Beyond the Sinister (COMPLETE)

By ariksbell

"𝐀𝐡, 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚𝐬 𝐈 𝐬𝐮𝐬𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭, 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐚 𝐛𝐞𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐲." The death of... More

I. the wake
II. the funeral
III. unwanted letters
IV. unknown sender
V. the ball
VI. bloody hell
VII. the haunted manor
VIII. the sudden visit
IX. not how you impress a lady
X. Get out
XI. hardheaded man
XII. playing good boy
XIII. Christmas creeps
XIV. you cry, you lose
XV. playing nurse
XVI. spontaneous trip
XVII. disguise
XVIII. security
XIX. where were you
XX. where am I
XXI. escape
XXII. farewell
XXIII. knowing me, knowing you
XXIV. love over all
XXV. the scheme
XXVI. controlling the truth
XXVIII. he changed
XXIX. no more, no less
XXX. the happily ever after
XXXI. pleasure
epilogue

XXVII. paradise

2.7K 129 28
By ariksbell

The past few days had been nothing but pure bliss.

And no, sorry to disappoint you, dear readers, but the two protagonists had not been involved in premarital sex.

Well, sure, maybe a little kissing here and there.

Fine, who are we kidding? Definitely lots and lots and lots of kissing but still, no premarital sex.

Premarital kisses only.

Seraphina doesn't know what came upon her when in the middle of the night, inside Zachary's bedchamber, she found herself stripping down, all bare, Zachary still downstairs.

Before she realized it, Zachary was already inside the room, his eyes widening at the sight of her fully naked, her jaw dropped.

"What are you doing, love?" He mumbled his gaze on her.

Biting her inner cheek, she replied, "I want you to paint me, Zach,"

And with that, Zachary painted her. Created a masterpiece.

These past few days, Zachary has been spending way too much of his nights in Seraphina's chamber, which, it seems like, she has nothing against.

Obviously, Aunt Veronica knew nothing of it since no doubt she would spit fire as soon as she ascertained the scandal is true.

You see, what transpired back there in the courtroom was just an act in the eyes of Aunt Veronica, a scheme merely to save the ass of her godson.

Thank the heavens she was discussing, scratch that, arguing with one of her so-called-friends when Seraphina and Zachary exchanged such passionate kisses in the backroom.

Aunt Veronica insisted Zachary eat his meals inside the Hearts manor, prepared by hers truly since she knew her godson doesn't know a thing regarding cooking. Plus, dear Lord, he doesn't have a single household staff.

Aunt Veronica wondered how he survived. Seraphina wanted to say he barely survived judging from the state of his manor the last time she went there during Zachary's stay in the Avebury jail.

Already, Zachary's shape began shifting to normal, his overly-defined cheekbones and jaws began to get a bit meaty.

Well, it's impossible for him not to since Aunt Veronica insisted he'll eat whatever she'll cook for him.

What's funny yet guilt-worthy was how Aunt Veronica solely thought Zachary was sleeping back in the Canning manor, not cuddling with her niece.

Throughout the endless night, the two of them solely shared the bed, their hands over each other, their legs entangled, Seraphina, it seems like, cannot keep her mouth zipped.

His eyes closed, Seraphina continued rambling about anything under the sun. How many pigs she'll purchase as soon as she's free to live in the countryside, what color yer house would be, the scent of soaps she'll make, the books she'll definitely reread, and even had the nerve to talk about what hairstyle perfectly suits Zachary, even suggested he should go bald even for once.

"Why did that even cross your mind, it baffles me," stated Zachary, chuckling, rubbing her back, feeling her warm breath against his throat.

Seraphina was pressed against his chest, her  cheek touching his white sleeping shirt, her arms around him, "I don't know too but why not try it, it could spice up your personality,"

Just by thinking of a bald Zachary brought laughter down at her, Zachary then teasingly pinched her nose.

Zachary was already sleepy when Seraphina remained to talk. Suggesting Zachary should sometimes try wearing tight pants and even a colored shirt just to see how it works on him. Even said he should wear one of those ridiculous wigs with powder back in the Napoleon times.

Letting out a soft sigh, Zachary got tired of it, "I do love the sound of your voice, Sep but please shut up,"

However, Seraphina, as if seeing that as a challenge, urged to be more talkative to the point Zachary covered her mouth with his lips.

That paved way to shut her mouth shut for a moment but a second later, she continued her disrupted monologue.

And so, Zachary raised his hand from her waist, covering her mouth against it.

As she struggles, all he could muster is a mere chuckle as Seraphina gave in, and just simply pressed her cheek against his cheek, closing her eyes, giving into serenity.

In the middle of the night, Zachary woke up, as usual, their position had altered, Seraphina was spread like an eagle in the bed, her mouth hanging, snoring.

Zachary merely laughed at the sight of her. With that, he tugged their blanket upwards until it covered their shoulders, Zachary, closing his eyes, wrapped his arms around her.

A minute later, Zachary was already slowly drifting back to sleep when he felt Seraphina return his warm embrace. No doubt, she's cold, and so, seeking warmth which he is more than happy to provide.

The following day, all while they're alone in the balcony, Aunt Veronica busy with preparing the meal, he discusses with her regarding the talks of the town, how disgraceful she has been, spending her night with him, unchaperoned. How she has been ravished. That she is no longer a virgin.

While Zachary informs her all these, he looks genuinely concerned, worried over her. And pissed, as if blaming himself over it.

Letting out a soft sigh, shrugging, she uttered, "I am well-aware of the gossips, Zach, I just don't care,"

Zachary was on the verge of objecting, saying something prominent when the footman approached them, informing them that the meal's ready.

Surprisingly, Aunt Veronica seems to not pay attention to it as much as expected. Sure, she went all crazy the first week, frightened of all the scandals, but as time went by, she began to lose much interest.

Seraphina felt utterly sorry for her aunt for she knew her reputation is linked with her aunt as well. What would they say? That she raised her like this?

What's worse was how the so-called-friends of aunt revealed their true colors, talking harshly behind her back. Not inviting her into tea parties, not talking to her in Church.

Even the Brents, Christoper pretended not to see her in the church yesterday, shaking his head all throughout, downright annoying her.

Weeks after what transpired in the court, everything's going smoothly.

All of them barely care about the gossip surrounding them. Let them think whatever they want, the important thing is, Zachary's with them.

What's more satisfying was how Zachary still kept receiving telegrams, requesting a business transaction with him. Well, at least his painting skills outweigh the ruined reputation.

While, once again, as expected, Seraphina and Zachary were cuddling, this time, in his chamber which they sneaked into after supper.

However, it stunned her when Zachary excused himself to the bathroom, that, as soon as he came back, he was holding a bouquet of fresh roses, no blood this time, but like before, the thorns were all chopped off. Hell, he even combed his blond hair.

Before she could ask him what's going on, he gets down on one knee, and before she knows it, he is proposing to her, a diamond ring before her.

Seraphina badly wants to cry any minute now, "Will you please spend the rest of your life with an aspiring farmer like me?"

With what he said, she chuckled. Her heart instantly knew what the answer was but her mind?

With that, Seraphina suddenly stopped in her tracks. Starred back at him and the flashing diamond ring in his hand. That ring probably cost a fortune.

He shouldn't have spent so much on her.

"Why?" she found herself asking, numb.

Zachary must've sensed her change of mood, he then rose, held both her hands, stared at her straight in the eyes with such desperation.

"I-i, I made things worse for you, with your ruined reputation, your beauty and intelligence are no used, no man would offer marriage again,"

At that statement of his, Seraphina puffed out a frustrated sigh. In utmost disbelief at what he's saying.

"I-i'm sorry but I can't be your wife, Mr. Canning," she answered, avoiding his pleading states.

Seraphina declined, thinking Zachary is only doing it because it's his duty. Perhaps, a price to pay for saving his ass from a life sentence imprisonment.

Seraphina wants to tell him how she wants a marriage built on love, not charity. That she doesn't need his pity.

However, her mouth remained shut. In the corner of her eye, she saw how Zachary gripped the diamond ring hard, perhaps, debating on throwing it or not in frustration.

For a minute, Seraphina thought Zachary would scream at her for rejecting his proposal.

Perhaps, part of it, it's her fault, she leads him into this. She let both of them act like a married couple, less sexual intercourse.

When her emerald eyes landed on his blazing blue eyes once again, Zachary was gripping her sleeves hard, his voice hoarse, his blond hair now unruly, he looked as if he's gonna lose his mind.

"I fucking love you, Sep, please," pleaded Zachary, tugging her sleeves, her bare shoulders showing but paid no attention to it.

This time, it's her turn not to reply. Instead, she merely nodded and sat back on the bed, biting her lips in frustration.

Zachary already told her that he loves her but is it really love? With all his major obsession and stalking, Seraphina's afraid that he does not love.

Soon, he might grow tired of her and realize all this is nonsense.

"Zachary, God knows how much I want to say yes but with this state of yours, I just can't. You need the change first, cut ties with those who want to kill you," she tremblingly uttered.

Zachary, joining her in bed, enclosed her hands with his, the next thing she knew, she was sitting on his lap, their faces only inches apart.

"I've changed, Sep, really," he responded, his voice close to crying. Seraphina looked him in the eyes, for she knew, as soon as their eyes met, the word 'yes' would be rolling down her lips.

"Yes but for how long?"

There was silence after that. But not awkward it was as if Zachary was in his own world.

Suddenly, she felt his rough fingertips on her chin, their eyes meeting, "Promise you'll wait for me?"

Chuckling, she ran her fingers through his unruly hair, "I have all the time in the world, love,"

At what she said, he looked as if all his problems went away. As if he was totally relieved as what she just promised.

He stunned her when he tipped her chin up, thus, their lips meeting. This time, their kiss is slow yet still, filled with passion.

"Also, for future references, I am not into extravagant rings," she whispered against her ears, her head lying against his shoulder.

Zachary's chin on top of her head, she then felt him nod, causing the corners of her lips to switch up.

"For a stalker, I expect better," she said, gesturing to the ring. Implying that she prefers a much smaller ring, not much stone in her ring.

"Forgive me, I still hadn't read the latest edition of 'Noob's Guide to Stalking'"

This time, their chuckles sync.

"Now, tell me about your dream proposal, do you prefer an orchestra or a bunch of orphans singing?"

"Really, Zach, nothing beats seeing you sing,"

Rolling his eyes heavenwards, " You and I perfectly know I am not musically-inclined,"

"Of course, I know that, do you remember when Mrs. Jane force-"

Zachary quickly cut her off from reminding him of his most embarrassing moment, "How about I'll just go bald, wear a glittery suit and a pair of high boots, would that be dashing?"

Seraphina shook her head, "Not really a Prince Charming material in my mind but hey, go give it a try, who knows, Mr. Florencio downtown might hire you like his latest model,"

The both of them chuckled, "I'll rather see you dance ballet than that,"

It was her turn to be reddened for the whole town knew how much of a disaster she was in terms of dancing ballet. Waltz, she was tolerable but ballet? A dying swan she is.

Truth is, she was torn between feeling frustrated over herself and him.

Mostly to herself since she cannot comprehend how she found herself falling to the guy who causes her creeps for so many years.

Still, she doesn't find herself regretting it. She feels like she's on top of the world when she's with him, that's that.

Sure, one might think Zachary obviously returns her feelings due to his actions, might it be creepy or not but still, Zachary is a man of peculiarity. She still cannot tell if this love is requited or not.

-----

Hope everyone's safe! Xoxo.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

52.5K 1.4K 28
A classic cliche of the bad boy falling in love with the good girl, except with a jail sentence, mafia connections and a baby Kade King has always w...
Gone By Rachel

Mystery / Thriller

65.9K 1.6K 18
New book out-> Confessions of A Dead Girl ------------------ Amelia was like any other girl; quiet, shy and not that interesting. And as life moved...
75K 2.3K 43
He was mysterious, unreadable, cold and expressionless. Something about him drew her to him and it interest her. Perhaps it interest her a little bi...
7.9K 249 30
Y/n had been best friends with Michael since the age of eight years old, they grew up together developing a tight bond with each other knowing each o...