Only One Year Left to Live

By The_Anonymous_Me

She was an average 18 year old girl with bright dreams and big plans... Until she finds out she only has one... More

AUTHOR'S NOTE
Prologue
Chapter 1: Love Beginning to Blossom~
Chapter 2: The Beginning of a Friendship~
Chapter 3: More Than Friends~
Chapter 4: Love~
I'm Temporarily Putting this Story on Hold :( *Edit
Chapter 5: Running out of Time~
Chapter 6: Total Disaster~
Chapter 7: Cole Mathews~
Chapter 8: Life Alone~
Chapter 9: Tearful Reunion~

Chapter 10: End~

753 24 36
By The_Anonymous_Me

End~

***

Cole's POV

"Let me in!" I growled and struggled furiously, pushing towards the operation room with all my remaining strength. I gritted my teeth in frustration as I feel the tight, uncomfortable grip of manly arms around my torso. "Let me go!" I hissed, as I thrashed my arms wildly about, like some mad man. I could feel the tingly sensation of my own sweat trickling down my forehead. My wet shirt was stuck to my body, and my hair was a mess of tangled strands.

"You can't go in," the doctor repeated for the millionth time, as he pulled me back with his muscular arms. I have no idea how he managed to keep his cool up until now, but he did. It was a huge surprise. I have been wrestling him, trying to force my way into the room Dianne's in for the past half hour. The result was rather disappointing... "Normally, you would be permitted to enter the delivery room during childbirth... However, this is a special case. She's in a very critical condition. A small error can result in death to both the patient and the child."

"Cole, I understand your feelings right now," muttered Dianne's mom, who's sobbing whilst pushed against her husband. He was gently stroking her hair and whispering into her ear, trying to calm her. Her entire body was shaking. "You're not the only one. We feel the same too! We want to go in as well, you know!"

"Please," I begged, panting. "Dianne's in there... She's in there!" I pleaded, desperate. I have to get in there. I need to see her. I must. She must be in pain right now. I have to be by her side, and comfort her. I need to see her one last time. What if she doesn't make it? What if I can't even say my goodbyes?

I shook my head. I need to stop thinking like that. I have faith in her, she's a strong girl.

Dianne, please wait for me. Please don't die on me... Wait till I say my goodbyes...

***

The door opened at last...

"Dianne!" I dashed towards the room, almost tripping.

"Wait," one of the nurses stopped me. "She's... In a critical condition. Her lungs have completely stopped. I'm afraid-" The girl paused and a look of sadness washed over her like a wave. "We're doing our best to save her right now, but... It's not working."

I let the words sink in one by one. I absorbed each one completely, as they stabbed at my heart like knives. I instantly panicked, and I felt the strength that I once had, drain from my legs. Strange, why is it that I suddenly can no longer stand? I quickly grabbed onto the wall for support.

"She's still alive, right?" I asked the question that I've been fearing all along. I mentally prepared for it, as an adrenaline rush vigorously pumped through my veins, making me rather lightheaded.

From the corner of my eye, I can see the shadows of Dianne's parents entering the room.

"She's alive right?" I repeated.

"She's stopped breathing, and she's not waking up... But... Her brain waves haven't completely stopped..." Mumbled the nurse under her breath.

"What about the child?"

"The child... Hasn't exited the womb yet."

"What?!" I screamed at her. "What do you mean by that? Wasn't she giving birth in there?!" Rage burned in me, and I could feel my body temperature rise. They were doctors. Weren't they supposed to save people?

"We weren't able to... She suddenly stopped breathing, and... And we were forced to stop in the middle. We're asking her guardians to decide whether to prioritize the patient's life, or the baby's. They're required to sign the paper, in order for us to proceed. If we don't hurry, both will lose their lives."

Am I seriously hearing what I'm hearing right now? Please, someone, tell me this isn't true. Tell me this is a dream.... How can we choose between her and our child? Even if Dianne may die shortly after being saved, by choosing to let go of one right now is the same as murder!

Empty minded, I shoved the nurse out of my way and stumbled into the operation room, feeling weaker than ever.

"We'll choose Dianne," I heard her mom say. "Just do it! Save my daughter, hurry!" Sobs broke out, and she blew her nose with a tissue.

"Alright, so we'll kill the baby." My eyes widened at those words. What are they saying? Kill the baby? Our baby? That's all we have left. That's the only memory of Dianne we have left. It's the beautiful miracle we made. Our memories, everything. All hope is stored in that tiny little body. Dianne may not have long left, but the baby has a whole life to live...

Before I realized, a loud voice broke out, silencing the room.

"No, Save the baby." It took me a while to understand that it was my own voice. I had spoken my thoughts out loud subconsciously...

Instantly, all eyes turned to me. "Please, I beg of you. Mr. and Mrs. Parker. Save our child. Dianne... She would've wanted that too... I'm sure."

Me and her mom locked eyes for a few seconds, before her face scrunched up into a bitter scowl.

"How dare you. You little dirty piece of shit! You want to kill my daughter to save the little rat you made with her?" She spat at me, with all the hatred she could possibly muster. "How would you know what she would have wanted. What do you know about her?"

"Please, I beg of you..." I pleaded, not backing down.

"You little-" she screamed at me, but was silenced by her husband's hand.

Dianne's father looked at me, before nodding and turning to the doctor. "The baby's life is priority. I'll sign it."

I could see Dianne's mom widen her eyes in horror. "What the fuck?!" Angry that she didn't get her way, she aggressively yanked the pen out of her partner's hand. "What the hell is wrong with you? Listening to what some kid says? What about your daughter, huh?" As if that wasn't enough, she grabbed his arm and forcefully began yanking at it, as if it were the rope in "tug of war". "How dare you do this! You little useless fucker! You-"

A sharp smack rung through the air, sending vibrations throughout the long hallways, echoing gently. A look of disgust and fury was planted on the middle-aged man's wrinkled face, as his shaky hand was held in midair. The slap had instantly silenced her, and she was rubbing at the spot, with her face towards the ground.

He gently took the pen out of her hand and signed the sheet. Then, after the doctors had returned back into the room, he turned to face me.

"Cole Mathews." I jumped slightly at the mention of my name.

"Yes?"

"Thank you," he smiled gently at me. This was unexpected.... "Thank you, for showing my daughter happiness. I'm truly greatful. I used to hate you, because I feel that you robbed her of everything... But now, I finally realized.... You didn't rob her, but instead you gave her something we could never give her- true happiness. Not only that, you gave her a present. The baby in her womb right now, that's what's left of her. That's why we must cherish the baby. Dianne will be gone, even if we save her today. If the baby dies too, there will be nothing left of her. So thank you, Cole. Thank you. Thank you for making me realize before it was too late."

***

So here I am, right now, with my arms around the little angel heaven gave to me. Tears of mixed emotions tumbling down my cheeks. If only these tears could wash out my sorrow, my despair. I didn't get to see her one last time... Dianne had passed. I'm by her bed, on my knees. Her lifeless and cold body stayed still as ever. I couldn't stop the flow of my tears no matter how desperately I tried... She was gone, the one and only person I truly loved my whole life.... Dianne, she's gone. All those memories and times we've spend have faded to ash. Once again, just like months ago, I'm kneeling by her bed, crying for all I'm worth. I'm crying till my tears are dry. The only difference, is that last time I was empty handed. This time, I'm not alone.

The pinkish baby boy is alive, and with me. Our child is here with me. I could feel the warmth of the small and fragile human in my hands. A few more tears rolled down my face. This time, they were tears of joy and relief.

The baby began to wail as well, with little droplets wetting his chubby face. It was as if our emotions synched with one another. Together, we cried.

We cried to moan Dianne's death.

But we also cried to celebrate this new beginning....

***

Btw I'm working on a sequel, featuring the baby's life growing up... Anyone interested?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.1K 473 47
After being diagnosed with cancer 17 year old Nadine Grace Morgan realizes her dream of being a dancer won't come true because she doesn't have long...
45.7K 1.1K 28
Violet, a 15 year old girl who just started her Freshman Year of high school, has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Lung Cancer. She has 3 years to live. W...
Survive 2 By

Romance

41 0 51
Madison has already understood that growing up is not easy. Now she will have to face her problems, with the help of the people she loves, and try to...
4.7K 141 30
Hope was just your average girl. She never wanted her sickness... She never truly believed in love... And now that she encounters more things in life...