Abaddon: The Story of Perseph...

By mnw_27

They say that Persephone was kidnapped. That she was forced to marry Hades. That she dearly missed her moth... More

Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Laverna + Thanatos
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Hades*
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone
Hades
Persephone: Epilogue
Acknowledgements
Thank you

Persephone

8.8K 377 171
By mnw_27

When I step inside of the cottage, I take one more glance outside to see if Hades is still there with his chariot and horses. He's gone. I didn't even notice him leaving; it was completely silent and went unnoticed.

I close the door and sigh, leaning against the door for support. Today was absolutely exhilarating. I've never felt so alive. So free.

"Dinner is ready!" Mother calls from the kitchen. I inhale the scent of the food she's cooking and frown when I realize it's yet another stew.

I set the table for the two of us and take a seat. Mother sets a bowl of steaming vegetables sitting in broth in front of me.

"So, how was the Underworld?" she asks, taking a seat across from me. Her skin is glowing from spending the day in the sun.

"It was fine," I lie. I'm not going to tell her that it was wonderful; she'd be very angry. I know that she wants me to hate it so that I'll return and work with her.

"Hmm." She takes a bite of her stew. "I don't believe you."

I set my spoon down and glance up at her. "What do you mean, Mother?"

She meets my eyes. "Do you think that I didn't see Hades's chariot outside?"

I sink down into my seat. "He was just being kind--"

Mother slams her fist onto the table. "He wants to take advantage of you! How could you be so stupid, Kore?"

"My name is Persephone," I mutter through clenched teeth.

"Oh, please. The Fates gave you a new name because they pitied you." She rolls her eyes. "Now, don't think I forgot about your end of the deal; you have to train to be an Amazon."

"I won't do it," I murmur, partially hoping she hears me, partially hoping she doesn't.

Mother sets her spoon down. "Excuse me?" she demands, her eyes hard and intense.

I bite my lip, considering my options at this point. "I said, I won't do it. I want to be married, Mother. I don't want to live a life of chastity."

Her mouth drops open. "Take that back. Right now, young lady." I don't reply. "How many times do I have to remind you of the intentions of men? They don't love you and they never will. They simply want pleasure. They'll leave you so quickly, you'll wonder if it ever even happened."

"Don't force your fears onto me," I plead. "What Father did to you was horrible! But that doesn't mean that every man is like that--"

"You don't know anything! Just listen to me. You're going to be an Amazon, and that is final!"

By now, Mother is out of her seat and standing over me. I shrink down into my seat as far as possible. My stomach knots and my throat burns. I feel my lip quivering. I can't do this anymore. I truly can't. I refuse to be an Amazon and give up a life of happiness and freedom.

"All my life," I start in a low, leveled tone, "I have listened to you. I have obeyed your every demand, never asking for anything. I grew up without any friends except for the nymphs. I'm a fully grown goddess with powers. There is no reason I need to stay here with you. There is no reason I need to listen to you anymore." My fists tighten.

Mother's eyes widen and she collapses into her seat again. I raise a confused eyebrow at her, wondering why she's reacting so oddly. "P-Persephone," she breathes, "you... you turned d-dark."

"What?"

Mother takes a deep breath and sits up again. "There was a... black fog surrounding you as you were yelling at me. Like you were evil."

I almost laugh. "You'll do anything to scare me, won't you?"

She doesn't argue. "Hades. It was Hades! He has you under his spell!"

"I'm not under a spell." I roll my eyes. "You know what? I can't deal with you any longer. I'm staying somewhere else tonight."

"N-no!" Mother screeches and follows me into my room. I'm kneeling on the ground, packing a satchel with clothes and other necessities I'll need for tonight. "You can't leave!"

"You're going mad!" I stand up and turn to face her. "Do you even hear yourself? I'm sorry, Mother. It's only for tonight. I just need to be alone."

"Promise me you'll come home tomorrow," she begs. "If not, I will find you. Trust me on that."

I know she will. And I'll be in so much trouble. "I promise."

"Now, your Amazon training starts next week." She brushes some dirt off my shoulder.

"I will not be an Amazon," I insist, swinging the satchel over my shoulder. "I am capable of making my own decisions."

With that, I brush past her and exit the cottage. I don't know what I was planning on doing; I just desperately needed to be away from Mother and her insanity.

I find myself climbing the gates to Olympus. Knocking on the heavy gold doors, I wonder if Father will even let me stay for the night. I've never given him much attention.

A servant answers and his eyes widen when he realizes who I am. "Persephone! What is it you desire?"

"If it's not too much trouble, I was wondering if I could stay here for the night?" I ask pleadingly, clutching onto my satchel. Cold shivers race down my spine when a chilling wind hits me.

"Oh, uh, actually, now is not a good time," he replies nervously. "Your father is, uh, with a woman."

I take a step back. "Oh. Okay. Thank you, anyway."

I leave Olympus, more confused than ever. I wonder if Hades would be okay with me staying in the Underworld for tonight? It's worth a try.

I enter the Underworld by paying Chiron for a ride across the River Styx. I make sure to give Cerberus some bread before crossing the bridge to Hades's castle. Raising a fist to the door, I keep telling myself that I'm insane.

No. You need to be away from Mother. You're fine without her.

I pound on the door. Moments later, the door creaks open. Hades is staring down at me. "Persephone?"

"Hi," I sigh of relief. "So, I tried standing up to my Mother--"

"Come inside." He ushers me into the castle, which is surprisingly warm. He must have a fire lit. "You must be freezing."

I shrug, but a small smile on my lips gives me away. "Oh, I'm fine. Thank you."

We walk into a lounge area with velvet couches and soft rugs. A fire is lit in the hearth. The walls are lined with bookshelves and beautiful artwork. "I'm sorry I interrupted you. Now, as you were saying?"

I sit on one of the couches and gasp when I realize how unbelievingly comfortable they are. "I tried standing up to my mother," I continue, "but she made herself the victim, as usual."

"Sounds like Demeter," he mutters, taking a seat on the couch opposite of me. "And then what happened?"

"I told her I needed some time alone and that I refuse to be an Amazon warrior." I stare down at my clasped hands. "So, I was hoping I could stay here tonight? I'm more than willing to sleep in the servants' chambers. That would be lovely, actually--"

"Persephone," he interrupts, chuckling. "You're always welcome to stay here."

"Oh, Hades, you're so kind." I spring up from the couch and rush over to him. "Thank you." I fling my arms around him and embrace him tightly. He wraps his arms around my torso, pulling me close. Hades smells wonderful, like firey ashes and minty air. He can most definitely hear my heart's wild beating. I almost feel dizzy.

How does he have this effect on me?

When I pull away, his face is only a few inches from mine. His gentle breath tickles my skin. "You don't need to thank me." The nearby fire is making his tanned skin glow in the otherwise dark room. His dark hair is tousled; I love it. Hades's black eyes travel from my eyes to my lips. I suck in my breath. "You're probably, uh, tired, right?" he asks quietly.

I nod, rubbing my heavy eyes. "I suppose so," I yawn.

He grins. "Well, let's get you to bed, then." Hades helps me to my feet and ushers me out of the lounge room.

I follow him up a grand staircase lit by torches and through a hallway. He leads me to an elegant room with black drapes covering the windows, black velvet bed sheets with black curtains covering the canopy. The room is so beautifully elegant but so very dark.

"Is this room sufficient to your needs?" he asks behind me. He looks a little nervous, I may add. Hades is fiddling his thumbs and he's rocking back and forth on his heels.

I turn to face him with a bright, but tired, smile. "Hades, this room is beautiful. Thank you so much."

"It's my pleasure. If you need anything, I'll be in the room across the hall." He steps out of the room. "Sweet dreams, Persephone."

With that, he closes the door, leaving me alone and free.

Squealing in excitement, I jump onto the fluffy bed and sink into the mountain of pillows and sheets. It's so soft. I've never been so comfortable in my life.

Sleep overcomes me, and the last thing I remember before drifting off is how Hades was looking at me tonight in the lounge room. It made me feel sick and a little dizzy but in a breathtaking and exhilarating way.

Hades is such a wonderful... friend.

HAHA little does Persephone know, right?!?! Can you believe I updated twice within two days!? Bam! I surprised ya!!! Much love to all of you <3 Please enjoy!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

658K 19.3K 55
Pandeia, the daughter of Selene and Zeus, lived happily in her mothers realm. She was loved by all, even Ares, who didn't like anyone at all. She was...
448K 15.2K 98
Persephone is the Goddess of Spring, belittled by everyone for her minimal divine duties, and overshadowed by her Goddess of Harvest mother, Demeter...
681K 33.1K 15
| A Wattpad Featured Story | Hades was well-cast to rule over the land of the dead. But what if Hades, the fearsome monarch of the Underworld was...
44.2K 1.7K 54
What if mythology isn't a myth? Callie Prescott has the rest of her life planned out: get into med school, become a heart surgeon, and heal the world...