Moonlight House (Book 2, Lons...

By moudenes

Moonlight House, the "it" place to eat, have a drink, dance to great live music and meet new people, becomes... More

Chapter 1 - The Club
Chapter 3 - Surprise
Chapter 4 - Flairtending
Chapter 5 - Roommates
Chapter 6 - Safe
Chapter 7 - Sommer
Chapter 8 - Glow
Chapter 9 - Chocolate
Chapter 10 - Damaged
Chapter 11 - Crush
Chapter 12 - Sous Chef
Chapter 13 - Imperfect
Chapter 14 - Tea
Chapter 15 - Key
Chapter 16 - Reasons
Chapter 17 - Compensation
Chapter 18 - Tried
Chapter 19 - Second Date
Chapter 20 - Sleep Talker
Chapter 21 - Red Blur
Chapter 22 - Birthday
Chapter 23 - Glass
Chapter 24 - Confessions
Chapter 25 - Dinner
Chapter 26 - Five
Chapter 27 - Grounded
Chapter 28 - Deli
Chapter 29 - Pink
Chapter 30 - Stitches
Chapter 31 - Back
Chapter 32 - Schedules
Chapter 33 - Movies
Chapter 34 - Truth
Chapter 35 - Next
Chapter 36 - Presents
Chapter 37 - (Un)Happy New Year
Chapter 38 - Flutters
Chapter 39 - Answers
Chapter 40 - Bed and Breakfast
Chapter 41 - Stars
Chapter 42 - Empanadas
Chapter 43 - Braveheart
Chapter 44 - Fifty
Moonlight House - The Playlist

Chapter 2 - Purple

7.2K 323 51
By moudenes

NOAH

Even before I can see her, I know Erin Sommer has arrived at the club. Her laughter reaches my ears and also the cute way she greets the people she knows. Whenever she enters a room, she fills it with her presence. People adore her because she's kind, caring and true to herself. The guys joke about my 'groupies', but the rest of the people in the club come to see Erin perform. The crowd parts as she walks in, the sign of a true rock star, and she stops along the way to kiss and hug people, wave at others.

"I know you are desperately in love with Erin, but I'm going to need those beers," Rory says next to me.

"Sorry," that's all I manage to say before handing him the glasses. Rory has always had a special sense when it comes to how people feel and me staring at Erin just proves him right.

"Will you ever tell her?"

"I don't think so. We have known each other forever and if we were meant to be more than friends it would have happened by now."

"I think you should get over with it and tell her. The worst that can happen is that she says she is not interested. Then at least you know and can move on instead of looking at her like a hopeful dog."

"That is easy for you to say 'cause you are her brother."

"I say this because I've seen you suffering in silence for long enough. My fear is that she will end up with a dick, like the last one she dated, who doesn't value her. She deserves a good guy and it could be you if you open your mouth instead of only staring at her."

Rory goes back to taking drink orders and I sigh. I have loved Erin since we were kids, but never dared to tell her. We share the same interests and it's why we started the band after finishing high school. Every minute we spend rehearsing or picking up the songs for our sets feels like heaven to me. We see each other five days a week, but every time I see her is like the first time. I'm so deep in this shit.

"And I'm here. Where's Imogen?" Erin asks while placing her purse behind the bar.

"Adam says she has a stomach bug. Hopefully she'll be okay soon. The place is packed tonight, so be ready to rock the crowd."

"I am ready."

Erin takes off her bandana and we hear a loud gasp behind us.

"What the hell did you do to your hair?" Adam asks wide-eyed.

"I had it dyed," she shrugs.

"It's... It's... Purple!" He looks so shocked it's hilarious.

"You are such a damn caveman! Me Adam, me no dye hair, me no pluck eyebrows, me no shave legs."

Sam, Rory and I can't stop laughing at Erin's gestures.

"But your hair is blonde, like mine and now it's... Purple..."

"Are you afraid we won't match anymore? Is that it? The last time I checked we are both 30 years old and we told Mom to stop matching our clothes when we were six."

Adam is speechless and Rory clutches his chest while laughing.

"I think it looks cool," Sam says with a happy smile.

"Thanks, babe. Going home? You look tired, poor you."

"Yeah, I'm really ready to go to bed. I'll see you later. Have a good show," he says and lets out a yawn.

I would feel jealous if it wasn't for the fact that Sam and Erin are best friends and roommates. She used to live with Adam until the day when she brought a date around and he got all grumpy and moody, kind of embarrassed her. At that time, Sam was looking for another place to live and suggested to Erin to live together, then the peace returned.

After Sam goes home, we continue our duties of helping around and socializing with the clubgoers. Our bandmates get on the stage and I realize it's almost show time.

"Almost ten," I say in Erin's ear and she squirms. Adam shoots me a warning look from the bar.

He thinks that because I enjoy flirting with the ladies at the club, that I will never take anyone seriously. Erin and he argue often, but he would protect her at any costs, even from me. If he only knew she's the only one I care about.

As I walk on the stage, I give a read to the songs in the set, even though I know the order by memory. Moon Rocks has seen many band members, but Erin and I have always been the constant. We play covers of party rock songs that the crowd adores and the room becomes a dancing and sing-along concert while we play.

Ten o'clock strikes and the lights at the bar get dimmed. Only the light globes on the walls are left on and the energy in the room is insane. I flash a smile to the ladies on the front row and they get all giggly.

The first guitar chords begin and the crowd cheers. Erin rocks a tambourine while I do my best to not stumble through my notes. She begins to sing 'Sweet Child O' Mine' by Guns N' Roses. The stage lights change colors and the people sway to the music. By the time we arrive at the first chorus, people are shouting the words with us. Our first set is a mix of college rock and some classics that we enjoy personally.

After the 45-minute show ends it's time to take a well-deserved break. Adam fitted a small area in the basement where we can sit down and refresh ourselves. The lights on the stage makes us feel warm and trying to give our patrons a good performance makes us sweaty and thirsty. I gladly take a beer from the tray Rory brings and down it like it is water. After the club closes, I need to bring Erin home, so that was the only one I can have. I take a seat on one of the couches and rub my achy legs, jumping on a small area isn't exactly good for my 30-year-old bones. Erin plops next to me with a glass of water.

"I know I say this pretty much every night, but I think we killed it out there. People looked genuinely disappointed when we said we would take a break."

"Hey Erin, I've been thinking about something. Well... About a bunch of things. We have been doing this for years and I really enjoy it, but wouldn't you like to play your own stuff? I know you still write, even if your notebook never makes it out of your purse."

"I... I don't know Noah. I'm comfortable with this. Why do we need to change it?"

"Because you are very talented and people should listen to your songs. Not just in a club, but out there."

"You have always believed in me, right?" She suddenly looks shy.

"Always will," I hold her hand and kiss it.

"What did I do to deserve a friend like you?"

A friend like me... Just a friend. I give her a smile and squeeze her hand softly, even though my disappointment is huge.

"I'm heading out. You coming too?" I stand up and motion for her to follow me.

Erin gets off the couch with a groan and joins me at the bar. The energy in the place has not diminished one bit. I scan the crowd and my gaze stops at a guy sitting at the end of the bar. His face is quite a contrast with what's going around.

"Everybody is in a good mood today," Erin scans the crowd in the same way I did.

"All but one," I motion with my head at the guy.

"He looks miserable. Let me have a chat with him," she walks towards the guy before I can say anything else.

She stands in front of him and offers her hand. I can even make out what she is saying: Hi, I'm Erin. The guy lifts his head and his eyebrows shoot up. Erin is beautiful, even with her crazy purple hair. He shakes her hand and says something back. She continues talking with him and he nods, answers, and even gives her a small smile.

Our break finishes and I head to the stage for our second set. Erin places a hand on the guy's shoulder in a comforting way and then comes to join us. Our set begins once more and in between, Erin charms the crowd with her little jokes and encourages even the stiffest people to move a bit.

"Dear Moonlight people, thank you as always for coming into our house and for all of your support. I have a special guest tonight. His name is Matthew and he is the absolutely gorgeous guy at the bar. Can I have a spotlight? Not on my brother Rory!" She says and Rory laughs while shaking a cocktail. "Yeah, that's him! Ladies, he is single!"

The guy looks totally shocked as one of our guys points a spotlight at him.

"Sweet Matt. Things will get better and this one is for you," she says

We start playing Pink's 'SoWhat' and Erin sings towards Matt. I get it now. He has been through a breakupand Erin waited until we reached the 'fuck you' song to dedicate it to him.When the song finishes, he gives Erin a grateful salute and she blows him akiss. And that's something I don't like.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.9K 2.5K 22
friendships & feelings.
48.1K 841 35
You work the night shift at your family Cafe. it's boring and you've always felt lonely, until someone special walks into your life and flips it upsi...
267K 5.1K 32
#1 in couple 08/20/23 #3 in college 07/12/23 #3 in college romance 07/06/23 #2 in spicy 07/24/23 Emily Caldwell was a normal girl, living with her be...
12.1K 307 37
All of her life, she thought to marry a romantic man who could take care of her till death and didn't care about wealth that much. A man which she co...