unCHANGED |unOrdinary| John x...

By Tortollino

After Joker's identity has been uncovered in front of the whole school, Seraphina decides to confront John ab... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 | Peaceful
Chapter 2 | New Light
Chapter 3.1 | Monsters
Chapter 3.2 | Monsters
Chapter 4.1| Fool
Chapter 4.2 | Fool
Chapter 4.3 | Fools
Chapter 4.4 | Fools
Chapter 4.5 | Fools
Haloween Special
Chapter 4.6 | Fools
Chapter 5 | Empty
Chapter 5.2 | Empty
Chapter 6 | G'night
Chapter 6.2 | G'night
Chapter 7 | Change
New Year's Special
Chapter 7.2| Change
Chapter 7.3 | Change
Chapter 7.4 | Change
Chapter 7.5 | Change
Chapter 8| Failed
Chapter 8.2| Failed
Chapter 9 | Hero
Chapter 9.2| Hero
Chapter 9.3| Hero
Alternate Chapter 9.4
Chapter 10| Argument's Sake
THANK YOU
Chapter 10.2| Argument's Sake
Chapter 10.3 | Argument's Sake
Chapter 11| Bad Dream
Chapter 11.2| Bad Dream
Chapter 12 | Ideas
unStoppable
13 pillars of my sanity
Chapter 12.2 | Ideas
Half Empty
Chapter 13| Beyond my Control
Chapter 13.2| Beyond my Control
Chapter 14| Know
Chapter 14.2| Know
Thank you for 200 Followers
Chapter 14.3 | Know
Chapter 15| Finally

Chapter 9.4 |Hero

6.7K 150 134
By Tortollino

John PoV

                                       I’m useless                                                       I want to stay
I’m dangerous     
                                                                                  It's for the best
        N-no                           Yes.  
                                                                                                                                                     “You mean a lot to me”

Just leave without me
                                             I am incapable of change
                 “You have changed”                                                   I don’t know

      “You trust me, don’t you?”                                  I- Sera-
                                                                                      “Then believe me when I say-”

“I trust you.”

“Copy my ability and let’s go!”, she urged. I looked up at her. Her eyes were panicked and desperate. I didn’t know what to do, I shouldn’t, I can’t leave! I’m dang- but she trusts me. After everything, she trusted me. Those couldn’t be  empty words, I saw it in her shining blues; she meant every single word she said. 

“Just do it you moron!”, she said, grabbing me by the shoulders. Our faces were so close that I could feel her shaky, warm breath on my chapped lips. She peered into my eyes, demanding a reaction. If I am to follow anyone, it's gonna be her.

I obeyed, letting my eyes glow. 

I was flooded with raw power. It was almost too much for me to handle, I didn’t expect it. I took a deep breath and said, “I forgot how OP your ability was.”, I gave her a weak smile, fiddling with my bangs awkwardly.

I heard her chuckle quietly and I suddenly felt Sera’s weight on me as she wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly. My back pressed against the  wall, I embraced and held her, caught off guard.

“I really thought Keon got to you, John.”, Sera whispered in my ear.

I sighed, tracing the bumps of her spine with my thumb, “He did.”, I said, “But, I trust your judgment over his.”

I felt her stiffen. But she still rested her head on my shoulder, hiding her small face in the nape of my neck. I breathed in her delicate scent, if I could stay like this forever, I would. I closed  my eyes briefly, wanting this moment to last.

click  

I snapped my eyes open, freezing time and space around me. I looked to the open door, where a padded and shielded man was standing, gun raised and activated. That was close. I unfroze the girl in my arms, leaving everything else in a cool grey.

She glanced up at me and then turned to see what I was looking at, “We need to get out of here.”, she said, standing up.

“Agreed.”, I paced to the guard and elbowed him across the face, knocking the gun from his hands. He crashed into the concrete wall opposite the door, while Sera and I jogged to the next entry. 

“I’m taking the gun.”, she said.

“I doubt we'll need it. Your ability can be lethal!”, I pointed out, “Wait, how did you get it back anyway?!”, I asked, realising that I definitely missed something.

“I’ll tell you later, just focus on leaving!”, she said, scanning a card of some sort to open the double doors. When did she get her hands on one of those?!  

However, before Sera opened them, she turned to me, “John, are you doing ok? A freeze like this is a lot.”

I nodded, “Pfft, it’s fine.”, I assured her, “We’ll be out in no time anyway.”

“If you say so.”

We wandered further down the hall. I was mostly following Sera, since she seemed to have a better sense of direction in this place than I did. As we turned a corner, we ran into two more men and a woman, each of them armed. 

“They must have a silent alarm or something.”, said Sera, slapping them into the walls. “I think the exit is past that larger room.”

“Yeah. let’s go then.”, I said, trying to hide my tiredness. Stopping time  is really draining me, but it’s too dangerous to unfreeze now. We walked to the  next set of doors. I peeked through the glass panes, “The coast is clear. I really expected them to at least try and stop us.”, I chuckled.

“Don’t jinx it, stupid.”, Sera teased unlocking the doors and going through. I wiped the sweat from my brow. Just a little longer… 

We were halfway to the exit, when I was quickly becoming exhausted. I could feel my control over time slip and quiver. No! Not yet! I tried to power through, wheezing. Sera turned around, “John, are you-”

I cried out. Time resumed to normal, whipping me with tremendous recoil damage. It felt like my core was on fire. It was near unbearable.

Shocked, Sera tried to stop time herself, but she was a second too late. I felt my power suddenly fade away, to barely half of its prime.  Sera, too, was puzzled when she could only freeze a small area around her. But we both recognised the feeling. We locked eyes , “Well, sh*t.”, I breathed.

“Run.”, she said. We both increased our speed, sprinting at the door. I winced, tolerating the blinding pain in my abdomen. I heard gunshots. Oh fu*k, I really did jinx it!!!

I felt an aura behind me. It was a purple-haired man with a speed ability. He lunged and tackled me to the ground. I threw him off of myself, crawling back to my feet. I saw Sera standing by the door, hesitating between leaving and helping me. I don’t need help! “Go!”, I yelled.  She bit her lip but seeing that I was about to follow, she sped through the frame.

As I began to run after her, I collapsed, breathless. I looked at my leg and  the knife jutting out of it. I pulled it out, attempting to walk. I couldn’t. I was barely able to limp. But I had to. I increased my speed, my last shot-

BANG

A bullet through my other leg. I was done for. I withheld my cry of agony as I hit the ground, knowing I wouldn’t get back up. I hope Sera doesn’t come back. She won’t stand a chance!

“Hold him down.”, I heard His voice. 

Many hands pressed me against the floor, I started grabbing at them but they locked down my arms, cuffing my wrists. It couldn’t have been difficult, I wasn’t more of a threat than an injured mid-tier…

I saw Him come out of the shadows, making his way towards me, “And here I thought we were making progress.”, he stopped directly in front of me, “I’ll be sure to go harder on you next time.” 

H-harder…?

I bit through my lip, how the hell am I going to get out of this?! 

I… I have to fight! I can’t afford to give up!

But…

I’m cuffed and unable to walk…

It's not a question of giving up-

I’ve lost.

“Carry him to the interrogation room.”, Keon ordered, “He doesn’t deserve a break.”

They lifted my upper body off of the floor and dragged me back towards the locked halls Sera and I just escaped.

After everything, I really thought we’d make it. I thought I stood a chance but I was knocked down faster than I could say ‘chance’ ...I thought we’d escape together. We even had that clique, life-changing conversation in between the action. I  chuckled somberly. Too bad real life doesn’t have a happy ending.

“What are you smiling about?”, He asked me, “Just stop being a nuisance.”, angrily, he pressed his hand on my head, activating his ability. My head rolled back and I completely zoned out of reality, instead watching all the bad in my life replay in my mind. 

Leilah PoV

I stood down the road from the facility, waiting for my sister to appear. She was sure taking her time for an escapee. I could only imagine she was rescuing that ‘John’ character. It’s a shame. Keon is never going to let him leave.  He’s too perfect of an asset.

I sighed. But for everyone’s sake, I hope both of them escape. Vaughn needs John for his plans and I know Darren wouldn’t forgive me if he finds out that I was the mastermind behind this chaos. And Seraphina, of course...I have no idea how badly she’ll take it.  

Unfortunately, it was the only way for her to get her ability back. John was the only bargain EMBER would accept…

“Leilah!”

I perked up to see Seraphina running towards me, alone.  “Hey!”, I called, “Have you forgiven me?”

She stopped and caught her breath. Wow, that dampener really does a number on ya, doesn’t it?

“I’m still deciding, but I do want to thank you for helping us escape. We couldn’t have-”, she began

“ ‘We’?”, I questioned. Did she not realise?

“Yeah! Me and-”, she turned around to point at…well… no one.

My heart ached as I saw the colour drain from her face when it  dawned on her that she left and John didn’t. 

She ran. Right back towards the facility?!!?! 

I froze her and called, “Are you stupid?! It’s too late now! Let’s go!”

“No, I’m not leaving without him! I refuse!”

“You can't fight them all off, you’re too weak.”, I said

“I don’t care, I’m going back!”

I shook my head, “You know what you sound like? A dumb, lovestruck anime girl who only ends up getting in the way of things!”, I yelled, “Don’t try to play hero. It gets you killed.”

Her magenta bangs covered her eyes, but I could see tears drip down her cheeks. 

“Look, sis,” , I continued, walking closer to her, “Him staying behind was part of the deal.”

“Deal?”

“Yes, your freedom and ability for his capture and ability.”, I said, “Not as literally as yours though.”, chuckled nervously.

“You’re saying that the cost of my ability is him going through hell?”, she asked.

I nodded in response.

“Then, I don’t want my ability.”

“What?! You know, I really don’t understand you.”, I commented, “Didn’t he hurt and lie to you?”

Seraphina raised her head slowly, meeting my gaze, “How do you know about that?”

“Darren is one to spill the tea by the end of the week, let’s just say that.”, I dismissed, “My point still stands.”

“Well, John is worth all of it. He risked-no, sacrificed h-himself protecting me.”, she stammered.

Dramatic, if you ask me...but ok.

“Then don’t let it be in vain, just live your happy life without him.”, I shrugged

“How could I ever be happy without him?”, she muttered under her breath and continued to sob, helpless in my time freeze.

Can’t she be happy? Would it really affect her that much? I looked at her pitifully distraught expression. I only did this for her to be happy. If she isn’t then what's the point? But I can’t let her go there, she’ll get hurt as the best case scenario. I guess I could…

“Seraphina,”, I said, “I can get him, if you want.”

“Why didn’t you say so right away?!”

“Because,”, I said, “If I directly break off the deal I made with the company, it would put all three of us on their ‘wanted’ list.”

“Leilah, please do it.”, she begged, “You didn’t see what Keon did to him. John can’t go through it again. Please.”

I unfroze her, “Don’t dare follow me, got it?”, I said. She nodded tearfully, sitting down on the road and crying. Alright, that’s it! I’m pretty sure the Seraphina I knew has been abducted and replaced by aliens!

Nonetheless, I stopped time and jogged over to the facility. I can just KO all of them at once, I guess… then they’ll never even know what hit’em. Before entering, I unfroze time, only pausing it directly around me instead. This should minimize recoil.

I spotted my targets. Two men were dragging a black-haired boy to the restricted area. The boy, John, was trailing blood from his legs. Oh wow, they did him dirty.

I watched the boy, judging how much help he could be to me. Yeah, none. He looked unconscious but his eyes were wide open and glowing red. Keon’s doing.

The red-haired man walked beside the boy with a discontented expression. Your day is about to get a whole lot worse, sir.

But I looked around, checking for any potential threats. It looked good. So, I sped at the workers that were dragging John  and slammed them against the wall. With the guns out of the way, I caught the boy and shattered his cuffs before he hit the ground. But, as I was about to get out of there with him, Keon called, “Leilah, think about what you are doing. If we have him on our side we’ll be unstoppable. Every vigilante and anyone else who stands against  the system will fall!”

"Wait. You don't happen to be John Doe, do you? William Doe's son?"

 "No, sorry. You must have me confused with someone else."

"Are you sure? That's a shame, I really like his book. Unordinary, have you heard of it?"

That statement wasn’t a lie. The only reason I ever followed this career path was to try and change the system… but then I realised what the authorities were really doing, which was when I started figuring out ways in which to  defy them. But my sister’s case took priority over that and here we are now.

I laughed in the man’s face, “You’re gonna have to try a little harder than that,I’m afraid!”, I winked and gave the peace sign, before disappearing with the boy. As I left the freeze frame, I looked at Keon’s face. He was shocked and completely pis*ed off! Iconic.

I dragged the boy down the road to my sister unfreezing time as I got to her.  As soon as she saw John, she leapt to her feet and ran to us. I set him down on the ground and she held him close to her, stroking the hair off of his face, caressing his cheek-  I’m not watching this! I turned away from the disgusting scene unfolding behind me and phoned Darren. 

After two attempts, he picked up, “Hey babe… It’s a bit late, unless it’s a booty call…”, he said

“Nah, not tonight, hon.”, I said, “But you know John?”

“What did that fu*ker do this time?”

“Errr, long story! But, he needs medical attention, his legs are messed up…”

Darren sighed, “Did he try and trampoline off the roof or something?”

“You know what? Sure. That’s exactly what happened.”, I exclaimed, “I’ll drop him off at yours in an hour, k?”

“Wait-”

“Kisses! Muah!”, I smooched to the phone and hung up. Turning back to the love birds I said, “It is done.”  

Seraphina looked to me, worry-stricken, “He’s not waking up! Why isn’t he waking up?!”, she asked desperately. Cupping the boy’s face with her shaky hands.

“I dunno, give him a few minutes.”, I shrugged, “I’ll fetch my car.”

“Wait! You can’t leave!”, she begged, “Stay. Please…”

“I’ll just be a sec, chill.”, I tried to calm her down.

“But, what if he doesn’t wake up, what will I do?”, she asked hopelessly, “Or even if he does, what if he’s not the same? Did Keon attack him again?”

I nodded, “Yeah, he had his mind-mushing mode on.” 

Seraphina’s eyes widened, as she looked at the unconscious boy. I really need to work on how bluntly I phrase things.  She hugged his arm, lifting his hand to her own cheek as she nuzzled into it, wiping her tears.

Silently, I stepped away, the sooner we get to Darren’s the better, where did I park?

Sera PoV

We were so close. But I lost you again. I gently pressed his coarse palm against my cheek. “Why do you always have to  be in some sort of dangerous, critical condition?”, I muttered sarcastically, trying to lift my own mood. 

I put his hand back on the cold tarmac and just stared at the shadowed features of his face. He looked gaunt and worn out. Leilah is probably right, I should just give him time, he must be exhausted. Then maybe- I looked around, my sister was gone to get her car, we were alone- no one will know…

I leaned closer to John and lightly kissed his cheek. Then the other. And finally, his lips-

I stopped, startled by the burnt-gold eyes peering into my soul. I sat up, retreating. John looked...different. His glance was calm yet piercing, giving off an intimidating air. But at least he woke up! I smiled at him and said, “We made it. We’re safe, together.”, I purred, hitting an unintended note.

He narrowed his eyes, “Who are you again?”

I felt like my world shattered. He forgot again? No-

“I’m Sera.”, I  assured him, “Your best friend-”

A smirk spread across the boy’s face. And I lost it, “You were faking?!”, I roared as he burst into a fit of laughter, “That was not funny!”

“I beg to differ.”, he wheezed, “Besides, if you're going to sexually assault my face, you might as well label us as ‘friends with benefits’ next time I lose my memory.”, he teased

“You’re in an awfully good mood, don’t you think?”

“Well I think that adrenaline is currently numbing my legs, so let me have my fun before I pass out.”, he winked, “If you want I can close my eyes again though.”

“John!”, I socked his arm, embarrassed.

He closed his eyes and puckered his lips, “Here I am, take advantage of my vulnerability!”

I hesitated. He was obviously bluffing and didn’t expect me to actually do it. So, I played his game and won. 

Our lips met and I kissed him. I could feel his eyelashes when his eyes fluttered open in surprise.But, after a moment he reciprocated and we both melted into the kiss.

Suddenly, I felt his tongue against my bottom lip as he asked for entry. I opened my mouth slightly, allowing our tongues to interlock. I felt his hands on my hips as he motioned for me to sit on him. I parted our lips and we both took harsh, raspy breaths, while I straddled his stomach.

Looking down at him, I could see the shock in his eyes, his cheeks were red and some saliva dripped from the corner of his mouth.

Hot.

I kissed him again, digging my fingers into his midnight hair. He moaned as I bit his lip playfully and he pulled me against his chest, wrapping his strong arms around my waist. I couldn’t express the excitement I was feeling, it was as if I had been missing this all my life!

We locked eyes. John’s were barely open but I could see the lust in his champagne irises. I needed a breather, but he began to kiss and suck on my neck, causing me to whimper.

HONK

I heard the door of a car open, “Oi! I leave you two for a moment and you start doing that?! Get a room, this is the middle of a literal road!!”, Leilah yelled with her arms crossed, “Ok let’s get him in the car and go.”, our ride said, opening the back doors of her silver car, “Disgusting.” she muttered to herself.

Smiling, I stood up, leaving John to look up at me. I activated my ability, in hopes that it would speed up the tedious moving process. But compared to everything else that happened today, it wasn’t that big of a deal.

“Hey, Sera.“

“Hmm?”

“We made it.”, John said, “I mean, we made out, too but-”

“Oh, shush!”

“But, we made it and I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Well, you wouldn’t be in this situation if it wasn’t for me either-”

“No, Sera. In general. I’d be so lost without you.”, he blushed, “You’re my hero.”

Hello,hello, kind readers!

This is the point where the story splits between unCHANGED and  unStoppable. So feel free to check out the latter if you want to see what happens if Leilah hadn't gone back for John

I hope you liked this early, over-3000 -word chapter which, I mean 😳

Quarantine do be a blessing , sometimes lol

I don't think I'll update on Tuesday, just because I have other projects to do, but I hope this chapter was enough!

Till next time <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.5K 1.9K 18
The secret is out. John is now the feared king of Wellston. Abandoned by the only important person in his sad life, he is left to stand alone agains...
50.9K 1.1K 52
Seraphina is a goddess, John is (questionably) trying to be better, Remi and Blyke are giving him a second chance, Elaine is dumb while Isen is weird...
3.6K 113 43
The world of unOrdinary is crazy enough..... John Doe has just recently turned his actions around and Seraphina finally did get her ability back with...
109K 3K 87
John has a cousin who also attends Wellston, and who has dethroned Arlo. He rules similarly to Rei, discouraging bullying and doing his best to break...