A Sapphire in the Snow

Av riocat1

If Brienne could give Tormund a chance, he would give her the world. Set after the events of Season 8, Brienn... Mer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18 - Epilogue

Chapter 12

363 5 1
Av riocat1

"I'm taking Brienne to Tarth to recover." Tormund announced a few days after she had regained consciousness.

He had pulled Sam and Jon to the other side of the drape that had hidden her from the rest of the ward. Only now that she was awake and talking was Tormund comfortable with even a few feet of distance between himself and Brienne. He had seen to her every need since she had awakened. He had spooned warm broth to her weary lips, fetched blankets for her when she grew cold in the night, and saw to it that she drank the tea of herbs that Sam had ordered for her. What Tormund wanted most, was to get Brienne out of this terrible place. He wanted to take her somewhere she would be comfortable, somewhere she could rest and regain her strength. Before the thought even completely formed in his mind, he realized that place was her home, Tarth.

"Is she strong enough for the journey?" Jon questioned.

Sam considered Tormund's demand. "She will certainly not survive a return journey North." He conceded. "Even Winterfell is probably too great a distance." Sam's squinted, trying to think of all the reasons for and against such a journey.

"Tarth is farther." Jon reminded them.

"Not by ship." Tormund explained, his eyes gleaming at the thought of his intended gift to Brienne.

Sam nodded in agreement. "The traveling would be smooth, and she could rest in bed in the cabin." He consented.

"The ships are returning to the docks since the invasion was halted." Jon informed them. "Surely at least one must be going that far south." He hoped.

"It's settled, then." Tormund declared rubbing his hands together in excitement. He pulled a small skin pouch filled with coins from his pocket. "I don't want Brienne to know. I want to surprise her." Tormund grinned hopefully.

"Say no more." Jon laughed, eager to lend his help. "Let me go down to the docks and inquire about passage." He offered.

Tormund's smile grew wider, happy that he would not need to leave Brienne alone. He tossed the coins to Jon who pivoted on his heels. Slapping his friend on the back as he turned, Jon rushed away before Tormund could thank him.

Tormund turned to Sam, and grabbed the young man by the arms. "How can I thank you?" He asked earnestly. "You saved her. You brought her back to me." He could not keep his composure as gratitude overwhelmed him, and he fought the lump forming in his throat.

"You should thank King Bran." Sam offered humbly. "It was he that felt I could be of some good." He was not willing to take all the credit.

"Well, I'll thank the Gods for ye, Samwell Tarly." Tormund said grinning broadly.

Their conversation was cut short by a whimper from Brienne's bed on the other side of the curtain. Tormund wheeled around to return to her, angry at himself for being away from her longer than he had meant to. Sam followed quickly on his heels. Throwing the sheet aside they found Brienne weak, fatigued, and trying to sit up. She was not making the progress for which she had hoped. Attempting to push herself upwards toward the pillow, she winced in pain.

Tormund rushed to her. "What are you doing?" He admonished her, concerned. He did not let her answer, but continued trying to comfort her. "You are not to move a muscle." He told her. "That's what I'm here for." He smiled, easing her back down onto the sheets, and then sitting beside her on the edge of the cot. Seeing that Tormund had matters well in hand, Sam back away to allow them privacy and to see to his rounds.

Brienne regarded him, woefully. "I'm not used to lying around." She argued her case softly. "I need to get up and see to the post battle affairs." She entreated.

Tormund took her hand and held it gently. "You need to heal." He kissed her fingers and held onto her tighter.

"I can't help it." She rolled her eyes lovingly at him. "Inactivity is not in my nature." She shrugged her shoulders and looked so miserably at him that he could not help but chuckle at the frustrated expression on her face, which he found irresistibly adorable. Brienne swatted Tormund's arm playfully. "It's not funny." She scowled.

"I know." He conceded, wrapping his arms gently around her. "It will only be a little while longer. I promise." He told her.

Brienne glared at him, shocked. Then she squinted at him in suspiciousion. "What are you planning?" She wondered.

"A surprise." He kissed her temple, and tried to force the smile off his face at the thought of sailing to Tarth with her.

"Tell me." Brienne begged.

Tormund shook his head vehemently. "No." He declared. "You, my lovely knight, will just have to wait." He held her as tight as he dared. How good it felt to have her in his arms again. It was only a few days before that he feared he might never hold her again. His entire world had been restored to him. He would hold onto her forever.

As Tormund embraced Brienne he felt her shiver in his arms, her chest rising and falling forcefully. Pulling back from her he studied her face worriedly. She was crying. "Did I hurt you?" Tormund pleaded.

Brienne smiled at him through her tears. "No." She stared at him as though she were trying to memorize him. "You didn't hurt me." She whispered.

He brought his fingers to her face and stroked her cheek, trying to ease her. "What is it?" He asked, worried.

Brienne looked down and shook her head as if trying to force an image from her mind. She breathed as deeply as she was able with her injured ribs caging her lungs. "When I looked at you just now, I remembered something." She explained. "When that Essosi soldier ran his spear into me..." She paused with a shutter. Tormund pulled her closer. "When he stabbed me, I looked through the battle and saw you there." She brought her eyes to his, large tears sliding down her cheeks. "All I could think of was that I was so glad you were unharmed." She clutched his hands. "I just realized how close I came..." she halted, not wanting to voice her fears.

Tormund put his finger to Brienne's lips, stopping her from finishing. "I know." He nodded. Now that she was safe, he could barely stand to acknowledge the battle that might have led to so much worse. "You're alright now. You're going to heal, and be even stronger." He willed her.

She stared even deeper into his eyes, and shook her head. "That's not what I meant." She brought her face closer to him. "I realized how close I came to losing you." Her pained eyes showed the terror she found in that thought.

He was astounded by her. She had come so close to death, and yet it was his safety that concerned her the most. He closed his eyes and rested his head against hers. "I swear. You will never lose me." He vowed to her as their lips met.
——————————————
Brienne drifted quietly back from her dreams. In her mind, she and Tormund had returned to the North, and were living their happy life together in their little skin house. So lost she had been in her sweet imaginings that she had slept soundly for hours. Jon had returned quickly, the same day he had offered to book passage for Brienne and Tormund on a ship heading south. The last thing Brienne remembered was Tormund lifting her from the cot in which she had fought for her life. She had fallen asleep in his arms before they left the ward. He had set her on a horse, climbed up behind her, and engulfed her in his arms. She had hardly budged, her body still consumed with the business of healing her wounds. Tormund had not given her a hint as to where they were going or how they were getting there.

Awakening slowly, Brienne's senses returned to her gradually. The first thing to which she became aware was that she was still wrapped securely in Tormund's arms as he slept next her, his head resting against her neck. She smiled lazily. For a moment it was as if she was still in her dream, and they were tucked under the furs of their warm bed in the North. As her eyes grew accustomed to the dim light, she realized her surroundings were not made of animal skins, but of wood. The bed where they laid was unfamiliar, and she felt herself rocking and swaying. Her eyes growing wide, she craned her neck trying to gain a better view of their accommodations. Tormund felt Brienne move next to him, and woke with a low sigh. He had been dreaming of their life together as well.

"Are we on a ship?" Brienne questioned, her surprise was only tempered by the knowledge that she was secure with Tormund.

"We are." Tormund answered, breathing in deep the scent of her as he nuzzled her neck.

Brienne's face brightened. "Are we headed North?" She asked hopefully.

"I am not saying a thing." Tormund grinned at her playfully. Brienne relaxed, sensing his ease. It was clear that they were safe, and he obviously had a plan.

Tormund carefully drew back the blanket that covered him and reluctantly crawled from the bed. His back to Brienne, he stretched sumptuously, letting out a loud groan. From the bed, she expelled a complaining sigh when she saw he was completely and gloriously naked. Brienne enjoyed the reaction of her body at the sight of him, but frowned in frustration knowing she had not the strength to carry out the actions she was contemplating. Watching him cross the room and warm a cup of water over the flame of a candle, Brienne moaned at the thought of how close she wanted to be to him.

"You are a cruel, cruel man." She fussed sarcasticly.

He smiled to himself as he added the herbs Sam had given him for Brienne's care to the water. Satisfied with the mixture he crossed back to the bed, set the cup down on a nearby wash stand, and propped Brienne up on the pillows. He sat gently beside her. "Don't worry, my love." He comforted her. "When you are healthy again, we will be making up for a great deal of lost time." He kissed her enticingly.

Brienne ran her fingers up his neck, and through his hair. As she delighted in his kiss, her hands trailed down his chest. "Promise?" She smiled when they parted.

"You will be begging me to stop." Tormund chuckled, retrieving the cup from the bedside. "Now drink your tea." His eyes gleamed. "Maester's orders." He commanded. Brienne's eyes danced with glee over the rim of the cup as she dutifully complied.
————————————-
They had been at sea for nearly four days when finally they docked at Tormund's secret destination. Brienne had been too weak to stray from the small bed in their cabin. Tormund cared for her with the utmost attention, seeing to her every need. On the rare occasion that he did need to venture topside, he was gone for only a few minutes and returned to Brienne's side quickly. She spent most of the journey sleeping, and he had watched over her as if he were her own sworn shield.

Tormund wrapped his own fur outer coat around Brienne's shoulders. She had worn only a light tunic they had given her at Eastwatch and her britches. Even though they were, unbeknownst to her much further south and the weather much warmer, Tormund would take no risks of Brienne getting chilled. He carefully pulled her boots up her calves, and then brought her gently from the mattress into his protective arms. He would carry her to the horse he had charged a deckhand to procure for them.

"I hope this makes you happy." He told her lovingly as he walked to the door, carrying Brienne with him. As they had neared Tarth, he had begun to second guess himself. He hoped his surprise would be a welcome one. "Ready?" Tormund smiled hopefully at her, almost timidly.

"As I'll ever be." Brienne nodded, eager to discover the mystery destination to which he had brought her.

Tormund opened the door and carried her out onto the deck and into the bright sunshine. He tried to shield her eyes, but she squinted a little as the light shocked her vision. He waited, letting her get used to her surroundings. As the glare cleared from her sight Brienne saw the soaring mountain peaks that descended gracefully to the sapphire waves among which she had grown. She gasped, realizing where they were. She breathed in the sweet salt air, and let the warmth flow through her skin.

Brienne turned to Tormund, her arms wrapped around his neck, her eyes glazing with happy tears. "You've brought me to Tarth." She proclaimed in disbelief.

Tormund gave her a happy smile, his eyes misting to match her happiness. "I wanted you to recover someplace warm and comfortable." He regarded her with such caring that this time her breathlessness was not caused by her wound.

Brienne pressed her cheek to his, caressing his jawline with her trembling hand. "I don't deserve you." She whispered.

He closed his eyes and drank in the feel of her in his arms. "Oh no, my angel." He answered lowly. "That's the other way around." His adoring eyes washing over her were warmer than the southern sun under which they stood. Brienne thanked him with a long sweet kiss.

Their vessel landed at Castle Port, a bustling settlement on the Western side of the island, not far from Brienne's ancestral home of Evenfall. The piers were busy this day. A number of ships had docked at the warf and were unloading all sorts of cargo. Crates lined the pathways, loaded with exotic wares. Tormund had never seen such wonders. It was clear to him why Brienne had felt herself so drawn to a life of adventure. The world must have seemed so magnificent, and vast as she grew. He thanked the Gods her path had led her to him.

They walked slowly down the gangplank and onto the wharf, enjoying the sites that met their eyes, Brienne nestled comfortably in Tormund's arms. The horse he had paid for waited, tied near the dock. As they made their way through the crowd, the throng of inhabitants began to notice them. Snippets of shocked chatter reached their ears.

"That's Lady Brienne." A woman's voice recognized the tall blonde woman in the stranger's grasp.

"Lord Selwyn's daughter." A man commented, shocked.

"...with a...a Wildling." Someone gasped.

Brienne felt the anger begin to well up within her. These people that she had been raised among, gawking behind her back, once again. It was the same rage that fired her heart as when they had whispered "Brienne the Beauty" in muffled tones behind her back. This time, however, it was not shame that burned within her, but pride and protectiveness. How dare they act as if the man she loved was something of which to be ashamed.

"I'm sorry." Brienne apologized to Tormund, embarrassment forcing an unwanted blush to her face.

Tormund chuckled. "Do you think I haven't heard those words before, from other people, in other places?" He questioned, amused. "They don't bother me at all. These fools matter nothing to us." He lightly brushed her cheek as if to wipe away the redness. She smiled understandingly at him, comforted by his strength.

They reached their mount to more gaping mouths and surprised reactions. Tormund lifted Brienne atop the horse, and jumped up beside her. He reached around, pulling her close, and took up the reigns. Brienne laughed softly in Tormund's ear. "People on this island do love to talk." She rolled her eyes. Then those same eyes sparked with a mischief that would not have occurred to her before he had entered her life. "Let us give them something to talk about." She glared seductively at him.

Tormund laughed heartily. "What do you have in mind?" He acted as if he could not imagine what Brienne was thinking.

Brienne melted back into arms and lifted her face to his, smiling. He bent his neck and rested his lips against hers. In a moment their lazy kiss had turned animated and passionate. Tormund cradled Brienne's head in his palm as she leaned backwards against his hand, his other arm tightening possessively around her waist. Brienne ran her fingers up Tormund's back and grasped his shoulder. The astonished gasps that rose from the crowd were inaudible to their ears, as they lost themselves in each other. Due to Brienne's injuries, they had been unable to share the intimacy they had known. This kiss, there in front of the stunned crowd, threatened to ignite their denied passions and they were forced to pull away from each other before they could not stop. The smiles on both of their faces told each other how much their public declaration had thrilled them.

As Tormund turned the horse toward the road to Evenfall that Brienne had shown him, they noticed two armored young men on horseback watching them with great interest. Before they had even moved, the men had spurred their mounts and raced off down that very road. Brienne motioned toward their retreat. "Undoubtedly reporting events to the Evenstar." She told Tormund with a sneer. "Nothing happens on this island that my father does not know about." Tormund regarded her words with some apprehension. Winning over Brienne's father had been the one part of the journey he had not considered.
————————————
They traveled for a short distance along a sand covered path that cut across the edge of a golden beach. Tormund squinted at the sunshine that played and glistened off the waves. He had never seen anything so bright in his life, save for Brienne's eyes. The famed sapphire ocean water was rivaled only by their striking blue depths. He turned to watch her as they rode. She was smiling. The pleasant, relaxed, contentment she radiated made him feel wonderful. He knew he had done the right thing bringing her here. She noticed him staring at her.

"It is beautiful? Isn't it?" She looked at him, hoping he found Tarth agreeable. Then she noticed he wasn't even looking at their surroundings anymore.

He did not take his eyes from her as he answered. "It certainly is." He concurred as he kissed her.

As they rounded a dune, Evenfall Hall came into view. The fortress that protected the island stretched upward from a rocky hill that jutted from the beach, overlooking the Straits of Tarth to the North and Shipbreaker Bay to the south. The walls were the same color as the sand, and shone in the bright sun. It's towers stood taller than those of Winterfell. Thick walls anchored the castle to the land as if it were part of the island itself. It was an imposing sight.

Lord Selwyn was already waiting astride his steed at the gates of Evenfall when Brienne and Tormund arrived, the same armored men they had seen at the docks, flanking him at a distance. Brienne sat up and smiled at her father as they approached, happy to see him. Tormund pulled up the horse only a few feet from Brienne's father. The Evenstar regarded the Wildling whose arms were wrapped around his daughter. He wondered at the obvious bond between them. The old man could not help but return his daughter's bright grin. It had been so long since she had visited, and he had missed her terribly.

Selwyn dismounted and bounded the few steps to meet them with power and authority. Brienne gave Tormund a loving nod, and he slid her from his protective grip into the waiting arms of her father. "My darling girl." Selwyn proclaimed as he held Brienne close.

"Father." Brienne exclaimed with relief, happy tears finding her eyes. She wrapped her arms around his neck, embracing Selwyn joyfully.

Tormund climbed down from the horse and backed away a few steps. He would allow them their time. He understood their need for a reunion. If it had been one of his daughters who had nearly died, he would want his time with her. He stood quietly in the background, enjoying Brienne's happiness.

"I got word of the battle, and that you were injured." Lord Selwyn said holding Brienne tighter. "I was out of my mind with worry. I almost lost you." He lamented painfully, squeezing his eyes shut trying to force away the horrible image.

"I had the best of care." Brienne smiled looking over her shoulder at Tormund. She was eager to introduce the man she loved to her doting father, certain the Evenstar would be instantly fond of him. "Father, this is Tormund Giantsbane, of the Free Folk." She beamed.

Selwyn followed her line of site to the flaming haired, bearded, Wildling with whom his daughter had been entwined only moments before. He turned Brienne around in his arms, still supporting her, and regarded Tormund. "It seems I am in your debt." He said gratefully. "You brought my little girl home to me in one piece." He embraced Brienne tighter.

Tormund bowed his head to Lord Selwyn, mindful of showing Brienne's father the utmost respect. "It was the only thing I could do." He confessed. The Evenstar noticed how Tormund never took his eyes from Brienne, and how she seemed breathless in the Wildling's gaze.

Selwyn had heard of the Free Folk, as they called themselves. That rumored barbaric race who lived north of The Wall. The legends that had trickled throughout Westeros held that they were savages who refused to show loyalty to any man, and whose society was uncivilized and lawless. Most in Westeros, especially further North lived in constant fear of them, as it was believed they were ready to invade at any moment. For his part, Selwyn had never quite believed those myths. He had always wondered that if the Wildlings had been so eager to attack in the south, why had they not simply built boats and sailed around The Wall? If their society was so brutal and disorganized how did they still exists? He always suspected the legends were based more on southern fear of the unfamiliar, than actual truths. This particular Free Folk man seemed to have taken excellent care of his daughter, and that was all that mattered to him.

For a moment they stood in nervous silence. Then Brienne's legs buckled. She was still weak and unused to standing for long. Lord Selwyn tried to tighten his grip around her, but Brienne reached out, searching for Tormund's arms. Observant to every change in her, Tormund was beside her in an instant. Sensing Brienne's need, Selwyn released her into Tormund's urgent grasp. In one fluid motion, he lifted Brienne into his arms, and rested her head on his shoulder. The quick burrowing of their foreheads together did not escape the old man's notice, neither did the look of worry and concern on Tormund's face.

"You are still weak." Selwyn exclaimed. "We should get you to your chambers." He motioned for Tormund to follow him, and led the way into the heart of Evenfall Hall.

They walked through the soaring vastness of the Great Hall, up the grand marble staircase, and down the airy main hallway of the second story. Brienne's chambers were on the south side of the castle. The rooms that comprised her suite were large and light-filled. A terrace overlooked Shipbreaker Bay, and open doors filled the space with warm breezes off the sea. Tormund barely noticed the sumptuous surroundings as he crossed to the fire with Brienne in his arms and sat her gently in the chair that stood before the hearth. He kneeled at her side, eager to bring her anything she needed.

"What else can I do?" He asked her, still holding her hand.

She caressed his face, not caring that her father stood nearby, monitoring their every move. "Nothing." She smiled affectionately. "I'm fine."

"A bath, then, perhaps?" Lord Selwyn offered. Brienne and Tormund snapped their attentions back to him and away from each other.

"Oh yes. That would be nice." Brienne looked thoughtfully at her father.

Selwyn stepped to the other side of Brienne's chair and took her free hand. "I'll have a few of the servant girls draw your tub and help you bathe." He smiled at her.

"Thank you, Father." Brienne answered, giving Selwyn a sweet smile. He raised her hand and kissed it warmly. His expression told her how glad he was to have her back.

The Evenstar strode to the door and stood there, waiting. In the time it had taken for him to cross the room, Brienne and Tormund had returned their gazes to each other where they remained fixed, him still kneeling at her side. Lord Selwyn cleared his throat loudly. He understood that this man he did not know, and his daughter had most probably been intimate and likely even shared a bath or two. However, for now, he preferred for Brienne to bathe privately, at least until he knew this Giantsbane better.

Tormund looked questioningly at Brienne unwilling to move. He had not left her side in over a week, and was fearful of doing so now. He felt as if somehow it was his sheer will keeping her healthy. He wanted to be the one to draw her bath, to set her carefully in the water, to bathe her softly, and tend to her still healing wound. It was as if being separated from her for even a short time would leave them both too vulnerable.

Brienne clasp his jaw gently between her hands, and gave him a brave smile. "Go ahead. You've tended to me nonstop for days." She acknowledged, her eyes telling him how grateful she was. "You need some rest." She told him with concern. "I'll be alright." She nodded.

"If you say so." Tormund conceded, lowering his face and closing his eyes. He wanted to keep her presence with him.

Slowly he opened his eyes and rose to his feet. Parting reluctantly from Brienne, Tormund crossed the room to join her father at the door. Almost as if they had already been assigned the task, three servant girls rushed into the room with pails of water, and clean linens. Brienne smiled at Tormund as Selwyn closed the door. Tormund stood trying to glimpse her as long as he could.
————————————
"Follow me!" Selwyn commanded, diverting Tormund's attentions. The Northman bristled. He was not used to being told what to do. The last time Tormund had taken an order he had soldiered at Mance Rayder's side. He shoved down the annoyance that flared within him. This was Brienne's father, after all. He would have to learn to give the man his accustomed authority. They walked in silence along the tapestry hung hallway, and turned down another smaller breezeway. At the end of the corridor, Selwyn's solar was tucked near his personal quarters.

Selwyn swung the heavy double doors open, and stepped to a wide oak sideboard that ran nearly the length of one wall. He took two pewter steins and filled them from a large pitcher. Tormund hung back and watched, studying the Evenstar's very move. He got the feeling that Lord Selwyn was trying to seem imposing and ominous, perhaps to warn him or size him up. Tormund couldn't blame the old man. He himself dreaded the day his own daughters would bring home the unworthy wretches who will win their hearts. He supposed he would have to scare the shit out of the little runts. The difference was, he was not afraid. He had beaten down a dozen men for Brienne, he would fight her father, too. He only hoped he would not need to.

Selwyn turned and held out a stein to Tormund, who took it gladly with a nod of thanks. With Brienne being injured and needing his care it had been a while since he had enjoyed a drink, and thought it was fitting at this moment. He took a long gulp of the dark liquid it held, and was pleased to find that it was ale and not wine. Before he had fully downed his swallow, Lord Selwyn spoke.

"I hear you had my daughter North of the Wall." Lord Selwyn announced judgingly as Tormund took another generous swill.

Tormund nearly choked on his ale. For once his usual bold and fearless swagger waivered. He studied Lord Selwyn, restlessly. Had the noble meant that he knew Tormund had enjoyed every inch of Brienne while they were in the North.

Selwyn gave him no time to wonder further. "How did my island girl fair up there?" He gave a fatherly smile thinking with pride of Brienne.

Tormund visibly relaxed. He hoped Lord Selwyn had not noticed. "Like she was born to it." He complimented the woman he loved. His face too softened, thinking of Brienne among the cold wonders of the North. "It suited her." Tormund acknowledged. Selwyn nodded proudly. He would expect nothing less of his valiant daughter.

Tormund continued, wanting Selwyn to know that he now considered Brienne a Northwoman. "She became as one of the Free Folk." He puffed boastfully. "My daughters love her." He also wanted it known that Brienne was part of his family.

"You're a widower, then?" Selwyn understood, thinking he had found a common ground.

"No." Tormund informed him, taking another drink of ale. "Their mothers and I were never married." He described the arrangement as if it was the most natural and commonplace thing in the world.

Selwyn swelled to his full height and girth. This was it, he had found the real purpose behind the wildling's interest in Brienne. He did his best to hold his anger in check, but was losing the battle. The nerve of this insolent savage.

"So!" Selwyn's voice rose as he slammed his mug down on the sideboard. "You aim to finish what the Kingslayer started, and make my daughter your whore?"

The Evenstar shook with fury. "Perhaps she is already filled with another bastard for you." He condemned.

Tormund's hand went instinctively to his weapon. He did not care who this southern lord was, how dare the man scorn his girls. How dare he shame Brienne. "My daughters are not bastards. They wear my name." His eyes burned with the need for revenge.

"Brienne is no whore. I'll fight any man who says different." He was so furious he had to keep his fists clenched, one around his sword hilt, so he would not pummel Selwyn to death.

"The Kingkiller wasn't worthy to walk the same world as Brienne. I should have killed the cocksucker when I had the chance. Before he ever touched her." Tormund lamented, his chest heaving with rage.

Selwyn stepped back and regarded Tormund. No one had ever had the audacity to speak to him that way. Men fell before him, and trembled at his anger. Tormund Giantsbane was the only man who had ever been courageous enough or crazy enough to challenge him. The fact that had claimed children born to him out of wedlock was proof of his honor. His protectiveness of Brienne confirmed how much he loved her. Finally a man worthy of Selwyn's beloved daughter.

Lord Selwyn raised his eyebrow and stroked his beard, considering the situation.
"You are in love with my daughter?" His question was more a statement of fact, than an inquiry.

Tormund did not budge. "Since the first moment I laid eyes on her." He declared with conviction.

"And when was that?" Selwyn's threatening posture relaxed.

"At Castle Black." Tormund recounted. He sensed Selwyn was now warming to him. "A while before the battle with the dead." He continued, and his eyes went soft remembering the first time he had seen Brienne. "She came riding into the yard, so tall and powerful." He caught his breath. "She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen." Tormund could still picture the breathtaking site of her.

"Beautiful?" Selwyn questioned. Tormund glared at him. "Not many have found my sweet daughter so." He shook his head regretfully.

Tormund nodded his understanding. His mind again saw the tears in Brienne's eyes when she told him of how people had regarded her, and the pain it had caused her. "She's been surrounded by fools most of her life." He spoke bitterly.

"That she has." Selwyn affirmed. He could scare believe that finally someone else saw how enchanting Brienne was. This Wildling had just assured his place in Brienne's life as far as Selwyn was concerned. If Tormund had asked, the Evenstar would have given him her hand then and there.
—————————————-
Tormund spent the afternoon drinking with Brienne's father. The mood between the two of them had lightened considerably, and he had to admit he quite liked the old man. Tormund had described the North, and his daughters whom Selwyn went from describing as bastards to admitting they sounded like lovely young women. Selwyn had shared stories of Brienne from her childhood, some of which Tormund was sure she would not want known. He would have to remember them.

Tormund felt no need to knock when he returned to Brienne's chambers in the late afternoon, but entered quietly and found her napping in the luxurious cloud that was her bed. Feeling guilty for leaving her for much of the day, he studied her intently to make sure all was well. As he stood next to the mattress reveling in how lovely she looked, Brienne stirred. Bringing her hands up beside her face, she stretched as widely as her wound would allow, and smiled the most rested and contented smile Tormund had ever seen. After a moment Brienne's eyes opened. Her smiled grew even wider when she saw him.

"I didn't mean to wake you." Tormund said, sitting down beside her. He took her hand and kissed it.

"You didn't." Brienne confessed. "I was just dozing, and thinking of you." She grinned. He leaned down and tenderly placed his lips upon hers. They shared a sweet and passionate kiss.

When they parted, he stretched out beside her, and propped his head on one hand. She continued to hold onto his other hand, her fingers playing with his.

"Did you have a nice afternoon with my father?" Brienne asked with exaggerated innocence, knowing the conversation had most probably been more like an interrogation.

Tormund raised his brows and sneered at her playfully. "Yes. We had a good talk." He shrugged considering all they had spoken of. "I think he likes me." He smiled widely, leaning closer to her.

Brienne nodded in playful agreement. "How could he not?" She questioned as she wrapped her arms around his neck. They relaxed into a long delicious kiss.

When they parted, Tormund reclined back onto the pillows next to Brienne. Their hands clasped together as they laid next to each other. "He invited us to dinner." Tormund informed her.

Brienne smiled joyfully. "Oh, that should be so nice." She beamed. Tormund hoped she was correct.
—————————————
Tormund and Brienne lounged together in her chambers until the sun went down. The light through the large windows grew gradually soft, and the air began to cool. "Could you help me dress?" Brienne smiled sweetly at Tormund, trying to sit up a little.

"It would be my pleasure." Tormund teased as he nibbled her neck. Brienne laughed openly at the tickling sensation.

He rose from the bed, and bowed reverently. "Command me, My Lady." He begged, sweeping his arms wide.

Brienne giggled and played along. "The wardrobe, over there." She pointed lazily at a tall heavy piece of furniture across the room. Tormund marched over to the large paneled doors on the front and threw them open, revealing a number of long gowns. He smirked seductively at Brienne, imagining her in them.

"I only wear these when I'm here." Brienne blushed. "My father likes to dress me up." She shook her head amused. "I'm his only child. I humor him." She almost felt the need to apologize.

"You are a very sweet daughter." Tormund cooed at her.

"Why, thank you." Brienne grinned and nestled her head against her shoulders, allowing his compliment to wash over her. "Could you pull that one out for me?" She asked charmingly.

Tormund reached in and pulled out a deep red dress. He held it up for Brienne's inspection. She thought for a moment, and wrinkled her nose. "Mmmm. No. Too dramatic." Tormund threw it over his shoulder. Brienne's laugh was the loveliest sound he had ever heard.

He reached in and grabbed another. "This one?" He asked as if it was the most important decision in the world. Brienne again rejected the option. It too, went sailing over his shoulder. Tormund took hold of a soft blue gown, and brought it out of the chest for Brienne's inspection.

"Perfect!" She squealed."

He brought the garment to the bed and laid it out. Brienne threw back the blankets, revealing the thin shift the servants had dressed her in after her bath. It skimmed her body in all the right places. He felt his body begin to react to her. Perhaps this dressing her request had not been such a good idea. He would need to have her soon.

Brienne managed to perch herself on the edge of the bed. Looking up at him, she understood his desire. A wonderful thought came to her mind and her smile turned mischievous. She softly patted the mattress beside her. "Sit down." She whispered, the familiar wetness forming between her legs at the anticipation of what she was planning. He complied without question. She turned herself to face him, in order to reach as far as she could, careful not to aggravate her wound. Her hands lightly pulled his tunic up and over his head. She let it fall on the bed behind them.

She brought her lips to his neck and nuzzled into his beard, her tongue and teeth nipping playfully. He began to protest, knowing she was still to week to fully make love. She stopped him with a finger on his lips. "Shhhh." She warned. "Don't worry." She eased.

Brienne slowly untied the waistband that held her shift closed, and moved the fabric over her shoulders exposing her firm, perfect breasts to Tormund. Moving her face closer, she licked his lips and then pressed her own to his mouth. Finding more of him to nibble, she forced his mouth open and explored it with her tongue. He groaned from deep in his throat, sweeping his hand through her hair and cradled her head in his hand. He thrilled at the soft sweetness of her tongue as it played against his. His free hand brushed the unmarred side of her ribcage. Moving up to her breasts, he squeezed and worked them briskly, kneading the flesh and pinching her nipples between his expert fingers. She moaned lustfully in response to his touch.

Pulling away, Brienne left Tormund wanting more, but she intended to watch him as she pleasured him. She drew one hand down his ribs and rested it at his waist to support herself. She slowly burrowed her other hand down the front of his britches. Pulling the fabric back, she exposed his needful waiting hardness. The site of his full glory frustrated her. How she longed to feel him inside her. Brienne decided to take her resentment out on Tormund. She did not think he would mind. Grabbing his shoulders she pulled him forcefully to her, and met his lips with a vengeance. She made him wait for a moment, her hand resting near the base of his tall erect shaft. His breath grew shallow in anticipation. Parting from his lips, she stared at him once more, her eyes drowsy with passion. Slowly, softly, she began to play with him. Her finger closed around him almost imperceptibly, and she squeezed softly as she began to move her hand gently up and down him, tightening and releasing as she went. His body shuddered at the feel of her skin against him. She stared into his eyes. His pupils were wide with excitement. He bent his head back in sheer ecstasy from the arousal as she worked him.

Tormund brought his lips once more to hers and gave her the only gratification he knew would not harm her in her weakened condition. He brushed his mouth teasingly against hers and then backed away, smiling wickedly at her need. Once more he moved in, this time catching her bottom lip in his teeth, and holding her there. Brienne smiled and laughed breathily at his teasing. Releasing her, he did not give her time to move, but thrust his tongue into her mouth. She inhaled sharply, and then exhaled a hot breath slowly against his skin, groaning in delight.

All the while Brienne continued to work him. He grew even harder as she sped up her repeated tugging. She became more forceful with her movements, sliding past the tip and then slamming her fist down toward the base, and waiting there a split second pulling. Tormund's breathing quickened and his moaning grew louder as she began to bring him to his climax. She tightened her grasp on him, and felt his body shudder. He pulled her gently toward him, his hands clenching her waist and hips. His face dropped against hers and he closed his eyes. Brienne continued her thrusting, tightening around him. The shallowness of her own breath matched his as she brought him to the height of his passion. He grunted vigorously, his body spasming as his seed exploded from his swollen tip and ran down her fingers. He collapsed against her uninjured side gasping for air.

"Gods, woman!" Tormund choked. "Even I didn't know how much I needed that." He smiled. He had been so intent on caring for her, he had ignored all but the necessities for himself.

"I thought you could use some release." Brienne grinned as she kissed his shoulder, happy she could please him. He caught her face in his hands and kissed her sweet lips, still panting. She melted into him.

"Are you alright?" He asked worried.

"I'm perfectly fine." She smiled. "You?" She inquired teasingly.

"Oh Gods, Yes!" He declared as he nuzzled her neck. "Couldn't be better." He rested against her for another moment.

Brienne wiped her hand, slippery and full with the evidence of his passion for her, onto the skirt of her shift.

"Aren't you afraid those servant girls will see that?" He pretended to be shocked.

"No!" Brienne scoffed. "I hope they do." She pouted indignantly. "You should have heard them giggling and whispering that they fancied you. As if you couldn't possibly be with me." She jutted out her jaw angrily.

Tormund crooked his head to the side and raised his eyebrow conceitedly. "Really?" He gave Brienne a self-satisfied smile. "Maybe I should see if they'll draw me a bath." He teased.

Brienne gasped and looked at him, acting shocked he would consider such a thing. "Don't you dare." She ran her arms around his waist. "This is all mine." She declared, pulling him to her still bare breasts and kissing him sweetly.

"Yes, it is." He swore, returning her affection with loving warmth. "Don't worry. I'm all yours. Always!" He grinned, and was rewarded with a wide smile from her. He kissed her temple to accentuate his promise, and held her tight a moment longer.

She sat back and sighed, hating letting him go. "Help me dress?" She requested with a cooing sweetness.

Tucking himself back into his clothing, Tormund stood and took Brienne's hands in his. He carefully helped her to her feet, as her shift fell to the floor. Her long, lean body was fully exposed to him. He shook his head and laughed to himself. Just a little over a year ago, after the battle at Winterfell, he thought he would never see her again. Now here she was...his.

"How did I get so lucky?" He whispered to himself. Brienne rolled her eyes in jest, but enjoyed the compliment.

Tormund reached down and carefully picked up the gown Brienne had chosen from the bed. It felt like water in his hands. He gathered the soft fabric between his fingers and softly lifted the garment over Brienne's head. It floated down around her and fell over her frame like the softest snowfall. The gown skimmed her hips and reached to the floor. She lightly tied the wide sash of fabric at her waistline, and spun around for his review, uncomfortable in such finery.

"How do I look?" She asked biting her lower lip, her expression unsure.

She was breathtaking. All he could do was stare, and picture her in the role of a proper Westeros lady. A lovely little fantasy, for a moment. Then his mind went back to Brienne shining in her armor, riding commandingly into Castle Black. He felt again the numbness in his hands, and how his legs went weak when he watched her. He thought about the times they had shared, and the ordeal they had just been through as she lay wounded. Then he realized in what he preferred her, Free Folk fur. He took her hands and brought them to his lips. "

"You look like you ought to be with someone a Hells of a lot better than me." He told her humbly.

Brienne reached out and caressed his jaw. "There is no one better than you." she affirmed. They shared one more kiss before leaving her chamber arm in arm, and walking slowly to the salon where Lord Selwyn dined. Tormund watched guardedly over her every step, ready to gather her in his arms at any moment.
———————————-
By the time they reached the salon where they would take dinner with Lord Selwyn, Tormund could already tell that Brienne was tiring. Her legs were shaky as she walked, and she grasped onto his arms tighter, now with both hands. The short journey through the halls of Evenfall had exerted her energy more than he had thought it might. He was worried and eager to have her sitting. Selwyn stood as they entered the room, and held out his arms for Brienne. As they approached Tormund released Brienne to her fathers protective embrace, the only other person in the world he would trust with her.

Selwyn wrapped his arms around Brienne and held her tenderly. The relief at having her once more safe at Evenfall showed unmistakably on his face. The highborn lord laid a kiss in his daughter's hair and lingered there for a moment, his arms believing she was a little girl again. When he pulled away there were tears in his eyes at having nearly lost her. If she had asked him for the world, he would have stopped at nothing to give it to her. Tormund stood back giving father and daughter their time, happy that Brienne had been raised with such love.

"And how was your rest this afternoon, my dear?" Selwyn asked Brienne smiling. "Peaceful, I trust." He patted her cheek.

Brienne nodded. "Yes, very much." She confirmed. "It was nice to be back in my own bed for awhile." She did not tell him that her bed was far north of The Wall, and that she shared it with Tormund.

As if sensing her thoughts, Selwyn turned his attention to Tormund, his arm still surrounding Brienne. " Again, you have my eternal gratitude for seeing my daughter safely to Evenfall." He acknowledged.

"The smile on her face is all the thanks I need." Tormund grinned, his gaze locked on Brienne. She favored him with a loving smile, that lingered over him.

Lord Selwyn sat Brienne softly into the chair to the left of him, and motioned for Tormund to take the seat to his right. The Evenstar settled himself at the head of the table. He snapped his fingers at the servants who waited for commands near the doorway. The young men hurried to bring three large covered platters from the sturdy buffet to the table. "I took the liberty of asking the cooks to prepare Brienne's favorite." Selwyn beamed at her, hoping she was pleased.

"Oh father." Brienne grinned. "I have not had lobster in years." She laughed, touched by his thoughtfulness. The servants sat the trays on the table in front of each of them, and lifted the lids to reveal three gigantic bright red insect-looking creatures that stared at them with dead eyes from the plates. Brienne stifled a giggle as Tormund looked down at dinner in disbelief. She could almost see his stomach turn.

"Never had shellfish before?" Selwyn asked with a hearty laugh. He had already grabbed his portion and pulled it apart exposing the succulent meat inside. He tore off a large piece, dipped in a bowl of yellow liquid and downed it with a gulp, barely chewing.

"Can't say as I have." Tormund shook his head, lifting the creature from the plate and studying it.

Brienne smiled at Tormund thoughtfully. "It's a delicacy here on Tarth."

She found the confused look on his face adorable, but she did not want him to feel awkward. "Here." She showed him. "You take it like this, and tear off a piece." Tormund followed her direction as she broke a claw from her boiled crustacean with a loud cracking sound, and used to her fingers to twist off a bit of bright white flesh.

"Then dig out the meat and dip it in the melted butter." She smiled, enjoying her first taste in a long while.

Tormund did as he was shown, and found the meal was quite to his liking. He flashed his bright eyes at Brienne as he chewed a large mouthful of lobster, trails of the butter streaming down his beard. She laughed out loud watching him. When Brienne popped another bite between her teeth, a tiny drop of butter lingering at the corner of her mouth. Tormund stared lustfully at her, not caring if her father read the desire on his face, and longed to lick the droplet from her lips.

Selwyn did notice. As the three spent a nice evening talking and trading stories he saw the unspoken want that hung heavy between Brienne and the Wildling. He noticed their private jests, their easy ways with each other, and their desirous looks. His heart was overjoyed that his daughter had found a man who truly saw her, and loved her. He was elated that finally, Brienne had let someone into her lonely world. He vowed that his daughter and her Northman would leave his island as husband and wife.
—————————————-
After the meal, Selwyn could see that Brienne was tiring. However, he had not had a chance to speak to her when she arrived, and he needed to discuss matters with Brienne. "I have greatly enjoyed our dinner, but if you do not mind I must speak with my daughter, privately." He appealed to Tormund.

Tormund looked to Brienne for his answer. If she needed him, Lord Selwyn would have to wait. She smiled at him, touched by his concern. "It's alright." Brienne told him, although she was a bit nervous as to what her father might have to say to her.

"I will see to it she returns to her rooms unharmed." Selwyn grinned clamping Tormund on the shoulder. He moved the Wildling toward the door where the same servant girls who had earlier seen to Brienne's bath waited. "Our girls will see you to your chambers."

The young women cast their eyes to the ground and could not look at either Tormund or Brienne. Brienne smiled with self-satisfaction. They had apparently found her soiled shift, and their demeanor told her the message she sent, to stay away from Tormund, had been received loud and clear. Tormund nodded a thanks to Selwyn for dinner, and looked over his shoulder to check Brienne once more as he left the room.

Lord Selwyn held his hand out to his daughter and gave her a loving smile. She accepted, and he aided her gently in standing. Taking her arm, he led her to a small settee by the roaring fire in the hearth and lowered her unto the cushions.

"Wine?" Selwyn offered. Brienne was unable to read his tone, or his expression.

Brienne nodded. "Yes, please." She felt she might need the assistance of alcohol to face this discussion. She had been dreading talking to her father about the events that had brought her to Evenfall. She knew Jaime Lannister would somehow find his way into the conversation.

Selwyn decided to start slow. He filled two goblets with wine, and sat beside Brienne, handing one to her. "How are you feeling?" He inquired, genuinely concerned for her well being.

"A little better every day." Brienne smiled nervously as she took a sip of wine. She stood the cup on the table next to her, but kept it close.

Selwyn took her hand, and looked at her earnestly. "I am very glad to hear that." He smiled. "When I got word that you had been wounded, I cannot tell what went through...my...mind." Selwyn trailed off, tears coming to his eyes. He took Brienne's hand and held it tight for a moment.

"Father." Brienne whispered understandingly. She moved her hand to hold his cheek, and felt it wet with tears. "Oh, please don't cry."

He squeezed her fingers, and gave a brave laugh. "I cannot help it." He looked into her eyes. "I gave you my blessing to follow your dreams and live your own life. I agreed to allow you to enter the dangerous world of battle, and have been proud of everything you have done." Selwyn closed his eyes for a moment and breathed deeply. " But you are my only child. I cannot bear the thought of losing you." He kissed her hand sweetly.

For the first time, Brienne realized how great a sacrifice her father had made in allowing her to train, and to leave their home to enter the service of others. It made her heart ache for him. She wanted to ease his mind.

"I have always been grateful that you indulged my wishes. I know it was hard for you, and I have never taken that for granted." Brienne said solemnly. "I have seen many battles, and I have always felt your love and strength beside me, bolstering me." She declared, her tears mirroring those of her father.

Brienne continued, remembering someone else's strength that had seen her through the fight of her life. "Even as I lay bleeding on that beach, I knew I would be alright." She told Selwyn.

"How could you be certain of such a thing?" He needed to know.

Brienne's eyes grew distant and dreamy. Her already pleasant smile, softened even more. "Because Tormund was with me." She saw his dear face so clearly in her mind that she could almost reach out and touch him.

Lord Selwyn thought of how shocked he was to see his daughter riding up to Evenfall in the arms of a savage Northman. He had wanted to order the Wildling to be removed from the grounds. Then Selwyn had realized how deeply in love the man was with his daughter. He saw that same love now shining in Brienne's eyes for Tormund Giantsbane. This was all he had ever wanted for her, to be happy and to be loved.

"You love him, this Wildling?" Selwyn confirmed.

"With all of my heart." Brienne's smile grew wide. She ached for Tormund and wished she were with him now.

Brienne looked seriously at her father. "And the term is Free Folk." She told him. "Wildling is derogatory slang created by people in the south to inaccurately describe an entire culture they had no wish to understand."

"A culture to which you now belong?" Selwyn questioned.

Brienne smiled, imagining how comfortable and welcomed she had felt in the North. "Yes." She affirmed proudly.

"And, marriage?" Selwyn pushed. "Have you discussed that?" He eyed her uncomfortably.

Brienne grinned, understanding. "In time, Father. All in good time." She squeezed his hand reassuringly.

"Alright." He acquiesced, "Just be aware that I expect any grandchildren you may present me to be legitimate." He warned.

"Father!" Brienne announced, shocked. "You're getting a little ahead of yourself." She laughed.

"Am I?" He cast a judging eye over her. He was well aware that his daughter and her lover had been together in her chambers earlier that afternoon. He was certain it was not the first time. Brienne felt the blush come to her cheeks. Suddenly she felt like a child who had been caught in a dalliance.

"Do not worry, my dear." Selwyn tried to ease her embarrassment. "You are a grown woman. One who has spent her life in the company of men. I do not delude myself as to your experiences." Again she blushed. "I simply want to make certain that this Tormund Giantsbane is the one for you, and that he loves you." Selwyn reassured her.

"Father." Brienne regarded him, but her mind was far away. "He beat down more than a dozen men for the right to me." She said proudly.

"The right to you?" Lord Selwyn was shocked. "What kind of place did he take you to?" He demanded.

Brienne shook her head to calm his fears. "It wasn't like that." She smiled. "I am perfectly safe there."

She took his face in her hands. "Oh, Father." Brienne smiled. "He loves me. He loves me for what I am, not in spite of it." Lord Selwyn could see the depth of emotion and faith Brienne had for Giantsbane shining in her bright eyes, and was sure they belonged together.

Selwyn did not wish to tarnish the moment, but he had to know of the other man to which Brienne had given more than her heart. "And what of this Kingslayer, I have heard about?"

Brienne cast her eyes down. Her father knew. He knew what she had done, what she had given up. It was a long moment before she find her voice. "He was a mistake." She lamented. "And I was a fool." She could not force herself to look her father in the eye.

It was Selwyn's turn to cast his eyes down. "No, my dear. You are not a fool." He corrected. "Too trusting at times, perhaps." A faint smile crossed his face thinking about how kind and caring his daughter was. Then he took her chin in his gentle grasp and lifted her gaze. "But not a fool, never."

Brienne eye's searched her father's face as he continued. "You have the biggest heart of anyone I have ever known." He complimented. "Stronger people than you have fallen victim another's falsehood, especially when it is presented under the guise of love." He comforted her. "You have nothing to be ashamed of." Lord Selwyn regarded her with loving pride.

Relief washed over Brienne at her father's words. He did not think less of her, and he understood. Selwyn held Brienne's face in his hands. "I am certain that in whatever Hell Jamie Lannister has landed, he will spend eternity knowing exactly what he gave up." He leaned forward and kiss Brienne's forehead.

Lord Selwyn sat back and lovingly regarded his daughter. Large tears fell from Brienne's eyes as she watched him. "Thank you father." She smiled.

"All I want is your happiness." He told her.

Brienne's thoughts went to Tormund and the memories they had already made. Her smile grew and brightened the entire room. "I have found it." She beamed at her father.
————————————
Later that evening Lord Selwyn saw Brienne back to her chambers. He was so happy to have her at Evenfall, and so jubilant over her return to health that he nearly carried her. He settled her onto her bed, and made sure a fresh shift was laid out for her at the foot of her mattress. Brienne assured him that she needed no further assistance, and he bid her goodnight. Selwyn left her chambers feeling quite sure that she would not be alone for long. He was right.

Brienne relaxed, leaning back on her palms and waited. No sooner had Lord Selwyn left, than Tormund came sliding stealthily through her door. Her face brightened when she saw him. She had missed him, and needed him near her. When she saw the dismayed expression on his face, her's dropped to match.

"What's wrong?" Brienne asked, troubled.

Tormund bounded across the room to reach her. He knelt in front of her and rested his head in her lap, his arms encircling her waist. Unable to bend down to embrace him, due to her wound, Brienne lovingly rested her hands on his back. Holding him for a moment, she slipped her fingers under his cheeks and lifted his face to look at her.

"Tell me." She begged,

"That room they gave me." Tormund explained.

Brienne found his frustration adorable. She hid her amusement and played along. "Is it too small?" She teased.

He shook his head. "Half our village could fit in there." Tormund scoffed.

"Too cold?" Brienne played with him again.

Tormund rolled his eyes. "I was born in the cold." He grew more irritated.

She could no longer stand his distress. "What then, My Love?" Brienne looked at him sympathetically.

"It's half way down the hall from you." Tormund lamented. "I cannot be that far from you." He informed her.

"Oh." Brienne said, relieved. "Is that all?" She shrugged.

"Is that all?" He echoed, perching urgently on the mattress beside her. His voice growing louder. He could not believe Brienne was not equally as upset at the situation.

Brienne held his face to hers, delighting in the closeness of him and how near he wanted to be to her. "You don't have to stay there." She reminded him.

Tormund thought for a moment. Then he began to smile, his eyes widening at the thought. "No. I don't." He grinned up at her.

Brienne shook her head to emphasize his thought. "No. Just do what you did tonight." She laughed.

"Yeah!" He nodded, picturing it.

"You didn't think I was going to spend every night here without you, did you?" Brienne questioned him.

Tormund howled with happiness, as Brienne laughed. He helped her change into her shift, and eased her back onto the pillows. Removing his own clothes, Tormund crawled into bed beside her. They both wanted desperately to celebrate their passion, but her injuries still thwarted them. Instead he cloaked her in his protective arms and held her through the night. Softly, he whispered the things he wanted to do to Brienne in her ear, as they were lulled to sleep by the sounds of the surf through the open windows.
——————————————-
The Outlander awoke from the same dream he had every night. He was spurring his horse back to her. Back to the love he had left. Not the evil wicked queen, but to the sweet warm brave woman he had knighted. He had been a fool to ever have left her. The image of her stricken face as she begged him not to go haunted his every waking moment. He had only the vision of mending his gravest mistake to comforted his sleep.

Each morning he would wake, and for the essence of a moment he could make himself believe he had never left, and that he still lay beside her in the darkness. He could feel the warmth of the her skin, and hear the music of her sighs as she slept. Each day he found he was only allowed to enjoy his imaginings for so short a time until he would awaken and find himself unbearably far from her. He wondered if she ever thought of him. Did she have the same dream when she awoke many hours later in the West? It was as if he had landed in some unknown Hell, this miserable eastern crossroads to which his brother had sent him to heal. He reminded himself that any place was Hell without her.

He swore that when he was well, he would go back. He would find her. He would fall upon the ground before her, and beg her to give him the chance he had taken from them. He vowed she would be his again. If it took his entire life, he would find a way to win her back.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

567K 14.1K 94
"Be honourable", I plead as his lips hover dangerously close to mine "But you aren't an honourable man are you Jaime Lannister?" I dare to ask knowin...
20.3K 584 31
What if Sansa had not pushed Petyr away? What if she had entertained the idea of fulfilling his dream? Could their relationship possibly flower in a...
35.8K 363 54
Game Of Thrones one shots. They won't all be romance. Some may be family or others just friends ❤️- lover, wife, gf etc 🖤- stranger, first meeting...
10.6K 340 16
She had told him that they could go somewhere warm, before. Somewhere that he could see the ocean, the blue oceans, not the muddy murky mess that lap...