the academy, it's really just a place for us. Can't go to the surface either. We've all got our reasons'' he said "We're a unique bunch from all walks of life, Once you get to know us I'm sure you'll love it here" he added with a smile, Byleth stared at him for a moment. "What? Did I forget something?" he asked "Oh- right I'm Yuri'' he said, and Byleth nodded and bid him goodbye for the moment.

Byleth continued looking around the Abyss and she found Hilda alongside with Balthus, she chatted with them for a bit about how Balthus is a former minor noble turned outlaw. Once the conversation with the two of them died down Byleth took off down a street like path that an Abyssian told her was called Burrow street.

There she saw Claude, Byleth went up to him "Hey Byleth" he said once he'd seen her heading towards him, she greeted him back. "Who knew an entire town was hiding behind the monastery?" Claude said in shock "And a secret fourth house to boot, secrets upon secrets- oh, I'm just itching to know them all!" he said with a laugh, then his face turned serious "I'm sure Rhea knows all about this place, Gods, how many secrets does that lady have?" Claude said in a serious tone.

"Too many if you ask me" Byleth said, Claude was about to say something but Dimitri came and interrupted their conversation. "Hello Byleth" Dimitri said, turning to her, then he turned to Claude "Hello Claude", Claude greeted him back before excusing himself from the conversation. Dimitri looked a bit hurt and then he turned his gaze back towards Byleth "What do you think Byleth? This is a most... unique town, is it not?" Dimitri asked and Byleth nodded in agreement. "It's incredible really that those who faced opposition on the surface are able to find sanctuary here" he said happily "Oh, not to say there is no helping the situation in Fodlan" Dimitri said "To do just that is our duty and honor" he added with pride "Even so, I find the idea... rather lovely" Dimitri said in a soft tone as his face turned a light shade of pink.

"I understand" Byleth said and looked into Dimitri's eyes "A place where those who are rejected for whatever their reasoning may be can find peace... It is lovely" she added. Dimitri looked surprised by what she had just told him and he broke eye contact with her and looked down at his feet.

"Thank you Byleth" he said as his face began to take on a red pigment, seeing the prince like this gave Byleth a weird feeling in her stomach. "I'm grateful that you understand," Dimitri added, Byleth nodded and walked away.

What was that Byleth thought "Oh my" Sothis called out "You really don't know yet do you?" she said with laughter. Know what Byleth thought, "Nope! I won't tell you!" Sothis teased "This is much too fun" she added with laughter. Fine keep your secrets then Byleth thought to Sothis along with a few obscene words "How vulgar" Sothis pouted. Byleth once again continued her endeavor in exploring the Abyss, she saw there was a library which was full to the brim. Linhardt told her it was full of books that were banned from being in the monastery, Byleth made a mental note to check it out more thoroughly with Claude later on. She passed by a gate and saw Yuri there talking with some of his men, they were giving him a report on the mercenaries that they had followed them into the Abyss and that they were almost in position. Byleth approached him "What was that about?" she asked.

"Oh it's you" Yuri said turning to Byleth "I was just heading off to ambush our attackers, you'll help with that won't you?" he asked and Byleth nodded, the rest of the monastery students approached and Yuri filled them in on the details of that was going on and the all agreed that they would help as well. Yuri led them to an area further underground that looked like an arena of the sort. Before the fight began Yuri and the other three began telling the students about someone named Aelfric who helps look after the Abyss. They quieted down, they heard the loud voices that came from the mercenaries, the battle was about to begin.

(After the battle)

A rogue came running up to Yuri and told him that that was the last of the mercenaries. "Good, Finally" Yuri said, then he turned to the students "Thanks for all your help everyone" he added, as he said that a mercenary came running at Yuri saying something about taking him down.

A man with dark brown eyes and hair warped into the arena by Yuri "I will not allow it" he said.

"Aelfric, you're here! Well, shall we capture this fool?" Yuri suggested. They defeated the last mercenary and the four Ashen Wolves surrounded Aelfric singing his praises over his arrival.

"I am relieved that I wasn't too late, I do hope my presence proved useful" Aelfric said, Balthus gave him gratitude saying how they needed the back up.

"So you're Aelfric..." Byleth said while examining him, he turned and looked at Byleth with surprise.

"Byleth" he stammered "I do believe this is the first time that our paths have crossed, is it not?" he asked "Of course I have heard all about you from her Grace, the Archbishop" he added "Allow me to introduce myself I am Aelfric, the church has granted me custodianship of the Abyss". Aelfric said"

"You look after the Abyss?" Byleth asked.

"Indeed, and despite my responsibilities, I am but a humble monk" Aelfric said. Aelfric then went on to tell them how he feels that it is his responsibility to care for those who live in the Abyss since they have nowhere else to go. He also told them how Lady Rhea and other members of the church find the Abyss to be a nuisance.

"A nuisance?" Byleth asked.

"I'm afraid so... those with the church who would love to see the Abyss purged are swiftly growing in number" Aelfric said. The Ashen Wolves began to go on a ramble about the church and how they dislike the Abyss. "I am overwhelmed with gratitude" Aelfric said "You're fervent support is all the reward I could ask for" he added, he then turned to Byleth "As for you, Byleth, I must beg a favor of you" Aelfric said.

"What's the favor?" Byleth asked, Aelfric began to ask Byleth if she would give guidance to the Ashen Wolves. This led to a rise in opposition from the Ashen wolves saying how they have Aelfric to look after them. Aelfric shut them down saying that they had a lot to learn from her especially in the form of combat given that she was a former mercenary.

"A trustworthy and esteemed individual, to say the least" Aelfric said "What's more, I happen to be acquainted with the Father of this fine individual" he added.

Byleth looked at him in confusion "When did you meet my Father?" she asked.

"I met Jeralt back when he was a knight" Aelfric responded "I was born and raised in Garreg Mach so I often had the opportunity to spend time with him" he added. "You're mother, as well..." he said with a sad voice "She was a cherished friend of mine, I was even present for their wedding" Aelfric added. "With parents like yours I have no doubt that you possess the kindness and patience necessary to help train the Ashen Wolves" he added. Constance was about to protest but Yuri shut her down and reminded Aelfric about the mercenary they captured. "Right you are, Oh and one more thing, Byleth..." he murmured "If ever you would like to hear more about your parents, I would be delighted to share my memories with you" Aelfric added before leaving to deal with the mercenary.

After the battle the Ashen Wolves led them to two rooms side by side, the room on the left was the men's quarters and on the right was the women's. Byleth, Edelgard, and Hilda entered into their quarters for their stay in the Abyss, it wasn't as run down as Byleth thought it was going to be. The three girls talked over what had happened since they arrived at the Abyss, but once it got later Byleth retreated from the conversation and went to bed.

(Author's note)

Ok so to jump right into this I'm slightly unsure of how to do an author's note, however I did want to know the opinions of any one who has ventured thus far into the story. First of all I'd like to apologize for how slow paced it may seem when I initially began writing I had it most of it planned but that was the second half portion of the game part, I have been using the support conversations between Byleth and the other students to build the right settings for when we reach that part in the story. Another thing I was curious about was the formatting of how I did the other parts of it. Was it hard to distinguish when a different character was speaking? And did separating it like this help in making it easier to read? And finally is it better for me to publish the story in longer chapters like this one? or should I stick to the medium length ones instead? Anyways thank you for sticking around and reading this, please feel free to comment any suggestions you may have, Thanks! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21K 553 26
As the new female professor takes the job of tutoring the Blue Lions, everyone was filled with joy. But as months have passed Dimitri starts to feel...
957 15 35
A Fire Emblem Three Houses high school vampire AU. Byleth is used to her father's job causing them to move suddenly, and has to start her senior year...
5.6K 92 15
Following the supposed death of Sephiroth, former First Class SOLDIER Cloud Strife traveled around Gaia searching for more work as a mercenary. Howev...
2.2K 35 5
In order to escape, Byleth made a deal with the Goddess Sothis. As a result, Jeralt was avenged but at what price did she pay? Before Dimitri's eyes...