Beyond the Sinister (COMPLETE)

By ariksbell

"𝐀𝐡, 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐲." The death of... More

I. the wake
II. the funeral
III. unwanted letters
IV. unknown sender
V. the ball
VI. bloody hell
VII. the haunted manor
VIII. the sudden visit
IX. not how you impress a lady
X. Get out
XI. hardheaded man
XII. playing good boy
XIII. Christmas creeps
XIV. you cry, you lose
XV. playing nurse
XVI. spontaneous trip
XVII. disguise
XVIII. security
XIX. where were you
XX. where am I
XXI. escape
XXII. farewell
XXIII. knowing me, knowing you
XXIV. love over all
XXV. the scheme
XXVI. controlling the truth
XXVII. paradise
XXVIII. he changed
XXIX. no more, no less
XXXI. pleasure
epilogue

XXX. the happily ever after

3.1K 160 47
By ariksbell

That's it. Seraphina is packing her things.

Indeed, she is furious at herself and disappointed at him, yet, worried at the very same time.

Look, the thing is, she's leaving now.

Furious at herself for trusting Zachary, for giving her heart to him, for proclaiming her love towards him, for accepting him beyond his sinister.

She should've stayed away from him from the very beginning. She could perfectly hear her old self screaming at her, 'I told you so!'

Yet deep in her heart, Seraphina knew she doesn't regret one bit about one occurred, on letting him enter her heart.

And so, she knew she's never gonna let him go.

Disappointed at Zachary for not showing up after what occurred, after the confrontation at the abandoned warehouse, they went straight to her chamber back in the Hearts Manor where they spent the rest of the night.

However, by morning, when Seraphina woke up, Zachary's gone. With that, she knew something's amiss. No note or whatever, he just plainly left her.

Of course, she went straight to the Canning manor and even traveled to his house in Bath but he was nowhere in sight.

His frustration turned into worry. She began asking his clients the last time they saw Zachary but she failed.

Hell, finding that stupid cult of his even crossed her mind which she swiftly shook off.

The thing is, she is frightened over what happened to him. Where is he?

However, her worries turned into heartbreak when a week after he left, Aunt Veronica received a letter from Zachary informing her that he'll be gone for a while, that all is well.

And that he is staying in the countryside for a while.

Seraphina ran straight to her chamber upstairs, tears flowing down her eyes for she knew he definitely did leave her.

Why? And why after she proclaimed her love towards him?

And why can't he even write her a single letter?

Seraphina knew Zachary wouldn't do that intentionally. Surely, he has a reason, right? After all, he is a reasonable man.

And so, Seraphina packed her things, tears flowing down her cheeks, determined to find Zachary in whatever countryside he's hiding.

The carriage downstairs is already set. Her Aunt didn't approve of her plan but she just let her niece be.

Look, Seraphina doesn't have a single plan. Perhaps, she'll make one as her time goes by. Since her whole dowry is gone, she'll sell all her jewelry for renting out rooms and coaches and for food.

And when she ran out of money, she could just work an honest job, right?

Her aunt doesn't have a clue that her niece's dowry is all gone, and so, she didn't give her niece a single penny aside from a pack of cheese and sandwiches.

Engrossed in her thoughts, Seraphina hasn't heard the knocking of the door, instead, she just kept throwing her clothes inside her carpet bag, furiously.

Zachary came barging into the room, Seraphina is still oblivious of his presence.

Shaking his head, Zachary suppressed a chuckle as his eyes Seraphina forced her clothes to fit into the small carpetbag.

Crouching down, he circled his arms around her shoulders, stopping her.

Mouth hanging, she stared at him, his presence still not registering at her mind.

"I-i," stuttered Seraphina, still gazing down at the love of her life, his calloused thumb grazing across her cheek.

She was utterly speechless. There are so many questions she wants to ask him. Where was he? Why did he leave her hanging?

Seraphina at the sight of him badly wants to wrap her arms around him and initiate a kiss but she did not do any of those.

Well, she was about to when Zachary raced her off, his arms wrapping around her waist until she was sitting in his lap, swiftly, he landed his lips on hers, Seraphina responding to his kiss, her fingers clutching his white shirt.

"God, I missed you, Love," murmured Zachary, his chapped lips trailing down her earlobe, giving her chills.

When Seraphina eyed him, her heart filled with love and contentment, she knew something's amiss.

That they should not just kiss and make out after what this asshole did.

At anger, Seraphina hit him with a cushion, Zachary just holding her steady in his lap, just gaped at her, suppressing a chuckle, "Where have you been, you psycho?" Hollered Seraphina as she hit him once again with a cushion.

Funny how she used to badly want him to go away and now, she has been asking him where he is.

"Like what I told Aunt Veronica, I was in the countryside, Love," answered Zachary, still receiving her frustrated pillow hitting the scene.

"That's the point, you didn't even tell me about it, Zach, a single letter wouldn't tire your precious little fingers, right?" Responded Seraphina, frowning.

Shrugging, "I wanted it all to be a surprise to you, Sep. I didn't think Aunt Veronica let you read the letter,"

" She didn't, I read it without her permission as soon as I ascertained it was from you," confessed Seraphina, her voice low, and embarrassed, staring at her lap.

Tipping her chin using his index finger, their eyes met, Seraphina frowning and Zachary smiling broadly, "Marry me, please,"

At that proposal, Seraphina was taken aback. She hasn't expected it, that's for sure. Her emerald eyes turned massive, her mouth hanging.

Holding both her hands, he added, "I acquired land in the countryside, Sep, and bought all these books about farming and raising babies, that's why I was gone,"

Her heart softened at his statement yet surprised.

"Raising babies, Zach? Really?" She chuckled.

"Remind me to purchase a book about the different sex-positions we could try," he murmured, smirking playfully, earning her blush and a light slap in the arm from Seraphina.

"But really, Sep. I am damn serious about marrying you, I love you to death, really, I do. I just can't imagine living without you knowing I already knew how good it felt to even just be beside you, we-we could spend the rest of our lives together in the countryside, just like what you wanted and even raise 12 children of our own and grow old and gray,"

Sighing, she badly wants to say 'I do' but he deserves to know the truth. You see, it's unfair for him to purchase this countryside lot which definitely costs a ton yet here she is, nothing but her love and loyalty to offer.

"There's something you should know, Zach. I have no dowry to offer you, I am literally penniless," Seraphina confessed, looking up in his loving blue eyes, his hands cupping her cheeks, warming her.

He chuckled, saying, "I don't care if you're destitute or have the money in the world, Sep, you're more than enough,"

However, the next second, his face turned serious, "And let's talk about your recklessness of you spending all your dowry on me, young lady, paying all those witnesses to lie,"

"Well, I don't regret it one bit, Zach," exclaimed Seraphina, puffing.

Zachary wants to cry at how beautiful this woman is inside and out. Oh, how much he doesn't deserve her.

Zachary surprised Seraphina when he fished something from his breast pocket, her eyes following his every movement.

Without second thoughts, Zachary swiftly slid the simple yet so, so, so beautiful ring into her finger. The silver ring was a thing and the stone in the middle was just a small bop of amethyst.

At the sight of Zachary sliding the ring into her finger, Seraphina wanted to cry because she hadn't seen such a beautiful view.

"You're gonna make me the happiest husband, Sep," stated Zachary as he raised her hand, kissing the ring.

"I don't remember agreeing to this wedding proposal of yours, Mr. Canning but since this ring is utterly beautiful then you have my vote,"

"No need for that, Love. I'm an expert in reading what's inside that heart of yours, besides, silence means yes, right?" Responded Zachary, his finger brushing across the ring.

The two of them stared at each other, both of them smiling, contented.

"Thank God you didn't give me such a big ring like before. I loathe such big things,"

"You better get used to it since my thing is big,"

She then kissed him in the eyelids, in the lips, and in the throat.

Zachary sat there, his hands firmly encircled around her delicate waist while Seraphina remained sitting on his lap, her hands against his chest.

"What is this?" He murmured against her cheek, the corners of his lips twitched upwards.

Seraphina planted a quick peck on his Adam apple before gluing back her emerald eyes to her future husband, uttering the words, "Affection," with such an alluring gaze and smile.

Raising his brow sardonically, he said, "Do it again," which made them chuckle.

"I truly love you, Mr. Canning,"

" And I do love you so fucking much too, Future Mrs. Canning,"

" No cursing please,"

" But I really do fucking love you,"

"really, Zachary,"

" Fine, no more curses but don't expect me from not fucking you,"

With that, Seraphina gasped.

Right away tomorrow, they got married. Turns out, Zachary already planned the wedding while he was gone. Already contacted the reverend and the witnesses since it'll only be a civil wedding, just the way she wanted since she's no fan of the massive wedding.

Constantly worrying over her guests when she could just be with her husband, cuddling.

"What if I rejected your wedding proposal yesterday, Zach? What about all these?" Asked Seraphina while they're on their way home back in the Canning manor.

Shrugging, he answered, "Truth be told, that hadn't occurred in my mind for I knew you'd say yes, Love," his arms around her.

Seraphina only chuckled at him, leaning her head on his shoulder, massive smiles plastered in their faces.

When she felt a roaming hand across her thigh, Seraphina laughingly slapped his hand, saying, "Not inside the carriage, Zach,"

She felt him chuckle under her, his hand retreating, "Yes, ma'am but I don't know about my future self,"

All Seraphina could do was laugh, shaking her head.

Aunt Veronica, despite being a bit sad about their decision to live outside the city, still wished them farewell.

Seraphina and Zachary promised they'll visit her at least once a month, saying they'll bring their crops and all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29K 1.4K 55
"I get jealous over anyone who comes near you. I Don't want to let you out of my sight for even a second, even as the pitch black darkness grows in t...
155 26 19
"Seraphina's life takes a terrifying turn when she becomes the focus of a strange stalker with an unsettling infatuation, despite inheriting a vast a...
75K 2.3K 43
He was mysterious, unreadable, cold and expressionless. Something about him drew her to him and it interest her. Perhaps it interest her a little bi...
Gone By Rachel

Mystery / Thriller

65.9K 1.6K 18
New book out-> Confessions of A Dead Girl ------------------ Amelia was like any other girl; quiet, shy and not that interesting. And as life moved...