Short Breaks 1-20 - Complete

By YvonneKindle

A collection of twenty short stories from various prompts. Table of Contents: 1. List - What happens when a g... More

List
The Editor
Day at the Office
Ping
Vacation - Barcelona
The Unfortunate Cheese Incident
Slow
Day 376
Procrastination
Don't Stop
Get In, Loser...
The Listening of Dr. Asimov
The Listening of the Anstead Trial, Part 1
Without My Glasses
Marvin the Marvelous
The Scent of Tears
Writer's Block
Ice Cream in Heaven
Tired

On Being Human

21 5 6
By YvonneKindle

7x7x7 Writing Prompt, part 2. Part 3 is the next chapter.

~~~

We forget our values. In those moments when we are faced with our greatest fears, we forget our values.

We forget that our fellow humans are... well, that they are human. They, like us, have only the most basic of desires: to be loved and to be understood. Of course, the two go hand in hand for who can feel one without the other?

We forget that to do harm is wrong. In our unconscious, overpowering quest to preserve the Youngian ego, we forget that hurting others because we have been hurt is counterproductive; and eye for an eye until the whole world is blind.

We forget that to do nothing in the face of great evil is, by definition, evil in and of itself. Permission is as damning as action.

What does it take to keep us from forgetting our values in these moments? Some say that it is simply, yet not so simply, practice. Practice at holding those values to us. Practice at girding ourselves with those values. Practice at being... human.

For that is what we are. Human. For better or worse, we are creatures that run from painful things, that run from fear. Why? Because, we forget our values. In those moments when we are faced with our greatest fears, we forget our values.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 17.3K 3
*Wattys 2018 Winner / Hidden Gems* CREATE YOUR OWN MR. RIGHT Weeks before Valentine's, seventeen-year-old Kate Lapuz goes through her first ever br...
28.8M 914K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...
7.2M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
97.8K 14.4K 78
Short Story and Os book Cover credit: @sidnaaz_alaxy