Broken Reflection

By k_warriors

Book 4 in the Warriors: Falling Stars series. Series Description: A warriors series set in a time when Thunde... More

Preview
Copyright
Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
End of Book 4
Don't miss the rest of my Warriors books

Chapter 14

27 0 0
By k_warriors

Hailstorm jerked awake, sweating and breathing heavily. The nightmare echoed in his mind ominously like rumbling thunder. He let out a ragged breath, then laid his head down on his moss nest again with a sigh.

He'd dreamt he was back in the previous battle with DayClan, where Twigfoot had— Hailstorm cut off this thought immediately and closed his eyes. He couldn't think about that now, not when they were so close to having another battle with DayClan. Hailstorm opened his eyes again and glanced around, noticing that he wasn't the only one awake; hardly any cat was sleeping in fear of what the coming morning would bring. Hailstorm turned toward the entrance of the warriors' den and, through the thick branches and silhouettes of cats lying around him, he saw the sky, gray with the very early signs of dawn.

Hailstorm's heart skipped a beat, and he let out a nervous, shaky breath. Dawn was arriving, which meant the battle couldn't be that far off. Hailstorm shuddered; he felt worse than he had before the last battle. Now that he'd had all night to worry, Hailstorm realized just how scared he was. Were any DawnClan cats going to die today? Hailstorm shivered and turned to look at his restless Clanmates. Would this be the last night he'd sleep in this den? Hailstorm felt his stomach clench in fear, and a lump formed in his throat. His heart thrummed irregularly in his chest, threatening to burst with terror.

Suddenly there was a commotion outside in the camp. Every cat in the den turned. A silhouette appeared against the gray sky for a moment, then it padded out of sight. Hailstorm could just make out a voice, whispering in the dark, "...NightClan agreed... coming... ran ahead... tell you..." It was Spruceclaw.

"Thank you... good... sunhigh..." That was Eveningstar speaking.

Hailstorm turned back towards the inside of the den as Rustypelt, Sunfur, and Sparktail got to their paws around him. Soon every cat was getting up and exiting the den, so Hailstorm forced his trembling legs to stand, then he followed the other warriors into the warm, early- morning air.

The first cats Hailstorm saw were Eveningstar and Spruceclaw, who looked out of breath; he must have run ahead to tell Eveningstar that NightClan was on its way.

"How many cats did Beechstar bring?" Eveningstar asked.

"More than a normal battle patrol; I think they still want to avenge their Clanmates who died against DayClan at the last battle; they were really eager to join us."

Eveningstar nodded. "Good. Thank you, Spruceclaw. You may rest in the time we have left now."

Spruceclaw dipped his head and padded tiredly over to the elders' den.

Eveningstar turned his head and saw all of the warriors who had emerged from the warriors' den. He sighed. "You should eat. You all need your strength."

Every cat nodded distantly and walked trance-like over to the old, moss-covered fresh-kill log. Hailstorm grabbed a small mouse and sat down. He took a bite, hardly tasting it.

He glanced around him. Needlekit, Rosekit, and Pinekit were watching the warriors with longing, and Rayclaw sat near them, far away from all the warriors, with Stormpaw crouching fearfully beside him. Hailstorm blinked in surprise. He had forgotten that the DayClan apprentice was here.

Hailstorm tore his attention away from Stormpaw as he smelled a new scent on the warm breeze. He turned his head, as did every other warrior around him. He sniffed the air. NightClan.

Eveningstar must have scented it too, for he stepped toward the camp entrance. He dipped his head at the cream-furred tom at the head of the patrol. "Hello, Beechstar, how are you?"

The NightClan leader stepped further inside the camp entrance with a large group of cats, all wary-eyed and tense, close behind him. Copperleaf, Moonshine, and the rest of Spruceclaw's patrol were behind them.

Beechstar shook his head with a sigh. "We are doing fine prey-wise and health-wise, but..." He sighed and cut off his sentence, and Hailstorm knew he was thinking of Darkkit, recently killed by Rainstar, and Shadowkit, still imprisoned in DayClan's camp.

Eveningstar nodded in understanding. "Thank you for coming, Beechstar."

Mapleleaf, the NightClan deputy, spoke up. "We would never miss a chance to make Rainstar pay for what she and her Clan have done, especially now that she's killed one of our kits."

Hailstorm saw Larksong, the dark brown tabby NightClan queen, shake her head in despair. Hailstorm remembered that she had volunteered to foster Darkkit and Shadowkit alongside her own kit after Darkkit's and Shadowkit's mother had died at the last battle. Hailstorm sighed sadly. And now Darkkit was gone.

"Have you eaten?" Eveningstar asked the NightClan cats.

Beechstar nodded, but didn't speak. Hailstorm could sense the fear escalating in all the cats around him, DawnClan and NightClan alike, and he felt his own heart begin to race as the terror began to set in.

Would they succeed today? Would any cats die?

Hailstorm shuddered as he again wondered, Will this be the last day I ever see?  He shook his head. No matter what happened, he would fight his hardest to free the kits from DayClan's clutches. Even if it means I die...

Hailstorm shivered. But he couldn't  die! What about his Clanmates? They needed him!

Hailstorm's heart skipped a beat. What about Echoheart? What if she returned to find that Hailstorm was dead? Hailstorm's heart ached at the thought.

I must survive, not only for my Clan, but for Echoheart.  Hailstorm took an uneven breath. Please, StarClan, if you truly haven't abandoned us, protect me at the coming battle; I'll need your strength, and so will every one of my Clanmates. Protect all of us. With all the powers of the sky and the sun and the stars, protect us... please. Show me Twigfoot was right... show me, that you're here for us... that you're here for me, like you said you were...

Hailstorm squeezed his eyes shut tight and hung his head low on his sagging shoulders. Would StarClan really  be watching out for them today?

Hailstorm jumped in fright as some cat brushed against him. He turned, but no cat was near him. He sniffed the air in confusion.

He stiffened in shock. Twigfoot ?

He could have sworn to StarClan he'd just smelled his father's scent. Hailstorm looked around, heart racing. No one was there.

"StarClan will be with you, always... will be with you... never forget... never doubt..."

"Twigfoot!" Hailstorm exclaimed as he recognized his father speaking.

Hailstorm glanced at his Clanmates around him, but no one was paying any attention. Why couldn't they hear their former deputy's voice?

"Are you alright, Hailstorm?" Clovertail asked from behind him, jerking Hailstorm back to reality.

"I... I heard..." Should he tell his sister that he'd heard their father's voice? "I..." he began hesitantly, then meowed, "I heard Twigfoot."

Clovertail didn't move. She flicked her ears. "You what?"

"I heard Twigfoot. Talking to me."

Clovertail looked worried. "I... I think you're just tired, Hailsto—"

"I HEARD TWIGFOOT!" He didn't know where his rage had suddenly come from, but he was shouting, tears in his eyes. "I smelled him! I heard him!"

Clovertail flinched, then she widened her eyes, staring over Hailstorm's shoulder. Hailstorm turned. Twigfoot's faded starry outline stood before them. But before Clovertail could call out to him, he had disappeared with the hot green-leaf breeze.

"StarClan will be with you, always... always..."

Hailstorm was just about to say, "I told you I heard him!", but then he saw Clovertail's expression; her pale green eyes were full of fresh grief, and her tears fell to the dusty ground.

"He'll watch over us," Hailstorm meowed quietly.

"I know," Clovertail sniffled.

Hailstorm sighed. "All  of StarClan will."

Clovertail nodded mutely, staring at her paws.

"There's Creekfall!" Aspenleaf called out suddenly. "And Eaglefeather and Twilightfoot!"

Hailstorm turned. Twilightfoot, Creekfall, and Eaglefeather were walking into the camp, with Orangestar and his DuskClan patrol behind them.

"Eveningstar," Orangestar addressed the DawnClan leader sadly as the DuskClan cats reached the camp. Hailstorm felt a stab of pity. Orangestar and his mate, Gingerfur, had had their three new kits— Scarletkit, Redkit, and Amberkit— stolen by DayClan; and Redkit had been murdered.

Hailstorm shook with hatred. DayClan was going to get it today; they were going to regret everything they'd ever done to the other Clans.

Eveningstar was now gathering all of the cats from DawnClan, DuskClan, and NightClan in the clearing. Eveningstar invited the other two leaders up onto the High-stone, then he called all their cats into the clearing.

Hailstorm turned as Eveningstar spoke. "We are gathered here together to launch an attack on DayClan's camp," Eveningstar began, the white fur of his underbelly now scarlet in the dawn light. "The goal: rescue our kits. We will show DayClan that it was a mistake to do everything they have done to us. We will avenge all the deaths they've caused, but we have one order: do not harm queens and kits. We are not like Rainstar. We will not take advantage of the weak like DayClan has been."

Beechstar stepped forward. "Let today mark the end of DayClan's tyranny. Today, we will stop Rainstar. Today, DayClan will be sorry they ever thought they could control us. Today is the end of this evil!"

The clearing burst into yowling.

"Remember, were fighting for our kits, we're fighting for their future; a future where they will be safer," Orangestar called, sorrow embedded deep in his voice. "Show DayClan that we will never give up in the face of our Clanmates' safety, no matter the costs!" he growled.

Every cat in the clearing yowled their agreement— DawnClan, DuskClan, and NightClan alike. Hailstorm raised his voice to the sky, hoping StarClan heard his call and that they would be with him as the three Clans fought DayClan.

Hailstorm looked up through the clearing of trees above him as the first morning sunlight pierced the pale blue sky and sliced through the DawnClan forest. A crow cawed ominously in the distance, and Hailstorm shivered; it was as if it were a warning, a cry of foreboding as the looming battle drew nearer.

* * *

The hot morning sun blazed in the sky, floating just above the treetops.

Hailstorm rocked his haunches and sprang off the muddy bank of the river and onto the slippery, wet, protruding stepping-stone. He readied his paws and leapt again. Cold mist from below dampened his fur, and the rushing, white-foamed water around him roared in his ears. He looked up from the river at DayClan territory, where Eveningstar and Gravelpelt were waiting for him, looking tense. He sprang, concentrating on the grassy bank ahead.

Eveningstar had divided up the battle patrols just after the pre-battle meeting. Hailstorm was to be in the first group to attack DayClan, along with a patrol of DawnClan warriors lead by Eveningstar.

Stormpaw had suggested this morning, just before they had left, that if the first group to attack was made of cats from only one Clan, Rainstar would believe she could win easier. It would be a real shock to find the second wave of attackers filled with DuskClan and NightClan cats as well. The surprise, Stormpaw had said, would throw Rainstar off and make her easier to beat.

Hailstorm looked behind him at the rest of the patrol as his paws landed in the wet clay on the DayClan side of the river. Sparrowtail, Sunfur, Creekfall, Meadowheart, Rustypelt, Sparktail, and Moonshine were on the DawnClan riverbank, and they were going to be on the first attack patrol with him. He watched as they began to make their way slowly across the wide river cutting through the meadow and dividing DayClan from DawnClan.

The rest of the DawnClan warriors— Eaglefeather, Bronzepelt, Sagetail, Clovertail, and Aspenleaf— would join the second wave of attackers along with cats from NightClan and DuskClan.

And staying at the camp were Aspenleaf's three kits, the elders, the two medicine cats, and Rayclaw and Stormpaw. Eveningstar had ordered Stormpaw to stay at the camp; if Rainstar saw her at the battle, Stormpaw would be in danger from her own Clan; and every cat knew that Stormpaw couldn't bear to fight her own Clanmates, even if she knew they were doing wrong. Rayclaw had volunteered to stay with her and keep her company, and he'd also be able to help watch Aspenleaf's kits.

Hailstorm watched as Moonshine, the last cat to cross, joined him beside the bank, gave him a sad smile, then followed Eveningstar as they set off again.

Now they were slinking through the DayClan meadow, creeping by scattered bushes and lichen-covered boulders that dotted the grassy hills.

The meadow soon gave way to the moor, and Hailstorm felt foreboding building inside him as they journeyed into the heart of DayClan territory. His fear collided with exhaustion and the intensifying heat, and he found himself jumping at every sound— from a bee buzzing past his ear to the grass rustling behind him. His eyes darted frantically and he felt as though they were being watched.

They can't know we're here, Hailstorm thought. DayClan cats were supposed to be meeting a DawnClan patrol at the border at sunhigh for DawnClan's surrender; but by then the attack should have already been nearly over with.

Hailstorm shuddered. He was adding up everything that could go wrong in this plan, and he pondered the idea that DayClan knew they were coming, and had killed Cherrykit and Lilackit before they even arrived, as a punishment, or to weaken DawnClan's attack... Hailstorm couldn't bear the thought. He shook his head. They cannot possibly know we're coming.

But did they know? Could  they know? Hailstorm felt his throat go dry at the thought, and he realized just how terrified he actually was. His heart was pounding irregularly, and once or twice he could have sworn it was going to jump right out of his chest. His fur was plastered to his skin as the heat and nerves got to him. He panted and sweated, dread and panic growing rapidly with every footstep he took.

He could sense the fear in his Clanmates as well as they padded alongside him. And, knowing that kits' lives depended on them, the terror was skyrocketed.

"Smell that?" Gravelpelt hissed suddenly.

The exhausted and heat-swept patrol paused at the base of a hill, which offered minimum shade against the hot weather. Every cat crouched low, tasting the air. Hailstorm smelled what Gravelpelt had been talking about: DayClan, and strong, too.

"Its coming from... from over that hill," Creekfall panted, pointing with his sweaty nose at the top of the hill that they stood next too.

"Maybe that's where DayClan's camp is, over the hill," Rustypelt suggested in a long, uneven breath that came out as a whisper.

"Let's check." Sunfur nodded at the long-haired gray-brown tom. Hailstorm felt every cat's fear around him increase greatly. This could be it. DayClan's camp could be right over this hill. Hailstorm tried to keep his breath steady.

Eveningstar, who looked just as sweaty, exhausted, and nervous as his Clanmates, nodded and panted, "Follow me, quietly."

Hailstorm took a few quick breaths, trying to ignore the fear exploding inside him, and followed his leader up the grassy hill. The heat burned his back, and his head already hung low in exhaustion. He panted and glanced ahead; Eveningstar had reached the top of the hill. He stiffened and dropped to the ground, tail bushing up. Hailstorm's heart skipped a beat. Had they been caught?

Sunfur slunk up the hill and stopped beside her leader. She peered over the top.

"What is it?" Sparrowtail hissed fearfully, crouching low in the grass.

Sunfur turned around. "It is their camp. Right at the base of this hill," she whispered.

Eveningstar slowly made his way back down toward the group of warriors huddled halfway up the hill, Sunfur following him. "No cat saw us," he whispered. "But we need to lead the attack soon. Orangestar and Beechstar are probably on their way now."

Every cat nodded weakly.

"Their camp is well protected. They have a few large boulders in and around it, and clumps of bushes too. The bushes are dens. If you smell DayClan kit-scent, do not harm their queens or kits; this is an attack to rescue our kits.

"Sunfur, you will lead the patrol that will rescue the kits. Sparrowtail, Hailstorm, Moonshine, Rustypelt, and Sparktail, you will be on her patrol. Fight any cat guarding the kits, even if it is a queen. Don't harm queens if they're trying to protect their own kits or aren't involved in the fighting, but fight any cat preventing you from rescuing our  kits."

Every cat nodded. The heat and terror together made Hailstorm feel nauseous, and he found it hard to concentrate on what Eveningstar was saying.

"Now, the rest of you, follow me and try to keep DayClan cats away from where our kits are, but also try and find Rainstar. Remember our other goal: get rid of Rainstar and her plans once and for all. We won't kill her; that won't work since she has more than one of her nine lives still remaining. But we will drive her out, or at least we can try." Eveningstar looked at all of them and sighed. "This will be one of the toughest battles we've fought against DayClan. Remember: the kits' lives are depending on us, and every other Clan is depending on each other to try and drive Rainstar from DayClan and rid the forest of her tyranny."

Eveningstar paused again, panting in the heat. He looked at each of them in turn, his brown eyes filled deep with trust and caring, and Hailstorm was glad Eveningstar would be the one leading them into this battle. Hailstorm couldn't ask for a better leader.

Eveningstar took another deep breath and muttered, "May StarClan watch over us all." The he turned and crept up the hill, and Hailstorm, shaking, followed him. He blinked away the brightness of the sun as he reached the top of the hill and glanced down at the clumps of sage and heather surrounding large stones and boulders. Thin grass covered the ground like moss, and Hailstorm could see the DayClan cats milling about their day, unaware of the DawnClan cats on the hill above them.

"DawnClan, attack!" Eveningstar yowled.

Hailstorm bunched his muscles and sprang from the grass. The DawnClan warriors streamed over the hill and flooded into DayClan's camp, yowling battle cries. DayClan cats clashed with DawnClan, and howls of shock filled the air. Hailstorm bared his teeth, all fear and exhaustion forgotten as he heard a kit scream. He unsheathed his claws and, heart pounding, leapt into the thick of the battle.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 462 22
𝘙𝘌𝘛𝘜𝘙𝘕 𝘛𝘖 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘓𝘐𝘝𝘌𝘚 𝘖𝘍 𝘚𝘒𝘠𝘓𝘌𝘈𝘗 𝘈𝘕𝘋 𝘚𝘜𝘕𝘚𝘛𝘖𝘙𝘔 𝘈𝘚 𝘛𝘏𝘌𝘠 𝘍𝘈𝘊𝘌 𝘛𝘏𝘌 𝘔𝘖𝘚𝘛 𝘋𝘈𝘕𝘎𝘌𝘙𝘖𝘜𝘚 𝘛𝘏𝘙𝘌𝘈īŋŊ...
18.2K 751 45
"You are our future..." Three sisters born into the most ferocious Clan in the forest, their entire lives of ahead of them. Riverkit is ambitious wi...
452 12 24
What happens when instead of three cats being chosen for a prophecy, what if six cats were chosen? Six cats, four clans, and one big danger. (This is...
4.1K 206 26
Forced to assume the position of his mentor after her death, ShadowClan's lonely young medicine cat receives a message from StarClan warning him of a...