Loving Wright

By Sheena726

Kendra Wright is a journalist and single mother to a preteen son. Her high school sweetheart leaving her to r... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Meet Kendra Wright
Chapter 2: Pride & Joy
Chapter 3: Behind the Anger
Chapter 4: Making Changes
Chapter 5: A Night Out
Chapter 6: Drunk In Love
Chapter 7: Putting Myself Out There
Chapter 8: Blind Date
Chapter 9: Nothing But A Crush
Chapter 10: The Psychic
Chapter 11: A Happy Halloween
Chapter 12: Little NBA Star
Chapter 13: Mama Bear
Chapter 14: Happy Thanksgiving-Part 1
Chapter 15: Happy Thanksgiving - Part 2
Chapter 16: Secrets
Chapter 17: The Grants
Chapter 18: The PTA
Chapter 19: That's What Friends Are For
Chapter 21: Christmas Dinner
Chapter 22: One-on-One
Chapter 23: The Countdown
Chapter 24: The Kiss
Chapter 25: PTA Meetings Can Be Fun
Chapter 26: Are You Ready?
Chapter 27: Daddy Issues
Chapter 28: First Date?
Chapter 29: The Actual First Date
Chapter 30: Silent Auction
Chapter 31: The Rehearsal
Chapter 32: A Night at the Gala
Chapter 33: A Blast From The Past
Chapter 34: I'm Not Him
Chapter 35: Walk of Pride
Chapter 36: Spilling the Beans
Chapter 37: Decisions
Chapter 38: Goodbye Mr. Grant, Hello Mr. Grant
Chapter 39: Collateral Damage
NOT AN UPDATE!!
Chapter 40: Published
Chapter 41: Surprise Guest
Chapter 42: Mommy Wisdom - Part 1
Chapter 43: Mommy Wisdom - Part 2
Chapter 44: And the Award Goes To...
Chapter 45: First Time In Forever
Special Announcement!
Playing Wright is Out!

Chapter 20: School Dance

3.3K 231 26
By Sheena726

Eli...

I sat in the driver's seat of my car and looked down at my outfit. Was a jacket and tie too much? Should I have worn a bowtie instead? Or no ties at all? I shouldn't be worried about how I looked for a sixth-grade dance. Though, the dance itself wasn't what was on my mind.

I've always wanted to know about Kendra's past and always sensed that Kyle's father was a hard topic to discuss. But what I heard yesterday, I was not expecting. He left her to raise a child on her own, all because he didn't want to put a dent in his family crest. And not only did he abandon her, but he also pays her money, to this day, to keep that boy a secret. I'm sure his politician father had a lot to play in this decision. Hell, he was probably the mastermind behind it all. But who does that? Who abandons their child because it will make them look bad?

But that piece of information wasn't all. Not only did this guy do her wrong, but he was also the reason why she had sworn to stay away from certain men.

Men like me.

Men who were heir to a billion-dollar company, and the continuation of that company being all in his hands.

As if I didn't have enough reasons to question my decision.

All my life I hid my name and who I was, in fear that someone would want to take advantage. I kept this a secret on first dates because I didn't want a woman interested in me because of who my father was. But never, in my life, has my family name been a reason someone wanted nothing to do with me.

I spent all night tossing and turning. What would she think of me once she finds out? Would I have no chance with her? The thought of her turning me down left a nasty feeling in my stomach. I never knew I wanted to be with her so badly until now.

I've only known her for a few months, we were friends at most. But she brought something into my life that I needed. Something I couldn't quite put my hand on. Whatever that thing was, I didn't want to part with it.

So, in the darkness of my bedroom, I made a plan. I would continue to keep who I really was a secret. I would do anything in my power to woo her, to show her that I was nothing like Kyle's father or any of those men she's sworn off of. Once she's head over heels in love with me, I'll tell her who I really am. She'll accept me, we'll get to be together and we'll live happily ever after. Sounds lame, I know, but what else am I supposed to do?

I looked at myself through the rearview mirror and smiled. It was time to start my plan. I grabbed my camera on the passenger's seat and got out of the car. Eventually, I stood in front of the gymnasium door. It doesn't look like it used to though. I don't know exactly how Kendra did it, but the door in front of me looked like the doors of a closet. More specifically, a large wooden wardrobe.

I opened the door and walked through an entryway that was lined with winter coats and wooden arches. I easily spot a few of my own that were on the racks. So this is what she needed it for. Once I entered the main area, I took in our hard work. I'm pretty sure my 6th-grade dance did not look like this.

Encircling the large room were fake trees covered in fake snow and twinkling lights. White, silver and blue balloons and flowers could be spotted in every little corner. On one side of the room were tables chairs covered with cloths of those same colors. It seemed to be the hang out spots for the parents. To top things off, in the center of our makeshift dance floor that was currently filled with kids, was a single, tall, metal lamp post that looked exactly like the one in the movie. I must admit, we did well.

I scanned the room, in search of the one person I really wanted to see. I spotted her in the far corner, next to the photoshoot area, also searching the room. She was wearing one of those flared out looking blue dresses. I'm a dude OK, I don't know what the correct name for it is. Whatever it is though, she looked beautiful in it. It didn't take long for her to spot me. Her face instantly lit up, and those little butterflies made its way to my stomach. She was actually happy to see me.

I quickly made my way to her.

"You're late," she said with folded arms and a playful mug on her face, "Kids have been asking when they can take their pictures."

Kendra had this plan to have an area for the kids to take photos. The backgrounds were certain scenes from the Chronicles of Narnia movie.

"Sorry boss. I was busy trying to pick the right outfit."

"Pick out the right outfits?" Her brows raised

"A man's gotta dress to impress."

"These kids don't care what you wear Eli."

"I didn't say anything about impressing kids," I smirked at her before turning away to set up my camera

"Eli's here!" I heard Kyle announce from somewhere on the dancefloor

Within seconds there was a line of kids and their parents, waiting to take pictures. I sighed to myself. This was going to be a long night.

__________

Three hours and two hundred photos later, I was finally done. I made my way to stand next to Kendra who hadn't left the little photoshoot area.

"It's finally over," I dramatically said

"You were just taking pictures."

"Hey, taking pictures is way harder than you think," I said, "There's posing and angles and lighting."

"This isn't a magazine photoshoot, it's an elementary school dance."

"Tell that to these parents," I said remembering a particular mother who took a whole five minutes trying to get the perfect picture.

Her attention went back to the group of kids she was staring at before, Kyle was in the mix. He seemed to be having a good time. It was good to know that he at least made some friends here, and didn't just have to deal with those bullies all the time. But there was something a bit odd about this group. Kyle and another friend were the only boys among them. One of the girls was talking to him and I watched as she looked down and blushed when Kyle talked back. It looks like little man had an admirer.

'Since You've Been Gone' by Kelly Clarkson started playing, and I watched as the face of another girl in the group lit up.

"I love this song!" she exclaimed before grabbing into Kyle's hand, pulling him away from the other girl, "Come on Kyle, let's go dance."

"Uh, ok" he answered as he was being dragged to the middle of the dance floor.

Well, it looks like he might have two admirers.

I smirked and turned towards Kendra, but nothing on her face screamed amusement. She was not happy about what she saw.

"Looks like Kyle has some fans," I said to her

"More like groupies," she squinted her eyes at the girls

"Eleven-year-olds can't be groupies Kendra."

"I thought so too, but apparently they can," she pointed to the group and then looked to the dance floor, "Why would he let her pull him along like that, like some puppy on a leash?"

I knew exactly what this was, and I could help but to start poking fun.

"Maybe he likes her," I suggested

"He's too young to be liking girls."

"He's eleven and on the cusp of puberty. He's going to like girls," I said and watched as she shook her head, "He might even start dating soon."

"Oh no no no," she continued to shake her head vigorously, "there will be no dating and girlfriends. He has to focus on school and basketball."

"Kendra, you have to accept the fact that this will start happening soon," I said, "Hell, he might even break some hearts."

She turned and looked at me with disdain.

"My son is going to be respectful and chivalrous towards women, he's not going to be some player who takes advantage of girls."

"He's light skin, with the whitest of white boy names. He's gonna be a man whore."

She playfully slapped my arm and I chuckled.

"Sorry you had to find out this way," I said rubbing her shoulders

"You think this is funny don't you?" She asked

"It kinda is," I said, "You can't expect him to stay a kid forever Kendra."

"I know. I'm just not looking forward to those years," she said before a more serious look came to her face, "I don't want him to go through what I did."

"I get that," I said, understanding why she really felt the way she did, "As long as you've had the talk with him, he would at least be prepared for what's to come."

She adjusted her clothes and looked away, seeming uneasy by my statement.

"You did have the talk with him already, right?" I asked

"Uh..." she began. She didn't have to say more

"Kendra!" I scolded

"I know, I know."

"Why haven't you already?"

She hesitated before answering.

"The same thing we talked about at Thanksgiving."

I pulled back. It all made sense. She fared, as a single mother, she couldn't teach her son about being a man, and that included the sex part of it. I never realized how hard that could be for a single mother.

An idea came into my head. She would either be grateful or think I'm some creep.

"What if I help you," I said, "I can give you some points you should touch on. Or maybe you want me to be there when actually start the talk."

She sat silent for a while, contemplating the idea.

"That could work," she finally answered, "I think I would prefer you to be there. To jump in when I inevitably freak out."

"Good", I smiled, "Just let me know when you need me."

"I will," she said with the most grateful smile on her face, "And thanks."

"No problem."

There was no ignoring the feeling that was in the air right now.

It was charged with the kind of energy I never felt around someone before. But I had no time to indulge in it because we were approached by the spawn of satan herself.

"Hello!" Brooke greeted with the fakest grin on her face

"Hi," Kendra said sending one right back at her

"I must say, I love what you and the other parents did with the place."

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but that sounded like a little sarcasm to me.

"Actually it was all just me, but thanks anyway," Kendra kept up the fake politeness

A few seconds of intense gazing was shared between the two before Brooke backed out and turned to look at me.

"And who might this be?"

"Eli, photographer at Cooper's," I introduced myself

"Coopers?" she said to herself as she thought "Are you sure? I'm sure I know you from somewhere else."

Dread suddenly showed its face. I had totally forgotten that Brooke may recognize me from the few times her and family came to my father's Galas. What if she spilled my secret? What would Kendra do?

"No, I don't think so," I quickly answered, "I'm just a regular shmegular photographer."

"Oh, Ok," she said

It was clear that she didn't believe me, but she chose to drop it for now.

"Well, thank you so much for doing the pictures for us Eli," she said again before sending one final smug look at Kendra, "Enjoy the rest of your evening."

"You too," Kendra smiled a little too wide

With that, Brooke walked away, leaving us to ourselves again. I waited for Kendra to comment on our exchange, but she didn't seem to notice.

"Ooo, I hate her," Kendra dropped the smile and folded her arms

"Come on, she can't be that bad," I said and she turns to me tilting her head questioningly, "Ok, maybe she is."

"I'm never doing anything like this again," she said

"What about the impressing the school plan?"

"I'll find another way," she answered

I was about to say something when the starting beat for Bow Wow's 'Let Me Hold You' started playing.

"Finally," I raised my hands. "Some black people music."

Kendra chuckled at my exclamation. "You're not even all the way black."

"You know what, that hurt," I said and she laughed again, "My mom is half black, my dad is half black and two halves make a whole."

"I don't think that's how genetics work Eli," she kept laughing.

"Whatever," I waved her off

I placed my camera in its bag on the floor and turned to her.

"Come on," I said standing in front of Kendra

"Where are we going?" her chuckles finally stopped

"On the dance floor."

"To do what?"

"To dance of course."

She shook her head, "No, I don't think so."

"It's gonna be fun," I tried to sell it

She thought about it for a few seconds, "I don't know."

"Come on, let's show these little kids how we did it back in the day," I started dancing to the music

"What would Kyle think? He'll be embarrassed."

"You're his mother Kendra, you're supposed to embarrass him."

She took another few seconds to think about it then smiled. "Fine."

"Yeah," I cheered and grabbed her hand, leading us to Kyle and his friends

At first, she just swayed to the music, but it didn't take long for her to feel the music and start singing lyrics. By the end of the song, let's just say Kyle was thoroughly embarrassed.

It was good to see her so free. Good to see that she was finally letting her mind take a break. Brooke and her mommy problems were the furthest things on her mind as she danced with us. She looked happy. Really happy.

And at that moment, I promised to make her feel that as much as I can.

And there you have it, chapter 20! If you want, vote and don't hesitate to leave a comment with your thoughts. Thank you all so much for getting this book to 5,000+ reads! You have no idea how grateful I am. If time allows, a new chapter will be up next month. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

199K 4.3K 105
COMPLETED ✔️ | If you do not like forbearing female leads, then this is not the book for you... I'm serious | Breanna Nolan, one of the best photogra...
3.3M 109K 42
Bad boys/ players. I hate them, they think they can just walk around and get any girl they want. Well hello, not every single fucken girl...
236K 11.6K 65
Trevor Jenkins, a reclusive individual, appeared to have everything he wanted in life as the only son of a millionaire. However, behind the picture-p...
69.9K 4.7K 42
Joanna Brooks had her life all planned. She'd have graduated in time, got a great job, had a successful career. In the middle there would have been a...