The Bad Boys Are Back

By keepitvrai

[ON HOLD] Ava just wants to graduate Senior year in peace. Hopefully as Valedictorian. But the bad boys are... More

characters
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21

13

2.1K 64 16
By keepitvrai

Ava's POV

> If you're really going the party starts after 11

I read the text over and over again. It was 6pm right now.

And I thought I only had an hour to prepare for the party. What kind of party even starts at 11pm?

As I towelled my hair dry, I re-entered my room to see Pinhead sitting on my bed. The one creature on this planet who may actually love me.

So I have 5 hours to prepare, and one hour to travel there so I won't be late. Or maybe I should time myself to arrive there after 11, in which case I have 6 hours to prepare for the party.

No wonder Finn was still in bed.

I glanced down at his text again.

If the party was going to start after 11, do I reach at 11 or after 11?

Jasper, of course. One cannot go wrong with nice, polite Jasper who didn't think I was too immature for this party.

I texted Jasper.

> What time are you going tonight?

While I waited for his reply, I dried my hair with a hairdryer. But he hadn't replied by the time I was done. So I decided to tweeze my eyebrows, it was a very special occasion, yes.

Half an hour later, Jasper still hadn't replied me. I felt the mildest surge of panic. But then I reassured myself I had 6 hours to wait for a response. So I painted my nails, and my toenails for extra measure. Then I waxed my limbs.

At which point, I could hear my mother returning home with the hum of a melancholic tune and the crinkle of grocery bags. Pinhead zoomed downstairs, but I didn't. Because motivation had just struck.

Motivation to study for my Calculus test. And I never ignore such motivations. They come in tidal waves, unpredictable but very useful to help me score. So my makeup and party preparation was forgotten as I dived into my bag to retrieve my Calculus textbook.

The time was 10.14pm when Jasper replied me.

> Oh shit I'm so sorry I didn't see your text

> I'm reaching a little after 11, hbu?

Just like that, the motivation to study was gone, seemingly fizzled out of thin air the moment Jasper's name popped up on my phone.

Jasper.

> Can you still fetch me?

My thumb hovered over the send button. In the end, I decided to send it. Worst case scenario, I get an Uber there. Whatever.

> Uh hold on

It was a three minute hold.

> Finn says he'll fetch you

What the heck? Make up your mind Finn freaking Russell.

> Does he pinky promise?

> Yeah

I pursed my lips.

> With a cherry on top?

> Lol, yeah he's leaving now, be there in 15

FRICK.

I scampered to the pile of new clothes I'd haphazardly dumped in the corner of my room and got changed at the speed of light.

In case you were wondering, yes, sneaking out is on tonight's agenda.

I contemplated for the longest time if I wanted to wear any of the accessories I bought. In the end, I went with it. When I was done getting dressed, I looked like something Finn might parade around on his left hand. Minus the tattoos.

My phone buzzed.

Finn was here. And early.

Looks like I will be forced to bring my contact lenses down with me to transform from four eyes to two eyes in a moving vehicle. For extra measure, just in case, I brought my Calculus worksheets along. In case it got boring.

Then I descended my window.

My mother should be grateful I was a good daughter, by nature. Because it really wasn't hard sneaking out from my window.

When I entered Finn's car, I greeted him.

Instead of greeting me back, he just nodded.

I guess this was the treatment I was going to receive tonight.

I wasn't entirely sure why I wanted to go so badly. It wasn't a nice feeling being aware that you weren't wanted somewhere. I guess if I didn't go then my shopping efforts would be wasted and I knew I would spend the night dwelling on 'what if's'. And it sucked that I wouldn't be able to express these thoughts to anyone because they probably wouldn't understand.

But I shrugged it off and pulled down the mirror flap on his passenger seat.

Time for my two eye transformation via contact lenses.

Two minutes into my endeavor, it became absolutely clear that I was extremely untalented. Apparently this was mildly amusing to Finn, too.

"Do you need me to stop somewhere for you to wear those?"

"Yes, please." I said through my teeth, eyes red, fingers sweaty, contact lenses probably damaged.

So we pulled over. Lo and behold, I still couldn't do it. Maybe because I was so new to using contact lenses. Maybe because Finn's gray eyes were on me. Who knows?

"Are you really taking me to the party?" I asked in a small voice, hoping to dissipate the awkwardness in the air.

"No, we're skipping town. I recently got into severe criminal trouble and you're coming with me. If I get caught - "

"I am not going down with you." I cut him off. "I have a Calculus test tomorrow."

Finn let out a "Hm" in amusement.

And then silence as I continued to stab my eyeballs.

And then, "Were those Calculus worksheets?"

"Yes." I replied.

"Why do you have Calc worksheets on you?"

"To practice in case the party gets boring."

"Hand them over."

"No."

"Hand them over or I'm sending you right back home." And he sounded really serious.

I finally got my left contact lens in. I wordlessly and reluctantly handed him half a stack of my worksheets.

"The whole thing."

I pulled a stink face at him.

"Stop being such a little girl, hand them over."

"WHY?" I protested.

He shot me a deadpanned expression. So I handed him the rest. Whatever, I more or less studied everything anyway.

He took them and chucked them in the backseat, scattering them everywhere. I tried not to look horrified even though that was what I was feeling.

"So we're going to the party then?"

"Yes, Ava. Yes. Because you're so fucking stubborn and won't take no for an answer." Finn said irritatedly.

I got my second contact lens in. Feeling proud, I turned to look at him and pointed at my eyes. "Are you proud of me?"

"You look stoned."

"Huh? Why?"

"Because your eyes are so red." With that said, he revved the engine and proceeded on his drive to the party.

A few moments of silence passed. We let Finn's music fill the silence.

"What's so bad about the party?" I asked, more curious than anything.

"Nothing bad. Just not your scene."

I felt defensive at his words. "And how would you know what's my scene?"

"You brought your Calculus worksheets along. That's all I need to say." He said flatly. "It's all crackheads and gang shit there. Even I feel uncomfortable going. I highly doubt it's your scene. Don't know why Jasper called you."

I remained quiet in my seat. From the way he described it, I was beginning to feel wary about what I might be getting myself into.

"Isn't drugs illegal?" I asked in a small voice.

"The ops work with gang leaders in this town." Finn provided, cryptically.

I folded my arms and stared out of the window. We had turned into a neighborhood of sorts, and Finn was slowing the vehicle to a halt.

I glanced out the window to eye a bungalow which didn't look like a party destination at all. I was expecting a house which emanated music with tons of people passed out in the yard. This house looked dead.

"Not this one," Finn said, as he placed a finger against my chin to rotate my head towards a house that looked livelier. Yes, possibly the venue of the party.

I let out a noise of excitement as I cracked open the car door and hopped out.

"Wait, I need a smoke first."

"You can smoke in there."

"This is my pre-party smoke," Finn explained as he placed a cigarette between his lips. "You want one?"

I hesitated for a long time. He sighed, took one out, and gave it to me. "I'll finish it for you if you can't finish it."

I cracked a small smile at Finn.

It felt like he was taking care of me even though he was doing the complete opposite. Health-wise anyway.

When we were done, and no I only took half the cigarette, we approached the house that seemed to be emanating music.

The scene that met us within was pretty much what I expected. Neon lights, sweaty bodies, muffled chatter, and very loud music. So loud that it seemed to make the cells in my body dance.

Someone was greeting Finn. Tall guy, seemingly Latino, and cool hair.

"Thanks for coming, man."

Finn shrugged, returning him a side hug. When they parted, the guy sent me a nod of acknowledgement.

"Alcohol in the kitchen, bongs in the backyard we got meth and weed there. Upstairs in the master bedroom last I heard they were crushing coke and e. There's milder stuff in the other rooms like ket. As always you pay what you consume," the guy patted Finn on his back. "Make yourselves at home." With a wink, he disappeared into the crowd.

I could only blink. I was appalled - no, I was horrified. But, as part of my act, I pretended to be unfazed. I wiped my sweaty palms against my pants.

Beside me, Finn brought his mouth to my ears.

"Whatever you do, don't leave my side. And don't, I emphasize, don't take drinks from strangers."

He moved his head away but I extended a hand to pull his neck back to my level. "How am I getting date raped without leaving your side genius?"

Finn frowned. "I'm serious."

Behind us, the front door opened. I saw two familiar faces. Levi and Jasper. I wasn't sure why but my face lit up.

"Ava, you made it!" Jasper said to me, well, more like shouted at me over the music. But his smile was bright and he had dimples.

I wanted to reply him but I was cut off my Levi.

"LET'S PARTAYYY."

I want to say Neanderthal but truth be told, he might be growing on me.

-

a/n: unedited. hmm this felt like a really long filler chapter but i've got fun things planned in the next chapter wink wonk

vote & comment :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8M 82K 37
"Your mine Don't you get it? I live for you. I would die for you...I would kill for you" ************************************************* Oliver has...
440K 28K 51
The battle is won, but the war is far from over. With his new powers on the loose, Oliver must find balance between good and evil - before the world...
103K 3.1K 30
On the verge of failing his senior year of high school, Armando is set up with a tutor to get his grades back up. His tutor, Brian, happens to be the...
376K 14.9K 35
Tori Anderson is the typical shy, nerdy seventeen year old. After her parents died, she's been living in a foster home with her foster mom and the o...