Lifeline

By ndallejoy

She clung to people. He ran from people. She was broken. He thought he could mend her. She lost a baby. ... More

Chapter 1; Stalker Ex
Chapter 2; It's Not a Date.
Chapter 3; Emily.
Chapter 4; My Hope.
Chapter 5; Thank you.
Chapter 6; Good night.
Chapter 7; Coffee Thingy.
Chapter 8; Friends.
Author's Note
Chapter 9; Meet the Chef.
Chapter 11; It's Official.
Chapter 12; Dad!
Chapter 13; Idina Menzel.
Chapter 14; Loss.
Chapter 15; Lie.
Chapter 16; Daddy?
Chapter 17; Pure Bliss.
Chapter 18; Love at First Sight.
Chapter 19; Not Exactly.
Chapter 20; Diamonds, Bills and Parents.
Chapter 21; Secrets.
Chapter 22; Christmas Wishes.
Chapter 23; Time.
Chapter 24; Gone.
Chapter 25; Pain.
Chapter 26; Lifeline.
Chapter 27; Breakdown.
Chapter 28; Thanksgiving.
Chapter 29; Forgive me yet?
Chapter 30; I have a Girlfriend.
Chapter 31; Christmas Eve.
Chapter 32; For real this time...
Chapter 33; Afternoon After.
Chapter 34; New Year in LA.
Chapter 35; The Police.
Chapter 36; The Therapist (Part 1)
Chapter 37; Olivia.
Chapter 38; Emily's Birthday.
Chapter 39; Meet the CEO.
Chapter 40; The Fiancée, Engaged?
Chapter 41; The Therapist(Part 2); Find your Parents.
Chapter 42; The Russells.
Chapter 43; Los Angeles.
Chapter 44; Warren King.
Chapter 45; Ethan's POV.
Chapter 46; Not Goodbye.
Chapter 47; I'm sorry.
Chapter 48; Baby.
Chapter 49; Marry me Again.
Chapter 50; Deal.
Chapter 51; Epilogue.
Author's Note...😭

Chapter 10; Meet Emily.

4.4K 248 34
By ndallejoy

"Die single but never beg for love." By Anonymous

KENDRA'S POV.
Emily and I had just been ready to get into the car when we were stopped by the Pastor after Service.

"Kendra, I heard what happened to Emily and I just wanted to let you know that the church is here. We're a family." Pastor Louis told me.

I looked down at Emily who wasn't paying the least bit attention to what we were saying but rather looking at the other kids playing around.

It hurt my heart that she couldn't join them but her health was of more importance.

I didn't realize a traitorous tear had slipped until Pastor Louis spoke again.

"It's gonna be okay, Kendra. Remember, God is watching over both you and Emily." He smiled.

"Thank you Pastor." I wiped the tear away. "The service was great by the way. Emily really enjoyed it."

"It's my job. Enjoy your Sunday dear and take care of Emily." Those were his parting words before pecking Emily's cheek and ushering her into her car seat.

Throughout the drive home, I couldn't help but ponder over Pastor Louis' words. If God was watching over us, why'd he let an angel like Emily suffer and why'd he take Belinda away.

"Mommy, can I have ice cream when we get home?" Said Emily interrupting my train of thoughts.

"Sure honey but only after you've eaten your lunch." I finished saying just as we got into the driveway.

"Promise." She chuckled while I helped her out of her car seat.

"Good. Now how about a movie before lunch?" I asked

Her smile was a good enough answer for me.

"Great. Come on, Princess Sophia the first isn't going to wait all day." I told her effectively increasing her pace to get there.

I smiled as I watched her go. I needed to make a decision fast. But for now, homeschool starts tomorrow.

~~~

I turned around to check the time and it was already 4:30pm.

I'd been on the phone with Liv for an hour now since Emily had been out like a light immediately after our ice cream.

The doctors did say she would be weak most times, so it didn't raise any alarms so far.

I'd been ranting about the options Kenna and the other doctors had suggested with Liv and I didn't realize time had passed so fast.

Ethan was to pick me up at 6pm to meet the chef that had prepared our dinner on Friday. I barely had time to get ready now.

"Ken, I suggest you discuss in better details the heart transplant options with Kenna and the other specialists. It seems the best way to go about this." Liv's voice rang loud in the space of my room.

I sighed.

I didn't want my baby going through a heart transplant, but everyone had said it seemed best.

My parents were still contemplating on all options but they seemed to talk about the transplant more.

"Liv, I'll speak to Kenna about it." She screamed. "Not tomorrow, but maybe sometime soon. I want Emily to fall back into routine before I remind her of her health issues again." I added.

"I'm glad you're considering it Ken. You know I only want the best for Em."

"I know Liv and I love you for that."

"Okay, so tell me about this Ethan guy..."

I laughed. "There's nothing to tell."

"Come on Ken, stop being selfish with the details. I can't believe I've never met the guy. Please tell me he's good looking??" I could hear the pleading in her voice.

"Liv, he's..." I closed my eyes and tried to visualize Ethan as though he were in front of me. I didn't realize Liv had been waiting for me to speak as my mind went places.

"Ooooooooh... He's got to be better than Chris Hemsworth if you're short of words to describe him." She stated.

"Way better Liv. Waaaaay better." I told her.

She laughed. That full throated laugh.

I couldn't believe my cheeks were getting warm because of this.

"Okay, sorry..." She chuckled "sorry, Ken just give me a minute."

"Yeah go ahead, it's not like I have somewhere to be and haven't prepared at all." I muttered sarcastically while rolling my eyes.

That sobered her up.

"Sorry Ken, anyway he's picking you up and taking you to the restaurant right?"

"Yeah"

"On a serious note Ken, do you think there's a future with this guy? I don't want you to get hurt." She said in her serious motherly voice.

"I don't know Liv. I mean I'm attracted to him, it's just with all what's going on with Emily I don't think I can handle a relationship." I said sadly.

"Shut up right there. You've dedicated 3 years of your life to Em. She and I both know it's time you did something for yourself. I know Luke messed you up, but if there's even a shot of happiness with this Ethan guy, I speak for Em and myself when I say you should take it."

I smiled. This is why she was my best friend.

"Thanks Liv. Say hi to Dan okay. I better get ready."

"Sure thing babe. Dan went to get some whipped cream, he'll be back soon."

"TMI Liv. Gosh, do I even want to know what he's gonna do with it?"

She chuckled. "Let's just say, he's going to be doing lots of licking tonight..."

"Ew... Good bye Liv." She laughed till I ended the call. Had I not, I would've been on the receiving end of some very explicit things which could be done to some body parts you don't wanna know.

~~~
By the time I'd heard the door bell, I was fully dressed and had spoken with Emily's nannies since she was still asleep.

"Wow..." Ethan said as I opened the door. "You look... Wow..." He shook his head.

My cheeks and neck were already a bright shade of crimson.

"Thanks. You look good too." In all honesty he did. He looked like he'd just had a shower evident from his damp hair, he had on dress pants and his crisp white shirt had been rolled at the elbows. In short, he looked too beautiful to be real. Is that even normal?

As for me, I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary. I'd let my straight black hair down and had on minimal makeup since Liv usually took care of that. I'd put on denim jeans and a cami top under my flannel. I also switched my heels for high tops. I didn't really see the WOW factor in my choice of outfit. He did say to dress casual after all.

"We better get going. The chef's waiting." He said and proceeded to open the passenger door of his car for me.

I muttered a thanks in return and got in.

It didn't pass my attention how his car was one which had been released not less than six months ago by a Philippino-American automobile company. It probably caused a fortune. I made a mental note to ask what he did before the night ended.

The drive was smooth, short and filled with silence.

It seemed we were at a restaurant but from what I saw, we were going through the back. Courtesy of the private car park we were currently in.

"We're going through the back?" I asked immediately he opened my door. I hadn't been able to see the name of the restaurant yet.

"Well, we'll be with the chef in the kitchen, so the back entrance seemed the best idea." He said.

I was shocked. I was going to be in the kitchen with an actual chef!! Wow!

He had a hand on my waist as we walked to the door labelled "STAFF ONLY."

Once he opened the door, the guard simply nodded at Ethan and muttering a "Sir," before leading us to the kitchen.

What was strange was that, the kitchen was completely empty. Not even a single soul. The only thing in sight were appliances and ingredients of what seemed like pasta. It resembled Hell's kitchen in here and I couldn't help think of a dream come true.

"Where's the chef?" I turned to look at Ethan after the shock had died down.

A moment of silence passed before he spoke again.

"You're looking at him." He stated.

My jaw dropped. It couldn't possibly go down any further.

"You? You're the chef? You were the one who cooked on Friday? Are you serious?" The questions flew out before I could stop them.

"Yes." Was all he said.

"Wow!"

"We had better get to it then. We have some pasta to prepare." He smiled and made his way towards the ingredients.

He made cooking look awesome. The way his hands were apt and the way he brushed his hair off when it got in his face was really hot.

Long story short, we both prepared an amazing dish, made jokes, learnt more about each other and ate the amazing dinner.

Contrary to my thoughts, Ethan really knew his way about the kitchen.

I'd learnt he had a degree in culinary arts too. But he'd dropped the dream to become the Manager of Human Resources at Veron Enterprises.

That explained how he got the car. Veron Enterprises was the biggest chain of businesses here in New York. Their CEO Ethan Veron, was said to be a young and ambitious man. I'd never met him in person but would soon have to.

The hospital was working on a new project in which Veron Enterprises was investing in. I didn't tell Ethan though, it didn't seem important at the time.

We were currently parked in my driveway and talking.

"So, doesn't it get confusing at work since both you and your boss have the same name?" I asked.

He looked tense before he spoke but I made nothing of it.

"Not really. We work on different floors." He smiled, "can we not talk about work again, we're already in the office 5 days out of 7, let's give it a rest." He added.

I laughed. He was right. But I had one more important question I had to ask before the night ended.

"Why are you doing all this?" I tilted my head to the side, "the dinner on Friday and now this?" I clarified when he creased his brows.

He smiled, "You did say we were friends right? I'm just having fun with a friend."

Bullshit!! And I called him out on it.

"Fine. Kendra, I think I like you and I just want to see where this goes." He ran his hands through his hair as he spoke and looked me in the eye. He looked nervous. I smiled.

"Me too." I replied and stepped out of the car.

He was quick to follow behind.

"What?"

I turned to face him and braced myself. "I also want to see where this goes." I smiled.

His smile was even brighter than mine if that was possible.

"Yes!" He shouted before engulfing me in a body crushing hug. I was giggling uncontrollably.

I felt like a high school girl all over again. My tummy was filled with butterflies and the sparks where his body came in contact with mine were becoming too much to handle.

"Can I kiss you?" He asked.

Yes!!! I wanted to say. But I didn't.

"You can, but only after you know something." I disentangled my body from his.

Right on cue, the front door opened and Emily burst through with a little shout.

"Mommy! You're back." She hugged my legs. I smiled and kissed her on her cheeks.

I turned to look at Ethan shellshocked before bending down and speaking to Emily again.

"Yes sweetheart, I'm back and I missed you. I want you to  meet someone." I smiled and stood up.

I put her infront of me before looking at him in his eyes and speaking again.

"Ethan, meet Emily. My daughter."

Hey guys, we've reached 450 reads already. I can't mention how grateful I am...

Please, make sure to vote. Love you guys so much...

Joy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 2.2K 11
" I am pregnant," I said timidly caressing my flat belly hoping that he will be happy hearing the news. After all, he is going to be a father. He sai...
5.4M 153K 42
"Say something, anything. Tell me they're lies, that what we have is real. Tell me you love me, Liam." I sobbed. I waited for him to say something, b...
1M 24.5K 43
"I am pregnant, " I say looking into his eyes intensely but his face is emotionless. "what? " he asks stunned, he paces around for a few minutes "I...
1.5M 48.2K 53
"Are you done staring at me?" He asked and she blushed then looked away. She wanted to walk away so bad but she was scared that Ethan might kill her...