Strike At Midnight || Luka Co...

By ChocAlaine

【Complete! Thank you to everyone who stayed till the end!】 Selene LeClaire- hardly fluent in French- moved to... More

Prologue
Meet the Bat Miraculous
Chapter 1 ❧ Forget
Chapter 2 ❧ Maintain Normalcy
Chapter 3 ❧ Baking Buddies
Chapter 4 ❧ Picture Perfect
Chapter 5 ❧ Anti-Hero Debut
Chapter 6 ❧ The Collector
Chapter 7 ❧ Newfound Camaraderie
Chapter 8 ❧ Calling A Truce
Chapter 9 ❧ Hero Crash Course
Chapter 10 ❧ Bittersweet Cookies
Chapter 11 ❧ Sly Fox
Chapter 12 ❧ Lousy Co-op
Chapter 13 ❧ Remember
Chapter 14 ❧ Meeting Master Shou
Chapter 15 ❧ Heart to Heart
Chapter 16 ❧ Midnight Incident
Special Merry Christmas
Chapter 17 ❧ Wipe Your Tears
Chapter 18 ❧ Ladybug's Identity
Chapter 19 ❧ Reflect
Chapter 20 ❧ Special Sweetheart
Chapter 21 ❧ A Grand Exit
Chapter 22 ❧ Blue-eyed Knight
Chapter 23 ❧ World Turns Upside Down
Chapter 24 ❧ Blind Spot
Chapter 25 ❧ Repent
Chapter 27 ❧ Finale: Last Battle
Chapter 28 ❧ Aftermath
Editing Update
Epilogue ❧ Years Later
QnA

Chapter 26 ❧ Finale: Heroes Assemble

2.2K 98 44
By ChocAlaine

On our way to our destination, we ran into many ordeals, especially from people desperate for rescue. Even for me, I was torn between facing Hawkmoth and saving the civilians who needed help right then and there, but before we could give up our former cause, something unexpected happened. From the smallest child to the strongest man, they held their ground. Everyone around us took action, using their mere wits and and numbers to rival super villains.

Somehow they all understood that we have something to pursue so they paved our way. I realised that atleast for the time being, they didn't need a hero to save them. It gave me the courage to to turn away and leave for now.

Once we arrived, I stop Adrien. "Can you be honest with me? In the back of your head do you think that maybe I'm lying to you- that I've really set a trap?" I look down on the jewellery safe in my hands. "You've trusted me so quickly."

"You'll never hurt me- or us. That much I know." Adrien places a firm hand on my shoulder. "No matter what, I'll always see you as my dear sister and that will never change. Even if we're not related by blood, we grew up by each other's side."

I smile, but I don't quite meet his gaze. The sense of doubt still creeps slowly into my mind.

"You might doubt me now, but I'm sure that at some point in your life, you made a risk to trust a stranger completely despite them having nothing but words to beckon you." Adrien ruffles my hair without warning.

"Hey!" I push him away as he laughs mischievously. I pat down my disheveled hair. "Don't be a jerk."

"Have faith in yourself, Sel," He says before gently shoving me forward with a protective hand behind my back. "We'll be ready at your signal." He disappears as he turns a corner.

I pull out my handphone and call Nathalie. I can't help but smirk when she answers by the first ring. Since the beginning, I've always bowed my to Hawkmoth and Nathalie. I've always done as told which was to play along as an accomplice. They haven't seen me play along like a villain.

If all my years using lies and deceit was any good, it should have a greater effect if I use it on my own accord.

"It's a lovely evening isn't it?" I ask, observing the starry sky above. "I mean, if you tune out the cries on the innocents in the streets, that is."

"I see you have decided," Nathalie answers, unperturbed.

"Straight to the point. I have in my hand right now are Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculous. It was difficult to acquire them. Don't you know how immoral it is to betray friends?" I say in a dreamlike tone.

"If you are playing one of your foolish tricks, you will pay for it."

I make a loud, obnoxious sigh. "Call me a liar all you want but you'll see it for yourself soon enough."

"Unfortunately, you'll have to choose one," Natalie says.

"Excuse me?" I ask, temper rising.

"Choose between the snake miraculous and your friend," she explains. My grip on my phone tightens but I maintain my calm demeanor or else it would show in my voice. Hawkmoth would want to keep the snake miraculous so he would force me to choose while knowing I would pick Luka over the miraculous any day.

"Oh we're playing that game are we? Lucky for you, I like games. Since I have two assets too, why don't you go ahead pick. Only. One. It would be a fair trade." I emphasise my words. There's silence from the other end. It's so quiet that I could hear the pounding of my heart through my ears.

"I expect that you bring both miraculous and you will receive both the miraculous and your friend," she says finally. I hold in a sigh of relief but I allow my shoulders to relax.

"Fantastic! Wasn't that easy?" Easy does it- I'm almost there.

"Shall I arrange an escort to pick you up?" Nathalie ignores my previous comment.

"Not at all, but I expect a warm welcome." I walk towards the gate, to the screen built into the wall and wave at the CCTV camera.

To my surprise, the Gorilla escorted me inside, he greeted me with his signature gruffness and it was as if he was pushing me towards my execution through a death march. Regardless, I flashed him my brightest smile. I don't want to show weakness like how terrified I actually am to return back to the heart of my struggle.

He led me to an unsmiling Nathalie and she merely nodded at me. She brought me to the hidden elevator to the underground base while the Gorilla remained outside  the room, keeping his guard up. He's probably suspicious- that I might have a trick up my sleeve- which I do.

"Further down the rabbit hole we go," I mumble under my breath. As Nathalie and I ride the lift to the lowest level. I've only had the honour to visit this area a handful of times, but without fail it evoked a dreadful feeling that stuck to me even after I've already left. The lower the lift dropped, the darker our surroundings became. It's like using Oblivion too many times that my vision becomes darker.

"Sel! I've missed you so much," Lila still dressed as Volpina greets me when the lift doors open. When I pass by her in ignorance, she grabs my arm to stop me. "I've been imagining ways to strangle you."

"Really? I've never spared a second to think about you," I snap haughtily. It's worth it when her smirk morphs into a scowl- knowing I've gotten under her skin.

"You'll shut up once my fist-"

"I'm not here to fight," I interrupt. "If you so much as lay a finger on me, I'll withdraw and the deal is off." I still can't believe Gabriel let him stick around. She may be useful to him but she's overly obnoxious and severely narcissistic.

"It's...lovely to see you again, Selene," Gabriel's voice echoes loudly in the underground. "But I am, admittedly, disappointed of how you turned out."

"Mr Agreste, or is it Hawkmoth?" The infamous super villain unhurriedly climbs down a spiral steel staircase leading up to his butterfly garden. His footfalls elicit even louder noises against the metal.

"Where did you take my son?" He demands. A pang of hurt stings my chest but I brush it off. Even after all this time, it's still unpleasant to know he never quite accepted me as family.

"I've said it before; I have no idea. If I did, I would have used him instead of the superheroes' miraculous in exchange for what I want," I lie. "I came here fir Luka and his miraculous."

"I had large expectations for you. I raised you alongside Adrien but his obedience never rubbed off on you. You could atleast be thankful you had a roof above your head."

I shake my head furiously. "I'm grateful- I really am- but someone has to stand up and say to your face that what you're doing is wrong."

My hands begin to tremble and I flinch when I meet his eyes. "Let Emilie sleep in peace. Do you think something good would come in waking the dead? She won't be the same!"

"Don't reason with me, Selene. I've heard it all before. Nothing can stop me from getting back the one I love. It wasn't her time just yet. I thought you shared my views."

"I did," I confess. "But someone opened my eyes and I realised that what is best for all of us to heal. Stop living in the past because we have to move on."

"That's enough!" I jump back, even Nathalie and Volpina are frightened at his sudden outburst. He extends an empty palm. "You can't stop the inevitable. Now give me the miraculous."

"Not until I see Luka," I say stubbornly. Gabriel snaps his fingers and Nathalie reappears beside me with Luka behind her. "Luka!"

I'm about to reach out towards him when Nathalie stops me. Holding out a blue-green bracelet in the shape of a snake, she says,"A deal is a deal."

"Mmmph!" Luka muffles under the cloth keeping him silent. His eyes are wide with fear. He shakes his head.

I tentatively pull out the black ring and pair of earrings from my pocket. With one hand, I place the jewellery on Nathalie's palm as I receive the snake miraculous on my other. She turns away and towards Hawkmoth and passes him the jewellery. "Finally! Dark wings fall!"

Hawkmoth detransform right before our eyes- along with Volpina. A lavender-coloured kwami with wings appear momentarily before Gabriel takes off the butterfly-like brooch on his chest and places it into a tiny box.

Without a moment to lose, I hastily untie the binds around Luka's wrists and tear out the cloth on his mouth. "Sel, I can't believe-"

"Shh. We have to leave. Come on," I whisper as I tug on his sleeve. He follows me compliantly into the lift as the other three are busy watching Gabriel in anticipation. I've already jabbed the lift button closed while Gabriel wear the black ring and then the clip-on earrings. Two kwamis appear in front of him, one is dark and brooding while the other; crimson and kindly.

•●•●•●•●•

Gabriel's POV.

The moment I've been waiting for is finally here. With these miraculous combined, I can finally take back who was stolen from me. No longer do I have to drown in my sorrows and from the depression I've fought so hard to hide from my dear son. I'm just one step away from getting back the glorious, blissful family I once had.

You don't have to wait any longer my love.

As I wear the two miraculous disguised as common accessories, a pair of kwamis appear.
I hold back surprise as I view the kwamis for the first time. "Wait, something seems odd."

"Goodness, master! You look pale- have you been eating right? This dark place doesn't do you any favours," the crimson kwami says in voice like tinkling bells as she zips around me. What I didn't expect from the Ladybug kwami was the tiny, bright orange beak at the centre of its face. "How about we get some sun?"

"What a surprise. How have you been, Da-Xia?" The dark-coloured kwami narrows his eyes but greets the red kwami politely. The black cat kwami had suspicious-looking pair of wings similar to a bat's.

"Oh, I've been well in the box. Xiè xie, Grimm," she replies cheerfully. "I'm very sorry for burning a few buildings- I didn't know what came over me!"

"That's all right. It was unpleasant but that was eight years ago and you were under your former master's control," Grimm assures.

"Eight years?! It's been so long already? Walao- I have to see the sun soon or else I'll turn into a gremlin." Grimm cringes every time she cries out.

"What is the meaning of this?" Gabriel demands. Suddenly, as if a pulling force beckoned him, his gaze switches over to Selene, riding the lift upwards. I could faintly see- or the lack of- the missing ribbon around her neck collar.

Turning to Nathalie, I yell, "Don't let them escape!"

Nathalie speaks in hurried whispers in her communicator connected to the Gorilla's upstairs. While she's busy, Lila snatches the silver box from Nathalie's hands. "Hey, don't-"

"I'll handle this!" Lila says, boiling with frustration. "Dark wings rise!"

•●•●•●•●•

Selene's POV.

The elevator comes to an abrupt stop during its journey upwards. The impact causes it to tremble, sending me and Luka to fall onto the lift floor. I ask him, "Are you okay?"

He reaches for my hand and holds it tight, not planning to ever let go. "Yeah, but you shouldn't have traded the miraculous for me."

"You're spitting nonsense. I would do it again if I have to," I say, squeezing his hand. "I wish we had enough time to atleast have left the underground." Pulling out Ladybug's communicator appearing as a compact mirror, I flick it open and it emits a reassuring beep.

"You're hands are shaking," he points out in concern. Pecking Luka on the cheek, I slip the snake miraculous around his wrist. He splutters, a red blush appearing on his cheeks, as I beam at him. Just a quick and effective motivator. I hope he doesn't hear the painful and terrified hammering of my heartbeat.

The lift lurches again but this time, it descends back to the lowest level. We pull ourselves back to our feet as we prepare for the lift doors to reopen. Once more, I fish out from my pocket a pair of foldable glasses and place them on my nose. A tiny gray horse with a snowy white mane appears in a ball of light. "To what do I owe the pleasure of being called upon?"

"Nice to meet you. I'm Selene but we don't have much time to converse," I greet briefly. Her refined speech or the snobbish way she looks down on me doesn't quite faze me as she might have hoped. After all, Grimm exhibits a similar attitude, but I want him back regardless. "Kaalki, full gallop!"

"Woah," I say simply. A blue glow wraps around my figure and I re-emerge. I inspect my figure clad in a dark brown full body suit, and run my hands along my pale, braided hair. It feels odd not retaining my hood that usually hangs over my head. "I can never get used to this."

"Sass, scales slither," Luka commands, converting into his Viperion persona.

When the lift doors open, we charge out. I've mentally prepared myself but I get the shock of my life. Lila has a devilish smirk playing on her lips as a purple mask contrasts her glowing green eyes and a sweeping purple dress hugs her form. Would you look at that, it's like Hawkmoth switched genders. "As the time goes by, I feel Hawkmoth's powers become stronger and stronger to the point that my illusion become even more life-like."

"Lila stand down," Gabriel demands.

Lila looks at her gloved hands with wonderstruck eyes and her lips forming a silent gasp. "This power is nothing I've ever imagined! I want it all!"

Thunderous flapping noises fill the musky air as dozens and dozens of violet-streaked akumas appear from out of nowhere. Not even Hawkmoth is capable of such prowess.

"You're akumas are useless on us," I declare as my grip on Luka's hand tightens.

"Not if I make fear become your enemy," Lila says.

"Lila, you are under our orders," Nathalie says, pressing her authority.

"I work for nobody but my self. You are all above me!"

Nathalie shrieks, the sound rings with pain and horror. A single butterfly brushes her arm, disintegrating upon contact, but instead of changing Nathalie, a purplish colour spreads from her arm throughout her body like a disease.

I cry out in shock. "What did you do to her?!"

"The power of transmission has various depictions. Hawkmoth could have done so much more with these abilities," Lila says, the air seems to vibrate with apprehension the more Lila's smile grows.

"Stop it you're going to kill her!" I yell. Nathalie's knees buckle onto the floor as she's reduced to coughing fits. I'm too far away to run after her. If I don't play my cards right, I might drop dead from the toxic insects.

"Why don't you play hero and save her," Lila taunts.

"Lila, if you bring me Ladybug and Chat Noir's miraculous, you're free to do whatever you desire. Nothing will be able to stop you," Gabriel takes the risk to persuade the ticking time bomb.

"I'll do anything to mess with the stupid bug and cat." Lila accepts the offer without a second thought. Her thirst for destruction and dominance clouds her logic.

The storm of butterflies draws ever close to me and Luka. It seems ironic how harmless-looking butterflies could cause so much suffering. Glancing at me, Luka asks, "Do you have a plan?"

"Maybe," I reply doubtfully. He nods, letting go of my hand hesitantly. I fight the urge to reach out again. "Kaalki, voyage!"

I shoot an electric blue light into the air. It expands like a black hole until a handful of superheroes in bright coloured costumes pass through. The bridge from the underground to the outside allows help to come to the rescue.

"Good work!" Ladybug praises me as she enters the magic portal followed by Chat Noir, Rena Rouge, Carapace and Queen Bee.

"When your five minutes are up, take cover," Chat Noir warns me.

"Your numbers will add up to nothing but dead bodies," Lila says. She raises an arm by her silent command, a handful of butterflies transmogrify into actual people with familiar faces who were past victims of an akuma. Oh, she can do that now?

"Man, Hawkmoth was really holding himself back," Chat Noir say aloud, comparing Hawkmoth's abilities to Lila's.

"Surrender your good-for-nothing miraculous now. You can't defeat me!" Lila announces.

"This is ridiculous," Chloe mumbles, adopting a defensive stance.

"Dream on, Lila Ross!" Ladybug shouts in reply.

My eyes flit over to one of the kwamis beside Gabriel. Grimm gives me a look of resolve as unspoken words pass between us.

This could be the last battle so we have to make it count.

•●•●•●•●•

Happy Chinese Year, everybody! Also to all readers at certain places, please stay healthy! Wash your hands, and wear a sanitary mask if you have to.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

99.8K 3.4K 24
(Yes, I know. Lukanette is something that is both loved and hated. But for me I like Lukanette. But if you don't then just read something else. Simpl...
74.9K 2.6K 25
A young vampire, Luka, lives in the flourishing city of Paris, a city of love and lights. But ever since his birth, Luka has been cursed with living...
801K 27K 54
Y/n Dupain-Cheng never got along with her fraternal twin sister Marinette. With opposite, colliding personalities, the two have a final fight that e...
36.4K 1.3K 50
MIRACULOUS TALES OF CAT NOIR AND LADYBUG FANFICTION "Where could they be?!" Adrien Agreste's mind was wrapped around this question ever since Marinet...