Hearts in Zenith (Four Husban...

By DomiSotto

||Reverse Harem Upbeat Adventure|| For content review purposes, please note that Ismar is 18 yo when the stor... More

Part One, Year 7035
1. A Poor Thing Born with a Penis
Aesthetics: Kozima
2. He Helps Me Leave
3. One Small Obstacle
4. The Most Beautiful Man in the World
5. Like Night and Day
6. The Catastrophe
7. The Scorpia Assassin
8. The Chase
9. Help from an Unexpected Source
10. The Hair! The Hair!
11. Our Salty Moon
12. The Naiad
13. The Dangers of Fishing
14. The Blood Pearl
15. Strange Bedfellows
16. The Epiphany
17. The One-Man Show
18. Fresh Start
19. Commander's Word
20. The Day of Reckoning
21. Even More Reckoning
22. The Retribution
23. Anastasia's Finest Hour
Part Two, Years 7039-7040
25. Esprit De Corps
26. Barbarian. Peasant. Man.
Aesthetics: Ondrey
27. The Venerable One
28. Small Talk
29. The Books We Read as Children
30. Told by Ashanti
31. A Stranger Looked
32. The Lake of Bones
33. To Kill an Undead Bird
34. The Torment of Flesh
35. Challenge Issued
36. One Blast of a War Horn
37. My Curse
38. The Fertility Rites
39. The Pyre
40. The Real Deal
41. A Glimpse of Spring
42. The Homecoming
43. A Face in the Crowd
44. Hunting the Stranger
45. The Intimately Familiar
Part Three, Years 7046-7048
46. Far to the South
47. Scorched by the Sun
48. In Her Majesty's Service
Aesthetics: Taffiz
49. Murder and Mayhem
Aesthetics: Parneres
50. Damned if You Do
51. Damned if You Don't
52. Nowhere Good (1 of 2)
52. Nowhere Good (2 of 2)
53. The Secret of the Lost Pyramid
54. Of Trust
55. I Am Your Eyes, You Are My Sword (1 of 2)
55. I Am Your Eyes, You Are My Sword (2 of 2)
56. My Old Flame
57. The Undercurrents
58. The Cruel Triumph
59. The Royal Trap
59. She Who Kills Elephants
60. The Wedding in Char-Kermen (1 of 2)
60. The Wedding in Char-Kermen (2 of 2)
61. Source of Enlightenment
62. Things I Didn't Want to Know
Part Four, Years 7057-7058
63. A Golden Insult
64. A Letter to Burn
65. A Bird Must Soar
66. Men Must Be Seen
67. Like Cats and Assassins
68. A Farewell and a Promise
69. Vacuum Must Broil
Aesthetics: Duke Nirav (with Soffika)
70. Idezza's Welcome
71. Remember Me
72. The Fall of Faithful Farid
73. The Price
74. The Rains Must Fall
75. Steadfast Toy Soldiers
76. Fight Fire with Fire
77. Lose a Pearl, See a Divine (1 of 2)
77. Lose a Pearl, See a Divine (2 of 2)
78. On the Brink
79. Heart of the Matter
80. The Oldest Trick in the Book
81. Your Maxima
82. Bad Peace
Character Art and Ismar's One True Love
Setting Notes
Synopsis, 500 Words
Reader Appreciation Page

24. The Pledge

329 44 47
By DomiSotto

Kozima stepped forward and knelt. He didn't step on the carpet. He chose to be next to me, on the hard tiles. Turmoil pooled in his eyes, not spilling over yet, only welling up as tears. His throat bobbed up and down, his hands shook.

I swallowed too, imagining what was going on inside him. Kozima was too shy to even sleep in a room with other orphans. He blushed before crossing an empty court-yard. All those glances trained on him must have been driving him mad.

Strangely though, his back was the straightest I'd ever seen. It gave his lanky figure the air of maturity he previously lacked. Also, it reminded me that his shoulders were wider than they appeared when he walked around hunched. His knee-length shirt didn't conceal them or the narrowness of his waist. His curls hang loose to his shoulders. Some other man must have helped him to shave his scraggly stubble to a length that shadowed his chin attractively.

He looked so beautiful, my heart lurched.

The Head Priestess allowed the scene of humility when facing judgment soak into the gathering. Then she almost chanted. "The Temple of Gala brings forth the charge of seduction on behalf of this young man."

The very words I feared she'd say next rung out so loudly, they seemed to reach the sky. This was a disaster, a nightmare. Kozima, Kozima... He seemed so smart, yet he'd done something so monumentally foolish, confessing his ruination!

This was one charge in the world that hurt the accuser more than the accused. And he brought it forward. The fool! He risked everything, his future, his dignity, Anastasia's favor... why, o why?

My glare fell upon his face. It was still completely composed. There was not a trace of impulsive passion men are given to.

He risked it all on the off chance that I would agree to remove the stain from his honor by--

"Ina'amatus, ina'guarda, ina'Gala," he rasped the words as his gaze slowly lifted to my face.

To be guarded by thy love and Gala's. A marriage pledge as written thousands years ago in the Mother of All Tongues.

Or, in his case, this wasn't a pledge. Neither was it a challenge. My whole body would twang like a bow string if I saw a shadow of challenge. It was a plea. His eyelashes trembled, like leaves in the wind, before he said the final word that sealed it. "Ismar."

"I—" I started, but the Head Priestess' lips twisted in disgust.

Oh, it was well-rehearsed, her interjection. Parneres would have applauded her timing. "Ismar, you stand before Gala, before Her Maxima and me. Before you answer, consider this."

My innards tightened. The gloating didn't behoove the graceful matriarch she had always professed to be. I searched the Captain's Commander's face and found it a mask of serenity cast in bronze. I wish I had the same ability, for I could feel my face twisting with every revelation.

"Do you think I know not what goes on in my Temple? Why Kozima walks into columns? Don't you think I know how a seduced man smiles?" the Head Priestess went on.

If she knew all along, if I was a wingless bug in the palm of her hand to catch, why did she allow the sacrilege to continue within her own Temple walls? Why?

She read that question in my eyes, her snide smile said. She tightened up the invisible screws on my symbolic torture rack. "Do you think that the guards were incompetent rather than ordered to not intervene with the will of Gala and Mythra, who are allies in Nirvana?"

I felt sick to my stomach. Kozima wasn't the only person to believe he could entice me back with his nubile body. I could forgive him for his delusion. I could forgive him anything!

But a woman should have known better! She wanted me to come back as a prodigious daughter, a penitent sinner to be forgiven with the world watching. Gala's mercy over Mythra's valor. Her plan had failed, but she still got her public display of largess, the clever witch. Her pawn, though, was becoming a liability.

The Head Priestess judged me to be an impetuous girl. She wanted me to be this ungrateful, selfish brat, a moral lesson to all the straying sheep. I'd ride into the sunset with Mythra's blessing and hers. Kozima would fall. They'd chase him away with the clothes on his back if... no, when I refused to accept his pledge.

And Gala would look upon the world, Their eyes full of sorrow.

Kozima knew the script better than I did. He couldn't have not known. He was far too devout, far too sensitive to the undercurrents in the Temple. Yet he knelt composed and unafraid. He wasn't playing a game any more. He was past caring what would happen to him afterward if I refused to take him as my husband. My heart went out to him.

Without taking my eyes off the old hag, I drove every syllable of the Mother of All Tongues through her throat, like knives.

"Ina'Mythra...

"...tea'guardo...

"...tea'amatus,

"...Kozima."

Kozima said his vow the way it was written at the dawn of time not as a formality, but as his declaration of faith in me.

I followed his example. I said my vows exactly the way it was written, to the letter, but also in the spirit of the law. In Mythra's name I shall love and guard thee. Forever.

He knelt Kozima of Palmyr, an orphan. He rose back to his feet Ismar's husband.

Miccola winked at me from the sidelines.

The ugly scarlet flooding Anastasia's throat was worth every problem that I'd just visited upon myself. Even if taking on the responsibility for my young husband, setting him up with a modest household would use up the last bit of silver I had inherited, that moment of triumph was worth it.

Customarily, the wedding guests threw handfuls of flowers over the newlyweds, sang happy songs and fed them a crumbling cake dripping with nuts and honey, cloven in two.

A priestess, any priestess, should have blessed us, completing the ceremony. It was a sign for the celebration of a marriage to begin. But following their Head Priestess, the entire staff of Gala's Temple kept mum.

Kozima and I stood in thickening silence. Dozens of eyes scrutinized my dirty clothes, scarred face, shaven head and one arm draped around his slim waist after I urged him back to his feet. And none of them dared to say the blessing.

The Captain-Commander broke the impasse. She hopped off her dappled gray with a girl's lightness. The horse followed her like a docile child despite the fire in her eye.

She threw Breva's reins to me. "A wedding gift, Ismar. Mythra's blessing!"

A royal gift. No, not royal! If Queen Zinaida was here or the Divine Empress of the South, she couldn't have matched the magnanimous offering.

The Head Priestess stirred, plastering a smile over her features. "Gala's blessing upon Ismar and Kozima! May their union be blessed with daughters and peace!"

The flowers flew at us, likely plucked straight out of the containers decorating the yard. They were red, orange and golden, the colors of joy.

I caught a nasturtium vine full of trumpet blossoms and wound it into Kozima's hair.

"Nasturtium, for this victory and all the victories to come," I whispered to him.

He replied, "Ismar."

I had the most beautiful horse in the world, a position with the Deadhead Company, my mother's money and the freedom to do as I pleased with my life.

So, I had everything I wanted, plus one more gift. I grinned at my dazed husband, nodding for him to climb into the saddle.

"Hop on, sweetheart. I'm stealing you away from this wretched place."

When in possession of a good fortune, a woman is expected to be in want of a spouse—everyone knows that.

And why shouldn't she?

Why wouldn't she?

Why indeed?

THE END

Calgary, February 27, 2020

Last Edited: September 2, 2022

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8M 78.1K 67
ʙᴏᴏᴋ ʟᴀɴɢᴜᴀɢᴇ ɪꜱ ʜɪɴɢʟɪꜱʜ (ʜɪɴᴅɪ+ᴇɴɢʟɪꜱʜ) 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒋𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒆𝒚 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒔𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒎𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒅 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆 𝒃�...
4.1M 144K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
787K 44.9K 40
"Well, well, well." I felt the entirety of my body stiffen. "Pray tell," the masculine voice murmured as his chin rested down onto my shoulder, "what...
51.7K 4.2K 35
Arhan khan An engineer by profession but work as the ceo of India's biggest company. Everyone fears him as he has the worst temper . His life change...