How To Be A Queen (Myths Find...

By AerithSage

What if Hades never met Persephone? What if he has been alone for millennia now, lonely and ruling the underw... More

Author's Note
Prologue
Chapter 2 - Dreaming of You
Chapter 3 - Such is Life
Chapter 4 - Eighteen
Chapter 5 - Aphrodite
Chapter 6 - Death Comes Swiftly
Chapter 7 - A Second Chance
Chapter 8 - Creepy New Friends
Chapter 9 - Immortal Danger
Chapter 10 - This is Real
Chapter 11 - The Locket
Chapter 12 - Nothing But A Pawn
Chapter 13 - Meet Me Halfway
Chapter 14 - One Giant Spider
Chapter 15 - Two Steps Back
Chapter 16 - One Step Forward

Chapter 1 - A Ray of Hope

639K 22.4K 8.4K
By AerithSage

***ADVANCED CHAPTERS AVAILABLE ON INKITT. Right now (March 22, 2018), there are already 17 chapters up on Inkitt for FREE. 

Please read there if you want more chapters. Next update here on Wattpad will be on: March 29 (GMT + 8) ***

CHAPTER 1- A RAY OF HOPE

The Master's Bedroom
Hades' Palace
The Underworld

-Hades-

I stirred and stretched my heavy limbs.

I took several deep breaths and the sleep was chased away from my body. How long was I asleep this time? A decade? A century? A millennia?

For one who lives forever, time is inconsequential. For one who lives forever but is alone, time drags on. And so I sleep.

I turned around on the massive bed and my palms encountered empty space and cold sheets. A sigh escaped my lips as I opened my palm and grabbed the soft sheets. They bunched into my fingers and I had this sudden urge to rip them apart.

My bed is large but I am the only one in it. This was just how it has been. And I think this is how it shall be for all eternity.

During times like these, I wish that this sense of loneliness would be eased from me. Sometimes, I wish that I would not wake up to an empty bed but to the feeling of warm flesh wrapped around me. Warm eyes would stare at me and then a beautiful face would smile up at me sweetly. I would smile back and gather her in my arms. Hug her tight and thank her for chasing away the gloom in my heart.

But no... This is not how things are. This is not how things will be. I am just deluding myself and wishing for things that will never be mine.

I opened my eyes and was greeted by the magnificence of my room. Of course, I wanted the best for myself. My palace is beautiful! More beautiful even than Olympus. But what good is that when it's only I, the servants, and those who have already died can see its magnificence?

I stood up and rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I sat on the edge of the bed and my bare feet met the soft, plush dark blue carpet. Every luxury I want is here. I am the god of riches after all. Everything under the soil belongs to me: the diamonds, sapphires, rubies and other precious metals. All of them are mine. I would not settle for anything less than pure magnificence.

And this is evidenced by the fact that my room is decorated with gold, platinum and other metals. Various colored gemstones were placed as designs on the poster of my bed, the walls, and on the ceiling where it served as a chandelier.

The chandelier was made of diamonds. It scattered the light and its beauty chased away some of the gloom.

I stood up and made my way to the bathroom. The servants have already prepared a steaming bath for me. A small, shallow pool dominated the middle of the room. I removed my clothing and stepped into the water. The warm water soothed away the stiffness in my muscles making me sigh in bliss. I sat on one of the raised steps in the pool and the water reached just below my chin. A cold metal rail propped my head up and I leaned back into it.

How nice would it be if someone was here to share this luxury with me?

How would it feel like to have someone wash my back? How would it feel like if I washed hers? How would it feel like to hold my queen's hand in mine as we savor this bath together? We could sit here and talk about what we would do for the day. And during the night, when the day has been tough, I could sit here again with my queen and tell her all the hardships I encountered in running my kingdom. She'd take away all my aches and pains and listen to me.

And then when I'm done speaking, she'd offer me her wise advice. Because that was how I wanted to rule – with her by my side, as equals.

But, no. Those things weren't for me.

The allure of the water wore off and I hurried through the rest of my bath. I grabbed a nearby towel and dried myself. I gathered my usual black clothes and shoes from the closet. After dressing, I went to the dining hall.

Again, magnificence greeted me as I stepped foot in the majestic dining hall. A long table stood in the center of it and it was already laden with food. Aside from having a beautiful castle, I prided myself on having excellent servants.

"Too much food for one man." I muttered to myself and then released a long, deep sigh.

Servants were situated at the corners of the dining room while I ate my breakfast alone This is my routine for millennia now but why did it feel as if this day was suddenly different? Why did this day feel lonelier than the rest?

My appetite deserted me and I got up and then walked towards the throne room where I held court almost every day of the week. I sat upon my throne of gold and platinum and then a hushed silence fell over the crowd of shades who were all waiting for me.

The throne room was the largest and most magnificent room in all of my castle. A much larger chandelier made of diamonds was the centerpiece of the room. Each corner was decorated with black marble sculptures of every shape and size. A red carpet ran along the doors and then towards the throne. Guards stood on every side of the room. They wore armor made of the finest metals underneath the earth. Their armors were polished and the delicate sheen added to the glow of the room

I leaned back on my throne and prepared myself for another day's work.

I am the ruler of the Underworld. This is my realm. My word here is law.

There were three judges in my employ: Minos, Rhadamanthys and Aiakos.

They are the ones who judged these shades whether they deserved punishment in Tartarus or an afterlife in the Fields of Elysium, or in the Isles of the Blest.

Then again, there were special cases. For those special cases, it was I who was called to judge. Whenever a shade has committed a wrong so grave that the three judges couldn't dish out a punishment for that shade, it was I who took over and decided its fate.

I glanced around the room and took in the shades that knelt before me. Not all shades here came to be judged. Some of them come because they had petitions of their own. Some come to ask me to bless the loved ones they left behind. Some come to ask me if they could share their afterlife with their families who have already passed away too.

The day passed by in a blur as I did my job as King of the Underworld. I was known to be a fair and just god. I did everything in my power to maintain that reputation. Truly, I did not want any shade to suffer unduly or anyone who deserved punishment to escape.

Aside from my duties to make sure everything about shades and their afterlife ran smoothly, I have another important duty. I, alone, hold the key to the doors of Tartarus, the worst punishment anyone can ever receive. Tartarus is also where monsters and Titans are imprisoned. My duty is to guard the prisons of Tartarus, the deepest, darkest part of it which holds the Titans. My brothers, along with me, imprisoned them there so they cannot wreak havoc on the world. And it is up to me to make sure that the magic holding them within those prisons are still intact.

When the hours for court were finished, I stood up from my throne and went towards the stables where my four black steeds were waiting for me. I chose only one of them this time and then quickly saddled it. I wanted to crush away the loneliness I felt and that happened only when I was riding my great black stallions at break-neck speed.

With fluid grace, I jumped into the saddle and then quickly urged the horse into a gallop. We passed by the palace gates and continued running towards the Hall of Judgment where the shades of the newly dead stood waiting for their chance to be judged. Cerberus, the three-headed guardian of the Underworld stood in front of the hall where Charon, the ferryman, ferried the new shades.

Cerberus growled when he saw the frightened new shades and he quickly pounced when one of them tried to run away. His powerful jaws quickly snapped the shade in two and blood and flesh scattered everywhere. Screams so loud echoed across the hall and then quickly died down as the shade reformed into whole again. Within a few seconds, he looked like how he was before Cerberus jaws scattered his flesh around.

Cerberus barked at the shade in warning and the unfortunate shade cowered in fear. It was a good thing he did not run away again this time for things would just get bloody once more. If there's one thing I know about my beloved pet, it was that he loved a good chase.

When all the shades entered the Hall of Judgement and only Cerberus stood outside, I removed my Helm of Invisibility and showed myself. Cerberus' ears instantly perked up and he bounded towards me, wagging his tail excitedly. I patted his large fluffy head and instantly, an overwhelming change came upon him. The rigidness in his body vanished and he stuck his tongue out and panted. He dropped to the ground and placed his head above his massive paws as he licked my hand.

"Good boy," I murmured and continued stroking Cerberus' black fur. Some of my loneliness eased at having him near. I made sure Cerberus was watching me and then made the motion of reaching into my pocket. His head was instantly raised and he was alert once more. I summoned my magic and thought of creating a ball that was twice the size of my head. The ball appeared into my hands and Cerberus began circling me excitedly. I laughed and then threw the ball as far as I could.

In the blink of an eye, Cerberus was gone as he chased after the ball. He returned it to me a few moments later and I scratched his belly and then threw the ball again. We played contentedly like this for a few moments more.

Suddenly, my most trusted servant, Leandro appeared in front of me. "Your highness, the oracle of Delphi awaits you at the throne room."

My brows rose. This was the first time an oracle of Delphi has visited me. It was the first time that any of them dared enter my realm and deigned to speak to me. What could have brought on this visit? Did Apollo send me his oracle to deliver a message?

I was very curious so I instantly mounted my horse and urged him to run as fast as he could back to the palace. I arrived at the throne room and was greeted by the oracle who quickly shot to her feet the moment that she saw me.

"Your Highness," she greeted, executing a low bow.

"What is it?" I snapped, anxious to hear the prophecy or whatever news the oracle brought with her. "Skip with the formalities," I added as she rose from her curtsy.

"I saw your bride, your queen," the oracle said. Instantly, every muscle in my body tensed. My eyes widened in surprise and then burned like fire that was endlessly present in the pits of Tartarus.

I vanished and reappeared before her, clutching her neck. "If this is a joke, I assure you it is not funny. Who sent you?" I growled. The Oracle took a step back but she shook her head. She tried to pry my hands away from her skin but I was much stronger.

"Choose your next words carefully, Oracle."

Her eyes widened and she swallowed before she spoke to me again.
"Hades... I assure you. This is not a joke. I've seen it in a vision the moment she was created by the Fates. She is their daughter, created to be a ruler of this realm. She is the one destined to be your Queen," the oracle answered quickly.

I let go of her neck and she breathed deep, clutching her neck.

A Queen? Someone made especially for me? It all sounded to good to be true. Could I dare allow myself to hope for such a thing?

"Where is she?" I asked breathlessly.

"She was born yesterday. I cannot reveal her location to you now. When she is of age, she will come to this realm. I've foreseen it."

"Why can't you tell me where she is? She is out there vulnerable in the land of mortals! I could keep her in a safe place until she is of age!" I roared.

The oracle shook her head. "She is safer in the mortal realm: safe from your enemies and from the interference of the other Gods and Goddesses themselves. The Fates want her to live a mortal life so that she could learn everything she needs. This is what is fated, Hades. Even a god such as you cannot tamper with fate," the oracle declared.

My fists clenched in frustration and anger. "Why tell me of her and then forbid me from finding her?" I spat.

The Oracle took a step back but in fear. "I know how close you are to succumbing to the loneliness, Hades. I've seen your pain and the longing in your heart. I know that you seek to find a way to end this torment of eternal loneliness. I came here of my own decision to give you hope," she whispered.

I looked into her eyes, searching for signs that she was telling a lie. There was none.

"Do not succumb to the darkness just yet. You will have everything you wished for... soon."

Some of the rage left my body and I closed my eyes as I willed myself to be calm and to have more patience. Also, for the first time in a long time, I had hope.

For a long time, I have considered giving over the control of the Underworld to Thanatos, the god of Death. I've been searching of a way on how to end this immortal existence; if there was none, perhaps sleep for the rest of time. And that was how I envisioned simply fading away.

"Is that all?" I asked the Oracle.

She nodded. "Thank you," I whispered. I summoned my power and waved my hand. A black mist surrounded her and when it dissipated, she was gone. I sent her back to her temple in the mortal realm.

I sat on my throne and braced my forearms on the armrests. In the span of a few minutes, my entire life has been turned upside down. I no longer want to fade away from this world because now I had hope.

"My queen shall be here soon..." I announced to the empty throne room. While my words echoed around the dark room, I felt pride and a fierce sense of excitement go through my entire body. These were emotions I have not felt in a long time.

"Soon." I repeated. 

********************************************

PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT!

Date posted: March 22, 2018 (GMT + 8)

Next update here on Wattpad: March 29, 2018

Chapters already available on Inkitt as of today: 18

Inkitt Link: https://inkitt.app.link/RA_AerithSage (also on external link)

Next update on Inkitt: as soon as I finish writing the next chapter, I post it right away so no update schedule here. I try to update 2 to 3 times a week and more if I have time. Again, if you want to read further, please just go there. I placed the link to my profile as external link.

Twitter: AerithSage

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 343 37
Isolation can be devastating. But love...can destroy everything around you. For Persephone, isolation is being kept under the suffocating gaze of h...
43K 1.7K 54
What if mythology isn't a myth? Callie Prescott has the rest of her life planned out: get into med school, become a heart surgeon, and heal the world...
4.1K 210 37
Love is different for everyone Humans find love in the simple things, such as afternoon strolls, weddings and sunset kisses Waiting for their other...
34K 1.1K 35
"Kiss me." He whispers. "I-I don't know how...I've never done this before." I frantically whisper and tilt my head. My nose slightly brushes again...