Work This Out

By ASE715

BOOK 2 OF 3 SHIELD is compromised, an evil murder bot named Pinocchio, and a Civil War! How will the Avengers... More

Chapter 1 ~ New Years
Chapter 2 ~ Goodbye for now
Chapter 3 ~ On your left
Chapter 4 ~ This isn't freedom, this is fear
Chapter 5 ~ Surprises
Chapter 6 ~ 1:03 a.m.
Chapter 7 ~ Monster
Chapter 8 ~ Ghost Story
Chapter 9 ~ On the run
Chapter 10 ~ Algorism?
Chapter 11 ~ The Winter Soldier
Chapter 12 ~ Bucky?
Chapter 13 ~ I am damaged
Chapter 14 ~ Remember your promise to me
Chapter 15 ~ When do we start?
Chapter 17 ~ Big Fun
Chapter 18 ~ Birthday
Chapter 19 ~ I found it
Chapter 20 ~ Language!
Chapter 21 ~ Not worthy
Chapter 22 ~ Pinocchio
Chapter 23 ~ Speed Racer
Chapter 24 ~ Safe house
Chapter 25 ~ Whiny murder bot
Chapter 26 ~ Unspoken thing
Chapter 27 ~ Saving the world again
Chapter 28 ~ Dead girl walking
Chapter 29 ~ Showtime a-holes
Chapter 30 ~ Avengers A-
Chapter 31 ~ Rage
Chapter 32 ~ Star Spangled Man With A Plan
Chapter 33 ~ Did he just say, 'Hi I'm Scott'?
Chapter 34 ~ Candy Store
Chapter 35 ~ Beautiful
Chapter 36 ~ Seventeen
Chapter 37 ~ Go back to sleep and starve
Chapter 38 ~ Can we not fight anymore?
Chapter 39 ~ Work this out
Chapter 40 ~ I couldn't honestly give two fucks right now
Chapter 41 ~ Can't touch this
Chapter 42 ~ Criminals
Chapter 43 ~ Not the only Winter Soldier
Chapter 44 ~ We know a guy
Chapter 45 ~ Main Attraction
Chapter 46 ~ You did it, Nick Carraway
Chapter 47 ~ Did you know?
Chapter 48 ~ I'll be there
Chapter 49 ~ Detention
Chapter 50 ~ Graduation
Third Book is up!

Chapter 16 ~ Father, daughter time

1.2K 29 21
By ASE715

Location: Avengers Tower

Dad and I arrived back at the Avengers tower yesterday. Bruce, Tony, Dad, and I are the only ones here since Natasha is off trying to find herself, Thor is at Asgard, and Clint is on a mission for a few more weeks.

I wake up early the next morning and make my way into the kitchen for some breakfast.

"Hey kid, how was D.C.?" Tony asks as he walks into the kitchen right after me.

"Don't even get me started." I laugh. "It's too early for a rant right now."

I pour myself a bowl of cereal and start eating. Just then Dad walks into the room.

"Oh, good you're up." He says.

"Why is that good?" I furrow my brows in confusion.

"You have school."

"I got suspended, remember."

"Your suspension is over."

I drop my spoon into the bowl. "You're telling me I spent my whole suspension fighting HYDRA when I could have been watching Netflix the whole time?"

"Yup."

"WHAT THE F—"

"Don't you dare finish that word young lady. Now hurry up so you can go to school."

I roll my eyes and quickly finish my cereal. I give Dad a kiss on the cheek and punch Tony in the arm before running off to school. I kinda miss the long runs from D.C. to New York. I meet Roy by our lockers as usual.

"How was D.C.?" Roy asks me.

I roll my eyes. "Don't you watch the news or check social media?"

"Yeah, but I want to hear it from you." He says as we begin walking to homeroom.

"That's a long story. One which I'm not in the mood of telling. Because of HYDRA I never got to enjoy my suspension and was busy taking them down." I grumble.

As we pass people in the hallway I see people eyeing and some pointing at me as they whisper to their friends. Natasha did leak all HYDRA and SHIELD files to the internet so what did I expect, so they know how I got my powers now, but that's fine.

"(Y/n), I'm so sorry." One of my classmates comes up to me.

Yeah scratch what I said earlier, it's not fine. Especially when they come up to me to talk about it.

"It happened a long time ago, I'm past that," I tell her and continue walking to homeroom.

Now you guys don't need to sit through all the boring stuff I did in school. I got caught up on everything blah blah blah, people still being fake ass bitches blah blah blah, and people gossiping about my involvement with the events that happened while I was suspended. The real fun begins when the final bell rings, Roy and I grab our stuff and head outside where Dad is waiting for me in one of Tony's fancy red sports cars.

"Does Tony know you're borrowing this?" I ask Dad as Roy and I walk up to the car. A crowd starts forming around us, being nosy and taking pictures.

"Maybe. Maybe not." Dad says with an amused smile on his face. He has one arm leaning on the car door on his side.

"What are you doing here?"

"To pick you up obviously." He says with sass. He wants to play that game huh.

"Thank you Captain Obvious." I roll my eyes.

"If it was obvious then why did you ask?" He says playfully.

"You know what I meant. You wouldn't be here unless there was a reason or trouble."

"Can't I just pick up my lovely daughter from school?"

I squint my eyes and raise a brow at him. "What's the catch here?"

"Just hop in the car. I want to spend some quality father, daughter time with you."

I turn to Roy who is enjoying this whole conversation.

"Do you think he's up to something?" I ask Roy playfully.

"Oh yeah, he's definitely up to something." He says back in a playful tone and looks at Dad who smiles at him.

I give Roy a hug before I hop into the car. "I'll see you tomorrow, Roy."

"See you tomorrow." He waves as Dad pulls off.

"Where are we going?" I ask once we are on the road. I turn to look at him, waiting for an answer.

"Well I did tell you in the elevator that I wanted to get ice cream," Dad says, taking his eyes off the road for a second to look at me before focusing back on the road.

"Right. Before Rumlow and his goons ruined that." I say, remembering it exactly.

He nods and continues driving, meanwhile I connect my phone to the car and start playing music. I wanted to blast it, but Dad of course told me to turn it down because he wouldn't be able to hear the sirens if there were any. Some of my songs he did like, others he didn't and he would scrunch up his face if he didn't like it which tells me to switch songs. I know for a fact he hates rock music, he says it's too loud so I stay away from that for his sake.

We get to the ice cream shop. I get (favorite ice cream) while he just gets plain vanilla.

"What flavor is that?" Dad asks as we lean against our, or should I say Tony's, car.

"It's (favorite ice cream). You should try it." I hand out the bowl to him.

He takes it and we switch so now I have his bowl of ice cream and he has mine. I start eating some of his. He takes a spoonful of my ice cream and his eyes light up.

"This is so good." He says and starts taking more spoonfuls.

"Hey! Don't eat all of my ice cream." I laugh as he tries to keep it away from me so he can eat it.

Dad laughs too, but eventually we switch back and finish our ice cream. I throw our plastic bowls in the trash as Dad gets something out of the trunk of the car. He holds up some laser tag equipment.

"Did you also take that from Tony?" I ask him as I raise a brow at him.

"He won't notice." Dad shrugs. "And I thought that we would have a little competition."

I walk over to face him, even though I'm much shorter than he is. "You're going down Spangles."

"We'll see about that," Dad says back, accepting the challenge.

We go to the park right across the street from us. We put on the laser tag equipment and then face each other, ready for the game.

What was supposed to be a friendly game of laser tag between us turned into a full-on competition though. We started using our training and SHIELD tactics to take the other down. I even went as far as using my speed to get points. It's tied up, 6-6, next point wins. There are only four ways to get a point, shooting them in the chest or the two pockets by the shoulder or shooting them in the back.

I run as fast as I can behind him, ready to shoot but he predicts my move and ducks, then whips his body around and shoots. I move just in time and kick at him while he's still bent down. He grabs my leg and yanks me to the ground, pinning me down. I vibrate myself out of his grasp before he gets a chance to shoot and I run behind him once again and shoot. He rolls out the way and I send a speed kick his way. He blocks his face with his arm, but the force of my kick makes him skid back on the ground. He goes to shoot at me from where he is but I quickly run behind a tree.

"I really wish I had my shield right about now." Dad chuckles.

I run back to the tower, grabbing his shield and then come back to the park, dropping it on his lap and running away before he gets a chance to shoot at me. I peek out from behind my tree just a little and see a red, white, and blue frisbee being thrown at me. I move my head back and grab the shield before it passes me, using it to my advantage or what I thought was going to be my advantage. Dad calls his shield back using the magnetic thing on his arm that Tony hooked up for him. The shield starts dragging me closer to Dad as it tries to come back to him.

"That's a really strong magnet," I say as I release his shield from my arm so it can come fully back to its owner.

I try shooting at him, but he uses his shield to block his chest. I speed over, sweeping at his feet but he does a backflip and lands right back on his feet ready to fight. He throws his shield at me again but I move to the right to dodge it and then shoot at Dad. Dad also moves to his right to dodge my shot, only to call his shield back. I forgot about it so his shield hits me in the back, knocking me forward. Dad runs forward, catching his shield and shoots at me while I'm on the ground, but I roll to the right and pull at his feet, also putting him down on the ground with me. I go to shoot but he hits me in the face with his shield, knocking me back on my butt while I hold my nose which is bleeding now. My eyesight becomes a little fuzzy, but once it clears up I see Dad standing in front of me, hand on the trigger. I run past him, to stand behind him. He turns around and we stare at each other intently. He automatically throws his shield. I lean to the left and watch it fly by my face, but then something catches my eye. The shield is about to hit a little girl that is watching us. She looks no older than seven. I run as fast as I can and grab the shield right when it was inches away from the girl's face.

I smile at her, barely breaking a sweat from the workout. "Are you okay?" I ask her.

The little girl nods and smiles at me with a big toothy smile.

Just then I see my armor light up and it vibrates. I look behind me and see Dad took a shot at me.

"That was a cheap shot!" I exclaim as I glare at him.

He shrugs. "A shot is a shot and I think I win." He says and puts on that dorky smile of his.

"Your shield almost hit a little girl!"

He calls his shield back to his arm and looks at the little girl. "I'm sorry about that miss. Are you alright?"

The little girl once again nods and looks at the superheroes in front of her with wide, excited eyes.

Dad looks at me, noticing my bleeding nose. He comes up and wipes it on his right sleeve since he always carries his shield on his left arm.

"I guess we got too carried away." He says, looking down at me with an apologetic look.

"It's fine, Dad. I still had fun." I say as I look up at him while he continues wiping my nose. I flinch back a bit as he wipes my nose. He stares at my face.

"Your nose may be broken." He says as he stares at it.

"Had worse injuries," I tell him. I give him a hug. "It's okay. I know you didn't mean it."

"Sometimes I forget my own strength." He chuckles as he hugs me back.

"What are you crackheads doing?!" The one and only Tony Stark ruins our father, daughter moment.

We pull away from each other and look at him with annoyed faces. I roll my eyes and sigh.

"What are you doing here, Stark?" I ask him as I cross my arms.

"Jeez kid, did you run into a tree?" Tony asks as he looks at my fucked up nose.

"A shield actually," I say, looking at Dad's shield.

"Why are you here Tony?" Dad asks him.

"Well I found out that someone stole my car." He says.

Dad and I look at each other and point at one another.

"She's not even legally allowed to drive yet Rogers," Tony says. "And she doesn't even need a car when she can just run everywhere."

"Damn it," Dad says under his breath but I hear it.

"Someone's in trouble," I say in a sing-song voice.

"I also saw a live stream of you two going at it playing laser tag which is my laser tag equipment you took from the tower." Tony also points out.

"You have billions of dollars. Why does it matter?" I ask.

"You should at least ask to use it. And you could have invited me and Bruce for the fun." He answers.

"Well we were having a little father, daughter bonding time, but we'll consider it next time," Dad says with a nod.

"Alright I'm hungry..." I start.

"As usual," Dad mutters.

I roll my eyes. "I need a cheeseburger."

"Are you sure you're not my child." Tony jokes as he puts an arm around my shoulder, guiding me to the car he drove here with. Dad follows behind us. Bruce is in the passenger seat waiting.

"Hey Bruce." Dad and I say.

He answers with a quiet, "Hey," and gives us a little wave.

"Anybody down for some Shawarma?" Tony asks as he claps his hands together.

"Last time we went there it gave me a bellyache," Dad says as he rubs his stomach.

"Why not Five Guys?" Bruce suggests.

"Or Chick-fil-A," Dad suggests.

"Olive Garden?" Tony says.

"Chipotle," Dad says.

"Subway," Bruce says.

"Oh my Thor I just want a fucking cheeseburger!" I yell, silencing them.

"Uhhhh... how about Burger King then?" Tony asks all of us. Bruce and Dad nod in agreement. "Alright, then it's settled. We'll meet you two there." Tony hops into the driver's seat and drives off.

Dad and I get into the car we came in and follow right after them.

—ASE715

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.5K 2.7K 77
So in this story, Y/N L/N has been Spider-Man for two years but all the villains and big bads could never have prepared Y/N for what's about to come...
155K 6.4K 38
Everything changes in the blink of an eye. One minute I'm having the time of my life with a new family, and the next, I am six feet deep hollow of em...
2.3K 20 30
S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what it seems. It was long ago corrupted, though no one knew. Two assassins emerge, and one knows them both. Can he save them or...