You Got Me (JenLisa)

By areyouthatgirl

"And the third reason?" Lisa asked as she rested her hands on Jennie's hips. Jennie laughed, her shoulders we... More

Author's Note.
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Author's Note
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Not A New Chapter But Please Read
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60

Chapter 51

27.4K 933 743
By areyouthatgirl

"Oh, shit!" Pranpriya hissed when she realized the time. She had been so absorbed with the film development that she had again forgotten to check the time, like how she usually would when she would spend the time inside her own lab back in Seoul.

She gathered hastily and clumsily all her stuff, including the processed films still hanging on the line for drying and knocking things in the process. A wizened man with hard lines on his face that could go on forever and had beady eyes behind the thick glasses and a toothless smile greeted her as he looked up when she emerged from the curtained door.

Pranpriya bowed to him with an embarrassed smile. In her arms was her Rollieflex which she cradled upside down while holding the rectangular bag of film canister on her hand. The envelope which she had kept the films she had processed successfully despite the senescent state of the lab and its materials inside were tucked between her armpits. She took a few pieces of baht from her side pocket which she had taken on the last second from her purse when she fled from her bedchamber earlier. They were the few bahts she had had exchanged at the airport before she departed for Thailand.

"Leaving already?" the old man asked her, disappointment was on his eyes, giving the Princess the impression that it had been a long time since he last had someone on his shop. He was sitting on a high stool behind the counter, his back hunched and shuffling photos after photos that he spread on the countertop as though he was searching for a particular one.

"Yes, sir," Pranpriya replied and tried to smoothed the bills before she offered it to the owner. "Thank you for letting me use your studio."

"No, no," he declined the money, shaking his head. "You can pay on your next visit," he said with a smile. He obviously had no idea that he was talking to the Crown Princess, which Pranpriya was grateful for because she really didn't want to explain, either.

Pranpriya sighed. "As much as I'd like to insist that you take my money, sir - I really can't right now. I'm late. But I will be back and pay you double, I promise," she said and gave the old man a low bow, thanking him repeatedly and then literally run to her car after, where she parked a block away.

She was late. She was freaking late and her heart was drumming madly against her chest from all the sprinting that she did as she threw her stuff on the backseat and started the engine. Beads of sweats were rolling down her temple as she manoeuvred away from the Thammasant Alley and joined the evening traffic in the main road. She couldn't count the number of times she had sworn under her breath while blowing the horn, which actually was a futile effort to unstuck the Lexus from the traffic jam. It was frustrating her that she furiously made a mental note to address this kind of traffic to the Minister when she would find an opportunity - if she would find an opportunity. Because the way things were going, her chances on getting an opportunity with the Minister were slim mainly because she had to go through His Majesty, first and foremost. Which the chance of getting on his good side was even slimmer because, by now, she knew that her father and his council of men were already discussing how to castigate her for all her wrongdoings. The thought was depressing. It was the same thought that actually made her decide to leave the palace earlier. Although at the back of her mind, Pranpriya admitted she wouldn't be in this kind of situation had she not fled from the palace in the first place and had she taken her guards with her, as she should.

Stupid.

She was being stupid and like how Chaeng would tell her every time, she was reckless and impulsive and now she was about to face the repercussions of all her impulsiveness and recklessness.

So stupid.

She cursed herself again as she anxiously drove past the gates finally (the guards greeted her when they recognized her car) and unto the wide concrete driveway of the palace grounds, already decided that she was, in fact, ready to face whatever her fate might be tonight. She had contemplated about it after being stuck in the traffic for half an hour.

The first thing that caught her attention was the King's Maybach parked and guarded significantly away from the rest of the cars that were parked methodically on one side of the grounds. Oddly though, Pranpriya observed that there wasn't any of the cars owned by the members of the King's Private Council. What she saw, however, among the many cars deployed for the King's guard's perusal, was her mother's car and the Benz from the Ministry.

Great! Pranpriya thought bitterly. Now she had to face the Minister, himself. Or someone important from the Ministry. She was doomed, she knew. There was no other word for it. Inviting anyone from the Ministry could only mean there would have to be long talks about legal stuff. Perhaps they would discuss revoking her papers or whatever. Or worse, the diplomatic relations between their country and South Korea could be put in jeopardy. The thought made her feel nauseous. If she'd have to appeal her case or whatever, she would. But how she'd exactly do that, she didn't know. She angrily and hurriedly parked the Lexus right in front of the palace. The loud screeching sound was gratifying. A member of the King's guard came marching probably to assist her but was quickly waved off by Captain Pakpao.

"Good evening, Your Highness," the lady captain greeted her as soon as she pushed the door beside her open. "You might want to hurry inside, ma'am. I'll attend to your car and carry your stuff to your chamber," said Captain Pakpao with a hasty look upon her.

"Why? What's going on?" Pranpriya asked the lady captain, baffled. But the woman only slipped past her without providing her answers to her inquiries and immediately took over her place behind the wheel as soon as she stepped out of the car, leaving the Princess dumbfounded.

"Your Highness!” the butler said loudly from the entrance. “Thank goodness you're back! Come! Come now!" Lek said while practically running down on the marble steps towards her, flapping his arms wildly on every steps, reminding Pranpriya of Charlie Chaplin because despite the obvious urgency, it looked comical.

"What happened?" Pranpriya anxiously asked the butler when the small man finally made it in front of her. Her heart was pounding all over again against the cavities of her chest, it was actually painful. The worried look on Lek's face and the concerned look the lady captain had given her were definitely not a good sign.  "Am I going to prison or something?" She was rambling as she and the butler were climbing on the steps towards the palace entrance and into the grand foyer where Pranpriya saw a group of royal guards manning the area. They bowed at the sight of her.

"Not that I’m aware of, Your Highness. But you have to hurry up, ma'am. They're still in the drawing room," Lek replied, leading the way towards the corridor that would lead them to the drawing room.

"Wait, Lek. Who's they?" Pranpriya asked while sniffing her nose. There was something curious hanging in the air. "My mother's here, isn't she? I saw her car outside," she said, her steps faltered a little.

"His Majesty and the Princess Mother are with the guests right now, Her Highness," Lek said, his voice was still laced with agitation, among something else.

Pranpriya nodded but her brows were still knotted in curiosity. She knew her mother’s perfume and it wasn’t that. There was something oddly familiar in the air but she couldn't define what it was exactly. "Did she look for me?" Their steps now echoed loudly on the deserted long corridor.

"The Princess Mother immediately asked for you upon her arrival, ma'am. But did not say anything after learning that you went out on your own. She did not seem bothered, actually," Lek replied.

Pranpriya was pleased. Expect her mother to pick her side always, no matter how wrong and bad her decisions were. But it did not answer her curiosity, though. And while her mother was unbothered that she went out alone, she, however, was bothered by the scent thay was sending her senses into spirals. Because she knew that smell but her imaginations could also be playing tricks on her at the moment.

"What’s that smell, Lek?" Pranpriya couldn't contain her curiosity any longer.

“Smell, Your Highness?” Lek paused and sniffed in the air. But all he could smell were the scents of the fresh flowers the servants had placed around the foyer and along the corridor. There was also the faint hints of detergents the servants used when gleaming the marble staircase this morning, but he was pretty sure it was feeble because he made sure that the servants would spray it with purifier after all the scrubbing. There was also the delicious smell of assorted sweets and spices coming from the kitchen – a promised of an extravagant feast later.

"Never mind,” Pranpriya replied, shaking her head at the absurdity of her imagination. 

They were now striding on the long decorated corridor to the drawing room, their footsteps echoed across the hallway because it was that kind of looked eerie and it somehow made her feel like she was walking towards her final hour. Lek was now looking anxious, although he was doing an excellent job hiding it but it didn’t go unnoticed and Pranpriya understood completely. The situation from earlier and the fact that she was late must be costing Lek his peace and confidence in her.

Pranpriya wanted to say something to alleviate the butler's predicament about and around her but she, herself, was as anxious as him, if not more. Her heart was beating faster and louder than ever as they were approaching the closed door of the drawing room and it honestly wouldn’t surprise her if Lek would hear it. And when Lek paused and wrapped his hand around the brass handle, Pranpriya drew her breath so loudly so that Lek hesitated and turned to her direction.

"Shall I, Your Highness?" the butler asked thoughtfully.

Pranpriya shook her head slightly. She raised her one hand as if telling Lek to wait as she tried to pacify the hasty beating of her pulse. And while she readied herself, she finally caught something on Lek's expression that she hadn't noticed upon her arrival. She knew something was up because a different glint could be seen visibly on the butler's eyes, even under the orange light courtesy of all the lamps on the corridor. She wanted to ask the butler to confide to her the identity of the people waiting for her inside but thought otherwise. Her staff and the rest of the palace staff were not allowed to gossip, especially around the presence of a senior member of the royal family. She had already put Lek's job in peril twice since her arrival on the palace and she couldn't add up another reason for his butler to completely lose his confidence in her. And so Pranpriya heaved out another breath while memorizing inside her head the words that she would issue to everyone inside the drawing room once she was admitted in, which consisted mostly of profuse apologies that she planned to address particularly to His Majesty, before she nodded her head once to the butler. It was now or never, she told herself.

Lek rapped on the panel twice before he turned the handle and finally pushed the drawing door open, allowing the mixtures of sweet scents of coffee and late afternoon delights to escape like a preliminary welcome for the Princess, including the now-stronger scent of strawberries and flowers, adding more to the curiosity and confusion to Pranpriya's quandaries. Her thoughts wandered back to Jennie and the sweet taste of strawberry and flowers on Jennie’s whole being. She shook her head to clear it. She was about to face her bitter fate behind the closed door and here she was vividly recalling the images that took place on her bed two nights ago. She was hopeless.

"Her Royal Highness Pranpriya has arrived," the butler announced with pride in his voice to the people inside the drawing room.

Pranpriya could hear the shuffling of feet against the carpeted floor and the voices that died down immediately upon Lek's proclamation and suddenly remembered that she was only wearing a white V-necked top tucked inside a black denim jeans. She smelled of chemical from the senescent dark room and the strong tangerine odour of the car freshener that seemed to cling on her desperately. Her hair was tied in a clumsy bun and she hadn’t applied make up, except the faint amount of lipstick she hastily put on before she left her chamber earlier. She should’ve asked Lek to bid her some enough time so that she could have at least freshen up. Her father and his guest would surely be unimpressed at the sight of her and her chance of getting to his good side has now become really slim, she might just abandon her plan completely. She nervously heaved out a breath yet again, moved her shoulders in awkward circular motion and shook her hands on her sides because she realized they were getting clammy before finally striding and admitted herself inside the drawing room. She crossed the doorway, passing by Lek who gave her an encouraging nod. She chose a spot comfortable enough to give herself time to quickly scan the faces of the people in the room.

She was expecting a large group. But instead there were only four people in the room. There was her mother in emerald dress, looking at her with a friendly and encouraging smile. The guests, apparently, were two women. One of them, the one who was standing directly in front of her father, had her back on her. The other woman in tailored business suit and had a haughty look on her and who looked Korean (which gave her the jolt and thought wildly if she was from the Korean consulate) with her small sharp eyes and pearly skin, gave her the customary bow when their eyes met.  And at the helm of them was her father in crisp suit and a curious look on his face.

She bent her head at the sight of his imposing figure. "Good evening, Your Majesty,” Pranpriya started. “I deeply apologize for keeping all of you waiting for me, Sir. I forgot the time and was stuck in the traffic and --,"

He waved his hand once on her, dismissing her but not unkindly. "No, you just made it on time. We were just talking about you. In fact, Miss Kim here was telling me something just now,” His Majesty said. He had a funny look hiding behind his sardonic expression. And out of all the words that her father had said, there were only a couple of them that registered to her and it wasn’t even that distinct.

“Miss Kim?” Pranpriya repeated blankly, as though to clarify if she heard it right the first time. And as if on cue and as though she was waiting for that exact moment, Jennie turned around to face her. Pranpriya held her breath so sharply she might have offended her lungs. She could not believe her eyes. It was, indeed, Jennie. Her Jennie. Her Nini, in the company of her parents and another woman who looked as beautiful and as elegant as Jennie but only older and with shorter hair, whom she finally decided was Jennie's mom. She opened her mouth to speak but words failed her. Shocked was an understatement. She looked around and noticed that every person in the room was looking expectantly at her, even Lek who instantly bowed and retreated from the room. And suddenly, everything made sense to her finally. What her father said at the table earlier at lunch, the lady captain and Lek’s behaviour when she arrived from her excursion and the strawberry and spring scent in the air. Jennie was here, right inside the comfort of her palace. Her palace. Never had she claimed the royal building as her own with seeming pride except now. All of a sudden, she felt the urge to flaunt it to Jennie Kim, to impress her. What a time for her to be this silly!

Jennie's mouth curved automatically in the corner the very second their eyes met, completely disarming her. Jennie was giving her the same exact sly smile that she gave her two days past when she found her in the kitchen back in Hongdae, whipping up breakfast for the two of them after they had sex the night before. The thought of it was seriously giving Pranpriya the shivers and extreme palpitations that she found breathing testy at the moment.

"Good evening, Your Highness," Jennie greeted Pranpriya in a very casual, almost business-like voice and bowed after. But not before Pranpriya caught nifty the smile that Jennie tried to suppress.

God, the woman was putting on a respectable show for the benefit of their respective parents, Pranpriya thought. It was actually funny. The way Jennie tried to maintain a straight face when she greeted her nearly made her snort. It was a good thing that she flickered her eyes imperceptibly towards her father’s direction because he was looking at them both, particularly at her with the same curious, gauging look. His Majesty was probably wondering how she would behave in front of them with Jennie around.

Pranpriya cleared her throat, also keeping a straight face. “Good evening, Miss Kim. What are you doing here?” she said as steadily as her voice could handle. But inside she was shaking. Her body was involuntarily reacting under Jennie’s gaze. Her heart was beating madly more than ever. Her senses were in full alert. And it dawned on her finally how empty she had been feeling since her return to the kingdom. Now, she felt so alive.

"I invited them over. They're the guests I told you about earlier," His Majesty provided the answer in a matter-of-factly manner, as if inviting Jennie and her mom for dinner was completely normal.

It was not. And a thought suddenly occurred to her. The taste of it was acrid on her tongue. She hated it. She suddenly felt like she was played at. Pranpriya suddenly thought it was unfair how Jennie looked affluence and beautiful and every inch elegant (while she was feeling tumultuous inside and smelled of chemicals) and even had the cheek to look at her like that. Like Jennie was wondering why she was surprise to see her there -- in Thailand, inside the privacy of her palace, in the company of no less than His Majesty and the Princess Mother -- along with Mrs Kim, and they were all looking at her as if the joke was on her. At least, that was how it seemed from her point of view because this wasn't exactly what she had been expecting to see. This was more than anticipating to stand before the Private Council or the Minister or anyone from that office while they would decide her fate. At least, she had prepared herself for that. Not this. Totally not with Jennie standing there with her cat-like eyes grazing at her intimately and affectionately, as though she was conveying to her the secret codes that only the two of them knew about, the ones they would whisper in the confines of their own world, and with those alluring rich red lips Pranpriya was sure was trying to suppress those gummy smiles she loved and missed dearly. The same lips that she had been dreaming day and night. And it was painful. So painful that she literally felt her heart plummeted downwards in spiralling slow motion. She had never felt so happy and crestfallen at the sight of Jennie, she realized. Because as much as she missed Jennie Kim so badly, Pranpriya didn't want her there. She didn't want to drag Jennie further and deeper into the mess that she created any more than she already did. That was what she told herself when she set out for Thailand. And it was the same exact reason that she hadn't been in contact with anyone back in South Korea, at least, while she was still unsure of her fate, including Chaeng, who she knew would kill her once the redhead would finally get a hold of her. And seeing Jennie and her mother tonight was absolutely not part of her plan. She didn't want them to stand witness to her castigation. That would be embarrassing.

"Okay. But why?" Pranpriya demanded before she could refrain herself. "And why wasn't I informed and asked beforehand about this?" she asked, now completely abandoning her plans to get to her father’s good side.

"The letter was delivered before we were informed that you were on your way home, sweetheart. We would've discussed and asked you about this had we known you were coming. His Majesty wanted to inform you earlier but he was afraid you would react this way," her mother interceded gently. The Princess Mother was already beside her without her noticing, reaching out and holding her gently on the shoulders as if subtly telling her to calm down.

Pranpriya looked at her mother, seeking in those dark brown eyes the confirmation that it was the truth. Her mother nodded and smiled encouragingly at her. "Come on," her mother said.

Her mother brought her to the party. And despite her reluctance, she realized she hadn't greeted formally the Kims, especially Mrs Kim who was studying her with those eyes that bear the same shade like Jennie’s at closer look. She greeted Mrs Kim in Hangul and offered her hand for a shake.

"How are you doing, Your Highness?" Mrs Kim asked politely but cautiously.

I'm--,”

Confused would be the proper term to describe how she was feeling exactly at the moment, despite the elucidation that her mother gave her. She was confused about how things were planned and materialized without her consent, as if she wasn't part of why they were all there in the first place and as if it wasn't her residence they had decided where to gather. But if she'd have to be honest, her state of confusion was mainly due to the fact that she was standing beside Jennie and Jennie's scent was highly intoxicating and that all she wanted to do at the moment was to bury her face at the base of Jennie's throat and get lost in all of Jennie's glory. But she had to tone herself down, especially in the presence of their parents.

"-- good. Thank you," Pranpriya supplied. "I'd like to apologize for arriving late, Madame. I lost track of time. And besides, had I known that you and Jennie would be here, I wouldn’t have left earlier," she said after she subtly cleared her throat.

"We understand perfectly, Your Highness. Thank you for having my daughter and me," Mrs Kim said.

Pranpriya could only nod and smile because there really was no point pointing out to Mrs Kim that this wasn't her idea at all. She then shifted her attention towards Jennie, who was looking at her as though those cat-like eyes had been waiting for her attention. Because the very moment that their eyes connect for the second time tonight, Jennie’s face literally lit up and it was an appealing sight. Something that Pranpriya could no longer hold back anymore, along with her desire to have the South Korean heiress all by herself.

"I’m sorry but can I excuse Miss Kim and myself, please?” Pranpriya said after mustering enough courage with her voice not faltering from all that’s going on inside her. “I just need to talk to her in private.” She was directly looking at her father for his consent.

"Dinner should soon be ready, sweetheart,” the Princess Mother said. Pranpriya knew her mother was still on the mitigation mode between her and the King. Something that her mother had been doing all these years.

"Yes, Mother. We'll join you, of course. I just need to talk to Miss Kim for second. Your Majesty?" She was now bravely asking her father.

His Majesty replied with a terse nod after considering her for a moment. “Make sure that you and Miss Kim shall join us in the hall for dinner,” he said.

“Yes, Sir. Thank you,” Pranpriya said gratefully. “Please come with me outside, Miss Kim,” she then told Jennie.

Jennie nodded and turned to Pranpriya’s parents’ direction. “Please excuse me, Your Majesty. Ma’am,” she courteously said and told her mom, after, that she would be back in a short while.

Once they were outside in the corridor and as soon as the door clicked closed behind them, their hands automatically sought and connected; their fingers laced affectionately without words spoken. Their steps were long and hasty and Jennie had to double her own so that she could keep up with the Princess’ long stride. None of them had spoken a single word even when they reached the foyer, except when Pranpriya told Lek, who they met along the way, that they would “be on the upper floor, Lek. In case you’ll look for us once dinner is ready. You’ve met Miss Jennie Kim, of course?” she said, which Lek replied with an bow.
“Of course, Your Highness. And it is my honor to meet you, ma’am,” Lek told Jennie with an indulgent smile.

“’Your Highness…’” Jennie muttered teasingly, as though she was rolling the words on her tongue and tasting the grace of it, while they were climbing the elegant marble staircase that would bring them to the upper floor. Pranpriya was a step ahead, leading the way, holding Jennie’s hand tightly as though she was afraid that Jennie might slip away from her anytime.

“It actually feels foreign, to be honest,” Pranpriya said with a huff but not arrogantly.

“It has a nice ring to it and it perfectly suits you, actually,” Jennie said pleasantly. “Where are we going?” she asked.

The Princess shrugged and chuckled. “I honestly don’t know. I just want to take you out from there,” she said.

She brought Jennie to the furthest room at the end of the corridor on the upper floor, but not before she allowed Jennie to marvel on the fine interior and the large canvasses that hung on the walls as they passed by and occasionally providing Jennie facts and trivia of her ancestry. It was a room previously owned by her aunt princess (the King’s sister) who had taken residence in the palace before her. It served as a study and it was bigger than what they had back at the mansion, Jennie thought, where high and wide shelves filled and stacked with books of different kinds and volumes occupying the walls. There was also a large telescope propped up in a tripod, standing in the corner beside the large window and some other assorted expedients and gears meant to use for academic purposes that could be traced back from previous decades or so.

“Chu would love it here,” Jennie commented after she looked around and overwhelmed by the volume of books and other academic stuff that the study was holding. She was particularly impressed with the revolving miniature of the solar system displayed in the centremost of the huge table. She was eyeing it with utmost curiosity.

“I bet she would,” Pranpriya said. She was studying Jennie silently. “Those are my aunt’s, by the way.” She pointed at the telescope and the miniature solar system. “She’s fascinated with Astronomy. In fact, she built a science museum in the province. The books, I believe, are part of her collection and I’m sure she already read all of it. They were actually entrusted to me on the day I inherited the palace but I haven’t touched any of them ever since. Except one book I found nesting on one of the drawers. It was about photography, which I learned was owned by my late grandfather and which I carry almost everywhere I go. It’s like a bible to me.”

“Where is she now? Your aunt,” Jennie asked curiously. The tips of her fingers were now gliding smoothly on the spines of the books she was checking out. She wasn’t much of a reader, herself. But there was something nostalgic about old hardbound with their leather spines and the accumulated amount of dusts that clung on them. It reminded her of Paris and the old bookshops she would often pay a visit whenever she was there, just so she could find something she’d give to Jisoo when she returns home.

“Last time I heard, she’s in London. Spearheading a scientific study about stuff or something together with a group of students she has granted with full scholarships. She’s a really brilliant, strong woman and I really admire her. I wish she’d inherit The Crown instead of me. She’s perfect for the job,” Pranpriya said.

“You really don’t want it, do you?”

“I don’t. I mean, I've known all along that I don’t want it. And the repulsive feeling of not wanting it had grown so strong lately that it’s what I can all think about after the news about us broke out. And it’s what I’m planning to tell His Majesty tonight in front of the Private Council or the people from the Ministry. I thought it was them they’d invited over for dinner. I did not, in my wildest imagination, expect to see you here,” said Pranpriya.

“Your father sent the invitation on the same day the article was released, you heard your mom. I was informed about it when I got home that day, my mom told me. I didn’t approve of it because I was worried about a lot of things. I particularly asked my mom if I’d be spared from joining this trip but she thought I would need this before I go out there and face the rest of the board,” Jennie said. She was now starting to examine the miniature solar system on the table.

“I’m really sorry I put you in this kind of situation, Jennie. Had I been completely honest about who I really am, this wouldn’t have happened,” Pranpriya said.

“On the contrary, Lisa, this is all my fault. I mean, yeah, sure. My mom had a little something to do with it but this is mainly my fault. If I’m not Jennie Kim and if I’m not the daughter of my father, this wouldn’t have happened. They would’ve spared me this trouble,” Jennie said with a huff and proceeded to explain further after she saw the confused look on the Princess’ face. “Someone from the company wanted to get rid of me. I mean, not kill me, I supposed. Just, you know, to step down. He thinks anyone is more fitting to head the conglomerate except me – including himself, of course – and at some point, I honestly get him. I mean, they’ve all dedicated themselves and everything about them for the conglomerate most of their lives and I was nowhere. I tried to run away from it like you did. But my dad thought I deserve to have my shot. So, he declared me sole heiress even when I was nowhere. They, the boards, didn’t like it, of course. When I took the position, they were all less welcoming but they tried to be civil around me. What I cannot believe, though, is that someone was actually scheming to take me out of there. It’s crazy. Or perhaps it was due to the fact that I offended his male ego because I refused to marry his son and his wife’s nephew.”

“His wife’s nephew? Did you mean—,”

“Kai, yes,” Jennie nodded.

“Huh,” Pranpriya could only huff.

“The name still stings?” Jennie teased. “I’ve only met him once. I haven’t heard from him after that day when he came to pick me up from your place,” she said.

“No. Come here,” Pranpriya said as she wrapped her arms around Jennie’s waist from the back and rested her chin on Jennie’s shoulder. “I can’t believe you’re here,” she whispered.

I can’t believe you’re here,” Jennie said and turned herself around to face Pranpriya, her arms automatically linked around the Princess’ neck.

Pranpriya frowned.

“I was worried about you,” Jennie said in a grave tone.

“I’m sorry. I should’ve called, I know. But I thought it was best not to call or whatever because I might change my mind if I did and I shouldn’t because it would’ve only made things worse for us both,” Pranpriya said apologetically.

“Hmm,” Jennie hummed.

“Are you mad at me?” Pranpriya asked sheepishly.

“With a battalion of royal guards outside ready for your disposal and your parents downstairs, I don’t think I’m even allowed to scowl at you right now, Your Highness,” Jennie said playfully.

“Nini, I’m serious,” Pranpriya groaned desperately.

“So am I. This is seriously overwhelming, Lisa,” Jennie replied and paused. “I can still call you Lisa, right? Or do I need to curtsy now?” she asked.

Pranpriya scowled. “You can call me anything you like and no, you don’t have to do that – not you, especially. Besides, we don’t do that here – not to me, anyway,” she said with a shrug.

“Okay, then. In that case, you’re still my Lili,” Jennie said brightly, finally showing Pranpriya those dazzling gummy smile.

“What do you mean ‘still’? I’m always your Lili,” Pranpriya said with a pout.

Jennie chuckled softly and said, “I know, Lili.”

“Are we cool? You’re not mad at me, right?” Pranpriya said.

“You’re not mad at me anymore? You seemed upset when you saw me earlier,” Jennie asked tentatively.

“I wasn’t. But if I’d have it my way, I don’t want you here. Not because I don’t like having you here, but because I’m scared about what my father would do next and I don’t want you to bear witness to that. It’s embarrassing.”

Jennie chuckled and muttered, “Don’t be cute,” before she tiptoed to plant a kiss on the Princess’ pouting plump lips. It was something that she had been yearning to do the very second she had felt Pranpriya’s presence as the latter walked in inside the drawing room. She missed her Lili so much, it was exhilarating how she was craving to feel her.

Perhaps it was all that Pranpriya was waiting for – the invitation and the affirmation that they were okay and that it was okay to pick up the pieces where they left them. Because she needed that to moor herself once more. To ensure that she was still sane – and completely insane, at the same time – and to seek once more the home that she had found in those kisses and in the warmth of those embraces that were clinging to her like how she was clinging to them at the moment. And Pranpriya wanted to get lost once again inside Jennie’s realm. In those sweet strawberry and spring scent that was teasing her senses from the moment she stepped inside the foyer; in those soft lips that promised a blissful discovery worth exploring all over again because she couldn’t get enough of them; in the curves of Jennie’s waist and hips that mold perfectly on her hold; and in the smooth, delectable skin of Jennie’s throat as she ran her lips up and down and across and all over it and slowly grazing the sensitive skin behind Jennie’s ear with the tip of her tongue, eliciting Jennie’s senses until she finally heard the soft moans of gratification escaping from the chaebol’s parted lips before she covered it with hers once again.

“They’ll look for us, Lili,” Jennie asked breathlessly after they pulled away to catch some air.

“Yes, they will,” Pranpriya said hoarsely on Jennie’s ear as her hands gripped Jennie’s waist to push her towards the edge of the table. “But I miss you,” she whispered and claimed once more the alluring lips waiting for her to devour.

Inside the drawing room, the occupants were left with awkward eerie silence. Nobody dared to speak first, lest they draw attention to themselves. The two mothers had been exchanging polite smiles, one that didn’t reach the eyes. They had been avoiding eye contacts, anyway. So there’s really no way to tell. His Majesty, meanwhile, was on his seat, silent and contemplating. He looked brooding, but the Princess Mother was so used to seeing it that she found it normal but nonetheless portentous. Jennie’s mom was starting to get edgy. It would’ve been different if his husband was around, she thought, but condoned herself after. She should stop yearning for the dependency that her late husband could offer. And she shouldn’t have let Jennie leave, she thought desperately to herself. But what else could she do, anyway. She couldn’t have said no to Her Highness.

“So.” His Majesty spoke finally, breaking the silence that Mrs Kim thought would last until their daughters would return. His word bounced on the walls like was pitched prudently so as not to startle the two women.

“Shall I alert the Lek, Your Majesty?” Pranpriya’s mother said straightaway, ready to leave her seat. Mrs Kim was impressed with the grace the other woman was displaying.

“Not when the two have returned. I should just cancel my return to the central tonight. The visiting heads of states will have to wait until tomorrow,” His Majesty said and turned to face Mrs Kim. “What are your plans, Madame Kim? I’ve been informed that the media in your country are still as vexatious as how they were when the news broke out two days ago? Any countermeasure being done?”

Mrs Kim nodded. “My daughter thinks it’s starting to get boring and dragging, Your Majesty. Jennie believes, although she doesn’t say it, that the issue will soon die down if the media won’t find something more than what they already know. Our security company is doing all they can to block and hide every piece of informations that could illicit the media’s agenda on my daughter and Her Highness’, Sir. But we agreed that there will more assault to her character once she would address this issue in front of the heads of the conglomerate. And that what I’m worrying about. I’m afraid that Jennie might crumble.”

“Your daughter is a brilliant woman, Madame Kim. And brave, if I may say so,” His Majesty said, looking genuinely impressed. “My daughter had never stood up to me like how Miss Kim did earlier, except when Pranpriya told me that she’s gay. That was the first and only time my daughter had been forthright about her intentions in front of me. I believe your daughter will handle it just fine – if not impressively – whatever is coming her way. You raised a fine lady.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty. My daughter has always been proud and stubborn. Her display of boldness earlier was not surprising. Although, it did cause me to worry. I was scared that her audacity might have offended you, Sir,” Mrs Kim said.

“It was remarkable, Madame. Hearing her say those words without an ounce of caution was commendable. She must have meant it. And as Pranpriya’s mother, I am beyond pleased. My only concern is my daughter’s happiness,” Pranpriya’s mother spoke.

“While her candour is remarkable and all, it does not obliterate the fact that once Miss Kim will return home to South Korea, she will have to face a new series of attacks to her character. However, she is of Korean descent and a powerful one at that. The people will forgive her for falling in love with a woman. They have to, because Miss Kim is charming and brave and honest. My daughter, however, isn’t of Korean descent. Pranpriya will be a subject of news hoopla in your country. They will excavate whatever they can to disintegrate her character, despite her high ranking in the kingdom and despite her being my daughter,” His Majesty said.

“I believe that the Parks are now forming a legal team to defend Pranpriya and protect her rights in Korea, Your Majesty,” the Princess Mother said.

“The Parks are outstanding in the legal battlefield, of course. Mr Park, as well as Miss Alice Park are two of the most brilliant lawyers I have met. But I cannot jeopardize my daughter’s integrity anymore, as well as the Crown and the whole kingdom,” His Majesty.

“What do you mean, Your Majesty?” the Princess Mother inquired.

“We are untouchable here. Pranpriya will be untouchable here. We have a law that prohibits anyone, including non-nationals, from talking adversely about any members of the royal family. No one will talk deleteriously about her while she’s here. She will be well-protected and thus the future of the Crown. I say she should not return to South Korea anymore,” His Majesty decided.

“That’s not your decision to make, Father,” Pranpriya said. She and Jennie were standing on the ajar door and they both heard what the King have said. She looked mad while Jennie beside her looked vexed. They decided to join them again without waiting for Lek to call upon them.

“As a matter of fact, it is, Your Highness,” His Majesty said. “I have allowed you your freedom. I have allowed you to wander and discover and be your own person because that was what you wanted. And look where it got you? My decision to let you go five years ago was now compromising your character and the kingdom. I cannot allow that to happen again. So, as your father and the King, I have all the right to decide for you as well as the well-being of our kingdom.”

“You cannot do that to me! I will not allow you!” Pranpriya said furiously and left.

“Lisa!” Jennie yelled but it was no use. Pranpriya was already sprinting across the hallway, away from her and all of them. She was about to ran after her but His Majesty spoke.

“Let her, Miss Kim. She will return,” His Majesty said coldly. “You and I need to talk in private, however. But not before dinner.” He stood up and started from the room, leaving Jennie and the two other women in contemplating but worrying silence. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

61.5K 2.1K 22
"I'm in love with you," she whispers, her voice breaking. Jennie's face softens completely. "So much that I think it might kill me, except I don't ev...
485K 7.2K 37
Just read it! I'm not good in writing description. This would be my first story, please support! I will try to write this story in full english hahaha
166K 3.7K 53
Lots say, once a best friend, always a best friend. What do you say? Obstacles, it has ensued in Lisa's life ever since that man stepped into their h...
30.9K 1.1K 40
50% true life events, 50% imagination Two brokenhearted strangers unexpectedly meet in a foreign country. Beautiful friendship blossomed and turned i...