Meet Me at Dawn

By JustOnEmOrEgRl

One handsome rogue, one headstrong miss, and one compromising night. Exiled from polite society, and forever... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
A little note...
Chapter Eighteen (partial)
Chapter Eighteen, continued
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three (partial)
Chapter Twenty-three (continued)
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-six
Chapter Twenty seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine

Chapter Fourteen

8.6K 203 6
By JustOnEmOrEgRl

'Tis one thing to be tempted, another thing to fall.

            William Shakespeare

“What were you thinking?” Westover demanded in a terse whisper as he pulled me from the gardens. I stumbled behind him, speechless and still reeling from Sutherland’s less than chaste kiss. “If any other person had come across the both of you in the garden you would be in the same situation as you were three years ago.”

He took one glance back at me and stopped mid-stride, shaking his head as if dumbfounded. I could only surmise that I might have looked dazed, because his manner became light, and his tone less brash as he led me back to the ballroom in search of Reggie.

Reggie immediately came to my side as she saw our approach, taking me by the arm and leading us away from the crowded ballroom. I briefly recall Westover calling for the carriage before my thoughts became a confused menagerie of emotions, regrets, and other unsavory things.

At first, I was peeved with Reggie for once again relating my secrets to her husband when they were spoken of in confidence, but I realized her bounty of emotions were much simpler to read than an open book. Westover more than likely came to his own conclusions upon the mentioning of my name as to where I had gone off to. What puzzled me most was that Sutherland had kissed me in such a way, and that I had responded so readily. I had not a clue what had possessed him, nor I, to commit such an act.

The thought that perhaps Sutherland only acted in such a manner to make Abigail jealous suddenly came to mind, and I felt as if a herd of horses just traipsed over me. What kind of game was he playing at, and why me? Out of all the young debutantes at the masquerade tonight, why did he once again single me out to play the fool?

Only when I finally looked up from staring at my skirts did I notice Reggie and her husband watching me, attentive and curious. It appeared that I was not the only one to display my thoughts so plainly. Yet they both remained silent on the matter, and I only assumed it was because they did not wish to upset me more than I already appeared to be, and rightly so, for I would have liked to inflict physical harm on the earl at that moment.

The remainder of the ride was spent in silence, until we three stood outside of the Westover residence. Reggie turned to me with a somber and understanding expression, and took me by the hand.

“Kit, will you be all right?”

I nodded blankly. I was unsure as to how I would feel after mulling over this evening’s events, but I knew I needed the time to do just that. “I think it would be best if I went back to the earl’s townhouse before he returns. I am supposed to be abed with illness.

She returned a telling look, and I smiled weakly in my attempt to lift the air of gravity. “I will be fine. Do not worry. I have endured once, and I shall do so again,” I assured her as I led her up the steps, “Once I relinquish this constricting gown to you I shall be on my way, and the earl will be none the wiser.”

Reggie nodded hesitantly, as if she were unsure as to whether or not I would disappear into the night as I had years ago. Although a tempting course of action, I could not run from my troubles for the second time. Sutherland would not win a second time. This time, I would prove the victor.

***

Shortly after I donned my old clothing, I left Reggie and her husband and began my walk back to Sutherland’s townhouse. The streets remained quiet save for a few stray barks of laughter coming from a lone passing carriage or an open door. I was quite content to meander and let my thoughts free rein.

I was thinking of nothing in particular when I heard a familiar voice shouting, and the sound of hoof beats on the cobbled street.

“Where is he Mr. Finney!”

“I told ya m’lord, ‘e ran away.”

“Enough with your lies old man, I know he did not run away on his own. Now tell me, where he is!”

Hell’s bells. I froze as the sounds of the carriage approached. How did he know to come to London, and more importantly, why was he looking for me so intently?

As the carriage came into sight, I ducked into the shadows, not wanting to be seen for fear of recognition. The viscount sounded seething, and resolute in determining my whereabouts. I could not imagine why he would not just find another boy to add of his staff. As soon as I saw them turn the corner, I raced back to the townhouse, my fear of the viscount over ruling my anger with the earl.

I reached the rear of the house in minutes, my chest heaving with exertion, and my forehead cool with perspiration in the night air. I opened the door to the servant’s entrance and crept inside, careful to close the wooden door quietly as to not disturb the household. Making my way though the kitchen, I filched a slice of bread and a candle to light my way to my room, hoping that I had come in before Sutherland.

Unfortunately, he appeared to have arrived home sooner than expected. I saw the light from the beneath the doors of his study, and scurried up the staircase to my room, carefully not making a sound. Just as I reached my door, Bennet emerged from one of the rooms down the hall. I quickly opened my door and ran inside, hoping he did not see me.

I waited several moments leaning against the inside of the door, my heartbeat pounding in my ears and my breath came in short, rapid puffs. The lack of his appearance at my door led me to believe he did not see me, and I began to relax, allowing myself to slide down to sit in front of the door.

For the first time that night, I felt utterly exhausted. Both my eyes and limbs felt heavy, and all that I wished to do was to sleep.

But, I knew I could not allow myself that luxury just yet. I had to ensure that there were not any traces of me having left the room all night as well as evidence that I had been at the masquerade. I went to the washbasin and filled to bowl with water from the pitcher to splash cool water on my face.

I heard the door creak behind me as I stood staring at my reflection in the pool of water, and I immediately knew who it was. “Heard of knocking, milord?”

“Not in my own house.” I turned to look at Sutherland, and it was plainly obvious that he was not in the mood for cheeky banter. I immediately took on a somber air and waited for him to impart with me with whatever words he came to say. He paced around in front of the window for a moment, and then walked over to the low-burning fire, staring at the glowing embers as if they were the most fascinating object in the world.

I bit my tongue and forced myself to inquire rather than demand what he wanted at such a late hour. “What can I do for you, milord?”

“I require your assistance in a matter at Westover’s home in the morning.” He immediately turned away to the door. I was unsure what assistance he required and to what extent, but he was gone before I could manage to ask. Assuming that the matter had to involve Kalista, I began to panic.

He could not truly expect her to receive him after what had happened at the masquerade, could he? He was calling, no doubt, to order her not to make an ordeal of it, just as he had that night so long ago. To tell the girl that he had no intention of marrying the likes of her. The memories began to flood back, causing me to grip the edges of the porcelain bowl before me.

Reggie would know what to do when we arrived, she would think of some excuse to prevent such an announcement. At that thought, I promptly loosened my grip. She would help me this time. Feeling only slightly relieved, I finally released my hold and walked over to my bed, eager for rest after such an ordeal.

As my head hit the pillow, my eyes fluttered closed, and I hoped that no such thoughts would enter my dreams.

 ***

I awoke with a start, the blinding light entering through the window caressing my face. Then, the events of the previous night came rushing back to my mind. It was morning, and the earl was going to call on Kalista.

I threw the covers back and ran over to the washbasin, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. I glanced about for my boots, and spotting them by the foot of the bed, snatched them and hurried out the door, stumbling as I attempted to pull them on. The entire household was already awake and going about their morning chores, providing me with curious stares as I raced down the stairs and to the breakfast room.

I paused just outside the doors to catch my breath before entering when Bennet approached me.

“You may want to finish dressing before you enter,” he stated blandly, eyeing the solitary boot in my hand. I followed his gaze and upon realizing that I had only one boot on, pulled it on to my other foot. Satisfied, I reached for the knob.

Just as I was about to enter, Bennet spoke again. “If you wish to sneak around at all hours of the night, it would behoove you to do it in a more covert manner.” He brushed my hand aside as I stared wide-eyed at him and opened the doors to the breakfast room.

Before I could speak, he ushered me in and closed the doors quickly behind me. Dear Lord, he saw me. I only hoped that he had not informed the earl of my escapades, for that would surely raise questions I had no intention of answering.

“Ah, so you have finally risen I see.” Sutherland was sitting at the breakfast table, reading the Tines as I approached.

“Apologies my lord, I did not realize the time.”

“No matter, we will depart shortly. Go and ready the horses if you please.”

I nodded, though I doubt he saw, for he never removed his eyes from the paper. I filched a piece of toast from the side table as I exited the room and made my way to the stables. I could only hope that this would be a business meeting with Westover rather than a social call to Kalista.

Sorry y'all, not my usual caliber, but it will have to do for now. Life is busy, and for that I am sorry, but uploads will be far apart, and probably sparse at best. I am in the middle of a research project that requires my full attention for publication, so that is my priority right now. I will try to write when I can, but just know that I will finish this story, and I appreciate all of you who continue to read, vote and comment. Best wishes ~ Justonemoregrl

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 124K 58
*COMPLETED* BOOK 1 of the BLOOD MOON PACK SERIES #1 Packs 26/01/2021 #1 Emotions 27/09/2019 #1 Sacrifice 25/10/2019 Elizabeth Crow was only a young p...
48.7K 1.7K 31
Being raised and trained by a ruthless and cruel father, Eno's life is dull. She never experienced happiness and love ,that resulted of her having a...
732 11 27
This is about a female girl Olivia, Liv for short, that is daughter of the alpha. she is the youngest of her kind to become an alpha. she hates when...
1.8K 82 17
Crista Vanderbelt known as "Rain" has fallen from the sky. a young man named Harlem rescues Rain, bringing her to a hospital. She escapes from the ho...