Trying to Forget You

By FreshFictionFan

"I thought it was going to be easy. That I would find love again and it would be beautiful, it would be radia... More

Preface
Chapter One: Ocean Front Property
Chapter 2: Banana Pancakes
Chapter 3: We Are Never Ever Ever Getting Back Together
Chapter 4: The Monster Under My Bed
Chapter 5: I Knew You Were Trouble
Chapter 6: Make-up
Chapter 7: You're in love with...who?
Chapter 8: (Not so) Prince Charming
Chapter 9: Too Far Gone
Chapter 11: I'm broken...help!
Chapter 12: Shattered
Authors Annoucement
Chapter 13: Drunk Driving
Chapter 14: When You Say Nothing At All
Chapter 15: A Mother's Love
A.N. *Please Read*
Chapter 16: The Un-Invisible Man
Authors Annoucement
IM BACK BABY

Chapter 10: Numb emotions and desperate feelings

417 23 9
By FreshFictionFan

Ella's POV

I wake up to the sound of a buzzing phone around two the next morning.

Startled from a good nights sleep, I sit up and rub my eyes before grabbing for my phone.

10 missed calls

I quickly flip open the front of my phone and look to see who the caller was.

10 missed calls from Mrs. Andrews.

I feel my heart jump out of my chest, fear creeping into my brain. I feel a little worried, because Mrs. Andrews never calls me. And certainly not ten times in the middle of the night.

I quickly dial her number. Each ring feels like an eternity.

"Hello?" I answer meekly.

I hear her crying, sobbing over the phone. And it scares me even more, so much that I feel cold, icy shivers creep slowly down my spine.

"Ella," Mrs. Andrews sobs.

I don't answer her back, I only clutch the phone tighter to my ear.

"Mrs. Andrews?" I whisper, hoping she can hear me over her sobs. They are heart breaking.

"Ella," she mumbles, regaining her voice, "It's Jake and Noelle. They've been in a car accident."

I feel my heart skip a few beats, and my brain get's foggy. I jump up, holding the phone to my ear, and slip on whatever shoes I can find, which at the moment are snow-boots.

"Ella," Mrs. Andrews whispers gently through the phone, "Jake and Noelle aren't going to make it, sweetheart. You need to get here soon."

I stop in my tracks, right in the middle of the staircase. My heart drops, tears welling up in my eyes. My heart stops. And I am scared, because I don't feel it beat again. At least, not that I'm aware of.

No, this can't be happening. This is just a dream. Please let it be a dream.

I rush down the stairs and fling open the door and take off running down the sidewalk toward the hospital. I know it will be faster this way. Driving would take to long, to have to find a place to park and such, when my time is ticking slower. The clock won't stop, even as I yell into the night.

I scream and sob, "Stop! Please, Stop!"

But the clock doesn't listen. Seconds, minutes are passing. One, two, three...four.

Ella, Jake and Noelle aren't going to make it.

Her voice, her words, echo in my head. And it only scares me more. I want to wake up right now, I have to wake up. Please, let this be a dream.

But I know, deep inside, that it's not.

But I don't have time to cry, all I can do is think about getting there. Getting to Jake.

I finally reach the doors of the hospital and I open them quickly, slipping inside. I spot the woman at the front desk, so I make my way towards her. I stop in front of her desk and lean down with my hands on my knees and take deep breaths. I had literally been running for fifteen minutes.

"Ma'am, I am looking for the rooms of Jake and Noelle Andrews." I ask, heavily breathing.

"Are you a relative?" she questions.

I stand up and look into her eyes, "Yes, I am. So please let me in! I am running out of time!"

She looks at me sadly and then replies, "Rooms 219 and 220, miss."

I thank her and jog up the stairs, forgetting about the elevator. I sprint up the stairs until I reach the second floor. I slam open the hall door and run down the hallway. My boots stomp across the floor, echoing down the hallway, creating a loud thump with ever step I take. But for me, all I hear is silence.

My brain, is nothing but white darkness. My ears are deaf. I feel like I am moving in slow motion. And though I wanted to be here sooner, I now only feel like this is too fast. Any slower and I would be going too fast.

I finally reach the figure of Mrs. Andrews, leaning against the wall of Jake's door. I stop in front of her, my breathing not quite under control.

"Mrs. Andrews?" I whisper. I am afraid to touch her. Her face so pale, her eyes so dark. I wonder if with just one touch, she might break?

"Ella, he is barely holding on. He's inside." she sniffs, wiping her eyes. "Go to him. He wants you."

I am scared. Not just a little, but a lot. I am scared as hell, I am going out of my mind. I feel tears fall, but I don't even try to wipe them away. The light down the hallway goes dim. The darkness starts to feel like it's crushing me.

I open the door that reads 219. I walk inside, and I see his figure. Blood on the sheets, wiring in and out of his body, oxygen flowing into his chest, involuntarily.

I walk up to him, each sound of my footsteps, is one more time my heart has to remember to beat.

I reach him, and I look down at his face. So pale and blue, with only an ounce of color left. I fall onto his chest and I sob.

"Ella?" his weak voice asks.

I look over at him, and I cup his dying face.

"Yes?" I ask, looking into both of those green eyes. I am so scared. I will look into them as long as I can, because I'm scared that I won't ever be able to see them again. I am desperate, I can't lose him! I won't lose him!

"Ella," he whispers, grabbing a hold of my hand. I look at him and I smile. Because I want him to know, that he made me smile today. Just like he promised.

"I love you."

I smile again, crying. But I suck my tears back long enough to reply.

"I love you too Jake Andrews. I always have and I always will."

I kiss his lips, enjoying the last bit of bliss I can, for as long as time will allow. And I pull back, I look into his eyes. And I stare at him, every inch of his skin. And I take it in as if I was running out of oxygen for my lungs.

And he smiles at me, looking into my eyes and running his hands through my hair. And then he closes his eyes, slowly. So very slowly, as if by some force that is too strong for his weakend soul to fight back against.

And his face turns pale. The monitor, stops beating. And there is silence. I hold my hand up to my mouth and I cry. My body shakes and convulses with erupting sobs. I lean over and I kiss him once more on those precious lips.

" I will always love you. Always." I whisper and then I lay on his unmoving chest and I quietly let the tears roll down my cheeks. I can't feel anything anymore, I can't feel his breathing. And it makes me cry even harder.

All too soon, I feel someone place their hands on my shoulder. The lady in a white nurses outfit helps me off Jake and lead me to the door. But, I turn back. I look at his body, his chisled jaw and his closed eyes. My eyes shake because of my shivering body.

I turn around, knowing the next time I will see him, will be in a quilted black box.

I walk out of the room, and let the other doctors pass inside. I look down at the ground, and watch the tear drops splatter onto the floor. I can't feel my body, my fingers or my toes, but I can feel my heart as it slowly and painfully erupts into a million pieces.

I hear sobs, heart wrenching sobs. And for a moment I think they are mine. So I look up and see Noah.

Confused, I start to walk toward him. I stop in front of him, watching his tears fall down onto his jeans. He eventually looks up, and stares at me.

His eyes are red, water lining his bottom lids. Desperation, loss, hurt, all swim across his bright blue eyes. And ocean, I used to get lost in. I used to find comfort in.

And now I stand here in front of him again. Vulnerable, weak, and numb. All feelings, all emotions, all body parts, numb.

And so I do the last thing, I could have ever imagined.

I fall down into Noah's arms and I cry. And then he cries. And we sit there, in the middle of the hallway, on two chairs and cry until we have nothing left.

Because in all honesty, we don't.

I eventually pull away, wiping my eyes and look up at him. He's not Jake, he never will be.

Jake. My Jake.

I look up at Noah, and I shake my head. I shouldn't have done that, but I was hurting. I just wanted someone to tell me it was going to be okay.

Usually Jake did that. But Jake is gone.

I stand up and start to back away, feared to be touched by anybody other than my Jake. So with a broken heart and brain, I sprint down the hallway.

So...yeah. I'm pretty much sobbing right now. But, yeah. I'm sorry *cries* But don't give up on my book! This is just the start of something beautiful, I promise!

By the way, Happy Thanksgiving y'all! :) I am sorry this isn't edited, I will get to that soon!

Next update will be probably next week! Soon my lovely readers. Thanks for your support! Remember: VOTE/COMMENT/RECOMMEND! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3M 190K 44
When Charlotte agrees to fake date bad boy Mason to make her best friend and secret crush, Ben, jealous, she thinks it will be a simple arrangement...
388K 9.4K 30
Rebecca Thomas is new in town. She is cute, sweet and shy and hates being the center of attention. Everything seems fine before she starts her new sc...
246K 9.8K 54
"Theo. If I'm not mistaken? Isn't this yours?" He extended a hand, holding my penguin printed handkerchief. My eyes couldn't have gotten so wide. I q...
5.6K 99 23
When Ella Jones' twenty-first birthday ends with a bang - literally - she never imagined it would be with her best friend since freshman year, Ryan O...