The Hat Trick (ON HOLD AS OF...

Por Bcole09

Bailey Summers; Eats, Sleeps and Breathes for the National Hockey League. She's going to the local University... Mais

Chapter One: Bailey
Chapter Two: Dill
Chapter Three: Bailey
Chapter Four: Bailey
Chapter Five: Dill
Chapter Six: Bailey
Chapter Seven: Bailey
Chapter Eight: Bailey
Chapter Nine: Dill
Chapter Ten: Bailey
Chapter Eleven: Bailey
Chapter Twelve: Bailey
Chapter Thirteen: Bailey
Author's Note
Chapter Fourteen: Bailey
Chapter Fifteen: Dill
Chapter Sixteen: Bailey
Chapter Seventeen: Dill
Chapter Eighteen: Bailey
Chapter Nineteen: Dill~Part One
Chapter Nineteen: Dill Part Two
Chapter Twenty: Bailey Part I
Chapter Twenty: Bailey Part II
Chapter Twenty-One: Bailey
Chapter Twenty-Two: Dill Part I
Chapter Twenty-Two: Bailey Part II
Chapter Twenty-Three: Bailey
Chapter Twenty-Four: Bailey
Chapter Twenty-Five: Bailey
Chapter Twenty-Six: Bailey Part I
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Dill
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Bailey
Chapter Twenty-Nine: Dill
Chapter Thirty: Dill
Chapter Thirty-One: Bailey Part I
Chapter Thirty-One Part II: Bailey
Chapter Thirty-One Part III: Bailey
Chapter Thirty-Two: Bailey
Chapter Thirty-Three: Bailey
Chapter Thirty-four: Bailey
Chapter Thirty-Five: Bailey Part I
Chapter Thirty-Five: Bailey Part II
Chapter Thirty-Six Part I: Dill
Chapter Thirty-Six Part II: Bailey

Chapter Twenty-Six: Bailey Part II

5.5K 176 47
Por Bcole09

Things are about to heat up. 

You're welcome,

Brooke

Something was totally off about this chick, she seemed so plastic and there was an underlying cruelty in those jade green eyes of hers. Everyone was on edge around her, even Dani who I knew already wasn’t the type of woman to take crap from anyone, but she was even hesitant around this Baywatch-Barbie-Thing.

Movement from the side caught my attention, Collin was shaking he was so furious. His arms crossed firmly across his broad chest, that half-sleeve tattoo just peeking out giving him this badass vibe that made me want to go hide in the corner.

“Get out.” The words were spoken in a level tone but the bite and crystal clear anger was front and center and downright scary as hell. “Just get the fuck out.”

Lydia snapped her head in his direction, the corner of her pert mouth barely lifting at his harsh tone. “Really Collie? And here I thought we were closer than that,” she shrugged a slim shoulder glancing over at me again. “No matter, you Dillions’ boys are all the same after a while completely disposable.”

Collin grunted something his hackles raised as he took a step towards the bitchy blond; on instinct I reached out, being the closest to him, catching the sleeve of his jersey and barely managing to pull him to a stop before he went as far as to do bodily harm to this crazy lady.

“Collin, she’s not worth it.” I said in a rush still holding onto him. I didn’t know this lady from Eve, but clearly there was some bad history between her and my family. In retrospect I should have let Collin just scare her and send her ass over teacup out the door.    

“And who are you?” Lydia asked finally acknowledging my presence besides a couple of scathing glances. “The new Bunny?” She looked back at Collin who was literally foaming at the mouth to get his hands around her pretty neck. “Collie, I didn’t think that you went after someone else’s tainted meat.” I jerked back like I’d been slapped, her words hitting so close to home with how I felt about myself with what happened during my Adam fiasco. She smiled harshly getting the reaction she had wanted from the beginning.

I shook my head refusing to go backwards. Stepping around Collin I made a beeline towards this Lydia Bitch. “Who the hell are you to come in here uninvited and start slandering this family?” I held up my hand in front of her face, a chilling laugh escaping my lips. “Oh wait, I’m sorry, you probably don’t matter in the slightest to any of these people behind me, so I profusely apologize for thinking that you did in fact matter.” Those jade green eyes narrowed a fraction only adding fuel to my flame. “No matter what “history” you have with this family as far as I’m concerned you’re just some butt-hurt Puck Bunny who was turned down one too many times and doesn’t understand the word ‘no’.” I grinned loving her small reactions and knowing that my words actually had effect on her.

I wasn’t done though, far from it. “Furthermore—”

“Bailey!” Dani snapped cutting off my tirade, startling everyone within the room. “That’s enough.” I looked at J’s mom feeling about the size of a mouse, color rushing to my cheeks as embarrassment and anger clung to me like cheap perfume.

Dani’s chin quivered slightly as her eyes closed on the scene she had created. When her eyes opened again the woman who I had started to grow fond of and want approval was no longer there, the woman who had cornered me in J’s kitchen earlier today had replaced her. Hard and mistrusting, she looked at me like I was what Lydia had called me; a Puck Bunny, an outsider to this wonderful family I have come to love.

I caught my breath feeling sucker punched, unbidden tears rushed to the surface but I’d be damned if I allowed that form of weakness to show in front of this blond bitch or J’s mom for that matter.      

I don’t—I haven’t been talked to in that tone since I still lived at home. I was floored by her sharpness towards me, especially when I had been defending all of them. I didn’t know what I had done wrong to deserve that tone, that look.

“Bailey, maybe it would be best if you stepped outside for a moment.” Mrs. Dillions insisted the coolness in her words chilling me to the bone. This was worse than I could have ever imagined.

“Mom, you can’t be serious.” Collin demanded, looking just as shocked as I was by his mother’s sudden change of heart. The look he sent to Elle and his father made me think that he had been left out of the loop as well and was wondering what in the hell was going on.

Mrs. Dillions sent her son a sharp look one that cut off any more outbursts. She turned those impassive eyes to me and I shrunk back towards the door without even knowing. “Family business and all, you understand Bailey.” I nodded blinking rapidly the unshed tears burning my eyes. “You’re more than welcome to come back and finish watching the game with us.”

I nodded again offering a weak smile. “S-sure.”

Lydia leaned over her lips grazing my ear as I walked past her. “First loves never go away, remember that.” Her words sent a chill racing down my spine, what was she talking about? Did she really think that I was with Collin?

What black hole have I stepped into all of a sudden? I’m so at a loss for words that I can’t even defend myself like I had been defending the Dillions.  I can’t even tell this chick to royally fuck off or ask her what the hell she means by that comment. I just stand there wishing for the ground to swallow me whole. This whole confrontation has to be some sick joke.

Without waiting to be officially dismissed like a red headed step child I ran from the suite like all of Hell was nipping at my boot heels. Tears cascaded down my face as I dodged people left and right having no clue where I was headed in the upper levels of the suite apartments. I just needed to get out, I needed air. I couldn’t draw in a deep breath and that freaked me out even more. The air was literally stuck in my windpipe and god it was excruciating.

Taking a sharp left I burst into the ladies bathroom, unbelievably the large restroom was empty. Taking advantage to the emptiness I let myself break down. Huge, gasping sobs wrecked through my body as I expelled the hurt and rejection from J’s moms dismissal of me—from his whole families sharp dismissal of me, everyone but Collin had questioned his mom’s order.  

Minutes passed as I leaned over the cold porcelain sink, my whole body shaking like I was on the verge of collapsing from exhaustion. Taking a shuddering breath I looked up into the mirror not surprised with what reflected back. My eyes were red and puffy, the bottle green color so vibrant they looked unnatural. What was left of my mascara was now smeared across my cheeks. My hair was still decent—thank you hairspray—my lips were leeched of color and pressed into a thin line, matching the sharpness in my clenched jaw. The girl in my reflection look like she could take out an entire team of hockey players, with one arm tied behind her back. But if you looked closely you could see that the reason her jaw was held so tight was to keep it from quivering revealing weakness, the storm brewing in her green eyes was one caused by unforeseen hurt.

I looked away dipping my head down as another sob aftershock worked its way through my body. I flicked the cold water on reaching blindly for a paper towel to wet down and run along the back of my neck. A few more minutes and then I needed to go back—

The door to the ladies restroom opened with a swoosh the sounds of high heels clicking across the tile floor caused the tiny hairs on the back of my neck to stand on end. Instantly my mind reverted back to Lydia the cause of all my problems tonight and I stood frozen in fear expecting her to come around the corner and find me crying my eyes out.

 I waited my body tense and ready to bolt if it was that hateful blond. Maybe I’d catch her by surprise and give her a bloody nose or a split lip and then demand to know what her parting words meant.

The woman who rounded the corner I recognized instantly, my knees almost buckled underneath me at seeing the familiar face. The tall, raven haired woman was none other than Mac Ryan, a sports analyst I regarded highly and secretly wanted to be just like her one day. She was the best sports reporter the KC Tribune had on staff; I followed her posts, blogs, reports, Tweets religiously. Harper and Emma called her my girl-crush and repeatedly made jokes about all the newspaper clippings I had of her articles she wrote for the KC Redgraves.

“Mac Ryan,” her name was a revered whisper on my tongue.

The sports analyst stopped midstride when she saw me, one perfectly arched brow lifted inquisitively as she looked at me clinging to the sink her defenses up instantly. Her dark hair was pulled back in a severe bun giving her this hard edge that could make a grown man cup his balls. A coal black skirt suit with a crisp, stark white button down shirt and black stilettos added to the hard as nails look she coined.

“Do I know you?” she asked steel gray eyes hardening behind a pair of square rimmed glasses.

I shook my head stiffly, trying to pull myself up to my full height and not appear like I had been caught balling my eyes out in a public bathroom. “No . . . sorry, I’m just a big fan of yours. Loved the article you wrote a week ago about the rivalry between the Redgraves and all of the west coast. You really laid it all out.”

Mac Ryan looked a little skeptical and I couldn’t really blame her, here I was a complete stranger found wallowing in the ladies restroom of a hockey game and the first words out of my mouth are her name and how I’m a ‘big fan’ of hers, not creepy at all B.

“Thanks,” she replied tersely forcing a tight smile to flicker across her full mouth. Mac Ryan walked over to the farthest sink from mine and proceeds to wash her hands.

 All the while I continue to stand bolted to my sink basin, a nerve starts to jump under my left eyebrow and I know I have minutes until a migraine takes over after the hard cry I just had. My knuckles turn white from the grip I have on the sink I don’t want to move from this spot, I don’t want to go back to that suite and face them all. I can’t. I’ll break down again or worse and I’ll scream at J’s family and lose whatever respect I had gained. But I can’t just stand here all night long, already I’m freaking out Mac Ryan and J will come looking for me after the game. I considered this predicament my most epic stalemate and all I wanted to do was pitch a fit and eat a tub of Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey.

The sink to my far right turned off. “It’s not worth it,” I looked over to a blurry Mac Ryan, drying her hands her tone one of boredom.

“Excuse me?” the words came out softly, emotion clogging my throat. I wiped under my eyes in quick jerky movements. I wouldn’t break down again.

She sighed, tossing the damp paper towel in the trash bin without even looking. “Whatever’s got you so worked up that you stumble into a public bathroom and ball your eyes out in the middle of a hockey game isn’t worth it. It’s not worth your time, your tears, or your next breath. So stop.”

I whirled around anger swelling up inside me readying to tell her that she didn’t know what she was talking about, that she didn’t know what I was going through. But the look she pinned me with those cold gray eyes made me falter and if I had been a guy I would have cupped myself for fear of those pointy toed heels making a beeline for what was between my legs.

Mac Ryan turned to the mirror and smoothed hair that wasn’t out of place thanks to whatever super hairspray she used. “And if it’s a guy that’s got you so worked up remember this, ‘A man should ruin your lipstick, not your mascara’.” With those parting words of wisdom Mac Ryan turned away and walked out of the bathroom leaving me even more dumbfounded.

I was just given life advice by Mackenzie Ryan, a woman who is known to be so brutally honest and doesn’t pussy foot around in her writing that she intimidates the hell out of players, coaches and managers alike, though they all respect her immensely.

Is this seriously my life right now?

I didn’t get a chance to answer my own question or wonder if I was somehow transported into The Twilight Zone before I heard the bathroom door open once more. “Bailey Summers?” a deep male voice called out.

“Reggie?” I answered the call, scrubbing at my face as I made my way around to the door.  Seeing the gruff security guard standing at the entrance of the ladies bathroom caused a little bit of panic to settle in my chest. Why in the world would he be looking for me unless something bad happened? “Is everything okay? Is J . . .?”     

Reggie peered down at me with narrowed eyes, his wide frame closing off any means of escape. “I thought I told you that I was coming back to get you before the start of the second period. Why were you hiding in the bathroom?”

I felt my jaw slack at his flippant yet dead on comment. He waved off any excuse I might have offered his hand gently curling around my upper arm giving me a sharp tug out of the doorway pulling me in the opposite direction of where the Dillions suite was located.

“Forget it,” he said gruffly, weaving us in and out of the traffic of intermission. “You’ve got less than ten minutes before the start of the second period to wish that boy of yours good luck and get back to your seat before you get us both in trouble.”

I tugged at his hold. “I can walk unassisted.” His meaty fingers just tightened around my upper arm cutting off circulation. “You’re creating a scene pulling me around, making me look like I did something illegal.” I flashed a toothy smile to an older couple we passed who looked at me like I had tried to snatch their belongings.

Muttering something under his breath that sounded awful like ‘why me?’ Reggie continued to ignore me as he led us down several corridors his grip on my upper arm lessening with every turn. I quit fighting him two hallways ago but that didn’t mean I was okay with be manhandled.  

Minutes later we stopped in front of a door that read ‘Private: Restricted Area’ next to the door was a keypad, Reggie blocked my view with is hulking body as he punched in a series of numbers. I rolled my eyes, did he really think that I was going to try and memorize the password to get to the boys locker rooms? Honestly, I couldn’t even get back down here on my own, let alone try and remember a code.

The door kicked open once the code had been entered, but Reggie turned to face me instead of leading us into the restricted area. He bent down to my level much like he did before the night had started.

“When I found you in the bathroom you looked like you were ready to bolt, why?” there was sincerity in his tone that didn’t go unnoticed, but there was no way I was telling this hulking head security guard my sob story.

“Lady Problems,” I lied with a straight face, rubbing at my upper arm where he had held me.

He rolled his eyes, running a hand over his shaved head. “The Dillions are good people,” it was my turn to roll my eyes; he just gave me a leveled look as he held open the door allowing me to walk in first. “But over the years there have been certain people who have not been ideal “friends” of the Dillions and somehow those certain people manage to sneak back into their lives.” I stutter stepped, catching myself I spun around my green eyes wide with shock. Was he talking about Lydia?

Reggie spun me back around giving me a nudge to keep walking. “All I’m saying don’t cause a scene right before he goes back out onto the ice for the second period. Don’t get me fired and don’t get yourself arrested.” Way to be fucking cryptic as hell Reggie. He had to be talking about Lydia, this was not a coincidence. But where does she fit in at in this crazy dysfunctional family puzzle?

Closing the door behind us Reggie led me down the hallway a little further then he stopped causing me to almost run into his broad back. Leaning against the wall he looked down at me. “The door is down a little further, go ahead and knock on it.”

I shot him an apprehensive look. “Just knock? Do I have to say a secret password like Open Sesame?” Reggie just looked at me like I was asking him what one plus one was. That’s it, I’m over his attitude. “You’re a real peach Reggie, a giant, mean-spirited, grumpy-ass pea—”

“Bailey?” I whipped around at the familiar voice, my small tirade cut off by a very confused looking French Canadian. Oh shit.

“Dom,” I gasped taking a step back wishing Reggie would forget everything I just said and would hide me from Dom.

“What the hell are you doing down here?” he growled advancing towards us, looking like the Canadian version of the Hulk with all his pads still on though I’m pretty sure the Hulk wouldn’t be caught dead wearing socks and sandals.

 Squaring my shoulders, because I’ve had it up to here with people being jerks to me tonight, I met Dom head on ignoring the chuckle from behind me. “I’m here to see J; why else would I be down here?” Dom stood toe to toe with me his dark brown eyes burning with distaste, I still have yet to understand why he hated me so much maybe now was my chance to ask.      

“You can’t be down here; it’s illegal for anyone to be down here.” He sneered.

“You’re down here,” I smirked matching his crossed arms pose.

Dom gave me a droll look, I could tell his patience was already wearing thin and I needed to ask him what his deal was with me before he freaks out and starts screaming at me in French.

“What do you want, Bailey?”

 Here it is, all or nothing. “What’s your deal with me? Why do you hate me? You don’t even know me, I haven’t done anything to you and I’ve barely spoken five words to you in the two times that we’ve met.”

Dom leaned forward the fire from his brown eyes turning cold. “I don’t care enough about you to hate you.” I flinch feeling like he’d slapped me; those words were hard to swallow. “But I do care about Dill, despite his poor life choices I care a lot about him. He’s my best friend and I’ve had to watch him make stupid choices that have almost ruined him.” He took a deep breath coming closer into my personal bubble; I couldn’t stop from shifting back hating the moisture that built in my eyes. “You’re turning out to be one of those bad life choices Bailey; you’re going to ruin him, his career and everything he’s worked hard for. Dill is too blind to see that he’s making the same mistake that he did two years ago and if I have to be the bad guy and step in causing a rift between you guys then so be it. We are weeks away from the playoffs and I won’t let another girl walk in and fuck everything up.”

Air seeped from my lungs like a slowly deflating balloon, last straw, that’s what kept repeating in my head during Dom’s epic drama-filled speech. Oh sure I heard every harsh, hurtful word that he said but I was so beyond letting people think that just because I was sweet and small that they could just push me around. No more, I was done being people’s doormat.

So I shoved him. I shoved a six foot one, two hundred and ten pound hockey player back a good foot or so since he didn’t see it coming. Damn, that felt good. I wanted to punch that big French Canadian head of his too but I wasn’t sure that would send the right message.

“Listen here you pompous Canadian bastard,” I snapped pointing at him. “I know how much J loves this sport; I know how much he loves his teammates and this team. I understand down to the very marrow of my bones that he probably loves this sport more than me, if he even does love me. You don’t need to tell me that this is his life, that this is the air he breathes, that he would be devastated if he ever had to give hockey up. I get it! Trust me, I understand.” I took a deep breath wiping under my eyes with the back of my hand. “I would never do anything that would jeopardize his career in the NHL. I couldn’t live with myself knowing that I did something to tarnish his bright future in this sport, because I love him—” I heard myself gasp, my brain already starting to malfunction by those sacred words, the look on Dom’s face was priceless. “And you don’t hurt the ones you love.”

Dom’s eyebrows mashed down together as he took a step towards , a muscle in his jaw feathered furiously but I had a little bit more to get off my chest and I wasn’t about to be interrupted for anything.

“He’s happy with me. I know you can see how happy he is with me Dom. I’ll go ahead and be a bitch and tell you that no one is coming between our relationship but J and me. We decide when this relationship is over, not J’s mom and certainly not you.” I smiled at him feeling a bit smug.  “You’ve already dug up all the skeletons in my closet Dom, you’ve got nothing else to use against me.”           

We stood inches apart in an epic staring contest if there ever was one, I half expected Reggie to come drag me away yelling at me that this was one of the ways that I could get us both in trouble, but he never interfered.

I pretty much figured that my ten minute window to see J was almost up but I’d be damned if I backed away from Dom and his whole ‘you’re the devil’ argument. I’d stand here with him the whole night if it meant that he finally would understand where I’m coming from and that I don’t want to intervene with J’s professional career.

“Smalls?” J’s voice rang out causing Dom and I both to break eye contact and end the childish game. I managed to look around Dom’s enormous frame while he just turned around crossing his arms looking peeved, grow up already. “Dom? What’s going on here guys?”

Seeing J up close in his jersey did a number on my heart, causing my stomach to flutter and a heavy realization settle on me as I heard my own words come back to me from before; I love him. Admitting that in my head didn’t make me want to run away screaming, the voice in my head wasn’t calling me crazy telling me that four months was too soon. Because it wasn’t, it could take me a week to fall in love or seven years, all it took was the right man and the right time.

That right man was standing in front of me looking at me with these bright blues eyes full of affection and something that I hoped matched what I was feeling now. I never thought about it until now but J was hard to read in instances like this, he would show just a flash of what he was truly feeling but just as quickly a wall of sorts would build up blocking the full extent of that emotion or feeling.

I swallowed heavily blinking back tears at my sudden come to Jesus moment. Don’t make a scene, don’t make a scene.

“Smalls, are you okay?” J asked softly, sending his friend a sharp look as he came to stand in front of me. The need to fall into his arms even if he was covered in sweat hit me hard, but I held my ground not wanting to be that girl.

I nodded at first not trusting my tongue to spill my secret. “Y-yup, got something in my eye.” Ignoring the funny looks from both guys I rubbed at my eyes forcing whatever tears were that to go back into their tear ducts. “I was just telling Dom, while I waited for you, that the pass he made on your breakaway was stellar.”

J clapped his friend on his shoulder causing Dom to jump at the friendly gesture; I swear the look the latter was giving me was as if I had told J that his best friend said he liked to trip little kids as he walked past and steal their candy. If anything I just proved to Dom that what differences we had could be kept between us without forcing J to ultimately choose sides.

J was just as surprised by my complimenting Dom, but because he was smart he didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth and ask what in the world was said between the two of us to get us on good terms with each other.

“But,” I jumped in before an uncomfortable silence could settle around us. “Your power play sucks, I know Coach Hutch has probably all chewed your butts about this but seriously shoot the damn puck!”

J flashed me a wink laughing softly at my need to “coach” the boys, even though I can’t skate for my life and would probably be crushed if I ever stepped out onto the ice to face a NHL team. He knows that I can’t skate and it warmed me from the inside out that he didn’t call me out on my inability to put my “money” where my mouth is and show them how to do their job. He respected my commentary and let me talk, another check mark in the pros list.         

Dom’s face softened a bit seeing the easy-going interaction from me and J, granted he still wasn’t on Team Bailey, yet, but it was nice not being on the end of one of his death glares. “So, what else did you notice Coach Summers?”

I blinked caught off guard by Dom’s question, that pause gave way to a shriek sounding behind the three of us where Reggie was waiting.

“I have as much right to be down here as anyone,” the high pitched voice screamed.

I knew that voice, I hated that voice and suddenly I understood the snarky comment that left me confused at first. The meaning behind it was crystal clear now, “First loves never go away.”

I slowly turned around ice drenching my veins as I watched Reggie try and block the curvaceous blond who managed to weasel her way in and push me an ‘outsider’ right out of the picture; Lydia.

“Holy—” Dom muttered.

“Shit—” J finished in a whisper. “LC . . .”

Everything moved in slow motion in that moment, Reggie couldn’t hold Lydia back and she was able to squeeze past the big security guard her heels making this horrible clicking noise she was moving so fast. I found myself taking my eyes off of her to look back at J who was white; his cheeks which are normally red were frightfully pale. Fearful blue eyes settled down on me filling my stomach with dread. I felt my head shaking ‘no’ and my breath came in quick gasps. I didn’t understand what was going on but then again I did and I think that’s what made this whole situation worse.

“Dom—Dom g-get her out of here.” J demanded taking several steps back, color slowly returning to his cheeks.

I made a move to stand nearer to J, to protect him or comfort him I don’t know which but I was intervened with as Dom grabbed my upper arm and started hauling me backwards. I pressed my heels into the concrete floor my eyes wildly looking between a very solemn looking Dom and a very irate looking J, who wouldn’t even look at me as his friend drug me away.

“I . . . I don’t understand. Dom, stop.” I dug my nails into his hand—little good that did me. Watching Lydia prance past me tossing a smug smile over her shoulder as she neared J made me want to Hulk out and go all Thor’s Hammer on Dom’s ass.

A cry tore past my lips as I helplessly watched this bitch toss her blond locks over her shoulder and give her hips a little extra sway before she stopped in front of my boyfriend. I don’t understand. I don’t understand. I don’t understand.

Yes you do.

She laid red lacquered nails against his chest tilting her chin up to meet his unreadable gaze while he remained perfectly still. Another cry burst from me when J didn’t instantly back away from the hateful blond. I threw my weight against the hold Dom had on me but he must have sensed that I would fight him his grip never faltering.

 Dom’s bulky shoulder pads were blocking my view as he handed me off to Reggie who wrapped a strong arm around my shoulders cutting off any means of escaping and karate chopping Miss Prissy Pants.

“Take her back to the suite, and don’t let that bitch anywhere near her.” Dom seethed running a hand over his smooth jaw. He leaned down in front of me as I continued to struggle to see what was happening between J and her. “Bailey stop, look at me.” he took my face between his calloused hands forcing me to look him dead in the eye. “I was wrong, I’m sorry.” He ran his thumb under my eye catching the little bit of moisture, his smile was sincere but forced. “Now, close your eyes.”

With a shuddering breath I let my eyes drift close and for the second time in little under an hour tonight unwanted tears slipped down my cheeks. I felt Dom pull away, I watched to reach out and grasp onto him needing something rock steady to hold onto as this familiar emotion washed over me choking me.     

Reggie, with one arm wrapped securely around my shoulders to keep me from bolting and the other rubbing gentle circles across my back led me back towards the door. Before he had me fully turned around I opened my eyes, my head whipping around behind me Dom was standing off to the side clearly looking pissed. J was still standing intimately close to that woman, their exchanging of words spoken to softly for me to hear.

Innocent, they looked innocent, like they were discussing the weather. Until she reached up wrapped her arms around his neck, her long nails curling into his damp hair as she directed his mouth willingly down onto hers, there was little to no resistance on his end.

In a matter of seconds I was thrust back into one of my last days with Adam, when I found out about Kelsey and Sophie, two girls he was sleeping with while he was in a relationship with me.

I thought that had hurt me, this was so much worse. Electric chair worse, this was like a shock to my system.  

I somehow managed to pull Reggie to a complete stop my eyes unblinkingly watching the man I loved—the man I now saw as a stranger—intimately kiss someone else while I was ten feet away.

Five . . . Ten . . . Fifteen seconds passed and he never once tried pushing her away.

Something foreign and yet entirely familiar curled around me in that moment, I thought it had disappeared after Adam but it had only lain dormant; deceit and self-loathing. I had been made the fool again. Wow, I never considered myself a masochist.

Numb to the core I let Reggie finally take me away, the walk back to the main area was a blur I’m surprised Reggie didn’t just pick me up and carry me the rest of the way back to the Dillions suite. His family . . . I couldn’t go back there like nothing happened.

“I can’t,” I whispered disentangling myself from the strong arm that held me together and just like that I crumbled. I look up at Reggie through blurry eyes silently begging him to understand. “I can’t.” I was shaking from hurt, from anger, from fear. “I can’t.”

   I took off at a hard fast run leaving Reggie with zero chance of catching me as I dodged people returning to their seats for the start of the second period. My arms and legs pumped harmoniously, the burn in my lungs irrelevant to the pain in my heart. I couldn’t see where I was going for the tears in my eyes but somehow my feet knew where an escape led to.

I pushed through an exit door cold, bitter night air cut me in half as it filled my lungs. I managed to pull myself up short before I ran into oncoming traffic, I wasn’t that bad off, close but not that bad.   

Hands braced on my thighs I gulped down air trying not to gag in the process, hot tears still raining down my cheeks until full heaving sobs took over tearing through me like a hot iron poker.

Minutes passed before I was able to stand up fully, I’m sure people passing were wondering what the hell was wrong with me but I didn’t give about what they thought. My hands shook like I needed a fix as I reached into my back pocket for my cellphone. I had to key in my passcode several times my fingers shook so badly before I was able to pull up a number and hit ‘call’.

One ring was all it took.

“I need you to come get me.”   

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

60.8K 678 22
Ava is the sister of the Hughes brothers. She's the only girl and the youngest. Being the only girl her brothers pushed her to the side a lot. They...
956K 19.7K 30
* CURRENTLY EDITING.* Luke Madden is a NHL superstar. But when an injury sidelines him, he's required to undergo physical therapy. With a stable fami...
2.7K 40 23
"I just mean... there's something about you that I can't get out of my head. I've never felt like this before, and I have my fair share of experience...
43K 330 34
when macy-kate lands a job working as a photographer for the anaheim ducks, she moves from college in cloudy buffalo new york to sunny anaheim califo...