Lakewood: The Next Chapter

By angel48183

Malia and her friends think they have finally got things figured out. With the Lakewood serial killer dead, t... More

Secrets don't stay secret
Issues
What the hell?
The plot thickens
My friends have issues
Weekend getaway
Trapped like rats
Another victim
Problems
My bloody Valentine
Stranger things
Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought the cat back
Eery
Narcissistic behavior
Learning more
Plans
The all-night party
The hunt
Confession of the Lakewood Serial killer
Grounding sucks
The ban lifted
Life decisions
Spring break
Traverse City
Blending into the crowd
Manhunt
Mirror
Prom
Graduation and changes
The copycat

Returning to the scene of the crime

535 35 25
By angel48183

I returned to school with apprehension. Luka assured me that everything would be okay. He wouldn't allow me to use the bathroom alone. Did I mention my boyfriend is a comedian?

It's not the bathroom that terrifies me; it's empty classrooms. We walked down the hallway, and I stopped, looking at an empty class with the door open. I released Luka's hand and entered the classroom slowly. You could see the blood on the wall and floor.

Luka followed me as I looked at the spot. People think they will fight back when they encounter a threat, but you don't. Fear engulfs you, making it difficult for you to react in a situation. When your assailant attacks you, it's quick and painful, leaving questions for you.

Next, comes anger, because of those questions.

"Why?" I asked in a whisper, letting my anger show. Tears fell onto my cheeks as I stood there, looking at the scene of my attack.

"We don't know," Luka answered.

I wiped the tears from my face as I stared at the spot. Then I felt two arms wrap around me.

"Malia, you might get knocked down, but not out. You're stronger than you know," Luka whispered in my ear.

I nodded as he spun me around to face him. I looked at Luka as he offered a soft smile to me. He reached up and wiped my tears with his thumbs as I looked at him. I was angry and frustrated.

I heard wheels squeak and turned to see the Janitor at the door.

"Sorry, I didn't get a chance to clean because the other students were busy making a mess," the janitor said in a gruff voice.

"We were leaving," Luka said, grabbing my hand and leading me out of the empty classroom. The janitor shrugged and went to work, cleaning the blood up and disinfecting the area.

We walked hand in hand to our lockers, and the others were waiting there.

"Damn, Detroit, you've seen better days," Damon commented.

I looked at Damon with annoyance. Luka smacked him upside the head.

"How are you feeling?" Jasmine asked.

"Like my face hit a wall," I mumbled.

"Well, if it makes you feel better, our dads ordered the school to keep all areas locked that no one is using," Abby mentioned.

I looked at Abby as she looked at me, hopeful.

"It doesn't matter because no one is getting near Malia again," Luka told the others. Yeah, he became overprotective of me after what happened.

"What about the bathroom?" Niko questioned.

"Then Abby can go with Malia while I guard the door," Luka answered with annoyance.

I grabbed my books and shut my locker door. "Look, I refuse to let some asshole alter my life because they have anger issues. If a person wants to come near me, they will find some way. Let's be realistic about this situation," I reasoned

The others looked at me and nodded. Luka rolled his eyes. I can't let some jerk scare me into submission. Have you met me? I went to class and Luka walked with me.

"Why do I have a feeling that you have plans?" Luka questioned me with a look.

"Because I do," I answered with a look.

Luka kissed me at the doorway of the classroom, and I went inside, finding my seat. I sat there, thinking about the recent events. When Jeremy went after Mom and me, Dad shot and killed him. Joe killed Gale when she went after the others. That should have ended the murders, but it didn't.

People are still dying, and the Lakewood serial killer is still loose. Whoever attacked me, wanted to hurt me enough to send a message. What the hell was the message?

*********
While I contemplated recent events, the killer watched from a distance. No one would suspect that there was not one killer but two. If you want to know people's moves, you have someone close enough to keep you one step ahead of others.

A girl came out of the classroom and made her way to the girl's bathroom. She entered the stall and closed the door, using the toilet. While sitting there, someone entered the bathroom and walked towards the closed booth at the end.

The girl looked to see two black boots underneath the stall door.

"Hello? Who is it?" The girl asked, looking at the door, then she looked at the floor, noticing the boots gone. Not thinking anything of it, she shrugged and finished up.

After finishing her business, the girl stood up as a rope wrapped around her neck, lifting her from the floor. She fought as her legs moved in a spastic manner as the rope tightened around her throat until she wasn't moving. The person let go of one end of the line, dropping the body to the floor, making it hit the toilet. The toilet erupted as the killer stepped down off the other toilet and left the girl's bathroom quickly.

Another girl entered the bathroom, noticing the water and left to inform the office. The office sent maintenance to fix the water issue of the toilet. The maintenance tech walked in and went to shut off the water when he found the body. Maintenance ran out of the girl's bathroom, the tech informed the office, who called 911, then made an announcement.

Attention students! We will conduct a fire drill. Please remain calm and exit the building.

The fire alarm sounded as we got up and left the classroom. Once outside in the cold air, the school waited for everyone to leave the school. I stood there, shivering as Luka found me.

"Leave it to school to have a fire drill in forty-degree weather," Luka said through chattering teeth.

"Yeah, nothing like catching pneumonia to keep students safe from no fire," I remarked with my teeth chattering.

"Attention students! We are sending everyone home!" The principal announced.

Luka and I looked at each other weirdly.

"What about our coats and purses?" A girl yelled.

"You can return later for your items with a parent! All the parents notified! Now, please go home!" The Principal ordered.

The students grumbled as I sighed.

"Good thing I have my keys, although I'm not sure if my boys will ever come out of hiding," Luka mentioned, making me chuckle.

We hurried to Luka's car and got in, then Luka cranked the heat. He drove us back to my house so that we could warm up, and Mom didn't worry. After Luka arrived, we got out of the car and ran into the house. Mom met us at the front door.

"I heard you had a fire drill," Mom mentioned.

"Yeah, the school thought it would help to send us out in the cold weather without coats," I said through chattering teeth.

"Well, maybe Luka can start a fire in the fireplace, and you will warm up," Mom mentioned.

We looked at my mom strangely. She laughed as we rolled our eyes. Mom went back into the kitchen to make hot cocoa, while Luka started a fire. I hid under a blanket on the couch. Once the shooting began, Luka joined me. We fought over the coverage since both of us were freezing. Hey, every woman for themselves.

"Here," Mom said, handing us two mugs of hot cocoa. "I'll get another blanket."

I held the mug, capturing the warmth in my hand until I felt the heat, then I set the cup down on the coffee table. Mom returned with an extra blanket and handed it to Luka. He took it and covered himself with it.

"So, what's the real reason for the fire drill?" Mom asked.

"We don't know. I was in class when an announcement came on, and everyone had to go outside. The principal said we could return with a parent later," I answered.

"Better safe than sorry," Mom reasoned.

"It's okay because of no homework," I smirked as Mom shook her head and chuckled. She left Luka and me alone.

"Do you think there's more to it than a random fire drill?" I asked Luka.

"Oh, I know there is. Why would the school conduct a fire drill out of the blue?" Luka questioned.

"Why do I feel like my senior year will go down as the craziest year yet?" I asked.

"Because it will with a serial killer lose," Luka reasoned.

I sat there, thinking. We heard knocking at my door, and Mom answered it as Abby walked in with Patrick. I looked at them strangely.

"Was there a new development that I wasn't aware of with you two?" I questioned.

"Oh, us, we're hanging out. It seems we both enjoy dissecting horror flicks when you get past the jock look," Abby said, waving her hand in front of Patrick.

"That's cute and disturbing all at once," I reasoned.

The next people that showed up were Damon, Niko, and Jasmine.

"Why don't you kids warm up and I will bring you hot cocoa," Mom mentioned.

The others removed their coats and sat down as I picked up my mug.

"Okay, what did I miss?" I asked. Everyone filled me in on the recent events when I missed school. "I don't understand why you don't tell Simon that you have no interest in him," I said to Jasmine.

"I don't think Simon has many friends," Abby mentioned.

"Because the guy is creepy," Jasmine said.

"Yeah, but think about it. Lakewood high treats people who are different like they have the plague. I know when we came here, people stared at me," Abby mentioned.

"That's because you have blue hair, piercings, and tattoos," Damon replied.

"It's a way that I can artistically express myself. Plus, I prefer to stand out, then fit in with everyone," Abby told us.

"Abby, you will always stand out," Niko commented.

"That's the plan, Stan," Abby countered, making us laugh.

While we hung out, discussing styles, Dad and the others arrived at the school. They walked into the girl's bathroom and went to the last stall. Dad opened it to see the girl's body on the floor, wet.

"Give me some gloves," Dad said to Joe and Charlie. Joe handed Dad a pair of latex gloves, and he put them on. Dad checked the body finding the ligature marks across the neck. He picked up the wrists, checking the fingernails.

"Charlie, do you have an evidence bag on you?" Dad asked.

"No, but I can get one," Charlie answered, leaving to get a bag.

Dad pulled out a pocket knife and ran the tip under the fingernails, collecting evidence. Charlie returned with a bag and opened it. Dad placed the picket knife inside as Charlie sealed the bag. He lowered the girl's arm and stood up.

"Have the lab analyze the knife," Dad told Charlie.

"What is it, Gabe?" Joe asked.

"The girl fought, and I found skin underneath the fingernails," Dad answered. He stepped out of the stall and checked the next stall, finding partial footprints on the toilet seat.

Charlie handed the bag to another officer and walked over to Dad and Joe.

"The killer stood on the toilet, reached over and strangled the victim. The person struggled, scratching at the killer," Dad reasoned. He looked at Joe and Charlie. "The killer is getting careless."

"Why?" Joe questioned.

"Because the person wants us to catch them. All serial killers have one common theme. They're narcissistic and want the notoriety of becoming famous," Dad explained.

"That's a shitty reason to kill people," Charlie mentioned.

"Not if you're invisible to people," Dad suggested as Charlie and Joe looked at each other.

Most serial killers have a narcissistic behavior along with picking their victims. The person wants people to fear them and prove they are smarter than most people. It's this behavior that shows their downfall. It will test their undoing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185 1 23
Two years ago, Valerie left her hometown after her fathers death and now she has returned to join the homicide team in her town realizing that her da...
526 38 51
After coming out of a disturbing relationship, a devastated Mallory decides she needs change, hoping a change of scenery and career will be the answe...
328K 14.1K 26
Dove has been carrying a secret from her parents and feeling like they don't care anymore, she becomes isolated. Hawk notices things about Dove when...
5K 452 26
A teenaged girl struggles with the death of her best friend. When the police stop investigating the case of her friend she decides she should find t...