Lifeline

By EinfaAsshi

In the world of loneliness and betrayal, he finds her support as his lifeline. The twinkle in her eyes brough... More

Introduction
Chapter 1 - The Love
Chapter 2 - The Fear
Chapter 3 - The Fall
Chapter 4 - The Monster
Chapter 5 - The Blood
Chapter 6 - Crumbled world
Chapter 7 - The Attempt
Chapter 8 - The Restoration
Chapter 9 - Start of Unseen
Chapter 10 - Start of Change
Chapter 11 - Back to Square One
Chapter 12 - Selfish Us
Chapter 13 - Ignorance Isn't Bliss
Chapter 15 - Broken Family
Chapter 16 - Understand Me
Chapter 17 - Trick of Party
Chapter 18 - Pandora BOX
Chapter 19 - Hidden Relation
Chapter 20 - A Deep Crack
Chapter 21 - The Last Giveaway
Chapter 22 - Waiting for You
Chapter 23 - Silent Night
Chapter 24 - Forgive Me
Chapter 25 - Bitter Realities
Chapter 26 - For Him
Chapter 27 - Alive But Dead
Interlude
Chapter 28 - My Love
Chapter 29 - Smiling Fate
Epilogue
Tears and Joy

Chapter 14 - Rain of Pain

442 32 17
By EinfaAsshi

Sitting in his study room, Abhay was fully focused on the screen of his laptop. His fingers were busy jabbing the keys of the keyboard.

From morning, he was busy preparing the presentation of his latest project and was planning to complete it tonight only. It was the least he could do to handle his office when away from the work.

The rattling of the window and the clap of thunder disturbed his attention. He gave a long look the windows shivering due to the cold window.

With a sigh, Abhay stood up and walked to the window. He looked at the dark clouds gathered on the sky, raging and roaring with anger.

The sky was presenting a chaos his heart was going through. It was as if nature was translating his emotions too well.

But he hated it. The reflection of his broken state would hurt him deeper. Whatever he went through, he wouldn't wish it for anyone. Not even for this nature.

His face twisted into disdain. Rain seemed to be in horizon and he hated the wetness and slippery mud.

Shutting the windows close, Abhay walked back to his place and started to work again.

He had to complete his project anyhow.

His phone rang and he dared to look away from the screen with a scorn. Working without any distraction was becoming a challenge today.

He was ready to cut the call but he couldn't ignore the call from his assistant. Anything important could be there and it was better he attended it.

"Yeah, Siddharth?" Abhay asked working on laptop and stuffing his iPhone between his ear and shoulder.

"There's a bad news, Sir" there was a hesitation in his voice.

Abhay paused for a while before starting to work again.

"No bad news can affect me anymore. Out with it, Siddharth." Abhay ordered with a pain lingering in his voice on the remembrance of Piya behaviour.

He was losing his Piya, his happiness and his love. What else could go wrong than watching your world burning into ashes?

"Sir, those attacks on you -" his voice died.

A deafening cry of thunder and the splashing of water echoed with intensity.

Abhay looked towards the window on the glass of which rain was hitting with intensity. The mist seemed to gather beyond the window.

"Hello, Siddharth?" Abhay asked when signals started to drop and voice came weaker.

"Sir"

"Look Siddharth, I don't care about the attacks on me. You're incharge of security. Do whatever you want, just Piya should be safe. I don't give damn for anything else" Abhay said and cut the call.

Frustrated, he almost slammed the iPhone on the table.

His gaze travelled to the rain falling outside the window. He hated rain. Hated the smell and thunder. The loneliness, they brought, hit him home.

His heart was burning in the icy coldness of the night.

Sorrow mixed in his aura and he accepted it as a part of him. Leaning his head on the chair, he gazed the ceiling with emptiness in his honey brown eyes.

Piya will love me. She'll love me back, one day. She will.

Abhay assured his broken heart and sat up straight. With a sigh, he struggled to block out the painful thoughts destructing his peace and tried to be attentive to his work.

He was half successful in focusing on his work when a shattering voice, startled him.

A frown came on his face. As far he knew, there was no maid or servant at that time. Dinner was cooked too. Then what were the voices?

"Piya?" Abhay thought and stood up immediately.

Is she fine?

Abhay could already feel his heart racing in his chest as he sprinted out of the study room, only to be welcomed by a crashing sound raised from the kitchen.

His heart dropped thinking about anything hurting Piya. Her pain was his misery. He ran to the kitchen without much thought.

He halted on the door. He could feel his pulse increasing. What the hell happened?

A glass was shattered on the marble and water was sprawled around.

Piya?

Abhay looked around for her. His heart had slowed in his chest. Slowed more than it should.

There she stood, huddled in a corner and looking at the shattered glass.

"Piya?" Abhay called with a strange fear. She didn't seem fine and he didn't understand why.

He watched her raising her head. She was drenched, her wet hair sticking to her pale face and her eyes were red.

Her appearance shocked him not so pleasantly.

Is she hurt?

His eyes widened in fear and he ran to Piya avoiding the broken glass.

"You okay?" Abhay asked taking her in a half hug. He didn't care for the water sticking to him. Her warmth was comforting to him and he had almost lost his mind thinking what must've happened to her.

Piya sneezed and pushed Abhay weakly.

"Am fine. Just hungry." Piya said trying to get back to heating the food.

"You should've told me. What was the need to do anything on your own?" Abhay said softly and tried to hold her but she pushed him away.

"Am not your prison," Piya shouted in a shaky voice.

Narrowing his eye, Abhay observed her face. She was shivering and her body seemed warmer than usual despite being wet. He held her forcefully and touched her cheeks. Horrified, he checked her forehead.

"You've fever," Abhay said, his heart thumped in his chest.

Piya sneezed and rubbed her face. Pushing Abhay, she started to heat the food.

"So what?" Piya said bitterly.

"You were outside in the rain?" Abhay asked, he didn't like her going in rain and falling sick afterwards. He wanted her safe and happy.

"Yes, I was. Enjoyed my time well in the garden and under the rain. Better than your suffocating presence. Now, do you have an issue with this too? That why I went there?" Piya shouted, her health and penned up pain taking toll over her.

She hated him and he could see that clearly. Her words were filled with contempt and he could feel his burning in the fire of anguish.

But the time wasn't right and he wanted to help rather than fight with her at that time.

Abhay tried to stop her from working since she wasn't fine but she pushed him harshly and he stumbled back a few steps.

"Stay away from me and let me have a moment of peace." Piya shouted.

"Piya, you're not feeling well- Let me help you." Abhay said almost pleading her to let him help her. He didn't want to see her suffering when he was there for her.

"Let me die then. Why do you care? You snatched everything and everyone from me. My dreams, my parents and my life. You've caged me in this money of yours. Do you want to take away my right of breathing too? What else do you want to snatch? What do you want now?" Piya shouted, she was angry and her face was getting red with every passing second. She didn't seem fine.

Breathless by her words, Abhay felt like someone took away his heart with those words. Hurt crossed his eyes but there was no time mourn over his words.

Abhay saw her swaying and noticed she could faint anytime. Forgetting everything and ignoring her wish, he jumped over the glass and ran to Piya holding her close to his heart.

"Leave me-" Piya breathed punching him on his chest and trying to push him away but Abhay held her strongly.

"Shut up now. You've said what you wanted right? Now, not a word more." Abhay said and took her in his arms ignoring her screams and resistance.

She was shouting against him and it was hurting him but her shivering body and shaky voice was paining him more than her words.

Taking her to their room, Abhay made her sit on the bed.

"Sit here. If I see you roaming around then you'll pay for it heavily" Abhay warned and Piya looked away.

Turning around, Abhay switched off the AC and looked at her. She had crossed her hands and was rubbing her arms.

Fishing out his phone, Abhay called. Siddharth anxiously. He tapped his foot on the floor.

"I need the best doctor at my place. You've got ten minutes." Abhay shouted on the phone. His worry clear in his voice.

Abhay cut the call and looked at Piya who was still shivering. He realised she was still in wet clothes.

"You need to change Piya. You're shivering." Abhay said, sitting beside her and holding her hand in worry.

Piya nodded and pushed him slowly.

"I'll wait outside, change in the room," Abhay paused with hesitation. "Call me if you need any help."

Piya glared at Abhay but Abhay showed no reaction. Her safety and health was his priority.

Silently, Abhay walked out of the room and went in the kitchen to get food for her while she was changing. He stopped at the doorstep, looking at the mess spread on the floor.

Shaking his head, he quickly placed the food in the microwave for heating. While waiting for it, he decided to clean the floor not wanting Piya to get hurt by the glass anyhow.

Taking the broom, he cleared away the broken glass and wiped the water from the floor.

The microwave beeped and Abhay washed his hands. Taking the heated food in tray, he rushed to the room quickly.

Not knowing if Piya had changed yet or not, Abhay knocked and waited for Piya reply.

There was no reply and this scared Abhay.

Why is she not replying?

Abhay knocked again.

"Piya?" Abhay called but no reply.

Waiting anxiously for five minutes, Abhay barged in apprehensive by her silence.

He halted.

Piya had changed into nightwear and was laying on her bed while shivering.

"Piya-" Abhay breathed in relief, ignoring the agony of his heart that Piya was avoiding her even in illness.

"Dinner." Abhay said, sitting beside her.

"Don't want to eat." Piya said with an annoyed look.

"Just stop fighting for a change, Piya." Abhay said exasperated by her behaviour that too when she needed attention.

Piya glared him but sat up silently.

Abhay was sure she was suffering more than she was showing otherwise she would've fought with all her might.

That's when Abhay phone rang. If it was not for Siddharth name flashing, he would've ignored it.

"Wait a second." Abhay said and received the call.

"Sir, it's raining heavily in Pune, doctor cannot come." Siddharth informed.

The news enraged Abhay.

"I don't care. Send any doctor." Abhay spat angrily.

"Sorry sir"

"You're fired Siddharth," Abhay said, feeling miserable. He wanted any doctor at his place, right now.

When Siddharth said nothing, Abhay threw the iPhone to wall, smashing it into pieces and letting the noise reverberate in the silent room.

Clenching his teeth, Abhay sat frustrated. He ran a desperate hand in his hair, messing them up. He didn't want to see Piya in such state.

His eyes fell on Piya and saw her watching him with wide eyes. He calmed himself and closed his eyes for a moment.

Silently, Abhay took the tray and started to feed Piya in silence.

After feeding Piya, Abhay placed the tray on the side table and wiping the sweat from his forehead, covered Piya with duvet.

The ringing of the phone startled Abhay and he looked at his broken iPhone in confusion. It was dead then what was with the ringing?

Abhay traced the source and found Piya iPhone that was ringing.

It was night so who could call her that too at this time.

Confused, Abhay checked the number and found it familiar. A second later, his mind worked and he realised Siddharth was calling him on Piya iPhone which meant Siddharth must've done something to help him.

"Sir, doctor is on the line. He'll suggest you appropriate medicines." Siddharth informed in his usual responsible tone.

Abhay sighed in relief. At least, it would be of some help. Siddharth knew what to do for him, after all.

Abhay explained the situation to the doctor and the doctor referred him some medicines, explaining it must be common cold accompanied by fever.

Abhay rushed around searching for the medicines. Finding some common cold and fever syrup, he fed them to shivering Piya.

He covered her and watched anxiously as she kept on shivering.

A moment later, she seemed to relax. Abhay sighed but still looked at her sleeping face with worry.

Without changing and without caring for the heat, he laid beside her and watched her sleeping face without blinking. He didn't care if it wasn't a big issue, he wanted her back to herself and that was all.

The night passed with Abhay gazing Piya and hoping for her quick recovery.

At the dawn, Abhay got down from the bed and pressed his forehead feeling a headache. His eyes felt heavy too but he ignored his system seeking rest and checked on Piya.

He didn't feel any fever and relaxed a little. Kissing her forehead, he walked away to take a quick shower.

Eyeing Piya time to time, Abhay got ready in his three-piece suit. Careful not to make noise, he sneaked out of the room, down the stairs and right in the kitchen.

Abhay checked the breakfast and found it cooked by the maid. However, fresh juice was missing. Gathering the required ingredients he blended them in the juicer and filled the jug with juice.

Satisfied, he moved out of the kitchen and walked in his study room. Powering on the laptop, he opened the Skype and called Siddharth.

"Good morning, Sir" Siddharth answered the call with a greeting.

"Get me a new iPhone and send a doctor over here. You got an hour." Abhay ordered and cut the call when he heard the distant creak of the door.

Closing the laptop, he walked in his room and found Piya getting ready.

"How're you feeling?" Abhay asked softly, his voice filled with concern and affection.

Piya shrugged without answer and brushed her air, standing in front of the mirror.

Abhay gave out a breath and walked towards her. He checked her forehead despite her resentment. To his relief, there was no fever.

"Come down, am waiting for you for breakfast." Abhay said and walked out of the room, knowing that was the only way she would follow his words.

Abhay sat in the dining area, giving out a breath of relief. His head was throbbing and a strong coffee was all he could think of at that time. But there was no time yet. He had to focus on Piya for now. He waited.

Piya arrived after ten minutes and sat beside him. Abhay smiled weakly. She seemed better than yesterday.

He served her breakfast and watched her eating in silence.

Abhay did not say or do anything more. He was cautious not to disturb her when she was not feeling well. More than eating, he was focused on Piya and picking her every expression.

Silently, he gave her glass of juice and observed the way she grimaced but drank nevertheless. He was relieved that she liked it and drank without issue.

Abhay took the dishes and Piya remained seated even after breakfast.

Abhay was about to talk to Piya when the doorbell rang so he went to check.

Siddharth stood with the doctor by his side and a box in his hand. Abhay raised his eyebrow in surprise.

Siddharth gave a nervous smile and forwarded the box to Abhay.

One hour was all he had given to Siddharth but all this wasn't possible in one hour, at least not Siddharth arriving Pune which only meant Siddharth was way ahead than Abhay's orders.

"Come," Abhay said making the way for the two.

Abhay led them to the hall from where the dining table was clear and Piya was sitting.

A look of surprise came on the face of Piya on seeing the doctor. She glared Abhay for bringing doctor without any serious reason.

"Good morning, bhabi" Siddharth greeted formally.

"Good morning" Piya replied with confusion in her eyes not understanding his way of calling her bhabi and the reason he was there with Abhay and doctor.

"He is my personal secretary." Abhay introduced, rolling his eyes at Siddharth. Siddharth had to give him a few answers regarding his sudden arrival.

"Siddharth, wait in the study room. I'll be back getting her checkup done" Abhay said, giving a meaningful look to Siddharth.

"Let's go to our room," Abhay said giving out his hand to Piya.

Piya fisted her hand but gave her hand in his with a bitter look. Abhay ignored her expressions and took her to their room.

Doctor gave a look to Siddharth and Siddharth shrugged, pointing him to follow Abhay.

Done with the checkup, Doctor assured Abhay that Piya was fine. Prescribing some medicines, doctor left.

Abhay was relieved that she was fine. He thanked the doctor and smiled genuinely.

Doctor left and Abhay looked at Piya. He wanted to talk to her but he remembered Siddharth was waiting for her and he wanted to get over with him early.

"I'll be right back." Abhay said and rushed out of the room to talk with Siddharth.

Abhay moved to the study room and found Siddharth waiting in there.

"I didn't expect you here." Abhay said, sitting on the chair and leaning his head.

"Was on the way when you called, sir." Siddharth shrugged observing his boss.

"There's important information to share." Siddharth said solemnly, getting on business.

"First, why are you not in office?" Abhay asked, he was actually avoiding the information of Siddharth because he could feel it wasn't good news and with Piya bad health plus his severe headache he wanted to be relaxed for a day.

"Your signatures were required on some important documents." Siddharth said pulling out the documents "Its urgent."

Siddharth gave the documents to Abhay and he signed them without reading.

"Sir, the information." Siddharth insisted when Abhay passed her documents, he wasn't going to give up easily. After all, it was important.

"What's it?" Abhay asked with a sigh as he busied on starting the iPhone. It was better to get over the news rather than bearing Siddharth's insistence.

"Sir-" Siddharth couldn't say more as Abhay phone rang disrupting their talk.

Siddharth watched impatiently as Abhay got out of his seat and moved to the window. His boss was ignoring him and his words that was why he ventured on coming to Pune to talk to Abhay. But situation seemed worse in his personal life and it seemed difficult to convey the information he held.

The change in his boss was not hard to notice. The cold and bitter voice. The messed up hair and the withered face. Too clear not to notice. Somewhere he had realized the reason was the wife of his boss and Siddharth was not really impressed by Piya.

"What's it?" Abhay asked. Siddharth could see the worry on his face and wondered what went wrong.

"Is she fine?" Abhay asked with a thumping heart.

This shouldn't go more worse for his boss. Siddharth already held bad news but if the bad news kept on raining how would he share the news?

"Why didn't you inform me before?" Abhay asked, panic and anxiety clear in his voice.

"Ah... My phone broke." Abhay's voice fell in regret and guilt.

"Take care of her. I'll come there in a day or two." Abhay said in a small voice.

Abhay cut the call and pressed his temples. His head was pounding. He did not sleep whole night. Now the news was not really great to help his headache.

"Siddharth, gimme a moment. I'll talk to you after lunch." Abhay tried to dismiss him, holding the table for support.

"I'll be leaving for Mumbai, sir" Siddharth insisted, he had to convey this information right now but fate wasn't working in his favour and his boss was being damn stubborn.

"Shoot," Abhay said groaning at Siddharth for his behaviour.

"Sir, mafi-" Siddharth tried to make it quick but he was interrupted once again.

This time by the wife of his boss.

"Abhay," Piya came with rage. "I want to talk to you." Piya said giving a look to Siddharth clearly indicating she wanted to talk right now without the presence of Siddharth.

Abhay looked at the rage on Piya face. He could already feel the worst coming. With a painful sigh, he got ready for a blaze of sorrow.

"Siddharth, we'll talk later." Abhay dismissed Siddharth and this time Siddharth couldn't stay either.

Abhay waited until Siddharth was out of their earshot and out of the study room. He turned to Piya bracing himself for the fight, but none of his preparation prepared him for what Piya did next.

A searing pain shot through his left cheek and his head cried in agony and pain.

Shocked, Abhay touched his heated cheek and looked at enraged Piya in disbelief.

Did she just slap him? Why?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25K 1.2K 29
Dedication : To all the girls out there who're looking for a men who loves in the day and fucks at the night with the same passion.... Divya...., A g...
166K 13.9K 24
~ꗥ❀ "𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐞𝐢𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐫....𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐞." ❀ꗥ~ Amrita Kaushik "Why don't you just leave me alone?" A 24 year old woman, with lot of...
18.6K 1.1K 6
This is a story on Mishbir that I have penned down for the first time. Two people who are deeply and madly in love with each other but due to circums...
74.2K 4.8K 33
This story is all about Abhay Singhania and Ruhani Sharma, who tied up in a contract marriage. Their relationship or bond is not more than a contract...