The Law of Destiny

By Zuu_47

Many people believe in the existence of Destiny, a mysterious force which binds certain people together, dete... More

Surprise
Meetings
Spellbind
Complications
Fate or Coincidence
Bathtub
Extraordinary
Wish
Doubts
Elixirs
Belleteyn
Kaer Morhen
Dinner
Legend
Research
Truth
Pain
Grief
After
Decisions
Bittersweet
Destiny
Prophecy
Help
Dear Friend
Rain after Storm
Child of Surprise
Training
Honesty
Elder Blood
Banquet
Treason
Together
United

The Witcher

5.1K 44 13
By Zuu_47

TEMERIA - 1271

It was almost a midnight. Geralt was laying on the grass. He was alone and trying to meditate but he somehow couldn't focus on that. He heard how Roach made some noise but he didn't care about it.
A couple more minutes later he heard another noise. This time it wasn't Roach. He slowly straightened himself and stood up. With his cat eyes, the ability which he got after the Trial of Grasses, he could see in the dark. His medallion started shaking. Geralt was sure there is something behind the tree. He knew that stay in the forest at night was dangerous but he didn't have a choice, he couldn't travel the whole day. Geralt was waiting, he already knew it was a monster. He could also tell it by hers smell. He slowly took his silver sword from the grass. After couple of seconds the monster showed up herself and Geralt finally saw her. It was a Vlkodlak. This monster was clever, fast and also almost two meters high wolf whom could kill Geralt with one exact blow.
Geralt knew it would be good to use some elixir before the fight but right now, it was too late. Vlkodlak stopped walking because he spotted Geralt. It was obvious the monster was a little bit surprised that he found him, because ordinary people doesn't go to the forest at all, not to mention at night. Geralt was a Witcher, the professional killer of the monsters but the monster didn't know that. Vlkodlak has only met villagers before whom he has killed very easily. But the monster also didn't know that this could be her last night on this world.
Geralt didn't want to wait anymore, he wanted to use his little advantage. He took a deep breath and then he started running towards the monster. He surprised the beast with his fast attack on his neck but Vlkodlak was faster as Geralt's sword and he just easily jumped away from the deadly silver. Then the beast attacked first.

The fight was long. Geralt started feeling more tired. His reflexes started to be slower but he was not ready to die today. He was feeling how his adrenaline was working on hundred percent as his anger. Vlkodlak jumped on the witcher but Geralt managed to jump away, but at this moment he felt how the beast's claws hit his back. Suddenly he felt horrible pain and sighed painfully. Then he took all his power to turned around, he jumped closer to Vlkodlak and he finally hit his neck. The monster made a painful scream and fell down dead to the ground.
Geralt was glad it's over. It was very strong and difficult fight. The adrenaline started slowly disappearing and he started feeling the pain on his back more than before.
"Fuck. These wounds will heal for weeks.." he sighed. He started looking for Roach but he couldn't see him anywhere.
"I should rather find him before I'll get the infection." he said for himself.
After couple more minutes later, Geralt finally found Roach hiding behind the trees. He packed all his things, he took Vlkodlak's head, maybe he will get some coins for his head later and then he continued on his road to find some place where he could heal his wounds in peace.

FOXHOLE - Temeria

Foxhole was an Inn near the town Wyzima. It was very famous place because of Gwent - game with cards. Lot of people came here to play game with the best Gwent players from the whole continent. Geralt entered inside the inn. He was travelling at least two hours and he was feeling a strong pain in his whole body. Normal human would be already dead but his organism was behaving differently. He could slowdown the infection because of mutations. He knew it wasn't very good idea to stay here. He hated places like this. Everywhere was a lot of people and everybody was already judging him. But he really didn't have any choice, he had to stop here if he wanted to survive.
'The Butcher of Blaviken', this was his new nickname which he got after the massacre in Blaviken. People again misunderstood the whole situation, he just wanted to save the town. He always wants the lesser evil. But unfortunately, the evil is always the same. It doesn't matter if he wants to help or save people, in their eyes he will always be the mutant.

It was couple of hours after midnight but the Foxhale was still full of people. He noticed Temerian soldiers standing close to the bar, then dwarfs how they were playing the Gwent. Some elfs were sitting in the corner and group of people were sleeping drunk on the table and of course, the pub was full of prostitutes too. The music playing by bards was so loud but at least not so annoying. He really hated annoying bards.
Geralt was wearing black hood, no one couldn't see who he was, but he was feeling all the looks at him while he was walking towards the bar.
"Do you have a free room?" he asked innkeeper with his deep voice.
"No, we don't. Everything is full." the innkeeper answered without emotions.
"Do you really don't have any free rooms or the rooms are already full because of me?" Geralt said sarcastically.
"Do not think I didn't recognize you. I know who you are mutant." the innkeeper said with disgust. "People may don't know you with that hood on your head but I'm not stupid, I can see your eyes. I don't want anybody of your kind in my Inn. So, go to the hell witcher!" the innkeeper said angrily.
"Hmm.." Geralt sighed. "Look, I can sleep anywhere, just let me stay here. I will pay you." he told him calmly.
"Am I talking like a fucking moron?! I said no. Get out of my Inn mutant before I will call the soldiers on you!" the innkeeper was almost yelling at him. Geralt didn't wait any longer, he just turned around and he started walking towards the door. He wasn't angry. He knew that everybody hates him. It would be a miracle if the innkeeper gave him the room.

His mind was racing. He had to figure it out where he could rest. He needed to find a peaceful place and treat his wounds but he couldn't stay outside.
"Hey, you!" someone shouted at him. Geralt stopped walking. He turned around.
"Yes, you... I was sitting near the bar and I heard your lovely conversation with the innkeeper. Is it true what he said? Are you.. the real witcher?" the man asked him.
"No, I'm just a fairy looking like a witcher.." Geralt said ironically. "What do you want?" he frowned.
"Oh.. this is impossible!" the man said with excitement. "I always wanted to meet at least the one witcher in my life. Is it true that you.." Geralt interrupted him.
"I really don't have time for this.." Geralt rolled his eyes, then he started walking away from the man.
"Wait! Please! I.. I could give you my room." the man was trying to get his attention back. Geralt turned back to him.
"You would sleep on the floor because there is only one bed, which is mine, but at least you'll have the room." the man was trying to smile but when he saw Geralt's eyes, his smile immediately disappeared.
"All right, where is the room? I need to go there now." Geralt started to be impatient.
The man almost stopped breathing when the witcher said yes. But the man didn't know if it was from the happiness that he won't be alone at night or if it was from the fear that he maybe won't see the sun again. The man didn't want to think about this possible future, so he quickly came back from his thoughts to the reality.
"This way up stairs, follow me." the man told him calmly.

The man was sitting to the table in the room and watching him. The witcher was preparing some elixirs. When Geralt entered into the room, he noticed the big lute in the corner and colorful clothes laying on the floor. He quickly realized that the man is the bard. But the worst thing about it was that he was really annoying bard. He really couldn't ask for better company.
After couple of minutes the bard interrupted the quiet in the room.
"So.. my name is Julian Alfred Pankratz Viscount de Lettenhove, in short version, it's just Jaskier." he smiled at Geralt. "What's yours?" the bard asked him.
"Geralt." the witcher said calmly.
"Just Geralt? No title, no lord, no nickname?" the bard was curious.
"Geralt of Rivia, if you wanted to hear it in this way.." the witcher faked his smile.
"So, then tell me Geralt, what are you doing here? This isn't the place where witchers usually go.." Jaskier laughed a bit. But when he saw Geralt's angry face, he wished he could take his words back.
"I have to heal my wounds after the fight. I couldn't stay outside." Geralt answered calmly. He then started putting off his armor. When he lifted his right arm he made a painful sigh.
"Oh.. that don't look very good.. It seems it's already infected.." Jaskier told him honestly.
"Yeah.. I can feel it.." Geralt said sarcastically and he continued in preparing his elixirs.

When the witcher finished with the preparation, he grabbed one of the elixirs and he drank it. He then looked at the bard.
"Listen.. Jaskier or what the fuck is your name. I will sleep couple of hours, maybe days, but I'll also have a hallucinations, maybe I'll scream sometimes. But if you like your life, then do not touch me. I won't control myself. Do you understand?" Geralt was serious.
"I think I understand, but.." the bard didn't finish the sentence.
"Jaskier! I'm not kidding, this is serious. Lock the door and do not open it to anyone." Geralt told him strictly. Suddenly he started feeling effect of the elixir and he fell down to the floor unconscious. Jaskier got scared at that moment. He didn't know what to do now. He rather stood up and them he went to lock the door.

Geralt was unconscious almost two days. Jaskier always came to check him if Geralt woke up. He was trying to do something to help him because he was shaking and screaming, but nothing was working. He wanted to help his new friend even if Geralt still didn't know that he has a new friend.
Meanwhile, Jaskier was singing with musicians the whole days. He needed some coins.

It was almost midnight when Geralt finally woke up.
"Geraalt.. you're alive." Jaskier come closer to him. "How are you feelin.." he was trying to touch Geralt but at this moment Geralt caught him and he pushed him to the floor. Geralt was ready to hit his face.
"Waiiit!! It's me, Jaskier!" the bard screamed at him. Geralt then realized that he somehow knew this stupid face and he moved away from him.
"Jaskier?.. What happened?" Geralt was confused.
"I thought you will die. You were unconscious and you looked very horrible, but.. I'm glad you're alive my friend." Jaskier smiled at him. Geralt ignored the fact that he called him his friend.
"How long I was unconscious?" the witcher started to be irritated.
"Almost two days.." Jaskier answered.
"Hmm.." Geralt slowly stood up. "How looks my wounds? I cannot see them." he turned his back to Jaskier.
"It looks better. The infection disappeared." Jaskier said with excitement.
Geralt didn't say anything and then he started packing his things.
"Wait, what are you doing?" Jaskier was confused.
"I'm leaving.." Geralt answered without emotions and he grabbed his armor.
"But.. you just woke up. I thought.." Geralt interrupted him.
"What? What the hell you were thinking Jaskier? That we'll be the best friends now? That I'll be grateful and kissing your hands?" Geralt said angrily but then he continued more calmly.
"You don't know me.. I'm a mutant. I don't have any friends and I work alone. Just take my money for the room and forget about me." Geralt told him honestly. He then turned around, he grabbed his things and he left from the room.
Jaskier was standing there speechless. He was confused. He didn't expect this from Geralt. But he was not ready to give up. Maybe he didn't know too much about him yet, but he already knew that he has a good heart. He then packed all his things and left from the room too.

Geralt was sitting on Roach and he was ready to leave. He still felt the pain on his back but he couldn't stay here anymore. The people may notice him and he didn't want to have another problems. For the last time he looked at Foxhole, then he left.
He wasn't too far from the Inn when he heard him.
"Geraaalt!" Jaskier was shouting at him. "Please wait!" he was running towards Geralt.
Geralt was still riding, he didn't want to stop but after couple of seconds he decided to stop. He sighed.
"What?" the witcher asked Jaskier when he came to him.
"Wait a minute please.. I need to catch my breath first." Jaskier put his hands on his knees and took a deep breath. Then he looked at Geralt again.
"Well.. I know I'm very annoying and that I can't close my mouth at least for one minute.. but we don't have to be friends if you don't want to. Maybe later we could be friends..." Jaskier looked at him. Geralt raised his eyebrow.
"Okay, maybe never.. but we could be at least a partners. You will kill monsters to earn coins and I'll write poetry and stories about you. Then I'll sing it anywhere we'll go and I will be the famous bard in the whole continent.." Jaskier said proudly and he started thinking about everything what he just said. Geralt was waiting. Jaskier then realized.
"Oh.. and you, of course, I'll make you the famous witcher in the history. The White Wolf, the best monster slayer in the world.." Jaskier was trying to smile.
"That's all?" the witcher narrowed his eyes at the bard.
"Ahm.. yes." Jaskier swallowed. He was a little bit afraid what will Geralt say next.
"I think, I don't have any choice because you'll never stop following me. Am I right? " Geralt said calmly.
"Yes, you're absolutely right. So.. that means I can go with you?" Jaskier was so excited. Geralt said nothing and he carried on in the ride.
"But I thought.." Jaskier was confused.
"Please Jaskier, stop thinking finally and just go. The journey will be long.." Geralt laughed a bit for the first time and he was waiting on him when he'll realize it.
"Oh.. thank you Geralt! You're not so boring like I thought.." the bard said with laughing. Geralt didn't answered on this comment.
"So, where are we going?" Jaskier was already curious.
"I don't know, somewhere.." Geralt was thinking. "Somewhere, where the path will lead us.." he said thoughtfully.

After couple hours of travelling later.
"Geralt..?" the bard asked him.
"What?" Geralt looked at him.
"I think, I have some words for my new ballad." Jaskier smiled.
"What words?" the witcher started losing his patience.
"What do you think about.." then the bard started singing:

"Toss a coin to your Witcher, O' valley of plentyy..." the bard was so proud of himself.

Geralt sighed and then he started riding little bit faster because he didn't want to listen to him. The bard then started singing even louder..

THE END: Chapter 1

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 93 27
The story continues after Geralt's and Yennefer's wedding 7 years later. Their lifestyle has changed which means nothing will be the same than before...
1.3K 32 12
"The girl in the woods is your destiny, she will unleash a power so great that it will shape the world as we know it. Your heart will split two ways...
3 0 2
Destiny is a strange thing. It changes as the wind or the tides. In its infinite bizarreness, destiny saw fit to irreversibly link the Witcher Geralt...
24.1K 658 21
Geralt of Rivia comes across a small town with a bit of a monster problem. But when things go horribly wrong he comes across a woman who was supposed...