Hearts in Zenith (Four Husban...

Galing kay DomiSotto

||Reverse Harem Upbeat Adventure|| For content review purposes, please note that Ismar is 18 yo when the stor... Higit pa

Part One, Year 7035
1. A Poor Thing Born with a Penis
Aesthetics: Kozima
2. He Helps Me Leave
3. One Small Obstacle
4. The Most Beautiful Man in the World
5. Like Night and Day
6. The Catastrophe
7. The Scorpia Assassin
8. The Chase
9. Help from an Unexpected Source
10. The Hair! The Hair!
11. Our Salty Moon
12. The Naiad
13. The Dangers of Fishing
14. The Blood Pearl
15. Strange Bedfellows
16. The Epiphany
17. The One-Man Show
18. Fresh Start
19. Commander's Word
20. The Day of Reckoning
21. Even More Reckoning
22. The Retribution
23. Anastasia's Finest Hour
24. The Pledge
Part Two, Years 7039-7040
25. Esprit De Corps
26. Barbarian. Peasant. Man.
Aesthetics: Ondrey
28. Small Talk
29. The Books We Read as Children
30. Told by Ashanti
31. A Stranger Looked
32. The Lake of Bones
33. To Kill an Undead Bird
34. The Torment of Flesh
35. Challenge Issued
36. One Blast of a War Horn
37. My Curse
38. The Fertility Rites
39. The Pyre
40. The Real Deal
41. A Glimpse of Spring
42. The Homecoming
43. A Face in the Crowd
44. Hunting the Stranger
45. The Intimately Familiar
Part Three, Years 7046-7048
46. Far to the South
47. Scorched by the Sun
48. In Her Majesty's Service
Aesthetics: Taffiz
49. Murder and Mayhem
Aesthetics: Parneres
50. Damned if You Do
51. Damned if You Don't
52. Nowhere Good (1 of 2)
52. Nowhere Good (2 of 2)
53. The Secret of the Lost Pyramid
54. Of Trust
55. I Am Your Eyes, You Are My Sword (1 of 2)
55. I Am Your Eyes, You Are My Sword (2 of 2)
56. My Old Flame
57. The Undercurrents
58. The Cruel Triumph
59. The Royal Trap
59. She Who Kills Elephants
60. The Wedding in Char-Kermen (1 of 2)
60. The Wedding in Char-Kermen (2 of 2)
61. Source of Enlightenment
62. Things I Didn't Want to Know
Part Four, Years 7057-7058
63. A Golden Insult
64. A Letter to Burn
65. A Bird Must Soar
66. Men Must Be Seen
67. Like Cats and Assassins
68. A Farewell and a Promise
69. Vacuum Must Broil
Aesthetics: Duke Nirav (with Soffika)
70. Idezza's Welcome
71. Remember Me
72. The Fall of Faithful Farid
73. The Price
74. The Rains Must Fall
75. Steadfast Toy Soldiers
76. Fight Fire with Fire
77. Lose a Pearl, See a Divine (1 of 2)
77. Lose a Pearl, See a Divine (2 of 2)
78. On the Brink
79. Heart of the Matter
80. The Oldest Trick in the Book
81. Your Maxima
82. Bad Peace
Character Art and Ismar's One True Love
Setting Notes
Synopsis, 500 Words
Reader Appreciation Page

27. The Venerable One

306 38 70
Galing kay DomiSotto

My body yearned to curl up on the fluffy furnishings of Ondrey's nest, close my eyes and worry about the rest of the barbarians in the morning. Furs had a slight stink of a wild beast, but they looked darn cozy.

"Do you still wish to see where Yadwiga makes her camp?" Ondrey asked with a refreshing directness.

I followed suit. "Yes."

Miccola rolled her shoulders till they cracked. "Fine, let's go then. We're done here anyway."

I picked up my cloak from where I had stretched it out to dry. It was warm, but stank of damp wool. Lovely.

"Escort Phedoxia to her tent, please," I asked, still wrinkling my nose. "It shouldn't be hard to find Yadwiga's fire. I'll go alone with Ondrey."

Sleep fled my lieutenants' eyes as if by magic, replaced by concern, but they recognized the dismissal. Miccola's fingers squeezed my elbow when she pushed past me out of Ondrey's tent, a 'be vigilant' pinch. Phedoxia didn't inflict further injury on my person. Her narrowed eyes conveyed a sterner message. As if I couldn't handle one man!

Outside, fires crackled in the gusting wind, showering hunched sentries with sparks no matter which way they turned. They cursed and spat on the logs, adding to the hissing of the damp, resin-weeping firewood. It smoked more than it burned.

Ondrey was a silent presence behind my right shoulder.

I twisted my head till I could see his eyes. Nothing ominous flickered in them, despite the reddish glint of reflected firelight. "Which way?"

"Toward the forest," he said cryptically. "Then you'll see."

We walked a little, to the temporary barricade of sharpened stakes. I put my hand on and shook it. It held fast, despite springing a little. It would stop a galloping horse. "Do you expect an attack?"

"I always expect an attack."

A man after my heart! That's why I tried to keep disdain out of my next question. We were at the edge of the camp already. All the tents stood at our backs. He just wanted to talk to me alone, confess that the witch was a figment of folk imagination. That he used the legend to usurp the chain of command. Not that he wasn't capable, and I understood the plight of being dismissed as unworthy of a position-- anyway, I asked him as evenly as possible, "So, where to now?"

His hands lowered onto my shoulders—not an unpleasant sensation of a large warm body behind me, his beard tickling my forehead—to turn me a bit to the left. He pointed, nearly brushing my cheek with the fluffy cuff. "Can you see this light over there?"

No. Yes. A red glimmer, no bigger than a star in the sky, trembled between the trees. "An old woman sets her tent this far out?"

"Not a tent. It's a cabin."

I could hear his strong heartbeat. His pulse didn't speed up at all. He probably spoke the truth.

"Yadwiga has a hunting lodge here? How fortuitous."

"You may say that. The forest witch has her lodgings wherever there is a heartwood. Her cabin moves through it."

"The cabin moves? How? Drawn by what?"

"Under its own power. It has legs. Chicken legs, to be precise."

There was only one rational explanation why our conversation was developing along these lines.

"I don't smell the drink on your breath, Ondrey. Is it Ashanti or a similar herb?"

"No, Your Grandissima. I'm sworn to abstain from all worldly pleasures, including spirits, opiums and... things, until--"

I couldn't see his face, but I felt him step away from me. I didn't think he was walking away from me.

"It does not matter," he finished quietly. "I'm telling the truth about the cabin. This is how the Forest Witch lives, it's her magic."

I breathed in and out, letting my guts decide if I believed him or not. My guts felt too comfortable around him. I didn't think he was a raving maniac. This was a bizarre land with dark beliefs and darker magic, the land of the exiles who had worshiped Bhutas in the past. Phedoxiua declared they still did. Perhaps she was right...

I wished she was. Dark magic was always stronger in the stories than the alternative. I needed all the help I could get to take Ratne.

However, I was nobody's fool. "I wish to see the cabin with my own eyes, Ondrey."

"It's not much to look at. A log cabin, one window, a screeching door. Badly in need of a fresh coat of paint on the window frame too."

"And it has chicken legs."

He drifted closer, tickling my neck with his breath. "Yes, but when it folds them under, it's just a cabin."

I chuckled, enjoying his tale, leaning more and more against him, his hands embracing rather than guiding me like before. Even the wind had died down, letting the clouds have a break from their interminable chase from one corner of the sky to the other.

"I grew up in the heartwood, in that cabin. Yadwiga took me in after my parents had perished in fighting. She does it sometimes. Takes in strays and orphans. Long life... I suppose it gets lonely for her."

I straightened out of his embrace, turned around, searched his face in the light of the struggling moon. Perished in fighting—he said this about his parents with a casual attitude of someone born on a lawless frontier.

This was no lie to impress a woman. Memories flickered in his eyes. It was just like clouds when they obscured and revealed Yansara's eye. Sad memories, then bright ones.

"Naturally, some say she eats those children to stay young, but..." Ondrey opened his arms wide to the sides to show he was in one piece, grown-up, if a hand shorter than a giant. "Maybe I didn't look tasty."

"Can't vouch for Yadwiga's taste, but to me you look perfectly delicious."

We laughed, strengthening trust between us. Even without this rapport, I could have made love to him, had he not put some distance between us as we walked back. His vow must have been comprehensive and included copulation.

"I do want to confer with Yadwiga," I told him before getting into my tent. "Nomadic cabins and your sad childhood story notwithstanding."

"Understood, Your Grandissima."

"Perhaps one day you'll call me Ismar," I said. I really hoped so, no matter how much I loved my new title.

***

Snow had stopped falling while Ondrey and I chatted about the witch. It didn't resume by dawn. I rubbed sleep out of my eyes with a handful of melting snow I scooped a judicious distance away from the tents. We'd probably march through mud today, but we'd march. And the sooner, the better. I had a castle to besiege.

I went to the supply wagons to impress the need to move faster on the women loading them.

My eyes up on a woman tying down sacks of millet, I nearly tripped over a crone. The ancient thing was lugging two sacks too large for her. Some women just didn't know when to quit the camp-following business. Though, from the way Ondrey talked about Tverizh yesterday, maybe the intermittent warfare wouldn't let them find an occupation more suitable for the golden age.

"Which wagon, nana?" I asked and hoisted the woman's bigger sack onto my shoulder.

She had the eyes of a bird glued to a toad's face. Wrinkles, scales, tufts of hair in the lip's corners, warts—every blemish of age one could think of, there were five of it. Next to her, Phedoxia would get her wish to look like a spring chicken.

"You're one of the Southerners, aren't you, granddaughter?" she asked.

"Yes, I'm. From a city called Palmyr." It made me homesick to say it—not like my usual self. Perhaps it was the crone's voice. It was so kind, it lulled a woman into comfort.

"Are you a Princess there, in the South?"

I chuckled—why would she think that? Then I remembered what Phedoxia told me. There were Princesses and peasants here, nothing in between. And peasant girls didn't like going to wars very much. The Princesses, on the other hand...

"No, I'm not a Princess. I'm a mercenary and earn an honest living with a sword in hand," I explained the best I could.

She bobbed her head, neatly wrapped into a white shawl of some fluffy wool, with a flower pattern. They must miss flowers during the long winters a lot. Everything was so white and gray.

"So you're like our riders? A woman paid to fight for a Princess in land and silver, to keep your horse and your kit in order?"

I wondered if that was what Ondrey used to be in the Grand Princess' army. A landed rider rather than a peasant levy, like Phedoxia had implied. It would have made sense, given his aptitude. Made him similar to me in every respect, except he was a man.

"Something like that. Only we call our ruler a Queen. Queen Zinaida of Palmyr. Maybe you've heard of her?"

The crone shook her head, a 'no'.

"And the money is good?"

"Can't complain." I didn't think she needed an explanation of how we could leave our employ, once the contract had run out.

"Enough for a woman to keep a husband in addition to a horse?"

Her pointed curiosity made me chuckle. "Aye. Want to sign up with the Deadhead Company, nana?"

She laughed louder than me, showing yellowed and surprisingly undamaged teeth. "Nay, child, it's too late for me to dream of men. It's for good-looking women like you and with good hearts! If you aren't fated to build a strong house with many bright-eyed daughters, who is?"

"I can't complain about my fate. I'm three years married to a sweet man. He runs the household for me with an honest hand. Humble. And very pretty." Kozima materialized in my mind's eyes, with his soft mouth and a curtain of dark curls over the tall forehead, gentle hands, heat racing under my lips' touch. I stifled a sigh. "Like I said, can't complain."

"Good, good... and here we are. There's my wagon, granddaughter."

We dumped our respective loads into the wagon. She wiped her hands on the dark skirts sticking from under the fur-trimmed felt vest. Squirrel or fox, I wasn't sure. Her face creased into a warm smile. I smelled fresh bread... lavender tea... other wholesome things--all in my imagination, obviously, since the camp stunk of horse dung, smoke and piss. Those were pleasant imaginings.

"When a woman is kind to her lesser, that's how you know she's good. You'll be blessed with many husbands and daughters, Ishmara from Palmyr."

"Thank you," I said, smiling and turning to leave. A blessing is a blessing, even if it comes from a strange crone in a foreign land.

"Wait... how do you know my name?"

It was my name, slightly changed by the local accent, perhaps, but recognizable. Also, one of the Bhutas was named Ishamara, but I was more troubled that she knew my name.

I whirled at her, but the crone was no longer where she should have been. In a busy camp, I stood all alone by the wagon. I twisted my head this way and that. Maybe she could waddle really fast. The white shawl was nowhere to be seen between the heads of the working women.

Ondrey was a different matter, however. He towered, sleeves rolled up for work, showing off the corded muscles. He was hatless today, with only a thumb-thick leather string across the forehead to keep his sandy hair back. His grin was so wide, it nearly pushed past his cheeks.

I advanced on him to find out what was so funny.

He greeted me with a respectful bow. "Your Grandissima, you wished to meet the Venerable Yadwiga. You had your wish."

Ipagpatuloy ang Pagbabasa

Magugustuhan mo rin

4.1M 143K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
1.7M 77.4K 67
ʙᴏᴏᴋ ΚŸα΄€Ι΄Ι’α΄œα΄€Ι’α΄‡ Ιͺꜱ ʜΙͺɴɒʟΙͺꜱʜ (ʜΙͺΙ΄α΄…Ιͺ+α΄‡Ι΄Ι’ΚŸΙͺꜱʜ) 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 π’‹π’π’–π’“π’π’†π’š 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 π’”π’Šπ’”π’•π’†π’“π’” π’˜π’‰π’ π’ˆπ’π’• π’Žπ’‚π’“π’“π’Šπ’†π’… π’˜π’Šπ’•π’‰ 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒃�...
787K 44.9K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
161K 7.2K 52
Jessica, a rich woman in her late twenties unexpectedly ended up in a Beast world. But luckily she met some young beastmen who somehow turned her lif...