Vein of Life.

By booohh

Whilst most kids would be playing ball, begging for ice-cream or prancing around in the sun, she would observ... More

Prologue.
Chapter One.
Chapter Three.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.

Chapter Two.

661 87 45
By booohh

Dedicated to @bluerrthanbluee for the awesome cover!

C H A P T E R   T W O 

Gaining the courage to lift my eyelids the next morning, was excruciatingly difficult. Not only because I barely got a wink of sleep, but because I knew what was waiting for me at school. Or to be more specific, who was waiting for me at school. 

I had made myself a jumbo cup of coffee this morning but it seemed as if the caffeine was having no effect on my body, as I yawned for the hundredth time, my eyes still droopy. 

Despite my exhaustion, as soon as Saleh dropped me and Wael off this morning, my body became instantly alert, scanning the area for the one person I was dreading the sight of. As we walked through the quadrangle, I secured my cardigan more tightly over my chest and blew out a gust of air. 

Please God, just let this one day go smoothly. 

“You OK?” Wael asked, eyeing my rigid body. At fifteen, two years younger than me, my brother towered over me in height, his semi-golden eyes, that were an exact replica of Saleh’s, staring down at me in worry. 

“I’m fine,” I lied. I looked ahead, focusing on the entrance before us, so as not to catch the irate look on my brothers face. He was immature at times, but he wasn’t stupid. 

We hurriedly walked off to roll call, with a few seconds to spare before the bell rang. I sat in my usual spot, near the window and relaxed back into my chair. I loved sitting here - whilst most people had trivial conversations with each other, I preferred to stare out at the purple-pink orchid tree that seemed to never die. It’s leaves were sprinkled across the floor, creating a circular sea of absolute bliss. Oh, how I would love to go and lie there with my favourite book right now. 

I was on good terms with most people in my grade. Maybe that was because I pretty much avoid everyone like the plague and make sure to stay out of people’s way. All my teachers didn’t really care about their students. Sometimes I wondered what inspired them to choose their career choice. To me, teachers were the mentors and revolutionisers of the next generation. Yet these teachers walked into the classroom and shoved barely well-constructed content down our throats, whereafter they would retreat to sit at their desk tirelessly, as if they had just completed the toughest of jobs. I snorted. What a joke. 

It seemed my prayer was accepted, as the day flew by exceptionally well after that.

Until the last period, that is. 

I had Studies of Religion last period and although it was my favourite subject, I was a tad skeptical of today’s class, as we would be getting a new teacher. And a very likely scenario, was that we would get Mr Biger, as he was the only other ‘qualified’ teacher in the subject area.

I pulled out my exercise book and my pencil case and waited patiently to see who our new teacher would be. I twirled my ball-point pen between my thumb and forefinger in anticipation, tuning out the discussions going on around me. It wasn’t like they ever interested me anyway. 

Please, don’t let it be Mr Biger.

“Good afternoon class,” a stern, male voice boomed, instantly halting the chattering and gossiping pupils. 

Shit. 

I exhaled and leaned back against my seat, defeated. Of course, Mr Biger would be our new teacher. Luck was just never on my side. If there was one person I’d want to set alight, just for pure revenge and fun, it would be him. I’ve only had him once before, but for that short semester, no other human or creature on this Earth was able to infuriate me more than him. 

He was known, even amongst his own colleagues, to be the most racist, arrogant jerk who ever taught at this school. At first, I thought the rumours being spread around about him were harsh, but when I had seen for myself what kind of a person he was, I could not have agreed more. 

For that reason, instead, I called him Mr Bigot. Because that’s exactly what he was. A bigot. He was the reason why I had been suspended numerous times. The fact that he was an atheist didn’t bother me in the least; people believe in whatever the hell they want to believe in. It was the fact that he was a hardcore, close-minded, barely educated fool, who had no idea on any religion, let alone my own, that bothered me. 

“Alright class,” he spoke up, slamming his suitcase against the desk and flicking it open. “Today we will be discussing lightly, each of the three major religions: Christianity, Islam and Judaism.” Everyone began to hastily write down a heading in their books. I just watched him like a hawk, his movements and body language alone, agitating me. “Firstly we will look back at some of the history between these religions. Anyone have something they’d like to share?” He crossed his arms across his wide chest, his black eyes jumping from person to person. Everyone else shrank back into their seat, most were afraid of him. I blinked at him. “No? Well I’ll start with a lovely fact. There was never a time in history when these three religions lived in peace together.” 

My jaw dropped. 

He was not being for real right now. 

He smiled smugly at the class and was about to continue on, when I raised my hand. His seedy black eyes found my hazel ones and they instantly narrowed in hatred when they saw the culprit. 

“Ahh, well if it isn’t Amira Dawud. Go on then, let’s see what you have to say this time. Although I warn you, the last time you spoke gibberish in my class, I had you suspended, so tread lightly. For your own sake, of course.” 

I grit my teeth and bit back a sarcastic remark. “History does show that the three religions have lived in peace before,” I replied simply. 

He raised his eyebrows challengingly. “Oh? Well since your obviously the learned one here, go on. Teach the class. You might as well come up to the front, too.” 

Breathe in. Breathe out. 

I ignored his statements which were obviously trying to provoke me and cause me to lash out. “Going back to the eight-fifteenth century, Andalusia is a great example. When the Muslim-Arabs conquered a part of Spain, the people they ruled over composed of all three faiths; this is one of the only examples in history where all three lived in harmony.” I could feel the eyes of my peers drift from me to him, anticipating his next response. 

“And where did you learn that?” He sat on top of his desk, and crossed his ankles. 

“It’s basic History. Sir.” I gave him a tight smile, and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear. 

After a few seconds of silence, he said, “get out.” 

I choked on my spit, blinking at him in shock. Murmurs and whispers commenced around the room. 

“Excuse me?” I questioned, stunned. 

“I don’t take lightly to mocking, Miss Dawud, you should know that.” When I didn’t get up automatically, he straightened up and narrowed his eyes at me again. “Get. Out!” I jumped slightly at his bellow. 

With a scowl on my face, I furiously threw everything into my bag and walked out, glaring at him as I passed by. For added measure, I slammed the classroom door shut and then ran down the hallway and out the entrance. At first, I thought I heard footsteps behind me, but when I looked back, no one was in sight. 

It’s going to be a harsh semester.

I walked up to the orchid tree, deciding to spend the half an hour left of the school day here, until Saleh came to pick us up. I had just closed my eyes, resting my head against the bark of the tree, when I felt a presence sit down next to me. His strong Joop perfume paralysed my senses and I instantly knew it was him. 

“What do you want,” I questioned. 

“Is that how you greet me after two weeks? I expected a little more than that! Perhaps a sweet and passionate kiss?” I kept my eyes closed. Maybe if I didn’t look at him, the need to throw up would lessen. 

“Piss off. I’m more annoyed and angry than ever right now and I don’t have patience for your foolishness.” 

I heard him shuffle. “Yes, I saw you running out of Mr Biger’s room. He’s a tough guy, funny nonetheless.” 

I didn't reply. I was hoping to God he would scanter off any moment now. 

“I’ll see you in Biology tomorrow,” he whispered, his hot breath fanning my ear. “And you better be there.” I shuddered. 

With that, I heard him get up and walk off. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 81 29
A girl diagnosed with lung cancer strives survival in a world full of hate, looks and gossips. How will she go on through her daily challenges whils...
208 31 29
/dɪˈlɪəriəm/ /dɪˈlɪriəm/ [uncountable] a mental state where somebody becomes excited and not able to think or speak clearly, usually because of illne...
98.1K 1.7K 33
(A/N) 9/13/19 - dude stop reading this trevor isn't straight and i regret writing this i'm keeping it up as a way to never forget my.... disgusting...
2.4K 39 25
This story begins in the country of Britannia. A country where several certain races live with one another. And at the center of these races stood a...