The Emerald Thief - Merlin BB...

By The3meraldQueen

[1/3] Edythe - BBC Merlin Series Edythe has run for her whole life, living in a constant loop of never belong... More

Disclaimers
Playlist
Prologue
Chapter 1: Misfortune
Chapter 2: Company of Knights
Chapter 3: My Game
Chapter 4: You Can Run
Chapter 5: Condemned
Chapter 6: Cellmates
Chapter 7: Allies?
Chapter 8: To The Rescue
Chapter 9: The Hell Stone
Chapter 10: Making Changes
Chapter 11: Uncertainty
Chapter 12: Camelot
Chapter 13: Physician's Apprentice
Chapter 14: Order for One, please
Chapter 15: Percival's Birthday
Chapter 16: Bloodbound Secrets
Chapter 17: With Mindless Actions
Chapter 18: Friendly Encounters
Chapter 19: Watch Your Back
Chapter 20: Iseldir's Wisdom
Chapter 21: Forgive and Forget
Chapter 22: Lancelot
Chapter 23: Betrayal
Chapter 24: Magic and Destiny
Chapter 25: Second Chances
Chapter 26: Starlight Whispers
Chapter 27: Farewell, Princess
Chapter 28: Feast of Beltane
Chapter 29: Morgana Pendragon
Chapter 31: Despair No More
Chapter 32: This is My Home
Epilogue
Author's Note
The Red Knight

Chapter 30: If Tomorrow Comes

504 25 3
By The3meraldQueen

"Are you ready to beg for my forgiveness?" Morgana boasts, a menacing grin plastered across her lips.

I fight to hold myself up straight, my body protesting to stand. My strength has dispersed by dangerous strides, but I don't let my struggle show. I force a smirk as I stand before the witch. "And why would I do that?"

Morgana snickers. "I was hoping a few days in that cell would make you rethink your attitude, dear sister."

I snort, "I'm not your sister. And if you think toughing out a few days in a cell will break me, you haven't learnt a thing about me from your traitorous spy...." I snap, eyes shifting around the room for a moment. "Speaking of, where is dearest Agravaine?"

"He is hunting down Arthur as we speak", Morgana chimes, enjoying our conversation far too much for my liking. "We are so alike, you and I. We're fighters. Cast out by our dearest Father for possessing something we could not begin to control. I simply want to make you my equal."

My shoulders shake with my chuckle. "Oh yes, and then kill me once you have what you want. Oh, but what do I know? I'm not a high priestess."

"Indeed you are not", Morgana agrees standing. "I have been patient, Edythe. I wouldn't usually give such luxury. But being family, I thought I'd give you a chance", she sneers ", but alas, it appears Arthur has got his hooks in you."

I snicker. "If you're going to kill me, Morgana, get it over with. We were beyond the capabilities of being friends, never mind sisters, after you had me nearly killed by Ivo."

"You will have your wish...." Morgana whispers, "but not yet."

"Why?" I hiss. "Are you incapable of killing your own? After all, you are yet to succeed in killing Arthur."

Morgana glares, "You have no idea what I'm capable of."

"Remains to be seen."

Morgana glares down her nose at me, sweeping her dress around as she returns to her throne. She is retreating to her authority again. Helios stands behind the throne, watching in curiosity. Helios almost seems amused by our conversation, eyes on me with a fondness for my sharp tongue. I smirk back at the man almost proudly.

"Very well. Watch your friends starve," Morgana concludes. "If you had simply agreed to serve me, well, I may have been kind enough to give them some supper. Gwaine wouldn't have to fight then, would he? And maybe, I would have shown them some mercy...but alas, you dug their graves for them."

I glare at the witch, never having hated someone so much in my life, and I've had so much reason to hate in the past. I know this time is different. I have people I care about at stake, which only infuriates me more.

Gwaine has been fighting for our food over the past two days, losing all the strength he has left to keep us all alive. Elyan has regained strength, but it's only a matter of time before he begins to break down. Gaius...he's gotten worse. I fear he won't make it through the night, the fear eating away at what strength I have left. I wouldn't be surprised if my hair began to turn grey from the stress if it were possible.

I know Morgana is bluffing. She wouldn't free them, even if I did join. Yet, I still feel guilty I had a possible way to save the three people I care so deeply about. The fury toward Morgana only grows as I realise her mental games are working. I want nothing more than to drive a sword through her heart. I will do my best not to break, I won't let it happen, but unfortunately, that may be not easy in my weakened state.

"I can make you a promise, Morgana", I growl. "You better pray to the gods that you kill me before I get out because, sister, you have no idea what I'm capable of."

Her green eyes remain fixed on me, a smirk growing in a mixture of amusement and shock. She nods to the guards behind me, the two men grabbing onto me and making for the door. I'm limp in their grip as they escort me back down to the cells.

After seeing the three men suffer in my cell, I have lost all care for myself. I wish she would try something, anything, so that she would no longer torment my friends. I don't think my wishes will be fulfilled. Morgana seems to have other plans for me.

I'm returned to the cell. Gwaine still slumped in the corner he was when I left, shackles on his wrists. He had long lost his shirt, various cuts over his bare skin, bruising beginning to form all over. Elyan is seated by Gaius, who is now laid on the bed, looking worse every time I lay eyes upon him. His skin is pale, and his eyes cannot stay open in his weak state.

"Same as before?" Gwaine asks, voice tired.

I nod, walking across the cell to sit by Gaius, grabbing onto his hand.

"Come on, Gaius, hold fast", Elyan whispers, trying to tend to the physician as best he can.

The cell door opens, guards flooding in. They pull Gwaine harshly to his feet, the knight giving into the pull as he has no strength left to fight. Elyan is the first to react, reaching to pull Gwaine but then being forced to the ground by another guard.

I leap to my feet. "Let him go!" I scream, bringing back my arm to throw a weak punch which is caught easily by a guard. "You can't take him!" I shriek, fighting weakly against the guard's firm grip.

He throws me back, sending me into the stone wall. My knees give out, dropping me to the floor, my body barely feeling the impact.

"Don't worry, at least we get to eat", Gwaine huffs, being pulled from our sight.

The cell door locks once more, Elyan scrambling to his feet, running over to me. So tired and weak, overwhelmed with emotion and dehydration, all I can do is cry. I know crying won't help. If anything, it will make my weakness worse for me, but I can't help it. My mind is absent, giving me no comfort in the helplessness of not seeing a way out and having to watch my friends suffer to survive.

Elyan tries to comfort me, pulling me into his chest telling me lies, but I know he means well by them. Unable to take it anymore, I draw from his hold, tears still streaming as I tumble around the room in search of something, anything that I can use to help in some. Something that will allow me to do anything.

"There has to be something", I sob, scavenging through the straw across the ground. "I've gotten out of worse places than here. See I-I know how to get o-out. I've done it before," I murmur incoherent nonsense.

My fingers scurry over the stone floor in search of something, nothing, in particular, visualising in my mind as my thoughts are blurred over, mind with Gwaine as he fights to stay alive for us.

"Edythe, you've tried already," Elyan reasons. "Don't waste your strength."

"N-No, we're going to be fine", I croak, probably more for my sanity than Elyan's.

Elyan watches me sympathetically, slowly following me around as I try to find something. Elyan grabs my shoulders, forcing me to stop in my crazed outburst.

"Edythe, you're tired," he whispers, "you need sleep."

"Edythe...?" Gaius weakly calls, hand so slightly lifting off the bed.

This brings me out of my daze, bringing tears to a stop as I pull myself from Elyan's grasp. I rush to Gaius' side, falling onto the edge of the bed and grabbing his hand in my own.

"Gaius?" I acknowledge his call. "Tell me what to do. I'll do it," I plea, wanting to help in any way I can. I've never been so concerned for people before. There's a continuous painful cramp in my stomach, wanting nothing more than to save them. Even if it were to mean I give myself up.

I can't seem to stand being in this cell anymore, needing to do something. I don't want to feel this helpless like I did once before. I don't want to fall back into that pit that I had once been in, one that had caused me to change. I don't want to change this time. I'm happy with who I am now.

"There...is nothing...you can do", Gaius whispers, voice distant.

"I could..." I feel my mind wanders to healing spells I had been taught. I curse myself for even thinking it, but I'm desperate enough to do whatever it takes to keep Gaius safe. Alive. He is my mentor and close friend. He has grown to be like a father to me, and I couldn't bear to lose him.

The tears sting my eyes once more. I can't bear to lose Elyan, such a kind and compassionate man who has been there for me. He has lost so much and deserves more than anyone can give him.

I can't bear to lose Gwaine, my best friend. I haven't had a friend in a long time, not like Gwaine is to me. He's helped me learn to adapt to the ways of Camelot. He's been there as a shoulder to cry on, to rant about my day and to whine about so many things I dislike. Gwaine is using every bit of strength he has to keep his friends alive...

The tears silently fall, blurring my thoughts.

"I could use magic", I mouth, my voice so low it's barely a wisp of air.

"No," Gaius scolds, a little more life in his response. "I don't want you...to give up your beliefs...what you've...f-fought for, for me."

"But if I don't, you'll die...."

"But if you do...you'll have lost...yourself", Gaius whispers.

His words touch something in me, something logical and understanding. Gaius is right, I would never use my magic, and I wouldn't give up that. Even when I was destined for death, I wouldn't resort to magic. Although I would do anything for him, or Elyan, or Gwaine...Gaius is right. I can't lose myself. I need to be here to be present for everyone to get out of here alive and to safety the right way. Not the easy way.

That is what Morgana wants, and I can't give her that satisfaction.

I manage to pull myself together enough to know that Gaius needs rest. I leave him alone, returning to my corner on the other side of the cell. I know I'm not thinking clearly, but giving in to the crazy thoughts seems better than staying still.

The cell is silent, Elyan seeming the only strong one at the moment. He tries to tend to both Gaius and me as best he can despite the lack of resources. I stare at the stone wall, trying to stay out of my head so that I don't have another outburst. A few drops of water roll down the wall, giving me something to focus on in the time being while we wait for Gwaine to return...if he returns.

On cue, the door to the cell opens, Gwaine stumbling in as one of the guards throw him into the cell. He looks worse, new cuts and bruises appearing over his dirt and filth stained skin. I stand, quickly making my way over to Gwaine, helping him into a seated position against the wall.

"Enjoy your supper", Morgana chimes, tossing half a loaf of mouldy bread into the cell. "I fear it'll be your last", she adds, giving me a wink before exiting the cell, the door slamming behind her.

I glare at the place where Morgana had been standing only seconds ago, wishing I had the chance to wrap my hands around her neck. Just long enough to give the woman some fear, to know I could take away her will just as quickly she has ours.

Elyan rips the bread in half, giving some to Gwaine, before turning to Gaius. "You need to eat", he gestures, placing the bread in Gaius' hand.

"Whether I eat or not...I'm not long for this world," Gaius huffs under his breath.

"Come on, Gaius."

"I'm a physician, Elyan. I've spent my days watching the cycle of life...I-If there's one thing I'm not afraid of...it's death," Gaius assures, bringing new tears to my eye. "Don't waste your food. If Gwaine has to fight again...he'll need all the strength he can get."

Elyan stands, leaving the bread in Gaius' hand.

"Here", Gwaine whispers, ripping his piece in half handing me the quarter.

"No", I protest, pushing Gwaine's hand back toward his chest. "Gwaine, you need it more than me."

"But you need to eat", Gwaine presses, trying to force the bread into my hand.

I take the bread, knowing Gwaine won't give up. He needs to keep his strength. I sit next to the knight, bread in hand, not eating as I make sure he gets something into his stomach.

I let myself calm, the relief of Gwaine being back and sitting next to me giving me some peace of mind. Enough to recollect my thoughts. I'm tired, drained from dehydration, crying and lack of food.

Although it feels stupid, I begin to pray for Arthur's return to anyone out there that listens. I pray for someone to take Gwaine, Elyan, and Gaius to a better place, leaving me behind if that is the cost. I have always known I was destined to die one way or another by the hand of someone with power, someone like Morgana. If anything, I don't fear death anymore, death being the easy part. It's the people I leave behind, the people I want to see safe that I fear for.

***

Third Person P.O.V.

Home felt so far away despite being less than a day's ride. The forest only seemed to become more consuming with each day that the people of Camelot stayed hidden in the green ocean. The people had been safe so far, Morgana having not found them or made no attempt to, as she had her mindset for Arthur. Survival was easy, but the longing for home and the warmth of a roof over their heads began to consume the positive crowd.

Leon had made sure to lead the people to safety, his leadership skills being a drive for all who escaped. Percival made his way into the forest of Essetir, joining Leon and the knights looking after the people.

For many, hope was thinning, Arthur having disappeared, Morgana on his trail no doubt. Camelot seemed lost. Yet to many, they still held on to what little hope they had, devoted to serving Arthur and Arthur alone.

When all hope almost vanished, the people were reunited with their king. They gathered around to witness Arthur Pendragon, the true king of Camelot, pull a sword from stone. There was no doubt from any of the knights of Camelot. There was only faith from the commoners and servants.

All hands were on deck. Arthur now gave his people the strength needed to march on Camelot. They would march to take back their home from the witch who stole it. There are people in Camelot who many love and cherish, many of whom had suffered for the survivors' freedom. They are ready to lay down their lives for those loved ones' freedom.

As night approached, the forest became silent, but the energy remained thick in the air. It is known that not all will survive the day ahead, but there is no fear. Only pride and courage for their home and kingdom. No man, woman or child is seen as lesser, all equal in their stand for justice.

Arthur's arrival had given hope, and come morning, that hope will be challenged. Yet there will be no fear, only courage in the hearts of all who face that challenge.

Leon looks to the distance, eyes fixed on the direction of home. He stands guard away from the gathered group. Not a single forest movement escape the knight's despite his mind being elsewhere. Leon has had no rest, no ease of mind, no time to worry about himself. He has worked hard to ensure the safety of those who escaped Morgana.

But despite his accomplishments, the knight still can't shake the guilt eating away like a parasite inside him. He had left so many behind despite how many he saved. He had left behind people significant in his life, family, friends, and others that mean so much more to him.

Many dark thoughts had crossed Leon's mind over time away from Camelot. Thoughts of what those people must be enduring. If they are still alive, that is...Leon lets out a sigh at the though, stomach churning in sickness. What if they were too late?

Arthur's arrival had brought so much hope that Leon hadn't considered the possibility that they may lose more than they gain. Although Camelot is worth fighting for alone, the people suffering for it are far more precious. There are many people left behind that Leon cares for, but one name appears in his mind more than another other.

Edythe.

Long had the knight wondered what had become of her. Had she survived? Had she not? What would Morgana do to her? Would Morgana manipulate her as so many had before? Endless questions circled his mind, but only one question mattered more than most. Is she alive?

Leon looks to the sky, looking up at the stars above. So peaceful they are in the world overhead, still beautiful despite the darkness cast below them. Their presence had always been a way for Leon to return home when he was on the road...but they have failed as of late. Somehow, despite being under the same stars, Camelot felt gone. Like it had vanished from the earth.

The knight's mind returns to the conversation with Edythe about the stars. Strange as it is, Leon finds her story fascinating and has often thought of it since. He wonders what knowledge the stars have gathered, what they're gathering right now.

"Leon?"

Leon turns in the direction of the voice, not surprised when he sees his king standing only a few feet away. Only Arthur could move so quietly to go undetected from Leon's observance.

"Sire, what are you doing away from the gathering?" Leon asks. Arthur's presence reminds him of the strategic plan to take back Camelot.

"I could ask you the same thing", Arthur concludes, joining Leon to overlook the distant land.

"I'm standing guard."

"Yes, I can see that", Arthur chuckles. "I meant, why?"

Leon shrugs, mind still distant but not quite in Camelot, where he tries to find. Being a knight, Leon wouldn't usually be this unofficial around the king. With current circumstances, one could say it's fair.

As if reading the knight's mind, Arthur sighs, "We'll get them out, Leon" he places his hand on Leon's shoulder. "I promise."

"I believe that", Leon confirms, nodding with a weak smile, "but first we must survive the night."

"How so?"

"I mean our thoughts, Sire", Leon corrects.

Arthur nods, turning to look out in the distance once more, wishing just as much as everyone else to be back home. He understands Leon's words too much, pain and regrets boiling in his blood for trusting the wrong people. He let Camelot be taken. It makes Arthur sick that he had no time to think of others over the past week, to think of the people suffering for him whilst he protected himself.

Long he had thought back to the night, the memories of his uncle marching with his wicked sister. He often thought back to when Edythe had left to find Agravaine, wishing he had stopped her. He wished he could have taken her with him when he fled. Arthur knows Morgana, and he knows she would keep Edythe alive to spite him...

Although he feels wrong to doubt Edythe, he has doubts that she may have joined Morgana. He didn't want to think it, but after seeing his uncle do just that, Arthur has convinced himself everyone he loves will eventually hurt him. Although it is only a slither, Arthur still has hope that he will yet see her again, and not as an enemy.

"Do you still believe in Edythe?" Arthur asks, his thoughts leaving his lips.

"Sire?"

"She wouldn't...betray me. Would she?"

Leon frowns, shocked that he would think that after all he and his sister had gone through together. "Of course not, Arthur. And I believe in her more than I believe in most men. She is strong-willed and fights for what she believes in. She cares so much for you, Arthur. You have given her a chance to change, a home. Edythe loves Camelot just as much as the rest of us, and she will die defending it if that's what it comes down to."

"How can you be so sure Morgana won't change her views?" Arthur asks under his breath, doubts clouding what he wants to believe.

"What I do know is that only Edythe rules Edythe's views", Leon offers, a smile on his lips. "And I know that Edythe doesn't agree with Morgana's."

Arthur nods, now lost in his thoughts once more.

"Come morning, Arthur, you will see."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57K 2.3K 10
This is the story of two men, a prince and a loyal man-servant, trying to find acceptance and happiness whilst holding onto their love for each other...
6.8K 308 17
VIGILANTE SHIT- ❝ revenge is a good look on you ❞ IN WHICH, two sorcerers in camelot are both destined to take care of the king's most beloved, arthu...
20.3K 506 15
The mythical city of Camelot, in a time before history began. A fantastical realm of legendary beasts and mysterious peoples. A dangerous worlds in w...
6.5K 191 15
The second book of Merlynn series sees our hero battle deadly assassins, magical monsters and ever more powerful sorcerers as she strives to fulfill...