The Unseen Beauty of the Ungr...

By SKblind

First came the heavens, the glistening white abyss of clouds that overlooked the barren land. Then came the s... More

Prologue
Chapter 2: Back to the Ground
Chapter 3: Afternoon Tea
Chapter 4: Fire and Arrows
Chapter 5: Purple
Special 1: A Different Perspective
Chapter 6: Records
Chapter 7: Secrets and Daggers
Chapter 8: Arguments and Potatoes
Chapter 9: The Waiting Game
Chapter 10: The Beauty of Chaos
Chapter 11: Unconscious Thoughts
Chapter 12: Crime and Punishment
Chapter 13: Wine and Spilled Secrets
Chapter 14: Stubborn Care
Chapter 15: Broken Walls
Chapter 16: Needy vs Nervous
Chapter 17: Mumbo.exe Has Malfunctioned
Chapter 18: I Promise
Chapter 19: The Price of Peace
Chapter 20: Sentencing
Chapter 21: The Chaos of Free Will
Chapter 22: Do We Have A Deal?
Chapter 23: Into the Unknown
Chapter 24: Confessions and RealizationsοΏΌ
Chapter 25: Alone Together
So Here's What's Going On

Chapter 1: Ascension Day

1.1K 51 76
By SKblind

"Welcome everyone!" Xisuma shouted over the chattering crowd, who immediately ceased their conversations to turn towards the God of Life.

"Happy ascension day" Xisuma continued, his eyes gleaming in happiness as he looked at each God in turn. "As most of you know, every 100 years we all gather in my humble home to celebrate our new brothers and sisters who have joined us within the last century"

Mumbo looked around at the gleaming marble palace he had been welcomed into. The phrase humble home was a bit of an understatement.

"Now in the last fifteen centuries or so we have had a significant decrease in ascensions" Xisuma continued. "And this century was no different. Do not be upset! The lack of ascensions means we are doing our job of keeping the humans safe and happy. They do not need any more than what we give them to thrive"

He spread his white wings slightly in pride.

"However, we did have one new ascension! With the rise of technology, electricity, and engineering 80 years ago, we welcomed Mumbo Jumbo, God of Redstone"

Mumbo felt his face flush in embarrassment as all eyes turned to him and the small crowd of ethereal Gods began to applaud him.

"Th-thank you" he managed, bowing his head at Life, who gave him a dazzling smile.

"Please eat, drink, and be merry" Xisuma said raising his chalice. "It is not often we take a break from our duties. Why should the humans have all the fun?"

The crowd laughed lightly in appreciation and followed Life's lead as they took a sip of their drinks.

Music waved her hand and a pleasant melody began to swim through the hall, highlighting the joy and satisfaction of its occupants.

Mumbo glanced affectionately at the black markings on the back of his hands. He traced a slender finger over the curved lines and branches that formed the symbol of technology that belonged only to him and felt his lips turn upwards in contentment.

Looking around the room, he was met with passing smiles and waves from a multitude of Gods he did not know. Even after 80 years in the heavens, he had not acquainted with many of them.

This was not surprising. They all had their own duties and jobs to do, and besides, the heavens were vast and expansive. This was the first time since Mumbo's ascension he had even been back to this area of the ethereal world.

He groaned inwardly at the memory of meeting Life and Death. How awkward and nervous he had been!

Yeah because you are so different now a small voice in his head drawled.

"Mumbo!"

Music and Laughter strode into view, smiling brightly at him.

"Hello!" Mumbo replied, allowing his shoulders to relax slightly.

Music and Laughter, or Stress and Iskall as they preferred to be called  by their chosen names, were the first two Gods to greet him besides the five primaries when he had begun his duty, and they had become fast friends.

Mumbo was too shy to say so, but he was quite thankful of them for letting him join their small group. As far as he could tell, Iskall and Stress had been close for a long time as their duties of maintaining music and laughter in the human race often overlapped.

"Happy ascension" Stress said, clinking her glass against his, and bringing him out of his thoughts.

"Happy ascension" Mumbo replied, mimicking her movements and managing to slosh some of his drink down his arm.

Iskall laughed heartily. It was the kind of laugh that you couldn't help but join in on, loud, boisterous, but not mocking.

"Are you having a good time?" He inquired to the young God.

"Yes?" Mumbo replied. He cringed when he heard how dubious his answer sounded.

"I am" he assured. "I'm just... not really a fan of large crowds"

Stress nodded understandingly.

"Do you want to go outside?"

"Perhaps that is a good idea" he sighed.

"Would you like some company?" Iskall asked, linking his elbow with Mumbo's.

"Oh no! I don't want to take you away from the party" Mumbo said, trying not to trip as he pulled his arm away.

"It's no trouble" Stress said. "You don't have to be so worried about us"

"I- really, thank you, but I- "

He was trying to think of a good excuse. Stress and Iskall, Music and Laughter, he knew how much they loved parties. Not just that, but he felt awkward and uncomfortable surrounded by people he didn't know who treated him with an over-politeness he didn't feel he deserved.

"I'm just going to get some fresh air" Mumbo said, clenching his jaw at his lame explanation. "I'll come back in later ok?"

Stress and Iskall exchanged a glance before shrugging slightly.

"If you're sure" Stress said, offering him a smile.

"Xisuma has a great view from the top of his palace" Iskall added, before he was sucked away by the crowd. "You could go sit on the roof and watch the sunset!"

Mumbo shuddered a bit at Iskall using Life's chosen name and treating his home so casually, but he did not object to the idea. A moment alone was exactly what he needed.

After extracting himself from the crowd and fumbling his way out the door, he spread his red wings and stumbled into a slightly shaky landing on the roof.

Mumbo relaxed beside one of the marble turrets, watching the sun set behind the large mountain range below. It truly was a sight to behold.

He let out a long sigh. Why was it so hard to talk to his fellow Gods in a normal way? They laughed and drank, played games and slung arms over each other's shoulders as though they were humans. Even the five primaries, while being looked up to by everyone, still joked and played along, perfectly welcoming and friendly.

So why did he feel like he was an outsider looking in?

"Because you're new" a voice said from the other side of the pillar.

Mumbo jumped so high he nearly fell off the roof. He scrambled to stand, spluttering nonsense as he tried to think of something to say.

"I-I'm so sorry. I didn't know anyone was here! I can go-"

"Don't worry about it" the voice said, sounding rather bored. "Enjoy yourself. Don't let me get in the way"

Mumbo considered his options, and slowly sat back down.

"Ok... um sorry again"

"Why are you apologizing?"

"I-" he had no answer for such a question. Face flushed, he tried to steer the conversation in a different direction.

"Why aren't you at the party?"

"I could ask you the same question"

Ok clearly this God, whoever he was, didn't want to answer that question anymore than Mumbo did.

"The others will get used to you after a couple hundred years or so" the voice said suddenly. "They will stop acting so polite and tell you how they really think and feel"

"How do you-"

"You were thinking out loud" the voice interrupted.

"Oh I'm sorry"

The God scoffed and Mumbo heard him shuffle around.

"Again with the apologizing"

"I'm-"

"Do not say sorry again" the voice cut in, and Mumbo clamped his mouth shut, embarrassed by how easily this God could read him without even looking at his face.

"Anyways" the God continued. "Don't worry about the others for now. You're new right? We haven't gotten a new God in a long time and you have yet to show how strong you are. Once they think they have you figured out, they will treat you as a friend"

"Oh that's... thank you" Mumbo said, surprised by how relieving that actually was.

"Or an enemy" the God finished, making Mumbo's stomach clench.

"What's your name?" He asked, getting to his feet in hopes of seeing the other's face. "What kind of God are you?"

He turned to look over the top of the pillar and yelled when he was met with a body already perched on the top of it. Even though he was hunched down to look at Mumbo with his legs crossed over each other, it was easy to tell he was small. The God wore black clothes and a dark purple cloak and gloves which matched his majestic purple wings. The hood was tucked over his head so his hair couldn't be seen, and he wore a white mask with beautiful silver details that covered the top half of his face. The only visible patch of skin besides his neck was the smirk that shaped his plush red lips.

"Sorry" the God said, not sounding at all sorry. "I didn't mean to scare you"

"It's fine" Mumbo said. Placing a hand on his racing heart. "What's your name?"

"What's yours?" Was the immediate response.

"Mumbo Jumbo"

The red lips were pushed into a flat line for a second before returning to their original smirk as though the God was trying to suppress a laugh at his chosen name.

"What is your God title?"

"Redstone" Mumbo replied. He watched the God's mouth carefully for any signs of underlying emotion.

"Thank you for admiring my lips Mumbo Jumbo, but I'm afraid you have to tear your eyes away. I have to go"

Mumbo's jaw dropped at the shameless statement and he felt heat creep up his face.

"I- I wasn't... you don't have to go!"

He didn't know why he wanted this God to stay so badly. All he knew was this person was the most interesting and enticing of anyone he had met in the last 80 years, and he didn't want their conversation to end.

The God let out a puff of air in a silent chuckle.

"Don't worry I'm not leaving because of you Mumbo Jumbo" he said standing on the pillar so Mumbo had to crane his neck up even more. "I just have some things to take care of"

He spread his wings and jumped from the roof.

"Wait! You didn't answer my question! What kind of God are you? What's your name?" Mumbo asked in a heightened tone.

Flapping his wings to remain floating, the God turned and grinned. Not the smirk he had been showing, but a real smile. He held out a gloved hand.

"My name is Grian"

I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Please let me know what you think and give me feedback because it's always kind of scary starting a new story. It will help me make it better if I know what you guys think. If you did enjoy it, please consider leaving a like!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.7K 223 18
Hermitcraft oneshots! The content i write is completely for entertainment purposes! This is only minecraft personas! Ships : convex, scarian, grumbo...
1.4K 74 7
To describe Scar & Grian's relationship, it is one of complete and utter loathing. The two have a deep-rooted dislike for one another, always wanting...
57.4K 2.2K 69
Grian and Mumbo were good friends. They hang out together and enjoy each other's company. But what they don't know is something developing inside. Th...
9.8K 122 12
Art isn't mine ⬆️ this is done! For more info check out the chapter named "Done :)"