Broken Reflection

Bởi k_warriors

Book 4 in the Warriors: Falling Stars series. Series Description: A warriors series set in a time when Thunde... Xem Thêm

Preview
Copyright
Allegiances
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
End of Book 4
Don't miss the rest of my Warriors books

Chapter 12

28 0 0
Bởi k_warriors

Hailstorm paced the clearing anxiously. The green-leaf sun blazed high in the cloudless blue sky, making him pant under its increasing heat.

Earlier this morning, Eveningstar had taken Rustypelt, Sparrowtail, and Meadowheart to DuskClan's camp, and Sunfur had taken Gravelpelt, Eaglefeather, and Sparktail to NightClan's camp, to discuss DayClan and the stolen kits.

Personally, Hailstorm didn't know what good it did, just talking. What could they do by talking? So what? DayClan still had the kits. Hailstorm grunted angrily. It'd been three sunrises since Cherrykit and Lilackit had been kidnapped. Were they even getting any food? Any water?

Hailstorm stopped pacing and let out a ragged breath.

They must be scared to death.

Hailstorm lashed his tail furiously. Exactly how many kits had DayClan stolen from the other Clans? And what did Rainstar plan on doing with them? Hailstorm cursed under his breath, resuming his pacing of the camp.

He was vaguely aware of Yellowflower watching him by her den, looking sympathetic. Hailstorm narrowed his eyes and snorted. Why was she feeling sympathetic for him ? She should be sympathetic for Sagetail and Bronzepelt, whose kits had been stolen! Or even sympathetic for Rayclaw, who had felt very guilty about not noticing the DayClan scent during his vigil. But Rayclaw didn't seem as worried as his parents anymore, which Hailstorm found quite odd. He'd said something yesterday about knowing what he had to do. What had Rayclaw meant when he'd said that? Surely if any cat knew what to do it would be the leader or the medicine cats; not a young, inexperienced warrior!

Hailstorm paced faster.

But Eveningstar, Goldheart, and Yellowflower hadn't known what to do; they hadn't received any signs from StarClan. Nothing! And even if one of them had, they hadn't mentioned it to the Clan.

Well, Hailstorm thought, Goldheart and Yellowflower did try and ask DayClan's medicine cats about the kits. But it had been pointless anyway, since Lilyfoot and Fernpaw hadn't been at the last trip to the Moonfall.

Hailstorm let out a long sigh. He shook his head in anger at DayClan, and his claws tore at the grass and dirt beneath his paws.

Suddenly he caught a whiff of cat-scent on the air. Hailstorm jerked his head up. He sniffed the air again. The patrols that had gone to talk to NightClan and DuskClan were coming back! Already? Hailstorm thought in confusion. They'd only left this morning! How could they already be back? He jogged walked toward the bramble entrance in curiosity and confusion as the two patrols stormed into the camp with tails lashing, fur on edge, and flanks heaving in what appeared to be anger, not exhaustion. Hailstorm blinked in worry.

"What happened?" Goldheart asked worriedly, jogging forward from the group of cats huddled around the patrols.

Eveningstar was breathing heavily. "We didn't get into NightClan or  DuskClan territory."

"Why not?" Sagetail asked, a worried edge to her voice.

"DayClan," Rustypelt growled.

Every cat in the clearing let out a gasp.

"DayClan ?" Aspenleaf echoed in disbelief.

Sunfur nodded next to Eveningstar, tail flicking angrily. "We met a DayClan patrol on the border: Bristlepine, Clayfur, and Hawktuft."

At once, the clearing was filled with angry outbursts.

Eveningstar raised his tail for silence, but looked just as angry as the rest of the Clan.

Gravelpelt spoke up next to the DawnClan leader. "They told us that Rainstar had a message to give to us."

"A message ?" Twilightfoot asked, eyes narrowed in disbelief.

Eveningstar nodded, brown eyes burning. "They told us they would give us our kits back only  if we surrendered our territory."

The clearing fell into a shocked silence. After several heartbeats and many horrified and furious looks, Hailstorm sputtered, "They what ?"

"They can't do that!" Spruceclaw exclaimed, tail lashing.

Goldheart let out a hiss, and Yellowflower snarled, "Have they forgotten the will of StarClan?"

Sparktail stepped forward. "I don't think Rainstar cares what StarClan thinks anymore."

"What did you say to the DayClan patrol?" Aspenleaf asked quietly, as if talking too loud would bring the DayClan cats right to the camp.

"We told them we'd never surrender our territory to them, and that they'd give us back our kits now, or pay," Eveningstar spoke up to the angry crowd.

Sunfur shuddered. "They... they just laughed."

Rustypelt nodded. "They told us they'd already been to DuskClan with Rainstar's message, and they said that Orangestar had refused as well. There was something about Bristlepine's voice that suggested that if we refused to give up our territory like DuskClan supposedly had... something bad would ha—" She broke off, shivering.

Hailstorm shared a worried glance with Clovertail. What would  DayClan do when DawnClan refused to surrender to them?

Sagetail wailed. "What are we going to do?"

"Well, we can't surrender!" yowled Moonshine.

"What we do we do then?" Bronzepelt spat. "Nothing ? And risk my kits' safety?"

"Well, when we told them no, they said they'd give us one day to reconsider. They said to meet us at the border tomorrow at sunhigh to give our answer," Sparktail murmured with a shudder. "If we don't surrender, they said we'd suffer the consequences."

"What consequences?" Creekfall snorted. "It's not like they can attack us! It'd be like the last battle; the other three Clans all against DayClan! They'd be outnumbered and we'd win!"

"We won, yes, but we lost Twigfoot, and NightClan lost many cats too. How many more lives would we lose if DayClan attacked us again?" Sunfur murmured.

That silenced the clearing. Hailstorm felt a stab of pain in his heart at the mention of his dead father.

"Never underestimate DayClan," Meadowheart muttered darkly.

"So what should  we do?" Clovertail asked.

"We won't actually meet them at the border tomorrow right?" Eaglefeather asked.

"We have  to," Eveningstar meowed, claws tearing at the grass. "And we'll tell then that we have no intention of surrendering."

"No!" Sagetail cried out. "No! What about my kits! My k—"

"Sagetail, it's alright. It'll be alright," Sparktail soothed.

"But—"

"They've asked for the same thing from DuskClan and NightClan," Rustypelt meowed. "And if both other Clans refuse to give in, they are outnumbered. They can't demand territory from all of us if we all refuse."

"But they've got to have a backup plan," Copperleaf added quietly. "Rainstar's always had one for every plan she's ever had."

Sunfur nodded at Copperleaf, looking worried. "We'll just have to see tomorrow."

Slowly the gathered cats broke apart, muttering as they left.

Hailstorm didn't move. He'd had a sudden idea. He needed to find Rayclaw. The young warrior had said to himself yesterday that he knew what to do. Why hadn't he spoken up during this meeting? Hailstorm blinked. Come to think of it, he hadn't even seen  Rayclaw at the meeting. Hailstorm looked around the clearing in confusion. He hadn't seen Rayclaw all day.

Hailstorm looked around and spotted Sagetail sitting gloomily by the nursery, and he jogged over to her. "Sagetail?" he called. The cream-furred she-cat turned her head wearily. "Have you seen Rayclaw lately?"

Sagetail's eyes filled with more concern, if possible. "No." Her voice faltered as she looked around the camp for her oldest kit.

"He's probably gone hunting," Hailstorm meowed quickly. Though he doubted it, he was trying to spare Sagetail any worry. She didn't need to think that she'd lost all of her kits to DayClan.

He decided not to ask any other cat if they'd seen Rayclaw, in case it sparked worry. Hailstorm shook his head. He knew Rayclaw was somewhere near here; he just had a feeling. Hailstorm left toward the camp entrance at a run, then he walked aimlessly through the forest, mind wandering.

Why did DayClan seem so sure that their plan would work? All three of the other Clans were refusing their demands to surrender!

Those fox-hearts! How dare they threaten us with our own kits!  Hailstorm let out a huff and stomped faster, barely aware that he had just crossed the log-bridge over the stream. He stared at his paws, flinging dirt and old leaves aside as he made his way angrily through the forest. His fury at Rainstar was slowly pushing his search for Rayclaw out of his mind.

She has some real nerve, Hailstorm thought, flattening his ears bitterly. Taking our kits like that and trying to use them to get more territory.

That's what Twigfoot had warned him about! What had he said? 'The kits are safe, but for now. Rainstar is using them against you. You have to be ready.'

Rainstar was using the kits to try to get more territory!

But what did Twigfoot mean when he said to be ready? Ready for what? Hailstorm thought. An attack? DayClan wouldn't dare...

But maybe they would.

Twigfoot's next words rang in Hailstorm's mind: 'StarClan has told another cat. Trust StarClan. Trust your Clanmates'. Which cat had StarClan told? Goldheart? Yellowflower? Eveningstar?But all three of them had seemed shocked about Rainstar's plan of stealing the other Clans' kits. Hailstorm sighed. Perhaps StarClan had been mistaken. Maybe they hadn't told another cat.

"Woah!"

Hailstorm's head hit something hard. He fell over, dizzy, then he blinked and looked up.

Rayclaw was standing over him, with Stormpaw at his side.

Wait, what?  Hailstorm blinked again and shook his head. Stormpaw? No, it couldn't  be a DayClan cat on his  territory.

He closed his eyes and shook the throbbing from his head.

"You, uh... Are you alright, Hailstorm?"

Hailstorm opened his eyes and saw an extremely concerned Rayclaw standing over him, with Stormpaw right behind him.

Rayclaw blinked. "You hit your head pretty hard on my shoulder."

Hailstorm barely heard him. Stormpaw was really  standing there, with Rayclaw, on DawnClan territory. Hailstorm felt fury growing inside him. What, in the name of every  single star in the sky, was Rayclaw doing with the enemy  on DawnClan territory? Hailstorm flattened his ears. Stormpaw was using Rayclaw; that had to be it! And she was probably doing it on her mother's orders! Rainstar was trying to get information! They were trying to spy! Rayclaw was being tricked!

Hailstorm leapt to his paws and bowled Stormpaw over. He forced her onto her back. "You fox-heart!" He shoved her head to the dirt, ignoring Rayclaw's yells of protest. He growled between breaths, "You... are... using him... and you... will ...pay! You will not... spy... on... DawnClan! I won't... let you!"

Suddenly he was on the ground. "Stop it, Hailstorm!" It was Rayclaw.

Hailstorm stared up at the orange warrior, dumbfounded. Surely Rayclaw realized that Stormpaw had tricked him? How could he believe anything she said, especially since her mother  had stolen Rayclaw's younger sisters?

Rayclaw walked over to Stormpaw and nudged her up. Hailstorm was horrified. His anger surged stronger. He tried to get to his paws, but Rayclaw growled, "Leave her be, Hailstorm."

Hailstorm gaped at him. "What...? Are you... insane ?"

"She's on our side, alright?"

Hailstorm closed his eyes and shook his head. No. This wasn't real. Rayclaw couldn't be that dumb! This had to be his imagination. It had  to be...

"Hailstorm," Rayclaw growled impatiently.

Hailstorm's eyes flew back open in an angry rush. "Alright! Then what's... what's she  doing here?" Hailstorm forced the words out in a growl.

Rayclaw sighed. "It's a long story. But I'm taking her to Eveningstar first."

"To the camp? Into our camp ? How do you know she's not using you and trying to spy?" Hailstorm sputtered angrily. "We can't  trust her!"

Stormpaw narrowed her green eyes but didn't speak. She looked unbelievably small next to the large-footed, broad-shouldered, full-grown Rayclaw.

"Please, Hailstorm," Rayclaw meowed. "We have  to trust her."

"Why?" Hailstorm hissed, tail flicking in suspicion. He didn't trust her in the least; and he never would!

"I'm taking her to Eveningstar," Rayclaw repeated with force, standing in front of the small black- and white-patched DayClan apprentice as if to shield her.

Hailstorm growled. But then he thought it over. If any cat in DawnClan could make Rayclaw see that they could not possibly trust Stormpaw, it would be Eveningstar. He'd  know she wasn't trustworthy.

Hailstorm looked at Rayclaw through narrowed eyes and nodded curtly. "Fine."

Rayclaw swept past Hailstorm without another word, Stormpaw scurrying closely after him. With a feeling of foreboding, Hailstorm followed them.

He watched Stormpaw glancing around at the trees, looking curious but apprehensive. Hailstorm hissed. She had no right to know what DawnClan's territory looked like; no right to take it all in so she could go blabbing to her mother later!

Stormpaw crossed the stream easily, Rayclaw close behind. While Hailstorm was crossing the stream on the log-bridge, his outstretched claw caught in the moist bark. With a hiss of frustration, he pulled it free and stomped after Rayclaw, in an even worse mood.

The brambles lining the camp soon came into view, and Hailstorm felt grim satisfaction swelling in his chest. He wouldn't be the only one angry at Rayclaw for bringing a DayClan cat into the camp, and Rainstar's daughter for that matter! They'd agree with Hailstorm. No DayClan cat should be allowed into the DawnClan camp, especially during these times!

Stormpaw seemed to be thinking the same thing; she slunk behind Rayclaw with her tail low, and her fear-scent filled the air.

Sunfur was sitting nearest to the camp entrance, and when she saw Stormpaw behind Rayclaw, she jumped to her feet unbelievably fast and let out an irate hiss.

Hailstorm sniffed in satisfaction, glancing at Rayclaw with nose raised in the air. See? I was right! No one wants to bring a DayClan cat to our camp! No cat in their right mind would!

Sunfur finally found her words, and spit began flying as she hissed, "What's she doing here? Rayclaw! Hailstorm! Explain yourselves!" Her whole body shook with fury.

"I had nothing to do with this!" Hailstorm growled angrily. "I don't want her here! I tried to stop them!"

By now the whole Clan had gathered by the camp entrance.

"Maybe Rayclaw captured her as a prisoner!" Pinekit piped up, Needlekit and Rosekit nodding beside him eagerly.

"I told you to stay in the nursery!" Aspenleaf growled. The three kits scowled, then stomped away toward the nursery again.

"Did  you capture her as a prisoner?" Creekfall asked.

"No," Rayclaw answered flatly.

"Then why, in the name of StarClan, did you bring her here?" Bronzepelt growled, glaring at his son in disapproval.

Rayclaw faced his Clanmates indignantly. "She may be our only hope against DayClan."

There was complete silence. Such a silence that Hailstorm could hear his own heart beating, and every other cats' hearts around him. It stayed this way for a while, and every cat just stared at Rayclaw and Stormpaw, who stared back apprehensively.

Finally the silence was broken. "I'm taking her to talk to Eveningstar," Rayclaw meowed, with such finality that every cat gawked at him in disbelief.

"Eveningstar is on patrol with Gravelpelt and Sparrowtail," Sunfur told him matter-of-factly, a snarl in her voice.

"Then we'll talk to him when he gets back."

"You brought her to our camp?" Meadowheart asked with a growl, "to see Eveningstar? You let her see our camp  just because she wants to talk to Eveningstar?"

"She doesn't want to see Eveningstar. I want her to."

"Even worse!" Sagetail sounded close to hysteria, looking both scared and angry at what her son had done.

Stormpaw, who hadn't moved a mouse-length since arriving here, was staring wide- eyed at the DawnClan cats around her. Her pelt was bristled, and her ears were flattened.

She's just faking her fear, Hailstorm thought bitterly, narrowing his blue eyes to slits.

"Get her out of the camp, Rayclaw," Sunfur ordered with a growl.

"She will  speak with Eveningstar," Rayclaw hissed, shielding Stormpaw from Sunfur.

"Not if I say she won't," Sunfur spat, fur bristling furiously along her spine.

Hailstorm spoke to Rayclaw for the first time since back at camp. "Why does she have to speak with Eveningstar so badly? What good will any cat get from it! We can't trust her! When you turn your back on her, she'll run home to her mother to tell her all she's seen and heard about us!" he sneered, glaring at Rayclaw. "And you trust  her?"

Rayclaw squared his shoulders and raised his chin defiantly. "Yes, I do."

A shocked gasp echoed around the camp, but Rayclaw didn't flinch.

Sunfur couldn't take it anymore, and she spat, "Take her away, now! Out of my sight. Rayclaw, I'm disappointed in you. Disappointed beyond words." She was shaking. "Take her back to the border; you are forbidden to go to any more Gatherings, and you will be confined to camp. Take her now."

Rayclaw didn't move. He was shaking too. Hurt and fury burned in his orange eyes.

"Listen to your deputy, Rayclaw," Bronzepelt growling warningly, glaring at his son.

Rayclaw still didn't move. "She will  see Eveningstar. And I will not  be taking her back to DayClan."

Sunfur snarled, then lunged at Rayclaw and pushed him over. Even though this was against the warrior code, no cat in the camp seemed shocked at Sunfur's action. Every cat was glaring at Rayclaw; unable to believe he'd refused an order from the deputy.

"I'll take her myself then," Sunfur spat, shoving Rayclaw aside. She turned angrily to the rest of the Clan. "Keep Rayclaw here. He has dug himself into a hole he can't get out of." Sunfur turned to a trembling Stormpaw. "Get up!"

Just then Eveningstar raced into the camp, looking shocked. Sparrowtail and Gravelpelt had dropped the prey they were carrying as they stared in horror at the scene before them. "What is going on?" Eveningstar demanded angrily.

Sunfur straightened herself up. "Rayclaw has deliberately brought a DayClan cat to our camp. I ordered him to take her back at once, but he refused."

Eveningstar turned to Rayclaw. "Is this true?" He looked extremely shocked.

Rayclaw nodded stiffly. "Yes, Eveningstar, but I need to speak to you, and Stormpaw does too. I promise she doesn't want to spy on us. We just need to talk to you."

Eveningstar stared at Sunfur. "And you denied Rayclaw this?"

Sunfur looked uncomfortable. Now that Eveningstar put it this way, Hailstorm realized that it sounded very different than the way Sunfur had taken it. But when Sunfur replied to her leader, she spoke confidently. "She could be using us to try and get information on DawnClan. She is Rainstar's kit after all."

Eveningstar let out a sigh. "I know; we can only be suspicious and furious if we see a DayClan cat in our camp at these times. But if Rayclaw wants her to speak to me, I will not deny her that, especially seeing Rayclaw's trust in her. I trust Rayclaw, and I trust his judgement."

"But bringing her here is breaking the w—"

"I'll see what she has to say, then I'll decide what to do with her," Eveningstar meowed, and Stormpaw shivered, eyes widened in fear as Eveningstar spoke about her like that. "Rayclaw, to my den." And Eveningstar leapt up the High-stone without another word. Rayclaw followed, looking relieved, and Stormpaw was close behind, looking scared.

No cat spoke for several heartbeats. Hailstorm watched Sunfur shake her head, still looking upset, then walk over to the warriors' den, with Bronzepelt and Sagetail behind her. Sparrowtail and Gravelpelt exchanged glances, then picked up their dropped prey and carried it to the fresh-kill pile.

Hailstorm looked up at the sun, blazing down intensely on them. But now it was past sunhigh, and the shade of the trees was starting to cover the camp.

Hailstorm busied himself by getting the elders fresh bedding; there were no apprentices at the moment, so the apprentice duties were shared by the younger warriors. Clovertail offered to help, and Hailstorm was glad of her company.

"Do you trust Rayclaw in trusting Stormpaw?" Hailstorm asked his sister as they passed the Great Pine.

Clovertail blinked in thought. "I trust Rayclaw," she answered simply.

"Yes," Hailstorm meowed impatiently. "I normally do too, but, it's just... he's..."

"Trusting a DayClan cat," Clovertail finished for him.

Hailstorm nodded. "Yes. Rayclaw broke the warrior code by bringing her to the camp without the leader's or deputy's permission, and he directly disobeyed the deputy."

Clovertail sighed. "I know. But Rayclaw seems to know something we don't know. He would normally be the last cat to bring a DayClan cat into our camp, so he obviously truly believes he is doing the right thing by bringing her here." Clovertail paused. "Plus, Stormpaw didn't look like she wanted to spy or anything; she looked quite scared, you know, for being who she is, which makes me believe Rayclaw even more."

"Yes, but..." Hailstorm muttered.

"We'll just have to see what Eveningstar thinks," Clovertail meowed, shrugging. "He's got good judgement."

Hailstorm nodded and sighed.

They had reached the stream. Large bushes grew around it, and the grasses were tall. Hailstorm headed toward the log-bridge, where the bank was filled with stone rather than mud and plants, which were dark with mist as the stream flowed past. The two warriors paralleled the stream's edge, following it upstream in search for a large patch of moss.

"There's some," Clovertail exclaimed.

Hailstorm followed her gaze. Up ahead was a large section of stone on the bank, whose whole surface was bright green with fresh moss.

Hailstorm meowed, "Great find," then followed Clovertail to the moss patch. They didn't talk as they stripped the stone of the moss, making two piles

"That's good I think," Hailstorm spoke up, looking at the gray stone where the moss used to be. "We'll want to leave some here so it can keep growing for later."

Clovertail nodded, beginning to gather up her pile of moss. Hailstorm grabbed the rest in his jaws and followed his sister through the forest back to the camp. By the time they returned, the forest had turned auburn in the sunset. Hailstorm entered through the bramble barrier and he found that the whole Clan was gathered around the base of the High-stone. Eveningstar stood on the top of the large boulder with Rayclaw and Stormpaw further behind him.

"...Rayclaw and Stormpaw have shared some important information with me, and now they are ready to share it with you," Eveningstar was meowing. But Stormpaw looked anything but ready to share something to the DawnClan cats. Her green eyes widened as Rayclaw urged her forward.

"Let's drop this off real fast at the elders' den," Clovertail murmured through a mouthful of the moss. Hailstorm nodded and followed his sister, straining to hear what Eveningstar was saying.

"...ask you to please hear them out and not interrupt. Stormpaw has sacrif..."

Eveningstar's voice trailed off as Hailstorm and Clovertail walked towards the back of the camp and into the elders' den. They dropped the new moss on the floor of the den, gathered up the old moss and moved it behind the bushes.

When they were done, Hailstorm immediately ran across the camp and joined the meeting, finding a spot beside Aspenleaf.

Hailstorm looked up; Stormpaw was, rather nervously and quietly, speaking now.

"...never quite agreed with what my mother did. And... on my first Gathering, I-I knew that I was being judged by who my parents were and not, uh, not by who... I am." Stormpaw paused, and her eyes met Hailstorm's. She quickly looked away. "Rayclaw, well Raypaw then, was the only cat who sympathized with me. Of course, at first I didn't fully trust him, and then," she let out a long exhale, "he warmed up to me. And I warmed up to him. He, um, well," she cast a nervous glance at Eveningstar.

"Go on; they will not judge you or Rayclaw," Eveningstar spoke up, giving the Clan a stern stare.

Stormpaw took a deep breath. "Rayclaw... met me on the border while I was on a walk," she continued, with slight more confidence than before. "He knew something was wrong. But I didn't want to tell him what my mother's plan was going to be, mostly out of loyalty to my Clan and to my mother, but also out of fear of what would happen if I betrayed them both."

Hailstorm flicked his ears, finding himself leaning closer in anticipation to hear what Stormpaw was saying.

"I told Rayclaw that I just wasn't sure how to feel about my mother at the time. That I, uh, didn't like how she was handling things. He understood, and told me that he wouldn't want to be judged by what Rainstar did either." Stormpaw glanced behind her at Rayclaw, and, after a pause, she murmured, "We met night after night..."

Hailstorm blinked and flicked his ears. So that's  where Rayclaw had snuck off to that night during the rain storm: to meet Stormpaw.

"...and yesterday," Stormpaw continued, "Rainstar told me she wanted to go on a walk with me, so I followed her out of camp. She told me that she's noticed that I... uh, was leaving the camp at night. I... I said that I didn't know what she meant." Stormpaw shuddered. "She... she said, 'Don't lie to me. Where have you been?' Bef-fore I could even answer, she started growling at me; she was furious. 'Don't act like I'm stupid, Stormpaw,' she told me, 'You've never supported my plans like Emberpaw and Flamepaw do. You've never wanted to make our Clan stronger like the rest of your Clanmates do!' I... I told her that not every  cat agreed, and she hissed at me."

The whole of DawnClan seemed to be holding its breath.

"I told her that she was evil, killing k-kits..." there was a loud gasp among the DawnClan cats. "Yes, my mother killed two of the stolen kits," Stormpaw nodded in disgust at the looks of absolute shock on every cat's face. Bronzepelt swayed on his paws, and Sagetail let out what was like strangled squeal, like she was suddenly being choked.

Hailstorm felt his mouth go dry at the DayClan apprentice's words. It couldn't be Lilackit and Cherrykit?  Hailstorm felt dizzy and distant; the same sensation he'd experienced after Twigfoot's death. Hailstorm's ears didn't seem to be working anymore; he only registered fragments of Stormpaw's words.

"...was after... then said... pay... Darkkit... Redkit... left by border..."

Hailstorm slowly came back into focus. He heard Bronzepelt, though faintly, choke out, "So... so the DawnClan kits are... s-safe?"

Stormpaw nodded grimly, with what looked like a mix of hatred and fear. "For now."

Sparktail blinked with a shudder. "So, Darkkit, that... newborn NightClan kit... is... dead?"

Stormpaw nodded and closed her eyes.

"And Redkit? Who's Redkit?"

"Redkit, Scarletkit, and Amberkit," Stormpaw meowed sadly, "are Gingerfur and Orangestar's new kits."

"And... and Rainstar killed  one of them?" Sagetail managed to ask.

Stormpaw nodded faintly, black- and white-patched pelt bristling. "After DuskClan refused to give up their territory... my Clanmates told them that they would pay. Then... then Rainstar dragged Redkit, ch-choosing him randomly ou-out of the three DuskClan kits, from the d-den." Stormpaw sounded as if she was in painful tears. "Every cat watched, and... and I ran as I r-realized what she was d-d-doing..." Stormpaw broke off with a shudder.

Hailstorm felt his mouth go drier. The same thing had happened to Darkkit from NightClan. He clawed at the grass, tearing up the roots. He hated every hair, every whisker, everything  about Rainstar! He wanted to kill her, take all her lives away slowly until she was truly dead, gone to StarClan.

No. Rainstar didn't belong in StarClan. She belonged in the Place of No Stars; the Dark Forest. She deserved to go to that evil place where sinful cats went after death. Hailstorm shuddered. Yes. She'd die and go there. He wanted her to suffer what she made other cats suffer. He wanted to torture her. He wanted her in so much pain that she'd be begging for death.

Hailstorm could tell that he wasn't the only one. Sunfur, Rustypelt, and Gravelpelt were on edge, hissing. Sparktail and Moonshine were lashing their tails. Sagetail was sobbing into Bronzepelt's shoulder. Aspenleaf was shaking with fury beside Sparrowtail, who was tearing at the grass with her claws.

"She... she threw the dead b-bodies across the borders the next day," Stormpaw whimpered, "f-for their c-Clans to find." She wobbled. "After that, I... I couldn't t-take it anymore. I r-ran away, across the river a-and into D-DawnClan territory, and I... I found Rayclaw. I never w-want to go back again!" Stormpaw's legs gave way and she collapsed, shaking.

Rayclaw raced forward and murmured something to Stormpaw, who didn't move.

Eveningstar stepped forward angrily. "Don't you see?" he hollered to the shocked Clan. "Our kits are in danger! You need to find trust in Stormpaw's words, or face losing our kits to Rainstar!"

Every cat exchanged glances.

Sunfur stepped forward, looking shocked. "Stormpaw," the deputy meowed sadly. "I-I'm sorry I threatened you. And Rayclaw, I'm sorry I ever doubted your judgement; you have good reason for everything you do, and I respect that."

Rayclaw dipped his head. "I knew you'd need some convincing before you believed me."

Sagetail spoke up, finding her confidence. "So what are we going to do?"

Eveningstar yowled, "We have to meet DayClan tomorrow at the border."

"And do what?" Meadowheart sounded scared. "If we give in, well, we are under Rainstar's control!"

"But if we refuse to give in, they'll kill my kits!" Sagetail wailed with a hiss.

Stormpaw straightened herself up. She sniffled, then meowed, "You need to unite with the other Clans against Rainstar to get your kits back."

Hailstorm blinked. It was weird to hear Stormpaw, the daughter of Rainstar, tell them that they needed to unite against DayClan. Apparently every other cat thought the same thing, because they stared at one another in amazement.

"You... you mean attack  DayClan's camp?" Moonshine stammered.

"What? Are you mouse-brained?" Twilightfoot exclaimed.

Stormpaw nodded. "It's... it's the only way," she sighed. "Like you said; if you-u refuse, your kits will die; if-f you give in, you're under R-Rainstar's control. Bu-But no matter what happens, she'll s-still figure out more plans until she cont-trols the whole forest. I know my mother; that's w-what she'll do for her revenge. Unless you attack th-the camp, she won't stop-p."

Hailstorm glanced at his Clanmates.

"Her revenge ? On what? What did we do to her that she has to kill our kits?" Eaglefeather sputtered.

No cat seemed to hear him; everyone was still staring at Stormpaw, who repeated, "You have to attack the camp if you want to rescue your kits and stop Rainstar. DayClan's not the same as it once was, or so I've heard from the senior cats in the Clan. Rainstar has changed it for the worse on her quest for vengeance, and if we stop her, once and for all, DayClan won't be seen as evil anymore. DayClan will be respected and trusted, and the forest will be safe."

There was a silence as every cat stared at the small DayClan apprentice in surprise.

"I couldn't have said it better," Eveningstar meowed, then he stepped forward a pace on the Highstone. "We need to figure out what we're going to do now. Stormpaw's plan seems the most logical. So, Twilightfoot, Copperleaf, Spruceclaw; up for a bit of traveling?"

The three elders nodded determinedly. "We may be elders, but that doesn't mean were useless," Spruceclaw answered.

"I need you, Twilightfoot, to take a small patrol to DuskClan, and you, Copperleaf, to take a small patrol to NightClan. Spruceclaw, go with one of their patrols. Tell them what we plan to do, that we plan to attack DayClan's camp and save all of our kits; tell them Stormpaw's story, everything. Stay the night in their camp so you can lead them to our territory tomorrow at dawn," Eveningstar ordered. "We may have been unsuccessful in trying to get to their territories this morning, but now that it's night I think it'll be easier." The three elders nodded in determination.

Then the DawnClan leader turned to Sunfur. "I need you and the rest of the senior warriors to come up with our plan with me. Stormpaw, you can come help; we need to know DayClan's territory."

Stormpaw nodded in determination, tears still glistening on her cheeks.

I can't believe we're using an  apprentice's plan for something as serious as this, thought Hailstorm with an inward sigh. And a  DayClan apprentice at that.

Hailstorm turned to look at the elders taking patrols to the other Clans. Copperleaf and Spruceclaw were bringing Moonshine with them on their patrol to NightClan, and Twilightfoot was taking Creekfall and Eaglefeather on his patrol to DuskClan. Hailstorm sighed. It was up to those two patrols to get NightClan and DuskClan here by sunrise tomorrow to fight; if they didn't, DawnClan couldn't launch an attack. 

NightClan and DuskClan both had kits stolen, and each had a kit killed. They'll definitely want to take part in trying to drive Rainstar out, won't they?   he thought.

Hailstorm looked up nervously at the stars appearing in the blue-black sky, scattered as the sunlight left the forest. Hailstorm shivered. StarClan, we're going to be needing all the guidance we can get tomorrow, he thought with a long and ragged sigh. Tomorrow was the day that determined the fate of the surviving kits; they'd be attacking DayClan's camp tomorrow. And it had all been decided with a few words exchanged by Stormpaw and Eveningstar.

"We're relying on you to get NightClan and DuskClan here by sunrise tomorrow!" Eveningstar called after the leaving patrols. They nodded, then Hailstorm and the rest of the Clan watched them disappear into the shadows.

"Senior warriors and Stormpaw, this way," Eveningstar yowled, nodding toward his den. "The rest of you; get some sleep. We're going to need just about every set of paws we can get tomorrow, so I need you to be well-rested."

"I'll help! I'll help!" Pinekit squealed in excitement, jumping toward the senior warriors and Eveningstar.

"No," Aspenleaf meowed firmly. "You will be staying here tomorrow."

"But Mother !" Rosekit protested, "Eveningstar said that we need every set of paws tomorrow!"

"Did you really think he meant us ?" Pinekit muttered gloomily.

"You ought to understand how serious this is!" Aspenleaf scolded them with a growl. "Cherrykit and Lilackit might die  if we don't succeed tomorrow!"

Needlekit stared at his paws. "Did Rainstar really kill kits from the other Clans?"

Aspenleaf's pale green eyes filled with sadness. "Yes, that's why you need to stay here; your father and I are just so worried about losing you... we couldn't lose another ki—" Aspenleaf broke off abruptly and shook her head. "Come on," she meowed hastily, leading her three kits back to the nursery.

Hailstorm watched them sadly, then let out a long sigh. Another battle with DayClan; and only one moon after the last one! So many cats had died last time. He shuddered to think how many cats would die tomorrow. And, if they didn't stop Rainstar for good, that number would just keep going up.

Đọc tiếp

Bạn Cũng Sẽ Thích

1.1K 36 27
Book 2 in the Warriors: Falling Stars series. Series Description: A warriors series set in a time when ThunderClan, WindClan, RiverClan, and ShadowCl...
117 7 7
The five Clans have been settled by their territories around the lake for season upon season since the days of the legendary ThunderClan leader Fires...
844 1 25
Book 3 in the Warriors: Falling Stars series. Series Description: A warriors series set in a time when ThunderClan, WindClan, RiverClan, and ShadowCl...
891 4 22
Book 5 in the Warriors: Falling Stars series. "Darkness will veil the sky, but with the whispering voice of two, the forest, as one, will echo with l...